Best scenario

1871royals

Re: Best scenario

by 1871royals » 30 Apr 2008 15:53

Last season we had batches of wins this season we have to be thankful to score. :wink:

chandog

by chandog » 30 Apr 2008 16:04

37 is the magic number i reckon.
A point off spurs is possible. They ve got nothing to play for and if the fans get behind the team we should expect at least a draw
Derby - the worst team ever to grace the premiership - away should be an easy victory. If we lose to them then there can be no complaints that we get relegated with them.
Also we have the easiest run in out of the teams around us. Should fill me with confidence but im sure there will be some upsets.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Apr 2008 16:22

chandog 37 is the magic number i reckon.
A point off spurs is possible. They ve got nothing to play for and if the fans get behind the team we should expect at least a draw

ALOL

I think there's more chance of Osama Bin Laden winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

chandog

by chandog » 30 Apr 2008 17:16

2 world wars, 1 world cup

ALOL

Fair comment

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 30 Apr 2008 17:23

I have plan, Totters season is all but over safe and nothing else worth going for, lets be nice to them and offer them beers and pies free ofc and perhaps they will throw the game for us what do ya reakon :P

chandog

by chandog » 30 Apr 2008 18:06

westongeezer I have plan, Totters season is all but over safe and nothing else worth going for, lets be nice to them and offer them beers and pies free ofc and perhaps they will throw the game for us what do ya reakon :P

No i dont think it works like that

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 30 Apr 2008 20:46

2 world wars, 1 world cup

ALOL

Of course the fans will be behind the team. They will be loud and chant and sing and support the team. This will go on all game until 1) Reading scores first (then it will get even louder and louder) or 2) Tottenham scores first (at which point most will be stunned into silence).

If the team gets a victory, credit will be given to the fans support and how that spurred the team on to victory. If the team loses a small portion of the blame might be put on the lack of support. But in the end what happens on the pitch really drives what goes on in the stands. In the end the fans and supporters are just looking for an excuse to go mental. Please give it to them on Saturday, RFC.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 May 2008 07:33

Arch
NTRoyal How can people keep saying it won't be in our hands?

We are the team with (arguably) the easiest fixtures, we win both we stay up. Regardless what happens elsewhere it should be ours to lose. Spurs season is over, and while they still play well at home, they aint terrific away. Any team that loses to Derby at this point, deserves to go down.

4 points should be enough, and I am confident we will get them.
If we lose it won't be in our hands. If we draw, it still won't be in our hands if both Bolton and Birmingham win.

If we lose on Saturday it goes out of our hands entirely as the points have to go somewhere between Fulham and Birmingham so we will be in the bottom 3 (unless Bolton lose by a large shedload).

The worse thing for us if we do lose is a Birmingham win so let's hope Fulham can keep winning!

So simply put, a win for us and Fulham on Saturday should put the ball very firmly back in our hands, doubly so if Bolton come a cropper at home to Sunderland.

What I wouldn't give to be able to set the Premiership results this Saturday!!

NTRoyal

by NTRoyal » 01 May 2008 14:59

Barry the bird boggler If we lose on Saturday it goes out of our hands entirely as the points have to go somewhere between Fulham and Birmingham so we will be in the bottom 3 (unless Bolton lose by a large shedload).

The worse thing for us if we do lose is a Birmingham win so let's hope Fulham can keep winning!

So simply put, a win for us and Fulham on Saturday should put the ball very firmly back in our hands, doubly so if Bolton come a cropper at home to Sunderland.

What I wouldn't give to be able to set the Premiership results this Saturday!!

Why such a focus on other teams? My point was we have probably the two most winnable fixtures, while Spurs are still a good side, their season is finished, and they are rubbish away. Derby are the worst team to ever played in this league, and EVERYONE is hammering them at the moment. We should get atleast 3 points. Even if results don't go our way on Saturday and we only get a point, the game we have to ensure our survival is against a team that would struggle against most Sunday league sides. If we can't beat them, when it really matters, we can have no complaints about going down.

silchester rovers

by silchester rovers » 01 May 2008 15:11

Whatever happens will be for the best, I'm trying to convince myself....

Nonetheless I will be a miserable sod for 1-2 days if we get relegated but then decide hey-ho, it's summer let's forget about football....

If we get 4 pts we should stay up - brill.

If we get 3 or less then I think we'll go down - but I expect most of the squad to stay together and I'm hopeful we can come backup in 1-2 yrs (and enjoy more wins on a Saturday afternoon). I do think the club is being run on a sound sustainable basis that will achieve this.

I work with a few Saints fans, so I try to look on the +ve side when I hear them bemoaning their plight....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 May 2008 15:40

silchester rovers Whatever happens I will be shit faced in the pub

'greed

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 02 May 2008 09:31

The top two of the Championship to be refused promotion as their grounds do not meet Premiership standard.

