A message to you Leroy

134 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 31 Oct 2007 14:57

A highly paid footballer should be able to adjust to a ball coming in 'slightly' behind him - he wasn;t under pressure and had time to take a touch.

People are foregtting his other mess up - he was lucky it led to Kitson's goal !!

But my point was largely in defence of him - strikers miss chances, it's part of the territory. There just isn;t any point blaming it on 'luck' when both were poor technique.
Last edited by Behindu on 31 Oct 2007 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 31 Oct 2007 14:59

Woodcote Royal I'd have backed Nugent to score a hattrick with the chances Leroy missed on Saturday.......................

Not if you are a Pompey fan :lol: He did a typical Savage / Brooker moment where he was running into the box one on one with the keeper in the Carling Cup and tripped over his own leg and the ball went rolling into the keepers hands. No one was ever near him at the time :lol: :lol:

I'll keep Lita thanks

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Oct 2007 18:47

brendywendy
Behindu
2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm sorry but you CAN'T have a go at someone for missing sitters.

Can happen to absolutely anyone, and doesn't reflect anything other than bad luck.

Time to bring in the Gary Player quote about the harder he works the luckier he gets...

Neither of Leroy's misses were down to 'luck'. There were no slight deflections or bad bobbles. They were bad misses and down to poor technique.

But it doesn;t make him a bad player or a bad person and he'll miss more easy chances in his career.

No forward finishes 100% of his chances but Leroy needs to learn and would do himslef an awful lot of good if he did remember to watch the ball and get his legs the right way round....

actually the 1st chance was due to the ball coming at him quickly and slightly behind him, his last second readjustment caused him to misskick.
a trifle unlucky
and the second was just a bad 1st touch.
doyle also had an airshot in the same game and probably had a bad 1st touch too
its just litas were so obvious, in the middle of the box, on his own
and only lita gets slagged off

pure unbridles racism :wink:

Exactly.

To me this all just stinks of a simmering dislike for a guy for because of his off field antics, whcih quite frankly have sweet f.a. to do with us. And it's now exploding into a total non-point because of a couple of misses that every sriker does.

Had Doyle made those chances would we be commenting on anything?

As I/others laboriously pointed out during previous threads on the underlying subject what he does off the pitch should be irrelevant. Might as well get to the main issue that's hiding under the surface and come straight out with it - do you like Lita?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 31 Oct 2007 20:53

2 world wars, 1 world cup Might as well get to the main issue that's hiding under the surface and come straight out with it - do you like Lita?

No, no I don't.

There you go.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 Oct 2007 21:18

Jerry St Clair
2 world wars, 1 world cup Might as well get to the main issue that's hiding under the surface and come straight out with it - do you like Lita?

No, no I don't.

There you go.

why? please explain?

good player with alot of potential.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 31 Oct 2007 21:46

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 01 Nov 2007 07:50

[quote="AbovetheI"]

" O Leroy stike me harder " ! :lol:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Nov 2007 08:24

Behindu A highly paid footballer should be able to adjust to a ball coming in 'slightly' behind him - he wasn;t under pressure and had time to take a touch.

People are foregtting his other mess up - he was lucky it led to Kitson's goal !!

But my point was largely in defence of him - strikers miss chances, it's part of the territory. There just isn;t any point blaming it on 'luck' when both were poor technique.

Football is a game of mistakes.

That is all really.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 01 Nov 2007 12:26

Leroy Lita at 7:29pm on October 30th, 2007
get out of my face

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 Nov 2007 12:36

Geekins
Woodcote Royal I'd have backed Nugent to score a hattrick with the chances Leroy missed on Saturday.......................

Not if you are a Pompey fan :lol: He did a typical Savage / Brooker moment where he was running into the box one on one with the keeper in the Carling Cup and tripped over his own leg and the ball went rolling into the keepers hands. No one was ever near him at the time.

And again last night V Bolton.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 01 Nov 2007 12:38

Jerry has held a personal vendetta against Leroy for some time. This is probably due to an incident at a well known Bagshot nightclub featuring an attractive blonde from Thatcham, a girl-guide from Godalming, Leroy and .....sorry I have said too much already.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Nov 2007 13:12

Behindu A highly paid footballer should be able to adjust to a ball coming in 'slightly' behind him - he wasn;t under pressure and had time to take a touch.

It's 'easy' when watched in slow motion. Real time he would need to be able to dance better than Muhammad Ali to take a touch and/or reposition his feet!

As for his other 'mess up', any chance he either had a call or realised that Kitson was behind him and deliberately let the ball run through his legs? And wasn't it his initial aerial challenge that led to the ball breaking to us anyway?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 01 Nov 2007 13:24

RoyalBlue It's 'easy' when watched in slow motion. Real time he would need to be able to dance better than Muhammad Ali to take a touch and/or reposition his feet! ?

I see nothing wrong in expecting our international forwards to be able to do things in real time, even if requires a bit of reflex adjustment. Whether it was 'difficult' or not isn;t the point. It wasn't 'unlucky' - he was unable to carry out the technique required.

