To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

rfc58

Re: To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

by rfc58 » 11 Aug 2008 17:42

Hugo Boss
chandog i dont understand why this thread has been made. Anyone who has any kind of idea about the club will know that we have just sold kitson and shorey for a lot of money. So there are funds available but coppell is keeping the same attitude towards transfers as he always has - to make as few as possible.

Agreed.

I don't get the whole "spend for spending sake" attitude that most supporters seem to adopt. Don't get me wrong, i'd quite like to see some new players bought in but if they aint right for the Club, they aint right and that's that.

I agree B-U-T I think for the club to give itself not only a better chance of a) going back up, and b) surviving in the PL, we need to invest in what many, including me see's as a tired/not quite good enough squad.

You mentioned that JM will sanction the spending, yes he will, but if you approach proven PL players and offer them less than the going rate, the pool of players you can buy is drastically reduced.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Aug 2008 23:08

Lets be a little prudent here. The club will not go for proven PL players as those who would be in the clubs pay structure would be either journeymen coming close to the end of their careers and possible injury threats - or asking for a weekly wage way above what the club is willing to pay.
The club as had the flash cars / attitude issues when we stepped up to the PL so why would the club want to go down that route. Even a couple of the players still within the club have these tendancies.
I distinctly remember a few years back that the club tried to cap player wages so this does not need escallating again.
Why go for broke if we do not succeed in attaining PL status.

The club after all, needs to be a going concern without too much debt - JM is aligning this ready to sell the club.

Young players hungry to prove a point, or the above outlined issue. No brainer really.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 Aug 2008 06:47

Totally agree ER, but that does not explain why we have not signed anyone other than Hunt.

There have been a few move from Div1 to The Champ this summer, and we have not signed any of them, I shall be very disapppointed if there is no movement this week

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Aug 2008 09:32

royalexile Lets be a little prudent here. The club will not go for proven PL players as those who would be in the clubs pay structure would be either journeymen coming close to the end of their careers and possible injury threats - or asking for a weekly wage way above what the club is willing to pay.
The club as had the flash cars / attitude issues when we stepped up to the PL so why would the club want to go down that route. Even a couple of the players still within the club have these tendancies.
I distinctly remember a few years back that the club tried to cap player wages so this does not need escallating again.

The club after all, needs to be a going concern without too much debt - JM is aligning this ready to sell the club.

Young players hungry to prove a point, or the above outlined issue. No brainer really.

Totally agree but the club can't have it both ways. If we're looking for young and hungry then we need to start utilising those that are already at the club and we have already invested time and money in. If those 19-20 year olds currently here are not deemed good enough to seriously challenge for the first team then we really do have to have a serious look at our academy set up from top to bottom. If we're not going to invest heavily in the transfer market then we have to give these youngsters the opportunity to come through for the long term future of the club. Quite rightly people say the signings we do make such as Kebe need to be given an opportunity to see if they can settle and succeed but really is a raw 24 year old from the French Leagues really less of a gamble than an England U-19 international who has played more first team games in English Football.?

Despite all the moaning and the doom and gloom there is an awful lot to be proud of at this football club, well for me anyway. I'm actually proud of the fact that we didn't buy our way into the Premiership or indeed buy our way to 8th place and that we don't spend millions lining the coffers of money-grabbing status obsessed indentikit Premiership footballers.

Sure we've learned a harsh lesson that once we get to the so-called promised land its extremely difficult to stop the extreme amount of hype and money turning the heads of certain individuals but for 2 glorious seasons we completely flew in the face of so called expert opinion.

We took our eye off the ball in a lot of areas last season but for those that think that the people that run our club ar clueless should note that an awful lot of championship clubs look at Reading FC as a role model to aspire too both on the field and indeed in the boardroom.

Skyline

by Skyline » 12 Aug 2008 09:54

Ignoring for a moment the fact that Madejski has been willing to spend £2.5m+ on both Halford and Fae at his manager's behest, let's also remember Scott Brown, who was going to cost us something like £4.5m before he decided he'd rather go to Celtic instead. The money's there people, it's just that Coppell either can't find someone to spend it on, or else is not willing to go out on a limb and spend large sums on a player.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Aug 2008 10:10

Skyline Ignoring for a moment the fact that Madejski has been willing to spend £2.5m+ on both Halford and Fae at his manager's behest, let's also remember Scott Brown, who was going to cost us something like £4.5m before he decided he'd rather go to Celtic instead. The money's there people, it's just that Coppell either can't find someone to spend it on, or else is not willing to go out on a limb and spend large sums on a player.

Scott Brown's decision was not to talk to us because he was convinced we would be involved in a relegation scrap and we lack the profile to show otherwise. Wigan are in the same boat in that respect so the only way they can convince them (or make it not as much of a factor) is to offer bigger incentives TO the player as well as FOR the player.

Its the combination of both of those 2 elements that we were not prepared to take the gamble on and thats down to both Coppell and Madejski. FWIW I agree with them.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 12 Aug 2008 11:16

royalexile Lets be a little prudent here. The club will not go for proven PL players as those who would be in the clubs pay structure would be either journeymen coming close to the end of their careers and possible injury threats - or asking for a weekly wage way above what the club is willing to pay.

We have to be willing to pay the going rate for players though if we want to compete.

Our total wage bill was not far off the other mid to lower Premier teams but "apparently" we weren't able or willing to pay certain players the same as the likes of Bolton or Fulham.

