LoanWatch for season 2008/2009

650 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: LoanWatch for season 2008/2009

by Southbank Old Boy » 09 Jul 2008 10:26

Stranded Yet Henry didn't really make a massive impact there (ending up on the bench) and people are demanding he gets picked.

It's a clean slate for the young players, and if any of them are going to force their way into the team, this is their chance.

Two differences for me.

Firstly, the original point was that Golbourne should be used to replace Shorey and become our first choice left back. Those calling for Henry, or the majority at least, are saying that Henry should be given a chance not that he should now be our number one right midfielder now Little and Oster have left the club.

Secondly, Henry has looked very good at times for the reserves and made a massive impact at Bournemouth when he first went there. He scored a cracking goal on the telly, and scored 4 in 8 games from the wing (plus a few sub appearances). He might've ended up on the bench but I think that was when they got a few players off the injury table and it was in the run in to him coming back. They may just have known that they needed to get the replacements back into the team knowing Henry was off. The games he was on the bench for were the 3 games in 5 days which might explain why he was taken out of the firing line also.

I'm not saying Henry is anything more than a good prospect, but the two cases you're comparing are quite different.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jul 2008 16:27

Bill Oddie's Beard
I agree. I saw him in a couple of games for B'mouth and he looked pretty average, didn't see him against Bolton, but I suspect if he was unable to make an impact in League 1, then he will struggle in the c'ship. Although I do hope he proves me wrong.

Thats not true though, he did make an impact in League 1 wth Brstol City before we signed him, which lead to him being named Young Player of the Year in League 1, and to us signing him.

If he is given a decent run in the team I think he will suprise a few people.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 09 Jul 2008 16:42

winchester_royal
Bill Oddie's Beard
I agree. I saw him in a couple of games for B'mouth and he looked pretty average, didn't see him against Bolton, but I suspect if he was unable to make an impact in League 1, then he will struggle in the c'ship. Although I do hope he proves me wrong.

Thats not true though, he did make an impact in League 1 wth Brstol City before we signed him, which lead to him being named Young Player of the Year in League 1, and to us signing him.

He only played 14 games for Bristol City, and he got apprentice of the year which I'd imagine isn't quite the same as young player of the year.

From what I've seen of him he hasn't lived up to expectations but like I said I hope he proves me wrong.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jul 2008 17:09

winchester_royal
Bill Oddie's Beard

You're right, that would really surprise me.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jul 2008 17:11

Alan Partridge
winchester_royal
Bill Oddie's Beard

You're right, that would really surprise me.

Do you ever get tired of being tediously negative, you boring old sod.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jul 2008 17:14

:lol:

So you don't think that Golbourne being made our number 1 left back would be surprising?

Not negative at all.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Jul 2008 07:16

Just caught this from the Tribal Football website

Hamilton looking at loan deal for Reading's Hateley
By Ian Ferris - July 09, 2008

Hamilton Academicals are trying to sign the son of former Rangers legend Mark Hateley on a season-long loan deal.
Reading defender Tom Hateley is interesting Accies boss Billy Reid and it seems that the teenage defender will make the switch north of the border in time for the season's start on August 9.

Reid confirmed: "We are hopeful of getting him."

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Jul 2008 15:07

Hateley's got mumps so the deal has been put on hold for the time being.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Jul 2008 15:10

Royal Rother Hateley's got mumps so the deal has been put on hold for the time being.

Fae's Malaria >>> Hateley's Mumps >>> Kitson's Runny Nose.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 Jul 2008 15:15

Vision
Royal Rother Hateley's got mumps so the deal has been put on hold for the time being.

Fae's Malaria >>> Hateley's Mumps >>> Kitson's Runny Nose.

And somebody on another topic suggested that Stoke was a dodgy place to live-what do these instances say about Reading? :wink:

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 23 Jul 2008 17:43

Scott Davies stays at Aldershot for another season....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 521256.stm

Jez
Location: playing hide and seek with Lord Lucan and Rudolph Hess

Loan Players

by Jez » 29 Jul 2008 12:20

It worked very well for Hull last season... Frazer Campbell etc and i see Birmingham are at it again.... Zarate last season nearly doing a Tevez and now signing highly rated dutch player Kemy Agustien. other deals i think we should have been in for..

Jack Hobbs Liverpool
Ryan Bertrand Chelsea
Paul Anderson liverpool
Peter Ramage Newcastle (Free Transfer)

why do we not go in for young talented players the way other clubs do?

One example Chelsea Midfielder Micheal Woods season long loan

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Loan Players

by brendywendy » 29 Jul 2008 12:23

because the smaller team taking the loanee ends up paying the bigger/richer team for the priveledge of giving them the 1st team football they require for their development.
if the player then does really well they just go back to the original team, if they do rubbish we dont want them any more.
Last edited by brendywendy on 29 Jul 2008 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Jez

by Jez » 29 Jul 2008 12:26

Is it not about the short term sometimes though? Chelsea would not want Micheal Woods back early even if he dominated the Championship for a year with us! Did Man Utd call back Frazer Campbell when he was banging them in last year? I can see your argument but if we had forked out for Zarate last season we would now be a Premier league club.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Jul 2008 12:30

Of course, all we have to do is provide the cash, click our fingers and every player will sign for us.

Jez

by Jez » 29 Jul 2008 12:36

If we are not an attractive proposition to loanees then something is very wrong at the club!!!

sack the board :lol:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 29 Jul 2008 12:59

Coppell has a phobia of the loan system and doesn't believe in it, so we suffer as a result.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Jul 2008 13:01

Royalee Coppell has a phobia of the loan system and doesn't believe in it, so we suffer as a result.

in the prem.

hes already stated this season will give us opportunities to use loans more in the championship, that he would be willing to look at

but dont let that change your broken record arguments

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 29 Jul 2008 13:01

Royalee Coppell has a phobia of the loan system and doesn't believe in it, so we suffer as a result.

he has alot of phobia's doesn't he... phobia of succeding in the FA cup, fear of loans etc. etc.

Stuffed Crust Pizza

by Stuffed Crust Pizza » 12 Aug 2008 12:36

Hamer: gets a full 90 minutes in a 1-0 away loss to Bury. Hopefully he can cement a place as No.1 for the season, gaining confidence and learning his trade.

Davies: did not feature in Aldershot's impressive away win against Accrington.

Bennett: gets a full 90 also for Brentford.

Fae: plays 90 minutes for Nice away to Le Havre. Picking up a booking on his debut!

650 posts