Back From The Game - Forest (A)

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back From The Game

by rfcjoe » 10 Aug 2008 22:16

Pretty poor today due to Forest being fired up and applying pressure. We never seemed to settle 100%. Midfield got controlled by their black matey. Everyone in midfield apart from Cisse was extremely weak in the challenge. Shame really. Doyle and Lita worked hard but didn't win enough for me. Convey is the biggest wimp and chicken in football btw. Harps - the game passed him by.

Spotted : AP, rg6ers, AF1.

Thats all.

Tacano

by Tacano » 10 Aug 2008 22:37

cmonurz Thing is, if you go to watch Bracknell Town play, despite the level of football that they play, you would still expect one or two good crosses. So, I think to call our final ball 'diabolical all game' is perfectly accurate, even if Stephen (£10,000 a week) Hunt did manage one quality ball into the box.

I can only remember two decent crosses all game. Both were by Hunt.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 10 Aug 2008 22:45

Actually, one more positive from today. Did anyone else see the German Forest fan from 'Footballs Hardest Away Days'?! I was in stitches when I saw him!

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 10 Aug 2008 22:48

Tacano
cmonurz Thing is, if you go to watch Bracknell Town play, despite the level of football that they play, you would still expect one or two good crosses. So, I think to call our final ball 'diabolical all game' is perfectly accurate, even if Stephen (£10,000 a week) Hunt did manage one quality ball into the box.

Stephen Hunt is on 25 grand mate.
Shocking I know.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 10 Aug 2008 22:50

Was a very poor game, but considering how awful we were 0-0 is prob a good result.
We could have done with a home game to kick start our season, as I don't think I saw a single move from us that looked dangerous in the slightest.
Hopefully we'll look a lot more comfortable on saturday, and can play some nice football. I'm not sure whether we were nervous, complacent or just plain shite today, but we were very weak.
Anyway, lets forget this monstrosity and look forward to the mighty d and g and a bit more of henry, pearce and karacan.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Aug 2008 22:51

cmonurz Thing is, if you go to watch Bracknell Town play, despite the level of football that they play, you would still expect one or two good crosses.

I think this is our biggest problem and was a major problem last season for us as well. Thh 2 best crossers of the ball have gone, Shorey & Little. To be fair there is very litle we could do to prevent them leaving, but it comes back to the lact of activity in the transfer market and we should have signed players who can get a good ball ino the box already.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Aug 2008 09:32

Big Ern
cmonurz Thing is, if you go to watch Bracknell Town play, despite the level of football that they play, you would still expect one or two good crosses.

I think this is our biggest problem and was a major problem last season for us as well. Thh 2 best crossers of the ball have gone, Shorey & Little. To be fair there is very litle we could do to prevent them leaving, but it comes back to the lact of activity in the transfer market and we should have signed players who can get a good ball ino the box already.

Its not just quality crossing its quality passing in general. We've not just lost a left back, a right winger and a striker we've lost the best passers in the team as well as the player to link it all together. To make matters worse the only bloke we had left to fulfill that got stretchered off after 1/2 hour or so don't expect much to change anytime soon. Ball winning midfielders are all well and good but it also helps if you keep hold of the bleeding thing.

Yes our central midfield were chasing shadows today but thats what usually happens when we're up against a 3 man central midfield. Forest set up to do exactly what they did which was to control possession. On the plus side the defence was pretty well protected and apart from the first few seconds when both Sonko and Ingimarrsson missed the same ball and let Earnshaw in (saved by Hunt's intervention i might add), I genuinely don't think they ever looked like scoring.

We just desperately need quality yet despite that in my view we looked the more likely to score when we did reach the last 3rd generally because we still comitted players forward as opposed to Forest whose game plan appeared to be to keep the ball until they could slip Earnshaw in.

Thought Hunt was our best player today, there was more than one decent cross from him, a couple of decent runs and some decent defending as well. Kebe looked a threat until Marek went off and then he just looked completely lost. On this showing he's nothing more than an impact sub at best but anyone taking the piss out of his end product must clearly not have been paying attention to Convey whose final ball consisted entirely of rather desperate 20 yard pot shots despite us filling the penalty area at times.

All in all, happy enough with the away point and a clean sheet but unless we learn to keep the ball its gonna be an even bigger grind this season then i already thought.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Aug 2008 09:53

Got to say I was embarrassed to be a Reading fan yesterday. I was sat with Amanda Hahnemann and kids and 2 rows behind me were the biggest bunch of twats I've ever sat amongst at a football match. All were completely pissed and shouldn't have been let into the stadium in that state (I'm all for a bit of drinking but when you can barely stand up it's gone a wee bit too far), and the constant swearing and RACIST remarks were bang out of order. Also, Reading fans are at their best when all singing and chanting together, but yesterday the "Ahhh! oxf*rd of back to your minimum wage jobs you bunch of northern oxf*rd!" and "HAHAHA! Enjoy your jobs at the power station you oxf*rd!" wasn't remotely funny or clever.

I know that at least some of you are nobbers (literally) as you were trying to get a "Bill Oddie" chant going, so I hope you read this and are ashamed... Doubt it though. Small minded racist bigots will get off on a post like this.

Anywho, the football was pretty shite, and good to see Coppell back to his old ways of not making a substitution, no matter how bad it's looking. Personally thought Kebe had some moments where he looked very good, only to then overrun the ball and give it away. I would have had him off, put Doyle on the wing and bring either Hunt or Long on.

