Reading's wage bill in perspective

128 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading's wage bill in perspective

by Sarah Star » 31 May 2008 19:59

I don't think any ground has been renamed after being sold, has it?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 May 2008 22:54

Let's hope it's not the Virgin Stadium. We'll be the laughing stock of the league.

working class hero

by working class hero » 31 May 2008 23:19

Arch Let's hope it's not the Virgin Stadium. We'll be the laughing stock of the league.

We can't call it that after being screwed by Fulham, Bolton and several others....

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Jun 2008 00:28

Royal Rother Madejski is quite obviously a complete oxf*rd for rescuing the club, supporting it financially for more than a decade, establishing a solid infrastructure from which it can continue to build, and for seeing the result of his investments and vision take us to the Premier League because actually he was only ever in it for his own personal gain and everything he has ever said was actually complete bollocks.

The man is a complete and utter oxf*rd and I wish he'd never got involved as I was more than happy at Elm Park hovering around the Brentfords, Bournemouths and Rochdales of this world.

Oh dear. What was a train wreck of a post that was. Come on, you can do a lot better than that. A lot better. I'll chalk that one up to you just having a 'moment', or maybe you were just trashed. :|

PEARCEY Leaving aside the arguments about our chairmain...but what happens when he sells up? Does the ground still stay named The Madejski or would it be re-named?

Given that your question is what 'will' happen vs. what we would 'like' to happen. (take note Ian Royal), the stadium will most likely be re-named as something else at some point in the future...and I would think that most people probably know/realize that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2008 01:19

I'm capable of grasping the concept of the difference between what happens and what I'd like to happen.

Otherwise I'd be expecting Salma Hayek & Angelina Jolie, amongst others, to be knocking at my door begging for me to teach them the joys of multiple orgasms.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2008 10:18

Denver Royal
Royal Rother Madejski is quite obviously a complete oxf*rd for rescuing the club, supporting it financially for more than a decade, establishing a solid infrastructure from which it can continue to build, and for seeing the result of his investments and vision take us to the Premier League because actually he was only ever in it for his own personal gain and everything he has ever said was actually complete bollocks.

The man is a complete and utter oxf*rd and I wish he'd never got involved as I was more than happy at Elm Park hovering around the Brentfords, Bournemouths and Rochdales of this world.

Oh dear. What was a train wreck of a post that was. Come on, you can do a lot better than that. A lot better. I'll chalk that one up to you just having a 'moment', or maybe you were just trashed. :|

Considering I was indeed trashed at the time I think it is remarkably articulate. The irony didn't escape you did it?

Sober or not I always find the utter stupidity of the Madejski bashers somewhat staggering.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jun 2008 09:59

Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy howe said wages did rise slightly for last season, so will probably be at or above 30million
which is about the level of the money we wont be getting this season
so its clear to see why they feel the need to sell a few players

What you're forgetting there is that our wage bill is reportedly being slashed by 40% because of the relegation.

So the Prem money being there or not in terms of this years wages shouldn't be an issue.

ive not seen that anywhere else other than the evening post-and it wasnt clear there whether it was in the contracts of everyone, or a ball park figure the club have set, or a ball park figure the newspaper has set-

if we get it down by 40% its still going to be a fair bit more than our wage bill the last time in the championship where we still made a significant loss, despite winning the damn thing and having the fullest stadium average we'd ever had

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Jun 2008 10:08

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jun 2008 11:18

Okay, I'll do it just for you then. See what I come up with early next Saturday morning. I'll bet you can't wait.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 02 Jun 2008 12:43

Thaumagurist*
Royal Rother

pompous.

For oxf*rd's sake Spacey, how dead does that horse have to be before you stop flogging it?

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 02 Jun 2008 12:51

brendywendy
Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy howe said wages did rise slightly for last season, so will probably be at or above 30million
which is about the level of the money we wont be getting this season
so its clear to see why they feel the need to sell a few players

What you're forgetting there is that our wage bill is reportedly being slashed by 40% because of the relegation.

So the Prem money being there or not in terms of this years wages shouldn't be an issue.

ive not seen that anywhere else other than the evening post-and it wasnt clear there whether it was in the contracts of everyone, or a ball park figure the club have set, or a ball park figure the newspaper has set-
if we get it down by 40% its still going to be a fair bit more than our wage bill the last time in the championship where we still made a significant loss, despite winning the damn thing and having the fullest stadium average we'd ever had

According to Chronicle article on Wally Downs approx 40% applies to all players and coaching staff.

Downes now plans to speak with Coppell next week when the Royals’ boss returns from holiday in the Far East.
If he stays, Downes, like the rest of the coaching staff and players, will take a pay cut of about 40% as Reading look to ease a £30 million shortfall following relegation.
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/2/2999

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jun 2008 13:08

brendywendy

But with the comfort of an £14m or £11m parachute payment and hopefully more season ticket holders and higher attendences than when we started the promotion campaign.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 02 Jun 2008 13:19

So for about an extra 3% effort ON the pitch we would have got the extra point that would have meant no 40% wage reductions.
A pity somebody didn't spell out hard facts such as those before the Fulham game. :cry:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Jun 2008 13:52

BR2 So for about an extra 3% effort ON the pitch we would have got the extra point that would have meant no 40% wage reductions.
A pity somebody didn't spell out hard facts such as those before the Fulham game. :cry:

Maybe they did and it made them more nervous.

It's a tough one. If only we had a sports scientist....

Oh hang on we do.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jun 2008 13:53

I suspect that the sale of Reading FC by Mr Mad will be just that; the sale of Reading FC.

The stadium and the hotel will not be part of that sale; Mr Mad will still retain control. There will no doubt be some sort of loan out deal where, for a certain sum of money each season for a certain length of time, Reading FC will continue to play at the Mad Stad (similar to the London irish deal), but the new owners of the football club will not own the stadium.

Maybe thats why there weren't any serious bidders for the club?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Jun 2008 13:55

BR2 So for about an extra 3% effort ON the pitch we would have got the extra point that would have meant no 40% wage reductions.
who knows? Maybe it's possible that the defeat to Fulham wasn't a result of the players not trying.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Jun 2008 13:56

But, Mr A, the Stadium is owned by RFC Holdings Ltd - i.e. the club, not Mr M, I always thought that..... :|

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Jun 2008 14:00

SpaceCruiser But, Mr A, the Stadium is owned by RFC Holdings Ltd - i.e. the club, not Mr M, I always thought that..... :|

But I think that company also owns Reading Football Club Limited ie "the football club".

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jun 2008 14:32

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Maybe they did and it made them more nervous.

It's a tough one. If only we had a sports scientist....

Oh hang on we do.

Perhaps what we needed was a sports psychologist instead then!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Jun 2008 14:37

Platypuss
SpaceCruiser But, Mr A, the Stadium is owned by RFC Holdings Ltd - i.e. the club, not Mr M, I always thought that..... :|

But I think that company also owns Reading Football Club Limited ie "the football club".

I had thought it was the other way round.

128 posts