Dave Mooney Signs

168 posts
Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Dave Mooney is Signing

by Archie's penalty » 20 Aug 2008 17:36

Big Ern
Alan Partridge
premiership_bound Oh look another undisclosed fee.

It's around £200,000

AMBITION!

Pardon?

Good signing. Nice to have five strikers in the squad. Two more signings - a left back/left winger and a right winger and this squad will be well capable of challenging this year...

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 20 Aug 2008 17:37

the lower the price the better in terms of how readings signing turn out

Bennett cost the most of the 4 we have signed from Cork...

Streets

by Streets » 20 Aug 2008 17:41

Archie's penalty
Big Ern
AMBITION!

Pardon?

Good signing. Nice to have five strikers in the squad. Two more signings - a left back/left winger and a right winger and this squad will be well capable of challenging this year...

Agreed!

Reading signing Mooney > Ern looking for love

rfc58

by rfc58 » 20 Aug 2008 17:41

Alan Partridge The cynic in me says Coppell doesn't want 5 strikers. Could be Doyle on his way or what I would prefer, Long out on loan for a month or two.

AP you have something there with Long.

I could never understand the club not loaning him out for a month or three, with an immediate call back last season, or the season before to a decent CCC side, as him playing top/competitive games in the CCC would have told us a lot about him as a player, but giving him 10 minutes here and there has left us no nearer to knowing if he is the player we hope or another "trier"

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 20 Aug 2008 17:42

Good luck to the lad.
The fee does seem incredibly cheap since we paid over £300,000 for Bennett and Sunderland paid £500,000 for Donovan or is it O'donovan?
Maybe the fee is irrelevant if Cork are due to get £700,000 from a Doyle transfer.
I really don't like the idea of Doyle AND Kitson going (it all then becomes worse than 1995) but let's not judge this player until he has played a few games.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Aug 2008 17:43

He's a young lad that needs to play, 10 games somewhere, I dunno like Leeds or even someone in the CCC would be good for him. Long isn't going to get those opportunites here just yet. That may well change in the future, Doyle could go, Lita in his last year, loss of form, injury, he needs to play.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 20 Aug 2008 17:44

BR2 Good luck to the lad.
The fee does seem incredibly cheap since we paid over £300,000 for Bennett and Sunderland paid £500,000 for Donovan or is it O'donovan?
Maybe the fee is irrelevant if Cork are due to get £700,000 from a Doyle transfer.
I really don't like the idea of Doyle AND Kitson going (it all then becomes worse than 1995) but let's not judge this player until he has played a few games.

Cork are skint and needed an instant cash injection, it's almost certainly lower than they would have normally hoped to get but the yhad no choice and we picked their pocket almost.

Streets

by Streets » 20 Aug 2008 17:46

rfc58
Alan Partridge The cynic in me says Coppell doesn't want 5 strikers. Could be Doyle on his way or what I would prefer, Long out on loan for a month or two.

I could never understand the club not loaning him out for a month or three, with an immediate call back last season, or the season before to a decent CCC side, as him playing top/competitive games in the CCC would have told us a lot about him as a player, but giving him 10 minutes here and there has left us no nearer to knowing if he is the player we hope or another "trier"

Completely agree. Long for me doesn't look any better than he did when he arrived here a few years ago. Has he developed? Hard to tell.

I think this could be his last season here unless Lita and Doyle move on and he becomes a more important player.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 20 Aug 2008 17:48

£200,000 not bad

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 20 Aug 2008 17:50

Streets
rfc58

Completely agree. Long for me doesn't look any better than he did when he arrived here a few years ago. Has he developed? Hard to tell.

I think this could be his last season here unless Lita and Doyle move on and he becomes a more important player.

Don't forget Long is only 21/22. He's still very much a young lad really, he had NO expereince when he first come here and he is a far better player now than his first few appearances. He's not the finished article and IMO of course would be 5th choice at this moment, I think a loan spell is just whats required from him. As for his last season? I hope not. I think Long in a few years time will be a very tidy player and more importantly a good goalscorer.
Last edited by Alan Partridge on 20 Aug 2008 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 20 Aug 2008 17:51

That's why I am sometimes critical of SC, I know w e owe him a lot, but unless I am making this football lark sound too easy, i cannot believe they let certain players go out on loan, but the ones we need to look at, stay at the club.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Aug 2008 17:51

Long has to kick on a gear. He got a fantastic chance at the start of last season after Lita got injured and Kitson suspended but failed to really grab it. He's needed a loan spell since the day we started the Premiership, imo.

As for Mooney, we'll see. I cannot believe we'll be lucky enough to hit gold a third time from Cork but ... well ... have high hopes.

Left back and central midfield improved, please.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 20 Aug 2008 17:52

Alan Partridge He's a young lad that needs to play, 10 games somewhere, I dunno like Leeds or even someone in the CCC would be good for him. Long isn't going to get those opportunites here just yet. That may well change in the future, Doyle could go, Lita in his last year, loss of form, injury, he needs to play.

Leeds Leicester or Southend would be ood shouts

But it wont happen (even if it should) becuase Long is the sort of player that Coppell loves to have coming off the bench.

and i think this is irrelevant anyway as Doyle is probably on his way....

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 20 Aug 2008 17:53

rg6royal £200,000 not bad

Totally agree mate, could work out to be a bargain. Madejski also says that he isnt the last signing. What are the bets we sign a irish left back? Whos the cork city eft back :wink:
Nah but seriously, at least the signing gives us some depth, who really would want to spend any more than £500,000 for an unproven player who is most likely to be a back up, so IMO £200,000 is a great bit of business.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 20 Aug 2008 17:55

Only one Trevor Morley
Alan Partridge He's a young lad that needs to play, 10 games somewhere, I dunno like Leeds or even someone in the CCC would be good for him. Long isn't going to get those opportunites here just yet. That may well change in the future, Doyle could go, Lita in his last year, loss of form, injury, he needs to play.

Leeds Leicester or Southend would be ood shouts

But it wont happen (even if it should) becuase Long is the sort of player that Coppell loves to have coming off the bench.

and i think this is irrelevant anyway as Doyle is probably on his way....

Well that is quite possible and would be a shame. Yep those would be good clubs, a decent club, demanding supporters get him under pressure and see if he responds.

Apparantly Radio Sheffield is saying we are after the Blades full back Armstrong, he'd do. Solid player would fill in well at left back. Sort out a bit of midfield cover and that would be Fanks.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Aug 2008 17:55

So, in the CCC we have 5 strikers - but for a period in the Prem when we fighting relegation, we only had 3. Something doesn't add up.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 20 Aug 2008 17:56

They had an Aussie player at the Olympics - Carney - who is meant to be a left back. Looked good enough in the game I watched, but he might be more of a left winger than a left back.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Aug 2008 17:57

Royal Lady So, in the CCC we have 5 strikers - but for a period in the Prem when we fighting relegation, we only had 3. Something doesn't add up.

exactly which leads me to believe there wont be 5 strikers at the club for too long. can see doyle moving on

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 20 Aug 2008 17:58

Royal Lady So, in the CCC we have 5 strikers - but for a period in the Prem when we fighting relegation, we only had 3. Something doesn't add up.

Tis a very strange one, as others elude to I think one (hopefully only temporarily) will be leaving us.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 20 Aug 2008 17:59

loyalroyal4life

exactly which leads me to believe there wont be 5 strikers at the club for too long. can see doyle moving on

Am I the only one hoping its LOLita?

:oops:

168 posts