Predictions

245 posts
Roger the Rabbit

Re: Predictions

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 16:33

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit
Royalee I'm not basing my opinion on one year. Coppell has got his transfers right in one transfer window throughout his entire reign, which was the summer of 2005. Pretty much EVERY other transfer window he has underperformed..

Do you genuinely not understand what Coppell was doing when he assembled the Championship winning team ?

You're going to tell me he planned all his shit signings before like Brooker, Owusu, Morgan, Ferdinand and Keown aren't you? :lol:

There was nothing wrong with the signig of Owusu, bought for a job, did a job, moved on.
Morgan was a talented player, dodgy attitude, cost nothing, worth the gamble.
Ferdinand and Keown were brought in for the right reasons but were never fit enough to do anything on the pitch. It happens.

Of course none of those names have any relevance to the team that won the title, but I'll excuse the distance by which you missed the point.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 16:34

:lol:

Go on then, enlighten me.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 16:37

Royalee :lol:

I'm sure a person of your insight can work it out, it's been discussed often enough in the papers as well as elsewhere.

it's something to do with unearthing a bunch of young players with talent, developing them as a team and taking them through more than one season together.

It sounds like you'd rather go the Roy Keane route and spend £30 million, then dump all the players and spend another £30 million.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 16 Jun 2008 16:38

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:45

Thaumagurist*
Vision Spacey will still be banging on about his 30 year progress chart at the end of the season.

I only mentioned it because Royalee was banging on about "progression" and I wanted to point out that we've been progressing over the past 30 years. I promise you I won't mention it again. Let this be the last time I say anything about it - unless you ask me about it. ;)

Royalee Coppell is still living off one good season within his 4 and a half year reign

WTF is this twaddle you're spouting on about?

May I remind you that in his second season with us, we were at the top and only missed out of the play-offs that season because our form fell apart after Christmas? And you seem to have largely ignored the first season in the Premiership where we finished 8th. How can you dismiss that season?

Going back to what I said about Coppell's second season, it seems to me that when we have a disappointing season, there always seems to be a post Christmas slump. We had it in 2001/2, 2003/4, 2004/5 and 2007/8. What is it about after Christmas that makes us not perform quite as well as we should be doing?

It's called COMPLACENCY

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 16:49

Roger the Rabbit
Royalee :lol:

I'm sure a person of your insight can work it out, it's been discussed often enough in the papers as well as elsewhere.

it's something to do with unearthing a bunch of young players with talent, developing them as a team and taking them through more than one season together.

It sounds like you'd rather go the Roy Keane route and spend £30 million, then dump all the players and spend another £30 million.

LOL.

Sorry, which youngsters? He didn't develop them as a team, he brought in half a team that summer! Coppell developed f*ck all, he had the spine of a strong side, took over 18 months to realise which players were good and which ones weren't (even if Norwich had to drag Hughes away from him thank God) and then buy some more good players to finalise the team. If Coppell was such a good coach then why did Sidwell and Shorey want to leave his amazing coaching talents and Matejovsky comment in the papers about him doing NOTHING on the training ground? :lol:

Is he going to do the same this time around then with Hahnemann, Murty, Imgimarsson, Duberry, Gunnarsson, Little, Hunt and all the other youthful skillful talent we have at the club to make us into exciting Championship winners?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Jun 2008 16:50

and being SHOCKING in the transfer market. Coppell had 1 fantastic summer in terms of recruitment, Reading went up. Apart from that, his bad signings FAR outweigh his good ones.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 16:52

Alan Partridge and being SHOCKING in the transfer market. Coppell had 1 fantastic summer in terms of recruitment, Reading went up. Apart from that, his bad signings FAR outweigh his good ones.

capital letters = FACT

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Jun 2008 16:54

brendywendy
Alan Partridge and being SHOCKING in the transfer market. Coppell had 1 fantastic summer in terms of recruitment, Reading went up. Apart from that, his bad signings FAR outweigh his good ones.

capital letters = FACT

He is right though.

What is most damning is the five, six players that have been record signings. Other than short term successes with Lita and Convey, they have all been a bit poor. This coming at a time when we needed players to come in and improve the first team squad.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 16:58

papereyes
brendywendy

capital letters = FACT

He is right though.

