Back from the game......and really angry!

224 posts
Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 01 Jan 2008 19:02

John Peel

if Derby surprise Bolton (unlikely I know but stranger things have happened).

no they haven`t :shock:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Jan 2008 19:03

As well as it not being a foul for the freekick that led to the first goal I think Campbell was also offside. I suppose I will have to wait to see that on MOTD2 later.

However what was Hahneman doing?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2008 19:04

Royal Monk
Please explain how it was a cynical/professional foul

Dear god whats wrong with you.... Sonko was behind the player and had no chance of getting the ball , he just smothered the player to stop his run on goal

I'll reserve a full response until I've seen the replay (including the possible offside). However, it's not the way I saw it from where we were sat. I felt he made an honest attempt to get to the ball and it was not the cynical 'professional foul' that the ruling was introduced to deal with.

If all referees dealt with it in the moronic letter of the law 'rules are rules' way that Dean did, most games would be turned into a complete farce. Just think back to all of the similar instances we have seen, particulary those where the keeper brings down an attacking player, that haven't be dealt with by red cards. Have I missed something, does the ruling not apply to keepers or have Dean's colleagues realised what would happen to the game if they kept sending the keepers off?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jan 2008 19:05

Wycombe Royal As well as it not being a foul for the freekick that led to the first goal I think Campbell was also offside. I suppose I will have to wait to see that on MOTD2 later.

What was he doing? He attempted to catch the ball, he just made an absolute mess of it. Basic human error.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 01 Jan 2008 19:05

Man of the match, for Portsmouth, Mike Dean!

Mike Dean = about as much use as a safety pin in a condom factory.

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 01 Jan 2008 19:06

rg6royal I wasn't angry tbh just really bored !

Ref and linesman both dreadful today but we did nothing anyway

Support of the highest quality, that is.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Jan 2008 19:09

peckhamwolf

And of what interest is it to you? The Reading support was excellent today, got behind our mistake-ridden team throughout. I don't even know the Wolves score today and nor do I care, I don't look down that low these days.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jan 2008 19:11

floyd__streete
peckhamwolf

And of what interest is it to you? The Reading support was excellent today, got behind our mistake-ridden team throughout. I don't even know the Wolves score today and nor do I care, I don't look down that low these days.

They drew 0-0 with someone at home. You've LOLet us down again.

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 01 Jan 2008 19:14

You guys...........

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2008 19:14

Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal As well as it not being a foul for the freekick that led to the first goal I think Campbell was also offside. I suppose I will have to wait to see that on MOTD2 later.

What was he doing? He attempted to catch the ball, he just made an absolute mess of it. Basic human error.

And plenty of people have lost their jobs for basic human error that have led to unacceptable results!

For a professional footballer at the highest level in English football, that human error was a bit too basic!

Don't know whether you noticed but he was getting a lot of (justified IMO) stick from his team mates and Sir Steve for his slow/bad distribution as well.

At one point Sir Steve gesticulated at him and then turned away in disgust.

I reckon he's lucky he got to the 20 game kiick in point for that contract extension, although it wouldn't surprise me if the Salako/York City experts are currently looking at the small print!

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 Jan 2008 19:15

Diddyroyal I bet Convey was fuming at having to come off, felt sorry for him

Sorry for him !! After he missed the sitter to send us one up , he's been rubbish this and last season , grossly over rated , sorry Bobby bye bye simply not up to this level

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jan 2008 19:16

RoyalBlue
Alan Partridge

And plenty of people have lost their jobs for basic human error that have led to unacceptable results!

For a professional footballer at the highest level in English football, that human error was a bit too basic!

Don't know whether you noticed but he was getting a lot of (justified IMO) stick from his team mates and Sir Steve for his slow/bad distribution as well.

I reckon he's lucky he got to the 20 game kiick in point for that contract extension, although it wouldn't surprise me if the Salako/York City experts are currently looking at the small print!

It was a terrible mistake, Hahnemann is our best keeper there is absolutely no doubt nor is there any serious competition for his shirt. That's the difference between him and the CB position. Why I can't even be arsed to have a go at Hahnemann.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game......and really angry!

