Back from the game

131 posts
Captain Lager

Re: Back from the game

by Captain Lager » 17 Sep 2008 09:03

Deathy
Captain Lager That fat bloke milked his applause a bit didn't he?

Fat bloke, no shirt, playing up to the home fans for all of the 90 minutes. Yeah, of course he did. :roll:

Have a drink or something...

I think Bikey saw an oppertunity to score a few goals tonight hence why he drifted out of position a bit, after a quick telling off by Coppell he'll be bang on for next match. Where he'll be sat on the bench... :cry:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Sep 2008 09:11

Bikey & Pearce seemed to spend most of the 2nd half arguing about this that and the other but hugged at the end.

Whichever centre backs play on Saturday I won't be surprised.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Sep 2008 09:16

John Madejski's Wallet Listening on BBC berks in the car on way back from the match and they said:

"Reading managed to win 6-0 while only playing with 10 men as Kebe was anonymous"..........forgive me if i'm wrong but both of the opening goals came about from fantastic work from Kebe. Beautiful little dink round the defender to NHunt for the first and a great mazy run setting up the defensive panic that allowed the 2nd.

WTF were the commentators on about? :shock:

Quite right. The first goal came after he was initially dispossessed, regained the ball, back heeled a delightful pass to Rosenior, who passed to Hunt to set up Doyle. It would not have happened without Kebe's persistence and excellent vision. The second goal was a direct result of an incisive run by Kebe in from the right wing and a lovely set of triangles with Doyle that pressurised the defence. That said, he was not as influential as he was v Palace, but I guess his contribution was telling enough anyway.

As for Harper, he was not as directly influential last night as he has been. He didn't need to be though, so I wouldn't criticise too harshly.

... and the halfwits who wrote off Pearce and Karacan after the Ipswich game must be crying into their soup at the moment. I repeat what I said after Xtal Palace. They are not yet great, or even brilliant, but they both look comfortable and capable at this level. And they are both young enough to get much better if they keep developing at this rate. The future looks pretty good from where I am sitting.

Oh, and Long is not useless, and neither has he 'started his last game for Reading'. He had an off day on Saturday, and deserved to be dropped. He may have to wait to get back in the starting line up, as the Doyle/ Hunt pairing looked v godd last night, but I fully expect him to rise to that challenge and pressure Coppell in to some tought decisions later this season. For me, I'd be happy to see him come on with 1/2 hr to play if he can keep making such early impact as last night (he set up the run for Convey to give Hunt goal 6, I think, within 30 seconds of coming on).

kingsleyroyal

by kingsleyroyal » 17 Sep 2008 09:30

I think we were great last night, we played like a team for the first time in such a long time and that was the difference.

I'm not going to get carried away though cos Wednesday were pants! Their defence was shambolic. Watford will offer a completely different test to last night.

Lets build on this lads!

URZ!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Sep 2008 09:33

It was also extremely refreshing not to hear the drummer for the majority of the game - in fact, I didn't think he was at the game until mid way through the second half.

Note to Drummer - sometimes less is more. And in your case, never would be a good start.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 17 Sep 2008 09:43

I did hear a huge arguement in the N/E corner, slightly erractic drumming and then silence. RTFC drummer has attemped a coup.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 17 Sep 2008 09:47

T.R.O.L.I. It was also extremely refreshing not to hear the drummer for the majority of the game - in fact, I didn't think he was at the game until mid way through the second half.

Note to Drummer - sometimes less is more. And in your case, never would be a good start.

He only piped up in the second half coz Marcus encouraged him. Although Marcus's encouragement could also be interpreted as an acusation that the drummer partakes of self-abuse a bit too much.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Sep 2008 09:48

SPOTTED (at last night's game):

floyd__streete smiling (and being overheard saying he was enjoying the game) :shock:
AF1 leading the singing in the away end with no top on.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Sep 2008 09:54

I've seen Long play better than he did yesterday. Is he ill or something?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 17 Sep 2008 09:59

T.R.O.L.I. SPOTTED (at last night's game):

floyd__streete smiling (and being overheard saying he was enjoying the game) :shock:
AF1 leading the singing in the away end with no top on.

LOL

Also saw Floyd but under the concourse before kick off. Would have said hello but for the deep thought moody look on his face. I assumed that was his prematch preparation face. :wink:

Also Big Foot looking shockingly slim (well done sir), but the hair. WTF. It's all a bit David Hasselhoff :shock:

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Sep 2008 10:06

For me the biggest difference last night was the return of Bikey, the whole team seemed to be able to relax in the knowledge he would win his headers, win his tackles, distribute, and allow the others to get on with what they should be doing, and not mopping up for someone else.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2008 10:08

Sheffield Wednesday's defence where LOLable. Just when you think Reading won't break the top 6 this year you're reminded that the league is full of loads of other really average sides.

Thought Doyle and S.Hunt were excellent.

Now do it away from home.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Sep 2008 10:09

Definitely getting Bikey back is an improvement, progress you could say.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 17 Sep 2008 10:23

amazing game amazing atmosphere crap stewards

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 17 Sep 2008 10:25

a couple of things...

kebe is sooo right footed its unbelievable and sometimes should pass instead of running at people

karacan is immense his energy and passing was top drawer

harper although not on the ball much showed to me why we need him in the team, ran ihis arse off closing down space and helping the defence out

doyle ....nuff said

pearce was incredible today, won every head and instead of heading ball out or hoofing it upfrield a la inga and sonko he cleared the ball with accuracy and set up numerous counter attacks

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Sep 2008 10:32

madreadingfan amazing game amazing atmosphere crap stewards

What was wrong with the stewards?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Sep 2008 10:34

Alan Partridge Superb tonight, made a side that will finish comfortably mid table

Hmm, Wednesday have been struggling for many a season. They won't get anywhere near the mid table area. I'm not going to get carried away with any of our home form, we are yet to play anyone decent yet.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Sep 2008 10:39

I couldn't really work out what Wednesday were doing wrong. They seemed to be doing the right things, we just seemed better at it than they were, and there were always seemed to be three Reading players for every Wednesday player. I thought our defence was brilliant.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Sep 2008 10:59

Huntley & Palmer
Alan Partridge Superb tonight, made a side that will finish comfortably mid table

Hmm, Wednesday have been struggling for many a season. They won't get anywhere near the mid table area. I'm not going to get carried away with any of our home form, we are yet to play anyone decent yet.

They will finish about 13th this season.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 17 Sep 2008 10:59

Sarah Star I couldn't really work out what Wednesday were doing wrong. They seemed to be doing the right things,

Electing not to mark Doyle/track his runs was an unconventional approach to defending.

131 posts