Birmingham next week

130 posts
moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Birmingham next week

by moo » 14 Dec 2008 13:02

How the fcuk is a 4 man midfield gonna be over with Quashie in there? Get a grip, we've competed against much stronger midfields

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 14 Dec 2008 13:07

rabidbee :?:

I normally hate it when people do stuff like that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Dec 2008 13:10

rg6royal
Chuckle Brother
chilipepper91 I don't think Matejovsky has the pace to be a winger. He needs to be in the middle to play the football he wants. Too often today he drifted inside from the wing, leaving Rosenior exposed.

There is a subtle difference between being a right winger and a right sided midfielder.

Ask Darren Caskey who didn't exactly have "electric pace".

Marek's best position is behind the striker.

And that fantastic insight is based on exactly how many performances in that role? He doesn't play there for the Czech Republic and he doesn't play there for us.

He's correct about the difference between right midfielders and right wingers. Unfortunately Coppell's system of 4-4-2 relies on attacking wingers. Hence why we were so awful last season and why we never really got anywhere relying on Hughes.

Marek is a central midfielder who would work in a 4-4-2 that was about creativity through the middle. Ours is completely set up to be creative down the flanks, with the middle distributing the ball wide quickly and hassling the opposition attacks. Marek is wasted in a team like that.

I think we could get away with playing Marek away against the poorer teams in the division when they may actually try and beat us, in theory it would give him the space to play his game. At home when they just flood the middle he isn't a great deal of use. Against the good teams, he just doesn't have enough defensive presence or quality to play in a midfield which also has defensively light weight wingers

Coppell won't switch to 3 or 5 in midfield this season, so Marek is currently not a great deal of use to us. IMO. Certainly not against a tough, dangerous Birmingham.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Dec 2008 13:14

Platypuss We've just won 4 on the bounce and conceded only the one goal. Does anyone really think SC will change the back 4?

and the goal we conceded was an unstoppable freekick that wasnt the back 4's fault

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 14 Dec 2008 13:16

That Friday Feeling
londinium I can only see one team for next week.

As I am sure Coppell will be the first to admit...horses for courses.. keep players in their correct position, not central midfielders on the wing.

Fed

Rosenior Ivar Bikey Stretch

SHunt Harper Cisse Henry

Doyle Long

I think Bikey offer that bit more than Doobs but wouldnt be unhappy to see Doobs there.
Henry is a winger, Marek isnt.
Yes the central two look defensive, but we are away from home and I would settle for a clean sheet and a point.
This may just be the time to rest Noel as he hasnt been great in the last 2 games and Longy may just have the confidence to put in the sort of performance he is capable of.

So why swap the wingers?

Oops obvious typo error.... you get my point though... Henry for Marek.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Dec 2008 13:24

londinium
SLAMMED
londinium I can only see one team for next week.

As I am sure Coppell will be the first to admit...horses for courses.. keep players in their correct position, not central midfielders on the wing.

Fed

Rosenior Ivar Bikey Stretch

SHunt Harper Cisse Henry

Doyle Long

I think Bikey offer that bit more than Doobs but wouldnt be unhappy to see Doobs there.
Henry is a winger, Marek isnt.
Yes the central two look defensive, but we are away from home and I would settle for a clean sheet and a point.
This may just be the time to rest Noel as he hasnt been great in the last 2 games and Longy may just have the confidence to put in the sort of performance he is capable of.

agreed with you untill that last sentence. And that sentence let your whole post down. D+

I am really glad you disagree, that makes me feel I have got it just about right, as I value your opinion less than I do belly button fluff.

Sod off. judging by your opinion i guess your the kind of person that votes for bas savage in the PFA awards

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Dec 2008 14:31

Ian Royal
And that fantastic insight is based on exactly how many performances in that role? He doesn't play there for the Czech Republic and he doesn't play there for us.

He's correct about the difference between right midfielders and right wingers. Unfortunately Coppell's system of 4-4-2 relies on attacking wingers. Hence why we were so awful last season and why we never really got anywhere relying on Hughes.

Marek is a central midfielder who would work in a 4-4-2 that was about creativity through the middle. Ours is completely set up to be creative down the flanks, with the middle distributing the ball wide quickly and hassling the opposition attacks. Marek is wasted in a team like that.

I think we could get away with playing Marek away against the poorer teams in the division when they may actually try and beat us, in theory it would give him the space to play his game. At home when they just flood the middle he isn't a great deal of use. Against the good teams, he just doesn't have enough defensive presence or quality to play in a midfield which also has defensively light weight wingers

Coppell won't switch to 3 or 5 in midfield this season, so Marek is currently not a great deal of use to us. IMO. Certainly not against a tough, dangerous Birmingham.