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Jan 2008 19:21

RoyalBlue Please explain how it was a cynical/professional foul (see above for a reminder of why the ruling/guideline was introduced).Please also explain why we see so many other similar fouls dealt with by a yellow card or none at all. Please also explain the numerous occurrences when keepers haven't been sent off for bringing down a forward. Could it be that other refs are still using their brains/common sense and remembering the spirit behind the ruling?

That may have been the intention behind the introduction of the rule but unfortunately there is nothing in the rule that allows for any distinction between a cynical attempt to deny a scoring opportunity and a clumsy but well meant foul that also prevents a scoring opportunity.

From where I was, in the heat of the moment, I didn't think it warranted a foul. I'll wait and see what I think after seeing it close up but once Dean had given the foul Sonko had to go. Whether or not it was a foul Sonko yet again allowed the forward to get into a position whereby the challenge came about. He did it all last season too but got away with it more often.

After that Dean put in a woeful performance.

As for some of the other comments I don't think the our defenders have all lost the plot. Collectively we've defended badly the last couple of games and we should certainly be looking to strengthen in that area BUT those same players have shown quite recently that they can defend better than they are.

As much as I love Murts I'd love to see Rosenior given a chance to establish himself at right back. With Sonko off for the ACN and Doobs likely to come in for him it might allow Coppell to give him a go as Doobs can add the organising voice that is laking when Murts doesn't play.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Jan 2008 19:22

Alan Partridge It was a terrible mistake, Hahnemann is our best keeper there is absolutely no doubt nor is there any serious competition for his shirt. That's the difference between him and the CB position. Why I can't even be arsed to have a go at Hahnemann.

And thats a position that should've been addressed over the summer because Federici and Stack just aren't up to it and Marcus is clearly on the decline.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Jan 2008 19:24

RoyalBlue
Royal Monk
Please explain how it was a cynical/professional foul

Dear god whats wrong with you.... Sonko was behind the player and had no chance of getting the ball , he just smothered the player to stop his run on goal

I'll reserve a full response until I've seen the replay (including the possible offside). However, it's not the way I saw it from where we were sat. I felt he made an honest attempt to get to the ball and it was not the cynical 'professional foul' that the ruling was introduced to deal with.

If all referees dealt with it in the moronic letter of the law 'rules are rules' way that Dean did, most games would be turned into a complete farce. Just think back to all of the similar instances we have seen, particulary those where the keeper brings down an attacking player, that haven't be dealt with by red cards. Have I missed something, does the ruling not apply to keepers or have Dean's colleagues realised what would happen to the game if they kept sending the keepers off?

Please drop the faux umbrage, it's increasingly tiresome.

Simply apply the common sense approach of considering what decision you would want the ref to make if the roles had been reversed and it had been Doyle brought down by Campell in an identical sutuation.

You'd have been frothing at the mouth with self-righteous indignation if Campbell hadn't been sent off. And you know it.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 Jan 2008 19:25

Seriously I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. What is Cisse doing play centre mid for a Premiership football club? I've not seen passing like his since the dark old days. Every time he has the ball it goes either to no one or straight to the opposition. Every bloody time. We better have something lined up, cause it's that bad that I'm really looking forward to Bryn being back. :?

Agree with everything about the sending off, whatever the rules say, it was a very harsh decision. So stupid of Sonks though. I didn't think we needed a new centre half in Jan, I'm beginning to think we need 2 now....

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Jan 2008 19:26

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Seriously I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. What is Cisse doing play centre mid for a Premiership football club? I've not seen passing like his since the dark old days. Every time he has the ball it goes either to no one or straight to the opposition. Every bloody time. We better have something lined up, cause it's that bad that I'm really looking forward to Bryn being back. :?

Totally agree.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jan 2008 19:27

Rich@Eaststand
gn1982 Marcus made ONE mistake today

:D

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 01 Jan 2008 19:27

Talk me through your alternatives..........

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 Jan 2008 19:28

Alan Partridge
RoyalBlue
Alan Partridge

It was a terrible mistake, Hahnemann is our best keeper there is absolutely no doubt nor is there any serious competition for his shirt. That's the difference between him and the CB position. Why I can't even be arsed to have a go at Hahnemann.

Until we sign another GK there's no point even debating Marcus. What we gonna do, get Stack back from Wolves reserves? Play Fed?

Is there any other team in the Prem with no competition at all for it's GK place?

224 posts