Re: Reality check

by Stranded » 01 Feb 2008 20:20

Yep 16th, will do me in 14 games time.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Feb 2008 20:22

Stranded Are you suggesting that it Coppell should go now, you certainly seem to imply as much? May I ask who is available out there who would do a better job at this time?

And let's be clear about this, it's got to be someone who has kept a team in the top flight for more than 4 years. Only such a record will fit Royalee's requirements.

I know, let's get Fat Sam and his backroom entourage of 20 in to rescue us from oblivion! That's bound to work.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 01 Feb 2008 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2008 20:22

14th I reckon.

fridaysback

by fridaysback » 01 Feb 2008 20:26

Royalee You morons will get a reality check in three months' time when we go down as a result of Coppell's lack of bottle.
Yeah I agree Royalficklee Coppell is Rubbish always has been he just got lucky the last couple of seasons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Feb 2008 20:33

If you ask me we're now seeing the usual negative whining oxf*rd reappear and also all the people who had stupidly expectations of this season are joining them

Those of us who had half a brain and a spot of realism and were expecting a lower mid-table finish or thereabouts and would have been happy with that are still positive, because even if we have been a lot worse than expected we're still not too far from that.

The idiots are the ones who were expecting us to push for Europe this year and be in the top 10, not the realists who realised 12-16 was a much more sensible and yet still positive outlook .I reckoned 14th, we've been a bit shocking this season at times so I'd now be delighted with 14th.

Obviously I'm not a real fan because I've never had a season ticket, can't make many games and didn't support us pre '95. Odd that whilst I'm such a lowly plastic I'm still backing the team and will be carrying on with my crap support even if we finish bottom and get relegated next season as well.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Feb 2008 20:43

On the point of Marek, Oster's been out for months! Was he more fit than Matejovsky on Wednesday night?

On the subject of Coppell, I raise you Crystal Palace's second season and his time at Man City. Other than that he has never managed in the top flight apart from his time with us.

For all the rest of you without even a proper debate, why don't you go and support Wycombe if you are happy to see us go backwards - you can go there and watch crap football and live out more glory days of lower league football. I am a supporter of Reading Football Club and wish to see how far this club can go when it is taken FORWARD. If you deem having expectations of progression as being OTT then why do you even bother to go? I fail to see what is entertaining about failure and mediocrity.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2008 20:47

Staying up remains a strong possibility, said all year that we won't go down.

We'll beat Bolton tomorrow, might not be pretty, but we'll beat them.

I reckon it'll be a good atmosphere tomorrow.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Feb 2008 20:49

fridaysback
Royalee You morons will get a reality check in three months' time when we go down as a result of Coppell's lack of bottle.
Yeah I agree Royalficklee Coppell is Rubbish always has been he just got lucky the last couple of seasons.

He's a decent football league manager, but there is a HUGE difference nowadays between the style of management and skills required in the top flight compared to the rest of the footballing ladder. Ask yourselves why Warnock, Robson, Pardew, Taylor, Adams and others who have all had good records in the Football League have come a cropper in the Premiership. Then you look at people like Moyes, Allardyce until recently, Redknapp and the like, who can all bring in players from all over the world with sizeable egos and stick them straight in without fearing making tactical changes. There lies the difference between Coppell and this club progressing.

The reason I have backed Coppell in the past is because of his achievements at a lower level, but as you can clearly see from when he failed to strengthen Palace and then simply couldn't cope with the pressure of managing Man City with big name players there is a pattern beginning to form.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2008 20:50

I've changed my mind, we'll finish 13th.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Feb 2008 20:54

readingbedding I've changed my mind, we'll finish 13th.

You will have us qualifying for the Champions League at this rate!!!!!!!!!!!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2008 20:57

PEARCEY
readingbedding I've changed my mind, we'll finish 13th.

You will have us qualifying for the Champions League at this rate!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, we're not good enough for the Champions League.

Good enough to stay up though.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 01 Feb 2008 21:03

Dear numpties( Sorry Royal Lee, West Stand, Flash Floyd Street et al. )

Definition of a supporter according to the Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English
Third Edition :-
a person who supports a sports team, policy, etc.

A message to you lot. Clear off its that bad. Go and support some other rubbish outfits like the Swine or Oxford They could really do with half wits like you lot!

Your obviously five minute fans because if you have followed Reading around Div 3 (and the old Div 4) like myself you may have grounds for an argument.

Failing that, get behind the side and stop your incessant whinging. Your worse than my Mrs

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Feb 2008 21:04

Ian Royal Obviously I'm not a real fan because I've never had a season ticket, can't make many games and didn't support us pre '95. Odd that whilst I'm such a lowly plastic I'm still backing the team and will be carrying on with my crap support even if we finish bottom and get relegated next season as well.

Oh get down off your moral high horse would you? No one cares one iota how long and how often you support RFC, pal.

I think that - on balance - we will be relegated. This is obviously just guesswork, none of us can see into the future as far as I am aware. What have I based this treasonable hunch upon? Perhaps having the second worst defence in the league for starters. Makes me laugh when folk come back with the we have goals in us line, as if we get bonus points for losing 6 and 7-4. At the risk of blowing up the server as you angrily and noisily bash at your keyboards in response, I have to say that the January transfer dealings have been unsurprisingly disappointing as far as I am concerned and further reinforces my belief that the club talks the talk but all too often fails to walk the walk. Top ten club? More like top ten in The Championship the way we are going. The we don't want to break the morale of the squad line really doesn't wash with me given that in my opinion only Kitson and Hunt can really hand on heart say that they deserve to expect to start Premier League games based on their performances this season.

