Lita for Norwich

139 posts
TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Lita for Norwich

by TFF » 09 Dec 2008 09:23

Ian Royal
Platypuss Long definitely needs to do a lot more learning regarding the art of the striker - the kind of learning you can only get through starting in a decent run of games. He really won't continue to develop much more without it.

The problem is he's been diabolical when starting and we don't have the time to let him bed in and improve. We need to be scoring and winning week in week out.

Whilst I think he's a useful sub he isn't an impact sub. And his appearances to goals show it.

Long: 2005/6 - 1(10) - 3, 2006/7 - 9(12) - 2, 2007/8 - 7(22) - 3, 2008/9 - 2(15) - 1.

Ok so it looks ok in the first two seasons, but since then he's had as many if not many more sub appearances in a season and has done no better and thats with quite a few starts in the Prem. Ok so it's a different level of play. But unless you're saying he gets more assists than goals (which I doubt) he really isn't an impact sub.

His goal scoring record isn't great but aside from our relegation season we haven't really needed a goal scoring super-sub. Long's role(and I agree with Dr H that he's good enough to do it) is to come on and help close out games using his pace to harass and stretch defences.

I'd still like to see a "Lita" type player in the squad (though one committed to the team) that could push for a starting place should Doyle or Hunt be unavailable.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2008 12:10

Dr Hfuhruhurr
RoyalBlue It's not just heresy!

The description of 'impact sub' really is in danger of a visit from the Advertising Standards Authority soon!

When we are struggling to find a goal/opening up front how many people are really sitting there thinking 'no problem he'll bring Long on soon and that will do the trick'?!

The alternative is the 'Lita Scenario'. We buy someone with some pedigree behind them, who cant get in the team because Doyle and Hunt are racking up the goals on a weekly basis (leading to the Division's best goal difference), gets frustrated with his place on the bench and demands to be loaned out to another CCC club. Its a waste of everybody's time and money. On top of that Long isnt THAT bad, certainly as a third placed striker. I accept what you say about not being an 'Impact' substitute, but so far this season we've hardly missed having an impact striker - we're usually ahead at that stage of the game!

And oh, he'll start a few games - Doyle and Hunt just dont have 46 games in them - no strike partnership does. Wouldnt be surprised if he starts tonight or at Norwich.

Of course, Id like to see a 19yo superstar on the bench, but they're in a bit of a short supply.

That's all well and good but what happens when Doyle or Hunt has 6 weeks out with a torn hamstring or some other injury. The club needs at least three forwards who are all good enough to command a first team spot. At the moment Long isn't at that level.

It's then up to the manager to keep those three forwards happy and motivated, either by bringing in the right players in the first place or by giving them all a fair crack of the whip. Coppell and Lita's relationship seemed to suffer, I suspect because Lita's ego got the better of him after U21's tournament and little bit of media and agent attention, but before that the three of Lita, Doyle and Kitson all seemed happy enough.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 20 Dec 2008 16:21

1 more for Leroy.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Dec 2008 16:24

im gutted he'll be going to be honest,i quite like the bloke really

more than adequate back up at this level, maybe good enough to start

just not here while hunt and doyle are firing them in

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 20 Dec 2008 16:25

brendywendy im gutted he'll be going to be honest,i quite like the bloke really

I wonder how serious Noel's injury is....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Dec 2008 16:26

what do you mean you like the bloke have you ever met him? good player who is a twat really.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 20 Dec 2008 16:26

7 goals in 14 games, in a struggling Championship side.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Dec 2008 16:28

its good he is scoring goals, we all know he aint staying with us so might as well boost his value for a sale in january

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Dec 2008 16:29

loyalroyal4life

what do you mean you like the bloke have you ever met him? good player who is a twat really.

no, i like him as a player always struck me as a decent lad, always worked hard at his game
and never done owt i can see that really pisses me off enough to want him out of my club, or call him a twat
unless you believe talk about burning 50 pound notes in clubs etc.
which would say more about you than him.

scored some great goals
and some vital ones

and is a hero to me just for the lehman incedent

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Dec 2008 16:31

chilipepper91

always scored at around that rate too, when hes getting games
hes a better finisher than longy and probably mooney anyway,

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2008 17:07

brendywendy
chilipepper91

always scored at around that rate too, when hes getting games
hes a better finisher than longy and probably mooney anyway,

Yes but that is all he does. In most games he has played for Reading he has done very little. He is a selfish player who just wants to score without any other contribution. Coppell likes forwards that work hard like Doyle, Hunt and Long and so do I.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 20 Dec 2008 17:13

Bring him back. Long is not first team squad standard, was awful when he came on today. Lita would be much better back up for Hunt and Doyle

tlcs

by tlcs » 20 Dec 2008 17:15

Couldn't put it better myself Andrew1957

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Dec 2008 18:49

Dont agree. He is a prolific goalscorer at this level and if Doyle gets injured we might just regret selling him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 18:52

PEARCEY Dont agree. He is a prolific goalscorer at this level and if Doyle gets injured we might just regret selling him.

He's good. He has the potential to be great, but he doesn't fit here. Sometimes you just have to accept that and move on. He doesn't want to be here and he has done very little for us for a long time. He'll do well if he stays at Norwich, but the bridges are burnt on both sides here.

Time to move on and bring in a replacement. In the summer we can also offload Long and improve the strikers further.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Dec 2008 18:57

Ian Royal
PEARCEY Dont agree. He is a prolific goalscorer at this level and if Doyle gets injured we might just regret selling him.

He's good. He has the potential to be great, but he doesn't fit here. Sometimes you just have to accept that and move on. He doesn't want to be here and he has done very little for us for a long time. He'll do well if he stays at Norwich, but the bridges are burnt on both sides here.

Time to move on and bring in a replacement. In the summer we can also offload Long and improve the strikers further.

Not so easy just to buy a goalscorer with a record as good as his come January though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 18:59

Coppell has a pretty good record with strikers. We should have a decent amount of cash available for the right player.

I just think that even a player less good than Lita would be a better option than Lita returning. But the replacement does need to have plenty of first team experience, preferably at least at chump level. Although League 1 would do if teh player is on the up.

John 3:16

by John 3:16 » 20 Dec 2008 19:01

If he goes (and I can't see him staying) we need to replace. ShLong is just NOT good enough for the Championship, let alone Premier League. Has no killer instinct like Leroy. Personally, I'd sell Lita as he just doesn't fit with our team, but that doesn't mean I don't think he can do a job in the Champ and the Prem.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 20 Dec 2008 19:04

Keep him and sell Long

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Dec 2008 19:05

rg6royal Keep him and sell Long

Who the oxf*rd to?! And for what?!

139 posts