Martin Williams & others (a where are they now thread)

122 posts
Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 12 Jan 2008 19:07

glass half full Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Ricky Newman is still going strong and playing for Aldershot Town.

The c**t. :wink:

fridaysback

by fridaysback » 12 Jan 2008 19:42

The Wycombe game ended up 3-2. Some interesting comment's from Graham's report on the game:

More of the same at the start of the second half until half way through Bernal, playing right wing-back, took a great run down the wing to deliver a spot-on cross to a determined Williams legging it through the middle into the box. Williams made no mistake with a superb header leaving the ball firmly in the back of the net. 3-1 to the Royals and it was looking safe

Then, oh how we were deluded:

Slowly Reading are getting better and better. Burns is slowly getting the team to play exactly how he wants it to be played.

And how far we have come since then (Oct 1998):

There were even chants of "We Are Going Up!" today. Strange but true.

I remember that ! Five of us couldn't get tickets in the away end ( some kind of disused cow shed/barn) We sat in the woodland stand with the wycombe supporters. One of those great examples of when you say before the match we wont celebrate our goals (if we get any !). To a man we all jumped up at the first and blew our cover. Fortunately a couple of our lads had the look of Phil Mitchell and depsite a few choice comments we came away unscathed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Jan 2008 00:50

Archie's penalty
SWLR Two memories:

My first ever game of any sought my dad took me to was at Stag Meadow to watch W&E reserves :oops: - as I behaved myself, a year later we went to a Reading game.

Skittles was the only player to come out with any credit from the thrashing at Millwall (5-0?) on a cold winter's night during Pardew's nadir. Ran his little socks off, unlike the rest of the gutless t*ssers who just rolled over.

Exactly - that's why I liked him - he always tried. For three or four years none of our players gave a cr*p. Skittles did...

Did he f*ck. He spent most games standing around with his hands on his hips looking p*ssed off at the rest of the team. I always thought he was sh*t.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re:

by KC Royal » 27 Oct 2008 11:49

Royal Rother Windsor & Eton (under new manager Keith Scott) continued their excellent run of form with another injury time winner against Godalming last week, after which Martin Williams got involved in a melee, flattened one of their players, and received his marching orders.

Keith Scott took over when they were languishing in mid-table and were 13 points off the playoffs, so it was a fantastic effort for him to get them into the playoffs at the end of the season. Not bad for someone who the fans didn't want! Also, didnt realise he actually played for them as well, in 03/04, scoring 14 goals in 35 games that season, to help them move up from Ryman 1 South to Ryman Prem. (I say move up, it was effectively the same level with the introduction of Conf South the following season). Apparently he's a bit of a cult hero!

Is Martin Williams still at the club? Also read recently that Alex Haddow was at Bognor Regis Town in Blue Square South, although they had financial problems in the summer so he may have left by now.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Martin Williams (a where are they now thread)

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2008 12:08

I don't think they actually made it to the play offs in the end. Yes, Martin Williams is still there although he hasn't played in the last few games - think he might be injured...

The fans I talk to were delighted to get Keith Scott - not sure why you think they didn't want him.

W&E are on a roll now - 11 goals in the last 2 games and up to 3rd in the table (briefly top last week).

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Oct 2008 12:30

Neville Roach scored a hattrick for Didcot on Saturday!

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 27 Oct 2008 13:06

Royal Rother I don't think they actually made it to the play offs in the end. Yes, Martin Williams is still there although he hasn't played in the last few games - think he might be injured...

The fans I talk to were delighted to get Keith Scott - not sure why you think they didn't want him.

W&E are on a roll now - 11 goals in the last 2 games and up to 3rd in the table (briefly top last week).

No, it doesnt seem like they made the playoffs last season having investigated further. Had thought you said that they made the playoffs on the non-league thread on General Football last season, but having double-checked it seems you didnt :oops:

As for their fans not wanting Scott.. There was a poll on their forum just before he was appointed asking who the fans wanted to be the new manager and very few people voted for him!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 27 Oct 2008 13:10

a good friend of mine played for Reading in the late 90's, and he has confirmed that Martin Williams has the largest cock of any he's seen in his career.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 27 Oct 2008 19:21

Most memorable Martin Williams moment, although not necessarily his finest hour and a half:-

