Back from the QPR game

139 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game

by Tony Le Mesmer » 26 Oct 2008 00:05

earleyroyal People who resort to insults in place of debate are the tiresome ones. How about you point out what is wrong with criticising a bad performance?

Oh and if you were sitting next to me at the match (where it matters) you wouldn't hear a word of criticism out of my mouth.

The answer is 16

Bet you're glad you were'nt sat next to me. i did nothing but moan the whole game.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Oct 2008 00:08

QPR's speedy back line were awesome today (their keeper even more so), hence our lack of goals.

And what a difference a lack of a goal or four makes to some on here.

Another clean sheet, unbeaten at home, well done fellahs, today was always going to be a tough one.

Same starting eleven on Tuesday please Steve.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 26 Oct 2008 00:11

AthleticoSpizz Another clean sheet, unbeaten at home... today was always going to be a tough one.

That's right!

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 26 Oct 2008 00:14

Archie's penalty
earleyroyal People who resort to insults in place of debate are the tiresome ones. How about you point out what is wrong with criticising a bad performance?

Oh and if you were sitting next to me at the match (where it matters) you wouldn't hear a word of criticism out of my mouth.

The answer is 16

I just think there is an element of fickleness about the whole debate. That's why I think your ironic response to TLM was a bit over the top. We do have some problems and I would agree with you that centre midfield is our main concern. I would have Harper in instead of Bryn who played badly today. I do think that QPR played for a point, shut up shop and got what they wanted. I will be disappointed if we lose on Tuesday though. That is the test. If we win this performance will just be a memory. Sorry for the abuse.

You're right in that there are some people who think that every win means we're going to break the record, and that every defeat means Coppell Out, however I can't see much of that on this thread. That would be fickle, this thread seems to me just to be people reporting what they saw. It was a really, really poor performance, bereft of ideas and confidence, and people have every right to vent their frustration. Better to do it on the board than at the game :wink: over the past couple of years, the strongest critics seem to have been those who go to a lot of the games and are just disappointed at poor performances and results, not fickle fans or glory-hunters.

I said at the start of the season that I thought we'd be around the play-offs but just miss out, however having seen the weak standard of the first 4/5 teams to visit plus a couple of away games it did appear that we had one of the best two or three teams in the league so I revised that opinion. At home it seemed like we would roll over most teams. However a lot of those wins were built on goals where the opposition were dominating, or at least in the game, and we killed them at a set-piece (Palace, Burnley, Doncaster). While it was great it did cover up our weaknesses, mainly the glaring one in central midfield. I love Gunnarsson, he's a model professional, but he seems to have reached the point where his intelligence and hard work can't get him through games because he's too slow. Karacan is still learning and it's unrealistic to expect him to form a key part of a Championship winning side now. The way I see it, our other main weakness (linked to having a weak central midfield) is the tendency to hoof it when we don't have the players to do that, as someone said earlier on the thread.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 26 Oct 2008 00:16

Tony Le Mesmer

The answer is 16

Bet you're glad you were'nt sat next to me. i did nothing but moan the whole game.

:lol: I slagged off everything under my breath but I try and keep a positive face on at games and certainly shout (at the officials)/sing as much as possible, even if it makes no difference it can't hurt.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Oct 2008 00:21

earleyroyal
Archie's penalty

The answer is 16

I just think there is an element of fickleness about the whole debate. That's why I think your ironic response to TLM was a bit over the top. We do have some problems and I would agree with you that centre midfield is our main concern. I would have Harper in instead of Bryn who played badly today. I do think that QPR played for a point, shut up shop and got what they wanted. I will be disappointed if we lose on Tuesday though. That is the test. If we win this performance will just be a memory. Sorry for the abuse.

You're right in that there are some people who think that every win means we're going to break the record, and that every defeat means Coppell Out, however I can't see much of that on this thread. That would be fickle, this thread seems to me just to be people reporting what they saw. It was a really, really poor performance, bereft of ideas and confidence, and people have every right to vent their frustration. Better to do it on the board than at the game :wink: over the past couple of years, the strongest critics seem to have been those who go to a lot of the games and are just disappointed at poor performances and results, not fickle fans or glory-hunters.

