Shorey not a one cap wonder

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 23 Aug 2007 09:20

Archies Volley
Norfolk Royal Can we just clear this up.

A bloke in my office is insisting that for Germany's first goal, it was Shorey who hacked it out to Germany's right wing and then the bloke slung the cross back in.

But the way I saw it, it was Robinson who hacked it out.

Who is right?

you are

def robinson

should have left it to shorey (and held the shot in the first place!)

i thought it was definitely shorey who cleared it.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 23 Aug 2007 09:21

I thought Shorey showed a lot more going forward than he has so far this season for us. Hopefully he can reproduce his England form in a blue and white shirt now.

However I've mentioned on here his lack of closing down this season and yet again he allowed the winger acres of time to whip the cross in for the goal.

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 23 Aug 2007 09:22

Only one Trevor Morley
Archies Volley

A bloke in my office is insisting that for Germany's first goal, it was Shorey who hacked it out to Germany's right wing and then the bloke slung the cross back in.

Who is right?

you are

def robinson

oh dear - maybe i had more to drink than i thought!

i still say robinson but maybe some one needs to find the you tube link so we can all watch again!

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 23 Aug 2007 09:24

Archies Volley
Only one Trevor Morley
Archies Volley

Who is right?

you are

def robinson

i still say robinson but maybe some one needs to find the you tube link so we can all watch again!
Watch the replay if you can. Robinson kicks it almost from underneath Nicky while lying on the ground. Shorey then does stand too far from the player who crosses it.

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 23 Aug 2007 09:25

Scarface I thought Shorey showed a lot more going forward than he has so far this season for us. Hopefully he can reproduce his England form in a blue and white shirt now.

However I've mentioned on here his lack of closing down this season and yet again he allowed the winger acres of time to whip the cross in for the goal.

:roll: :roll:

because he was in the area covering the keepers initial mistake (and maybe or maybe not making a poor clearence - read other posts!)

no way he could get out to the touch line to block the cross from where he was but if i am wrong and it was his clearence then he should take some blame

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 23 Aug 2007 09:32

I think he was fine last night, in fact I think England were fine defensively - not sure what all the moaning is about (one goalkeeping error, one amazing strike - did the Germans have any other shots on goal?).

I was watching Nicky carefully and he made very few errors, especially compared to e.g. Beckham, Joe Cole who kept giving the ball away. He got forward on a few occasions and put a couple of great crosses and attacking passes in, which unfortunately came to nothing. He was fairly solid defensively. Should have cleared better for the first goal but you have to apportion a lot of blame to the goalie and to the flatfooted centre halves who should have reacted quicker to Robinson's mistake.

Easily good enough for England (which is not necessarily saying a great deal).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2007 09:35

Archies Volley
Scarface I thought Shorey showed a lot more going forward than he has so far this season for us. Hopefully he can reproduce his England form in a blue and white shirt now.

:roll: :roll:

because he was in the area covering the keepers initial mistake (and maybe or maybe not making a poor clearence - read other posts!)

no way he could get out to the touch line to block the cross from where he was but if i am wrong and it was his clearence then he should take some blame

It was his clearance, anybody who thinks it wasn't is either blind or was drunk during the game.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 23 Aug 2007 09:41

Can anyone confirm one way or another for sure - I am adamant Shorey cleared the ball.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2007 09:43

Robinson saved a long-ish range shot and spilled it. Shorey was nearest defender and recovered loose ball. Striker closed him down and he did one of those chip pass/clearance things that he does.

German winger picked the ball up just before it went out and crossed before Shorey could get out to close down......you know the rest.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 23 Aug 2007 09:43

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwaAH0GJbQ

video evidence that it was robinsons clearance

ffs its me who supposed to act like a child

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 23 Aug 2007 09:47

willz_royal http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwaAH0GJbQ

video evidence that it was robinsons clearance

ffs its me who supposed to act like a child

Bizarre !

That clip shows totally the opposite to expressed wisdom but most people !

Shorey gets a touch which sends the ball back towards Robinson who clearly boots it out wide.

Shorey gets pretty close to the winger but holds off when he could have flung himslef intot he tackle (and may have ben made to look a mug),.

So
1. It was 100% Robinson who cleared it
2. Shorey was probably a touch too far off his man and was in a position to have got closer.
Last edited by Behindu on 23 Aug 2007 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 23 Aug 2007 09:47

Nope - it was defintely Robinson who cleared the ball just as Shorey was about to deal with it.

A bit hard on Shorey blaming him for the goal - he was never going to get out to block the cross in time.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 23 Aug 2007 09:47

I didn't see the first half and so I've only seen the replays, but I thought it was Robinson's clearance.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2007 09:50

I'll hold my hands up then if that's what people are seeing - sworn blind it was Shorey's clearance when watching both live and on the replays.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 23 Aug 2007 09:52

It looked like Shorey cleared it from every camera angle except one, and from that angle it looks obvious that Robinson cleared it.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 23 Aug 2007 10:00

Wow - I'm totally wrong. i would have staked everything on Shorey being the one who cleared it.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Aug 2007 10:00

Archies Volley
Only one Trevor Morley
Archies Volley

Who is right?

you are

def robinson

It was absolutely Robinson. In fact, had he left it to the left-footed Shorey, who would have put his foot through the ball into row Z, England would not have conceded that farcical effort.

We would have had to wait for another farcical effort later. :wink:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Aug 2007 10:07

It was Andy Hinchcliffe's clearance, Woods should have done better

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 23 Aug 2007 10:10

If Reading played England, we would win!

England are so useless....... There is so much pressure on the team that all the players play such useless unadventurous football.

They don't have the guts to try and play a little bit. Shorey didn't make enough forward runs and when he got the ball, no one ran into areas so that he could play them in. He kept having to sweep it across the back four.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Aug 2007 10:13

Top Flight If Reading played England, we would win!

England are so useless....... There is so much pressure on the team that all the players play such useless unadventurous football.

They don't have the guts to try and play a little bit. Shorey didn't make enough forward runs and when he got the ball, no one ran into areas so that he could play them in. He kept having to sweep it across the back four.

I disagree entirely. Shorey was not helped by the fact that it took Joe Cole 37 minutes to pass the ball to him (and yes, I was watching for it), and then when he did it was a bloody hospital ball.

Not much use charging forward if you ain't gonna get the ball, methinks.
Last edited by Franchise FC on 23 Aug 2007 10:14, edited 1 time in total.