Really hope that we sign a decent LB soon as Hunt shouldn't be playing there. He did ok as a makeshift, but we can't rely on him to do a job there.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 Aug 2008 10:01

rfcjoe
Tacano

Stephen Hunt is on 25 grand mate.
Shocking I know.

He was rumoured to have taken the 40% pay cut along with nearly everyone else meaning he would be on about £15k per week.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Aug 2008 10:04

Rawlie19 I know that at least some of you are nobbers (literally) as you were trying to get a "Bill Oddie" chant going, so I hope you read this and are ashamed... Doubt it though. Small minded racist bigots will get off on a post like this.

Bill Odie pre-dates Hob Nob by years.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Aug 2008 10:08

Hoop Blah
Rawlie19 I know that at least some of you are nobbers (literally) as you were trying to get a "Bill Oddie" chant going, so I hope you read this and are ashamed... Doubt it though. Small minded racist bigots will get off on a post like this.

Bill Odie pre-dates Hob Nob by years.

I thought the first Bill Oddie chant was Brentford in early 00's?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 11 Aug 2008 10:14

Royalshow All together not really that impressed.We looked for the long ball far to often when we should have kept it on the deck.Doyle was very unlucky with his chance but an away win would properly not have been deserved.

The stewards were complete tits to be honest.When there are plenty of empty seats and no one is blocking anyones view,why insist of telling people to sit down :evil:

The seats are there for a reason.

If you want to stand up at a football match go and watch a non-league team. :roll:

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 11 Aug 2008 10:20

Gordons Cumming
Royalshow All together not really that impressed.We looked for the long ball far to often when we should have kept it on the deck.Doyle was very unlucky with his chance but an away win would properly not have been deserved.

The stewards were complete tits to be honest.When there are plenty of empty seats and no one is blocking anyones view,why insist of telling people to sit down :evil:

The seats are there for a reason.

If you want to stand up at a football match go and watch a non-league team. :roll:

Dagger are not non league..i'll go watch them.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 11 Aug 2008 10:34

:shock:

I thought we would conquer all before us. Well, that's the last time I listen to an RTG.

The thing that really struck me was that we have no-one in the team who can win the ball

Sorry, but I could have told you that six weeks ago. Royalee, for all his anger, and Ian Royal, for all his subservient defence of the club, also could have told you that six weeks ago.

McGugan and Moussi played better than our midfielders. Yet we, somehow, can't find "young and hungry" players to come in? These two. Where did Forest buy them from?

There are players that could have strengthened our side, there certainly were players who could have strengthened the side. We chose to do nothing.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 11 Aug 2008 10:47

Yesterday was like a pre-season friendly; pointless and pointless.

Anyone who thinks Kebe was decent needs to have a very hard long look at themselves. You could run with the ball as much as you like but if you don't pass it, don't shoot and can't cross the ball then you're pretty hopeless. He's like Bas but without the comedy element which makes him even worse as a player. It was never a penalty either.

Apart from the injury and "that save" the only other points of note was Sonko going down like a sack of spuds after getting the ball in the face and spotting Lenny Henry getting a game for Forest.

Here's to shipping 3 on Tuesday.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Aug 2008 10:49

How many of the Back from the Match comments are a result of the genuinely awe-inspiring in its crapness and lack of excitment commentary on the television?

How many have considered that this is the first outing for two teams in a new division - one being 'nervous' after relegation and returning with its tail between its legs the other being in "go for it" mode like we were two seasons ago.

From the TV, things weren't perfect that's obvious. But its not the doom and gloom that the thread seems to suggest - not yet anyway.

Still why should that get in way of a good whinge?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Aug 2008 10:51

Nick Shorey my Lord! Yesterday was like a pre-season friendly; pointless and pointless.

Not entirely true, we did get one point from the game. ;)

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 Aug 2008 10:55

Uke How many of the Back from the Match comments are a result of the genuinely awe-inspiring in its crapness and lack of excitment commentary on the television?

How many have considered that this is the first outing for two teams in a new division - one being 'nervous' after relegation and returning with its tail between its legs the other being in "go for it" mode like we were two seasons ago.

From the TV, things weren't perfect that's obvious. But its not the doom and gloom that the thread seems to suggest - not yet anyway.

Still why should that get in way of a good whinge?

Coppell seemed to imply that we deliberately took a cautious approach 'because it was the first game'. Not a great message for players or fans imho.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Aug 2008 10:56

Uke How many have considered that this is the first outing for two teams in a new division - one being 'nervous' after relegation and returning with its tail between its legs the other being in "go for it" mode like we were two seasons ago.

Nervous? 8 of those who started yesterday had played for us last time we were in this division, it was hardly a trip into the unknown was it? What were they nervous of? Robert Earnshaw? Robin Hood beating up the marines?

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 11 Aug 2008 11:05

floyd__streete
Uke How many have considered that this is the first outing for two teams in a new division - one being 'nervous' after relegation and returning with its tail between its legs the other being in "go for it" mode like we were two seasons ago.

Nervous? 8 of those who started yesterday had played for us last time we were in this division, it was hardly a trip into the unknown was it? What were they nervous of? Robert Earnshaw? Robin Hood beating up the marines?

Indeed. This is our level, this is the league we know well based on recent history. It was just dull, dull, dull.