I said at the start of the season that I thought we'd be around the play-offs but just miss out, however having seen the weak standard of the first 4/5 teams to visit plus a couple of away games it did appear that we had one of the best two or three teams in the league so I revised that opinion. At home it seemed like we would roll over most teams. However a lot of those wins were built on goals where the opposition were dominating, or at least in the game, and we killed them at a set-piece (Palace, Burnley, Doncaster). While it was great it did cover up our weaknesses, mainly the glaring one in central midfield. I love Gunnarsson, he's a model professional, but he seems to have reached the point where his intelligence and hard work can't get him through games because he's too slow. Karacan is still learning and it's unrealistic to expect him to form a key part of a Championship winning side now. The way I see it, our other main weakness (linked to having a weak central midfield) is the tendency to hoof it when we don't have the players to do that, as someone said earlier on the thread.

It wasn't a great performance by any means but as we have all been saying we need to win more away games. That way all the pressure isn't piled up on home games. We weren't going to win every home game so there was always going to be a day like today. It's how we react to it that is the key.

I would replace Bryn with Harper but I think there is life in the old dog yet...

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 26 Oct 2008 00:24

I hope so, more Gunnarssons/Ingimarssons and fewer Lampards/Ashley Coles would make the world a better place.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Oct 2008 01:01

earleyroyal I hope so, more Gunnarssons/Ingimarssons and fewer Lampards/Ashley Coles would make the world a better place.

It would definately make it a better place for strikers. :wink:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: QPR - back from the game

by bobby1413 » 26 Oct 2008 01:52

Why do you we have two "back from the game" threads?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 26 Oct 2008 02:07

AthleticoSpizz Same starting eleven on Tuesday please Steve.

Did you see the game? Do you even know what game were talking about? If you do, then you may need to control the nonsense that comes out of your gob.

Good thing your not our manager, if you were we'd already be mathematically relegated.

Gunnarson played an absolute shocker, he doesnt deserve to play next tuesday.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Oct 2008 02:38

SLAMMED

Did you see the game? Do you even know what game were talking about? If you do, then you may need to control the nonsense that comes out of your gob.

Good thing your not our manager, if you were we'd already be mathematically relegated.

:lol:

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 26 Oct 2008 03:51

That makes two live matches covered here in the U.S. and two dismal performances. SHunt was off his game today almost entirely and the passing was obviously an issue. As others have noted, agreed on Bikey looking a bit lackadaisical today - like he couldn't be bothered. However, I did appreciate his efforts to pass the ball out of the back third while Liam and Chris were all to happy to just launch it upfield - balls that were almost guaranteed to be gathered by the QPR midfield or back four.

Overall the team gets a 5.5.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Oct 2008 04:47

Blimey no pleasing some people. Over a season you are going to get stinkers like today we have been spoilt up to now with some great home performances. Move on we are not even a third of the way through the season yet. I can think of plenty of clubs who would rather be in our position at this stage.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 26 Oct 2008 04:58

SLAMMED

Absolute rubbish. So Gunnarsson comes up against established quality midfielders and doesn't have the best of games. I think people are failing to see that we didn't actually concede against a quality team like QPR. I'm sure Gunnarson played some sort of role in that. Maybe you should control the nonsense that comes out of your gob m8.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 26 Oct 2008 06:09

I didn't jump on the bandwagon to watch boring 0-0's, what happened to the 6-0 victories

Disappointed! Must. Try. Harder!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: QPR - back from the game

by The 17 Bus » 26 Oct 2008 06:54

There were two games i think, one of 90 mins and one of 85 mins HTH

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 26 Oct 2008 07:20

Didn't see the game live due to car problems :( Saw it on TV though which gives a bit of a different perspective. The general conclusion I've come to is, just like the Prem, teams are beginning to suss us out. Yesterday's game for was all about trying to get the ball out to the wings (generally with a long hopeful ball!). QPR encouraged that by winning the central midfield battle but most of the time the ball either didn't get to Hunt or Kebe or when it did they lost it. The only way around this is to play a more direct football playing it through the middle....step forward Mr. Matejovsky. I don't know if he is still not match fit but he's got to be back on the subs bench at least soon. Without him we are incapable of playing any other type of football.

