Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

223 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

by papereyes » 02 Jul 2008 22:55

The alternative is to drift waiting for these players to leave, which is worse. IMO.

The club should have a far clearer idea of which players want to go and which want to stay so work pro-actively around that knowledge.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jul 2008 23:05

Okay so we might well lose Kitson, Doyle and Lita, but would new players actually come here anyway whilst those 3 remain unsold? Doubt it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Jul 2008 23:10

Royal Rother Okay so we might well lose Kitson, Doyle and Lita, but would new players actually come here anyway whilst those 3 remain unsold? Doubt it.

That would depend entirely on how they were sold the situation, wouldn't it?

Sorry, I just think the best chance we have of having a good season is to take the bull by the horns, as it were. If I've alluded to any other Championship clubs in that, its accidental.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 03 Jul 2008 00:04

papereyes The club should have a far clearer idea of which players want to go and which want to stay so work pro-actively around that knowledge.

I would imagine the club does have a fair idea of who wants to go and who is likely to go, and are pro-actively working around that knowledge.

They have just chosen not to make that knowledge public.

Clearly the right thing to do would be to make all such information public knowledge, as it would aid that transfer process no end, and heaven knows why the club hasn't gone down that route.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jul 2008 08:13

Royal Rother Okay so we might well lose Kitson, Doyle and Lita, but would new players actually come here anyway whilst those 3 remain unsold? Doubt it.

I suspect you have never worked within the recruitment industry!

It is possible to sell an opportunity to an individual, if you are determined to secure their services.

I suspect that any potential new player and his agent would hardly be surprised to hear that one or more of those you mention wants to move elsewhere and would fully expect them to achieve that goal, particularly if RFC made it clear that they weren't going to stand in the way of a transfer. What's more they also know that Lita has hardly been flavour of the month and therefore might well fancy their chances of being higher up the pecking order than him, even if he remains at the club.

At the end of the day it will come down to how determined the club are to come up with solutions rather than focusing on 'difficulties'.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 03 Jul 2008 10:31

I seem to remember a pretty uneventful start to recruiting a few seasons ago. It wasn't looking great and I was expecting us to finish top ten at best. We then signed a couple of Irish lads and Leroy Lita and things looked ok by the start of the season. Altho we lost that game at home to plymouth, you could see some early signs that we were going to do ok. Can't really remember what happened after that, but I think we did alright.

Let's not panic until August. Then if we still haven't brought anyone in, PANIC :o

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Jul 2008 10:35

papereyes

That would depend entirely on how they were sold the situation, wouldn't it?

Sorry, I just think the best chance we have of having a good season is to take the bull by the horns, as it were. If I've alluded to any other Championship clubs in that, its accidental.

half the players are only back for preseason today, the rest still to come
not sure how we will be able to do anything regarding them, or new players till coppell has seen them train and sat down and talked to them.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jul 2008 10:45

Players don't have to be back in training for the manager/club to speak to them or their agents.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Jul 2008 10:53

Southbank Old Boy Players don't have to be back in training for the manager/club to speak to them or their agents.

i know he and the club will have a rough idea, and laready be planning around that
but itll take face to face meeting to sort it finally in my opinion

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jul 2008 10:59

brendywendy
Southbank Old Boy Players don't have to be back in training for the manager/club to speak to them or their agents.

i know he and the club will have a rough idea, and laready be planning around that

Nothing to stop them coming in for a chat before pre-season either. In fact I'm sure a few of them usually do some training at the club even during the close season.

I'm sure there was a story about Shorey doing just that not long ago.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 03 Jul 2008 11:01

Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy

Nothing to stop them coming in for a chat before pre-season either. In fact I'm sure a few of them usually do some training at the club even during the close season.

I think it was Glen Little who said that he and Nicky Shorey had been the only people at the training ground over the last month.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jul 2008 11:15

Scarface
Royalee http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2031242_well_need_to_adapt_quickly_says_royals_boss

Silly me for thinking perhaps he may have tried to look at potential top Championship players when we were in the Prem who could make the step up. I also forgot that we'd been in the Premiership for decades and have no idea what this league holds.

Get ready for loads more mate. We (the fans) have only got ourselves to blame, thanks to those clowns who protested in his car park space, we are consigned to a season full of negativety and more backward progress. When he walks out at Christmas due to our pathetic league position, I doubt they'll be protesting then.

Yes I'm negative, but I see absolutely nothing positive coming from the manager or team so far this year.

It's only July 3rd :roll:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jul 2008 11:25

To be honest i think the vast majority of the players that would interest Premier league clubs would all hold pretty much the same opinion. They may make public utterances about being happy to stay but they would all rather be in the Top League.

I think the issue for Coppell is the attitude of those players when they are back in full training with the rest of the squad. That's probably the best way for him guage whether they fall into the "quitter" category he was referring to last week.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Jul 2008 11:28

Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy

in fact i saw harps coming out of the gym last week myself

good point
:oops:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Jul 2008 10:47

Boo hoo, agents in trying to get the most for their clients shocker...

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1339113,00.html

Grow some balls Coppell, it's the same for everyone.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 07 Jul 2008 11:00

Agents in inducing their players to break contracts shocker !!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Jul 2008 11:05

Roger the Rabbit Agents in inducing their players to break contracts shocker !!

Perhaps if he wasn't so slow, Coppell wouldn't be burning bridges and instead would be looking to use the power of agents to poach top players at smaller clubs. Just a thought though, I'm not saying that Coppell should demonstrate any form of intelligence as that would be breaking with his tradition.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 07 Jul 2008 11:06

Royalee Boo hoo, agents in trying to get the most for their clients shocker...

.. and does he say anything to contradict that? No. Are you a half wit? Yes. Have you got an education worth talking about? No.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Jul 2008 11:10

West Stand Man
Royalee Boo hoo, agents in trying to get the most for their clients shocker...

.. and does he say anything to contradict that? No. Are you a half wit? Yes. Have you got an education worth talking about? No.

Once again you've missed the point, but nevermind - you can't help it if you're thicker than the Great Wall of China.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 07 Jul 2008 11:11

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit Agents in inducing their players to break contracts shocker !!

Perhaps if he wasn't so slow, Coppell wouldn't be burning bridges and instead would be looking to use the power of agents to poach top players at smaller clubs. Just a thought though, I'm not saying that Coppell should demonstrate any form of intelligence as that would be breaking with his tradition.

This is the same Steve Coppell who went to a proper university and got a good degree that we are talking about isn't it? It isn't a halfwit from the South Coast College of semi-learning for those who couldn't get decent A levels let alone a meaningful degree?

223 posts