What is most damning is the five, six players that have been record signings. Other than short term successes with Lita and Convey, they have all been a bit poor. This coming at a time when we needed players to come in and improve the first team squad.

i dont know if lined up side by side there would be a huge ammount of difference in the two lists
but that is by the by.

seol was a short term success too

'greed about the the record signings

maybe what we need to do is make one horrendous cock up signing at ten million
then we wont have to worry about record signings for a good decade-leaving us to sign who we want without worrying about the "curse of the record signing"

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 16 Jun 2008 17:08

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 17:10

show me a manager who has never taken a gamble/bought someone rubbish/bought someone he hasnt seen play in person
and ill show you someone who isnt actually a manager at all.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 17:14

brendywendy show me a manager who has never taken a gamble/bought someone rubbish/bought someone he hasnt seen play in person

It happens, I'm not denying that. It's just that with Coppell it happens almost every time.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 17:15

Thaumagurist*

Oh meriden bless, we're not back full circle to that discussion. :roll:

It can't be easy in the transfer market as most players of a decent quality won't come to Reading and we are hamstrung by our wage structure, something we have to stick to. So there isn't always a wide range of choices for Coppell to pick from, so it's inevitable that he would take a gamble. Aren't all signings a gamble? Obviously we would need to do our homework on the players available but we'd also need to be lucky. Weren't we lucky in the Championship winning season that neither of our centre backs got any major injuries? If either of them had been injured, our season would have been screwed.

Have you seen our wage budget then you moron?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 17:15

Royalee
brendywendy show me a manager who has never taken a gamble/bought someone rubbish/bought someone he hasnt seen play in person

It happens, I'm not denying that. It's just that with Coppell it happens almost every time.

oh cmon!!!

stop it

actually your just on a wind up, im stopping replying to you now
for fear of the wolrds biggest whoosh

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2008 17:17

brendywendy
Royalee

oh cmon!!!

stop it

If you can't accept that Coppell's transfer policies summer 2005 aside have been an absolute joke then you really are in cloud cuckoo land.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 16 Jun 2008 17:19

Royalee
LOL.

Sorry, which youngsters? He didn't develop them as a team, he brought in half a team that summer! Coppell developed f*ck all, he had the spine of a strong side, took over 18 months to realise which players were good and which ones weren't (even if Norwich had to drag Hughes away from him thank God) and then buy some more good players to finalise the team. If Coppell was such a good coach then why did Sidwell and Shorey want to leave his amazing coaching talents and Matejovsky comment in the papers about him doing NOTHING on the training ground? :lol:

Is he going to do the same this time around then with Hahnemann, Murty, Imgimarsson, Duberry, Gunnarsson, Little, Hunt and all the other youthful skillful talent we have at the club to make us into exciting Championship winners?

Have to agree with Bendy, the Royalee WUM in full flow !

You clearly watch a different team to the rest of us and it's a pretty basic error to think Coppell is our coach !

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 16 Jun 2008 17:19

Show me a manager that after making mistake after mistake after mistake, took his club down and kept his job and I'll show you a club going nowhere.

Show me a manager who wanted to jack it in, but decided he'd stay on because of some RTG fan reaction and a nice relationship with the chairman and I'll show you a manager in the comfort zone with no hunger to suceed.

Royalee and I have the benefit of being able to think without sentiment getting in the way and can see the car crash of a season we have ahead, I share his frustration.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 17:21

Royalee
brendywendy
Royalee

oh cmon!!!

stop it

If you can't accept that Coppell's transfer policies summer 2005 aside have been an absolute joke then you really are in cloud cuckoo land.

insisting we havent signed anyone who improved the team apart from at that point is much much worse

oh fcuk i replied :evil: :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Jun 2008 17:21

Scarface

Show me a manager that after making mistake after mistake after mistake, took his club down and kept his job and I'll show you a club going nowhere.

Show me a manager who wanted to jack it in, but decided he'd stay on because of some RTG fan reaction and a nice relationship with the chairman and I'll show you a manager in the comfort zone with no hunger to suceed.

Royalee and I have the benefit of being able to think without sentiment getting in the way and can see the car crash of a season we have ahead, I share his frustration.

i know my opinions are good, but no need to quote them twice

and god i wish i was one of you two

245 posts