1997/98 season, home against Forest, who were running away with the league at the time: We were 2-0 down and being outclassed in front of the Sky cameras, with weemingly no hope of turning the game round. Williams chased through after a long ball which Dave Beasant in the Forest goal looked favourite to get. Williams somehow managed to stand on Dave Beasants foot and fall over. The ref saw it as a straight red for Beasant. The look on Beasant's face was was absolutely brilliant, and it was well worth the admission money just to see that. I think that Wiliams took the penalty himself and scored it to signal the start of the Reading fightback. The game finished 3-3 and also included the James Lambert wondergoal - he could also be the subject of a "where are they now" question.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re:

by Ark Royal » 27 Oct 2008 19:48

Cripple Creek Whatever happened to Darius Dwobzwek (spelling?) the finest centre back to have ever worn the hoops in my opinion. Last I heard he was managing a team in Warsaw but had a fall out with the chairman but that was years ago. Jeez, what a player he was. Until then all we had had was the likes of Martin Hicks and Steve Hetzke - full marks for effort but errrrrr not for much else - and then along came a man who looked like he had modelled his game off Beckenbauer. Truly, a joy to watch.

Dariusz was one of the most naturally talented players ever to wear the hoops. Classy defender with a dream of a left peg. My uncle's (fan since '46) all time fave Reading player. I remember a pre-season friendly in '94 and Dariusz knocked a 60-yard diagonal pass right on the money and we all just looked at each other and wondered how the f*ck did we get this guy!

Another memory: Our Polish International getting booked at Pompey in '95 and someone yelled out to the ref "Spell that, you pcunt!"

total_biscuit

by total_biscuit » 27 Oct 2008 20:19

eddiegrundy Most memorable Martin Williams moment, although not necessarily his finest hour and a half:-

1997/98 season, home against Forest, who were running away with the league at the time: We were 2-0 down and being outclassed in front of the Sky cameras, with weemingly no hope of turning the game round. Williams chased through after a long ball which Dave Beasant in the Forest goal looked favourite to get. Williams somehow managed to stand on Dave Beasants foot and fall over. The ref saw it as a straight red for Beasant. The look on Beasant's face was was absolutely brilliant, and it was well worth the admission money just to see that. I think that Wiliams took the penalty himself and scored it to signal the start of the Reading fightback. The game finished 3-3 and also included the James Lambert wondergoal - he could also be the subject of a "where are they now" question.

IIRC, also the same match where we witnessed Steve Stone's wondermiss. Oh how I laugh every time that gets played in the compilations of embarrassing footballing moments :)

TB

Royal Rebel

by Royal Rebel » 27 Oct 2008 20:23

I used to like Gerry Williams....

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Oct 2008 22:20

total_biscuit
eddiegrundy Most memorable Martin Williams moment, although not necessarily his finest hour and a half:-

IIRC, also the same match where we witnessed Steve Stone's wondermiss. Oh how I laugh every time that gets played in the compilations of embarrassing footballing moments :)

TB

didn't someone do almost exactly the same thing a week or two later, and have the southbank sing "there's only two Steve Stones" at him?

bluehoops

by bluehoops » 28 Oct 2008 12:53

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
total_biscuit

TB

didn't someone do almost exactly the same thing a week or two later, and have the southbank sing "there's only two Steve Stones" at him?

It was the Man U cup game wasn't it? Always though the chant was "Are you Steve Stone in disguise?", although both were probably sung!

Oh, and that Lambert 'wondergoal' - the reaction from the Southbank "He's sh#t, but he's scored a goal" must have come across loud and clear on the Sky feed. Happy days.

StevenKelliher

by StevenKelliher » 28 Oct 2008 13:17

Excellent game that. I was stood on the Tilehurst end. Cracking night. As James Lambert, the last i heard he was a debt collector in Wokingham.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 28 Oct 2008 15:55

Scot Taylor is working for Beumont Roofing ! :shock:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Oct 2008 18:30

Back in the day (for me) one of my first games, i remember us beating yeovil 4-2, Williams scoring a good goal(last goal of game i think). And also my first ever Reading game was at home to Colchester and we won 1-0, Williams scoring the goal

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jan 2009 19:42

Back to fitness Martin Williams has scored a few for Windsor & Eton in the last few weeks.

Ex-Royal Andre Boucaud was playing for Kettering today against Fulham.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Jan 2009 19:49

Royal Rebel I used to like Gerry Williams....

Jerry ..... please.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jan 2009 20:47

Royal Rother Any other "where are they nows" that might surprise some of us?
Bobby Mikhalov (or Mich Hayloft as he was once called in an article), He's the head of the Bulgarian FA.

Nicky Hammond is director of football at Reading FC..... that still surprises me!

122 posts