Can't be bothered with full ratings but here's the main bits....

Gunnar - Obviously can't cope with 3 games in a week, looked knackered by the time he was taken off against Donny. Shouldn't have started today, always a yard behind the pace.

Karacan - becoming more anonymous with each game, needs a spell on the subs bench

SHunt - worst game of the season, nothing went right

Bikey - ditto, seems very complacent the last two games

USA - his distribution seemed surprisingly good on TV :shock:

I'll be really surprised if Harper doesn't start the next game.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Oct 2008 09:36

Joe 90 Two seasons later and we still have not replaced Sidwell ............ until we do, the teams that rush and harrass us out of midfield (like QPR and Doncaster) will cause us to revert to the hoofball that caused us to drop out of the Premeirship.
:cry:

Word.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Oct 2008 10:03

SteveRoyal Hahnemann [5] - Avergae game. Comfortable at times, also spilled a few, which was quite worrying.

Rosenior [6] - Good runs down the wing occasionally. Poor end product today.
Bikey [4] - My faveourite RFC player atm, and quite upsetting today. Made mistakes at crucial moments.
Ingi [6] - Sturdy, reliable.
Armstrong [6] - Looked comfortable today, not many mistakes, linked up well with Shunt occasionally.

Kebe [5] - What happened to him today? Saw hardly anything of him, looked to be cancelled out quite often.
Karacan [7] - Looked good. He wanted to get involved and push on, which was crucial today.
Gun [6] - Sturdy, though his defensive-minded decisions in and around the box often left me moaning.
Shunt [4] - The end product was nil today, apart from the odd few. He got completed cancelled out during the match, he couldn't make a decent run or anything. Disappointing.

Doyle [7] - Great work rate yet again. Had the most chances and the glancing header near the end shocked me!
Nunt [6] - Good work rate, didn't get much of a sniff of the ball today.

Subs:
Cisse [6] - Good to see him tackling and passing on, and his header from that corner was fantastic. I was sure it was in.
Harper [5] - Poor delivery from corners, but he pushed on. Good to see.

Overall: Not a great performance. Still, credit to QPR and good luck with the new gaffer.

Agree with your ratings Steve. Possibly a little harsh in S.Hunt as he probably deserves a 5 for effort - although end product was lacking today.

Others are slagging off central midfield (although they were overworked as Hunt and Kebe gave them little help) and Gunnar did look exhausted today so I would be surprised if he started on Tuesday. On the other hand I forget that Harper had come on after the first few minutes he was on the pitch - but thought Cisse looked very lively (great header could have won the game). Perhaps a Cisse and Karacan partnership is worth a look - may give us some more bite in midfield against a sturdy physical Burnley.

Thought Bikey was a bit scary today at times! and agree that Kebe was poor. Overall however it is hard to play against a team determined to get a point. If the linesman had done his job and given us a penalty for blatant handball it may well have turned out to be a very differnt game.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the QPR game

by Royal Lady » 26 Oct 2008 10:08

I still think we should build the midfield around Matejovsky. He's the only one that I feel, at the moment, could turn a game. But, he wasn't even on the bench yesterday - instead we had a defensive bench + Long. Hardly inspiring. I thought Marek was recovered from his injury - surely it's worth giving him some playing time on Tuesday?

I thought the game was dire. No-one appeared to have any clue. The number of balls that ended up nowhere or at the feet or head of QPR player was demoralising. Yes, we didn't lose or concede a goal, but that was more down to QPR's finishing being pretty rubbish and them not being much of a team to write home about these days.

139 posts