Opinions to the contrary have been backed up with the frankly banal adage of there being three worse teams. What a lazy line to use, as if 7 of the bottom 8 aren't seperated by a cigarette paper. Our record against those in the bottom 8 is won 3 drawn 2 lost 3; 4 at home, 4 away. We scored 9 and conceded 12. Worse teams my foot - we are on a par with these sides. The survival question will probably be decided by investment; Coppell himself bleats on repeatedly when we play the big four about investment making all the difference so maybe, just maybe, Matt Taylor might make a difference, Gary Cahill might make a difference, Marlon King might make a difference, James McFadden might make a difference, Andy Reid might make a difference, Robbie Savage might make a difference, Jari Litmanen might make a difference.....Of course, Matejovsky might make a difference too, but personally my money right now is on those signings who have plenty of Premier League experience.

Again, it's all just guesswork and theory isn't it? But I don't think I'd be quite so strident in my negativity on these pages were it not for the self-elected-intellectual-elite piffle of Ian Royal amongst others.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2008 21:20

Only three teams can go down.

Derby, Fulham and Wigan.

Maybe... won't be us though.

Bluey

by Bluey » 01 Feb 2008 21:20

Exciting weeks ahead, with Derby strong fave for the drop, Bolton to play all 'Top 4' and two UEFA ties, They'll have a mongrel of a few weeks ahead, all the more reason for us to send em home with nothin', Wigan to play the top 3 with Man U last game, Fulham do nothing for me whatsoever, they should change the format this year and drop the four of em'.

There's one thing I've noticed in all the years of supporting the Reading football team, they prefer a fight, easy games tend to slip by, but hard games bring out the best in us, and I'me betting on the Royals to continue that trend, exciting weeks ahead indeed, as Hunty said, the season starts here!.

' GO HARD YOU ROYALS '

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Feb 2008 21:46

Ideal
Ian Royal If you ask me we're now seeing the usual negative whining oxf*rd reappear and also all the people who had stupidly expectations of this season are joining them

Those of us who had half a brain and a spot of realism and were expecting a lower mid-table finish or thereabouts and would have been happy with that are still positive, because even if we have been a lot worse than expected we're still not too far from that.

The idiots are the ones who were expecting us to push for Europe this year and be in the top 10, not the realists who realised 12-16 was a much more sensible and yet still positive outlook .I reckoned 14th, we've been a bit shocking this season at times so I'd now be delighted with 14th.

Obviously I'm not a real fan because I've never had a season ticket, can't make many games and didn't support us pre '95. Odd that whilst I'm such a lowly plastic I'm still backing the team and will be carrying on with my crap support even if we finish bottom and get relegated next season as well.

What a fcuking joke.
I've never been known to be among the "STG brigade", I never had unrealistic expectations, I never expected us to finish in the top three. I always supported the brick by brick approach.
There was never an expectation that we would spend £30 million on new players in this transfer window. But £5 million on two or three guys, that would have been reasonable..
WE SEEMED TO HAVE STOPPED BUILDING, HAVE WE RAN OUT OF BRICKS??

Thank you for showing what a grade a moron you are.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Feb 2008 22:03

Royalee
fridaysback

He's a decent football league manager, but there is a HUGE difference nowadays between the style of management and skills required in the top flight compared to the rest of the footballing ladder. Ask yourselves why Warnock, Robson, Pardew, Taylor, Adams and others who have all had good records in the Football League have come a cropper in the Premiership. Then you look at people like Moyes, Allardyce until recently, Redknapp and the like, who can all bring in players from all over the world with sizeable egos and stick them straight in without fearing making tactical changes. There lies the difference between Coppell and this club progressing.

The reason I have backed Coppell in the past is because of his achievements at a lower level, but as you can clearly see from when he failed to strengthen Palace and then simply couldn't cope with the pressure of managing Man City with big name players there is a pattern beginning to form.

You may well have a point Royalee but the transfer window has closed and we are left with what we have got both on and off the pitch so everyone just has to get on with it.
I know that Coppell finds it difficult to relate to modern day footballers who now hold all the aces but his achievements last season built up a massive credit balance with most of our fans and although the balance has fallen quickly this season he is still at the moment in credit.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 01 Feb 2008 22:18

Royalee
fridaysback

He's a decent football league manager, but there is a HUGE difference nowadays between the style of management and skills required in the top flight compared to the rest of the footballing ladder. Ask yourselves why Warnock, Robson, Pardew, Taylor, Adams and others who have all had good records in the Football League have come a cropper in the Premiership. Then you look at people like Moyes, Allardyce until recently, Redknapp and the like, who can all bring in players from all over the world with sizeable egos and stick them straight in without fearing making tactical changes. There lies the difference between Coppell and this club progressing..
OK, name the managers that we should go for if we sacked Coppell. Given that nobody currently in a job at another premiership club is likely to come here, who is there out there that you'd rather see as manager of Reading other than Coppell?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Feb 2008 22:25

I don't think the time is right for naming replacements yet, although I will do at the end of the season if and when we go down, which is looking more and more likely by the game. I hope we stuff Bolton tomorrow, but I'm worried and not really looking forward to it.

Feel free to bring this post up at the end of the season and ask me then though.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Feb 2008 22:32

You know what?

Some of you lot really make me laugh.

1)Coppell isn't the right man to take us forward.

2)He's second rate.

If he's so poor how did he manage 2 consecutive years as Manager of the Year?

Reading FC will never have a better manager as the one we have now.

Idiots :roll:

150 posts