We seem to be obsessed by not rocking the boat within the squad, even if that means missing our on player X so as not to upset existing player Y by paying him 5k a week more.

Somehow other managers seem able to manage a dressing room with players being paid different amounts depending on their worth to the club. I don't see why we should be any different.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 12 Aug 2008 11:53

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/foo ... g_leftback

However...if the following is true...then I truly despair. No ambition, no plan, no hope. :cry:

“If we do something it will probably be the only signing we make, but I can’t say for sure.”

Skyline

by Skyline » 12 Aug 2008 12:54

Southbank Old Boy We seem to be obsessed by not rocking the boat within the squad, even if that means missing our on player X so as not to upset existing player Y by paying him 5k a week more.

The odd thing about this is that Coppell has said on more than one occasion that, when he was at Palace, the other players knew that Wright and Bright were on a lot more than them, but accepted it because they knew that the team as a whole was better off for having them there, so ultimately everyone got more.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Aug 2008 12:59

Skyline
Southbank Old Boy We seem to be obsessed by not rocking the boat within the squad, even if that means missing our on player X so as not to upset existing player Y by paying him 5k a week more.

The odd thing about this is that Coppell has said on more than one occasion that, when he was at Palace, the other players knew that Wright and Bright were on a lot more than them, but accepted it because they knew that the team as a whole was better off for having them there, so ultimately everyone got more.

Inadvertently i think that sums up the clubs reluctance. I don't think its players morale that is the issue from a club perspective but the knock-on effect of the next round of wage negotiations. Players might not get fazed by it but they and their agent will sure as hell use it as a bargaining tool.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 12 Aug 2008 13:00

Skyline

Exactly, although I remember it being Pardew that used to use that example I'm not sure I've heard of Coppell using it as well.

Skyline

by Skyline » 12 Aug 2008 17:12

Vision
Skyline

Inadvertently i think that sums up the clubs reluctance. I don't think its players morale that is the issue from a club perspective but the knock-on effect of the next round of wage negotiations. Players might not get fazed by it but they and their agent will sure as hell use it as a bargaining tool.

I got the impression it wasn't the next round of contract negotiations, it was things like win bonuses.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Aug 2008 20:13

Mostly @ I'MAMATEOFMATEJOVSKY

The "we need to sell before we buy" thing was a question of lowering of wage bill sufficently, not to raise funds for the transfer.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 12 Aug 2008 22:09

SCIAG Mostly @ I'MAMATEOFMATEJOVSKY

The "we need to sell before we buy" thing was a question of lowering of wage bill sufficently, not to raise funds for the transfer.

And just as much to allow Coppell to have the smaller squad to work with that he prefers apparently

emmer green dave

by emmer green dave » 14 Aug 2008 12:46

Why do we still leave things to Hammond between him and JM I think we will never get quality players in the club.Last season if we increased the maximum to £30k per week we would have got more players interested.We seem to be run exactly as the Daily Mirror says by accountants and not by people in the real football world.?what happens if at Christmas we are mid-table and it's to late to do anything.All the clubs pushing for PL will have the points in the bag but will still top up their squad just to make sure.This cancels any signings we make. We must be active now not when it's to late.JM get the money out and give to SC and not involve Hammond.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Aug 2008 13:43

Skyline Ignoring for a moment the fact that Madejski has been willing to spend £2.5m+ on both Halford and Fae at his manager's behest, let's also remember Scott Brown, who was going to cost us something like £4.5m before he decided he'd rather go to Celtic instead. The money's there people, it's just that Coppell either can't find someone to spend it on, or else is not willing to go out on a limb and spend large sums on a player.

I actually saw Scott Brown play last sunday and I really think we would not have been in a relegation scrap had we signed him.

Is that irony?

In terms of the wage bill, I read that our aggregate bill wasn't fantastically lower than any other but there were a lot of players on a reasonably high for us (but not that high for the league) and little flexibility to break the structure. I guess what this left us with was an inability to financially persuade the better players to stay and a lot of average players in a comfortable place.

Great.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 15 Aug 2008 10:37

papereyes [
I actually saw Scott Brown play last sunday and I really think we would not have been in a relegation scrap had we signed him.

best decision he ever made, as painful as is it is to say. He knew we were a small club who would get relegated and he was 100% correct in turning us down. LOL@ hna's reaction to his comments. " we'll prove him wrong" bla bla. We're in the championship now lads :lol:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Note To All Money Conspiracy Theorists

by Royalee » 30 Aug 2008 13:10

Have a day off, it's really getting quite boring now - when are you tossers going to accept that the manager needs to take responsibility for our plight as opposed to the board trying to make loads of money from a Championship club. If this was possible, everyone would be doing it you utter retards.

Next time you open your ar$es to rant about the chairman or Hammond or any other scapegoat on the board, use some quotes from Coppell to back them up at least, you're getting embarassing and part of me wants Reading to do shit this season because it's exactly what you idiots deserve - go and have a look at the other local clubs who used to compete on a level par with us and measure how profitable football clubs are and what a terrible job our chairman has done, you might actually learn something for once in your miserable lives.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Note To All Money Conspiracy Theorists

by LUX » 30 Aug 2008 13:13

what a likeable bloke. I think I've found one of Big Ern's 14 log-ins.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Note To All Money Conspiracy Theorists

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Aug 2008 13:20

Speaking from personal experience, you only need the one username to be totally objectionable..........................

:P
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 30 Aug 2008 13:21, edited 1 time in total.