Only one relegated from the Prem

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 02 May 2008 12:43

Is the best we can hope for is a draw between Fulham and Brum? If we can beat Spurs that means that Fulham can't catch us. I would say that Fulham have a better chance of getting 3pts at Pompey on the last day of the season than Birmingham at home to Blackburn. Pompey's form has been poor since getting to the cup final and I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a reserve side. I fancy Blackburn to get something at Brum.

Either way, as long as Brum don't win we will need 4pts from 2 games to be safe.

yuomi

by yuomi » 02 May 2008 12:52

best scenario - we stay up

anything else- we dont

i cant see us getting more than a point against spurs and, until the fulham game, i would have been reasonably confident of us going to derby and salvaging something (in the manner of the boro' away win) but now anything is possible.

eitherway, its allot more exciting run in than oxf*rd oxford have got.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2008 12:57

rotherwick_royal Is the best we can hope for is a draw between Fulham and Brum? If we can beat Spurs that means that Fulham can't catch us. I would say that Fulham have a better chance of getting 3pts at Pompey on the last day of the season than Birmingham at home to Blackburn. Pompey's form has been poor since getting to the cup final and I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a reserve side. I fancy Blackburn to get something at Brum.

Either way, as long as Brum don't win we will need 4pts from 2 games to be safe.

The best scenario out of that game is anything but a Brum win.

Frankly though whatever that result it becomes irrelevant if we pick up 6 points from the last 2 games.

RAFENGO

by RAFENGO » 02 May 2008 13:45

I was up at the Wigan game last Sat and to be honest I just can't see us winning any games, not even the Derby game. Hence I am really worried about our survival this season.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 02 May 2008 13:50

who knows really, however Fulham have to win there last 2 games its as simple as that. They havent managed back to back wins all season so getting three victories in a row would be very suprising. If we get relegated it'll be by goal difference im convinced-looking back at the 7-4's 4-2's 3-0's early on in the season angers me from the point of few of several posters who applauded that we lost in such a fashion.The fact is that whatever happens it goes down to the Derby game, something i was particularily keen to avoid months back because as we know in those 'one off' games Reading have been involved in down the years we have, bar the Brentford game when we secured the draw failed to rise to the occaision in the end- and a draw this time may not even be enough....

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Potential scenarios

by rhroyal » 03 May 2008 12:51

I'll start with the best possible scenario at the end of today:

We beat Spurs
Fulham beat Birmingham
Bolton lose to Sunderland. That leaves the table something liken this:

16 Reading 36 -27
17 Bolton 33 -21
------------------------------
18 Fulham 33 -24
19 Brum 32 -18

I'm assuming with the GD they're all 1 goal results, but in earnest it won't affect things much if teams win by 2 or 3.

Anyhow, after that, it would take us to lose at Derby, Fulham to win at Pompey and finally Bolton to win at Stamford Bridge foe us to go down, meaning our safety would be all but guaranteed. Please God......

Worst case scenario:

Spurs beat us
Brum beat Fulham
Bolton beat Sunderland.

Then the table looks like this:

16 Bolton 36 - 19
17 Brum 35 - 16
-----------------------------------
18 Reading 33 -29
19 Fulham 30 -25

That really is not happy reading. We'd have to win at Derby and because of GD hope that Blackburn beat Birmingham at St. Andrews, where they are pretty strong and solid. I'd have practically no hope of staying up if this happens. It's amazing how much better or worse that table could look like at the end of the day. Once again, please God.......

Now I'm gonna give my predictions.

We draw with Spurs
Fulham and Brum draw
Bolton beat Sunderland

That leaves the table looking something that this:

16 Bolton 36 -19
17 Reading 34 -28
--------------------------------------
18 Brum 33 -17
19 Fulham 31 -25

That would mean we had it in our own hands going into the Derby match where despite all the pressure and Derby's wish to end the Premiership season on a high, I will still fancy us to win. I'll take those results today with open arms if you offer them to me now thank you very much. Here's to hoping.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Potential scenarios

by Readingfanman » 03 May 2008 12:53

These scenarios are just hurting my head now. The quicker today is over and we know what might happen the better.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 May 2008 13:15

Platypuss
Thaumagurist* Just checked soccerbase, Wet Sham were at home to Man Utd for the penultimate game in 1995 and Man U needed to win to have a good chance of winning, but Wet Sham, having nothing to play for, held them to a 1-1 draw. The following final game saw them lose to Everton whilst Blackburn, despite losing at Liverpool, ended up winning the championship.

And I'm not sure if Wet Sham repeated the feat some seasons later.

One last thing, Wet Sham beat Man Utd last season to stay up.

So. How many of those were Man U at OT with them having something to play for?

3-0 after 25 minutes. :|