RoyalBlue As for his other 'mess up', any chance he either had a call or realised that Kitson was behind him and deliberately let the ball run through his legs??

If he wasn;t able to adjust his feet in the first example what makes you think he would have reacted to a call in the second ? One or the other RB, one or the other !!!

RoyalBlue And wasn't it his initial aerial challenge that led to the ball breaking to us anyway?

No idea, but as I'm not being critical of Leroy I don;t think there is any real need to try and compile a list of + and - points from the game. I'm happy for him to not be perfect, I'm just not happy for him to be allowed the imperfections to be excused on the grounds of 'bad luck'.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Nov 2007 13:26

RoyalBlue
It's 'easy' when watched in slow motion. Real time he would need to be able to dance better than Muhammad Ali to take a touch and/or reposition his feet!

As for his other 'mess up', any chance he either had a call or realised that Kitson was behind him and deliberately let the ball run through his legs? And wasn't it his initial aerial challenge that led to the ball breaking to us anyway?

Thats called doing your job!

Leroy played quite well against Newcastle. He worked hard, got into good positions and played his part in the win. He missed a couple of sitters which he should've put away but thats life.

I wish he'd start to actually get the ball under control though. The number of times he'd do the hard bit of holding off a defender and getting into a position to keep posession the ball but he'd just let it run. It's as if he's trying to make himself look clever but trying to much, or prove how strong he is by holding off the defender more than he needs to.

For me that sums up his arrogance and attitude. He doesn't come across as a pleasent bloke, and rates himself far to highly. He is just typical of his generation of wide boy footballers and I won't be surprised if Coppell accepts any decent offers that come in for him.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Nov 2007 13:27

Riseley Jerry has held a personal vendetta against Leroy for some time. This is probably due to an incident at a well known Bagshot nightclub featuring an attractive blonde from Thatcham, a girl-guide from Godalming, Leroy and .....sorry I have said too much already.

I heard the Llama recovered though, however the Vicar was rather alarmed at the time.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Nov 2007 14:12

Hoop Blah
RoyalBlue

Thats called doing your job!

Leroy played quite well against Newcastle. He worked hard, got into good positions and played his part in the win. He missed a couple of sitters which he should've put away but thats life.

I wish he'd start to actually get the ball under control though. The number of times he'd do the hard bit of holding off a defender and getting into a position to keep posession the ball but he'd just let it run. It's as if he's trying to make himself look clever but trying to much, or prove how strong he is by holding off the defender more than he needs to.

For me that sums up his arrogance and attitude. He doesn't come across as a pleasent bloke, and rates himself far to highly. He is just typical of his generation of wide boy footballers and I won't be surprised if Coppell accepts any decent offers that come in for him.

I agree 100%.

It is as if he is playing to the audience with everything he does. Every touch, every mannerism, every move, every jump seems specifically designed to look good to his mates rather than to play the percentages within his (rather limited) skillset.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Nov 2007 14:17

Royal Rother Every touch, every mannerism, every move, every jump seems specifically designed to look good to his mates rather than to play the percentages within his (rather limited) skillset.

:lol:

What are you talking about?

It's hard to take your opinions on the Leroy debate with any credibility in any case as you have continually and vocally nailed your colours to that particular mast. FWIW, I thought he caused Newcastle a few problems on Saturday but deserves a bit of a slating for two appaling misses which could have cost us.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Nov 2007 14:20

A few people dislike Leroy, and that does not make a level-headed opinion about Leroy's football ability.

You can spot them a mile off.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Nov 2007 14:32

floyd__streete
Royal Rother Every touch, every mannerism, every move, every jump seems specifically designed to look good to his mates rather than to play the percentages within his (rather limited) skillset.

It's hard to take your opinions on the Leroy debate with any credibility in any case as you have continually and vocally nailed your colours to that particular mast. FWIW, I thought he caused Newcastle a few problems on Saturday but deserves a bit of a slating for two appaling misses which could have cost us.

Anybody who has a clear recollection of my posts about Lita (rather than the totally slanted one that you and many others have, mainly on the back of one infamous thread the opening post of which was ultimately taken completely out of context) will recall that I have been extremely complimentary about him when it has been deserved.

I just see things a bit more clearly than you do, and don't let the results affect my moods and opinions in the way you do.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Nov 2007 14:38

Royal Rother
floyd__streete

Anybody who has a clear recollection of my posts about Lita (rather than the totally slanted one that you and many others have, mainly on the back of one infamous thread the opening post of which was ultimately taken completely out of context) will recall that I have been extremely complimentary about him when it has been deserved.

I just see things a bit more clearly than you do, and don't let the results affect my moods and opinions in way you do.

Where on Earth did this come from?

Every touch, every mannerism, every move, every jump seems specifically designed to look good to his mates rather than to play the percentages within his (rather limited) skillset.

This is not a clear recollection of Leroy playing football, it's not true at all.

It's as if you're describing a Sunday football park player, not a Premiership footballer.

134 posts