Where has this irrational hatred of Matejovsky come from IR?

Noel has been crap for a while now, I would consider bringing Mate in to a 4-4-1-1 formation myself.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 14 Dec 2008 14:50

We need strong midfielders squaring up to Quashie and Carsley- otherwise they will rule the centre midfield area - Think we need to play Gunnar and Cisse, or even Bikey

If we get central midfield right, we'll win the game

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 14 Dec 2008 14:53

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY We need strong midfielders squaring up to Quashie and Carsley- otherwise they will rule the centre midfield area - Think we need to play Gunnar and Cisse, or even Bikey

Bikey and Cisse in the midfield could be good.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 14 Dec 2008 15:03

For me there's just one question about next week, and that's the right wing. Harper will definitely start simply because Coppell will want a hard working midfield in this game and Marek won't do his defensive share if he plays in the middle. The defence and attack will be the same as we've only conceded 1 goal in 4 games and Doyle and N. Hunt have been performing all season. Therefore this is my prediction:

Fed
Rosenior Doobs Ivar Armstrong
Henry/Marek Cisse Harper S. Hunt
N. Hunt Doyle

Nice and predictable. I will be in trouble with the "Marek is God" brigade, but I hope he doesn't start. We lacked width and balance so much with him on the right yesterday and Henry helped turn the game in my view. Even when Marek had time and space on the ball yesterday he disappointed me, even when he moved into the centre at the end. He clearly does have talent, but something's wrong with him in our team.

Everyone makes excuses like:

His mind is ahead of the teams.
He needs more defensive cover behind him.
Lita up front would suit him better.
Our team's style focuses on the wings too much.

All these excuses and many others are true, they are holding Marek back. That doesn't mean we should build the entire team around him, that's an excuse to keep him out. We're 3rd, averaging 2 points a game. To move away from the style that has got us this far just to accommodate Matejovsky would be a stupid idea. Henry is good enough, let him start. Marek on the bench.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 Dec 2008 15:14

I think Henry's 10 minutes yesterday warrants a start. He won the game for us basically with his energy alone. Marek played far too narrow for a winger, and he wasnt given the chance to play his normal game.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Dec 2008 15:53

chilipepper91

Fair enough. I only care because United are my 'other' team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Dec 2008 15:55

rhroyal For me there's just one question about next week, and that's the right wing. Harper will definitely start simply because Coppell will want a hard working midfield in this game and Marek won't do his defensive share if he plays in the middle. The defence and attack will be the same as we've only conceded 1 goal in 4 games and Doyle and N. Hunt have been performing all season. Therefore this is my prediction:

Fed
Rosenior Doobs Ivar Armstrong
Henry/Marek Cisse Harper S. Hunt
N. Hunt Doyle

Nice and predictable. I will be in trouble with the "Marek is God" brigade, but I hope he doesn't start. We lacked width and balance so much with him on the right yesterday and Henry helped turn the game in my view. Even when Marek had time and space on the ball yesterday he disappointed me, even when he moved into the centre at the end. He clearly does have talent, but something's wrong with him in our team.

Everyone makes excuses like:

His mind is ahead of the teams.
He needs more defensive cover behind him.
Lita up front would suit him better.
Our team's style focuses on the wings too much.

All these excuses and many others are true, they are holding Marek back. That doesn't mean we should build the entire team around him, that's an excuse to keep him out. We're 3rd, averaging 2 points a game. To move away from the style that has got us this far just to accommodate Matejovsky would be a stupid idea. Henry is good enough, let him start. Marek on the bench.

That strikes me as a well thought out, balanced view of the situation.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 14 Dec 2008 16:05

Hope we dont change the back four this saturday, We had three clean sheets on the bounce so there no need to Despite Bikeys return.

I do rate Bikey but he is worrying at times with silly balls out of defence instead of just booting it upfield, Henry to start Marek isnt a winger and proved that yday. Also Henry was Brillaint when he came on so deserves a chance.

Same front 2 Longs not gd enough to start such a Big gme.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Dec 2008 17:18

This is possibly one of the biggest games of recent years for us and is the first time since Boro at home 1st day of Premiership season where my anticipation of the game is killing me.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Dec 2008 17:39

I thought Henry was brilliant against Norwich because of his pace. Coming on as a substitute made more use of this against a tiring Norwich team. I'm not completely sure this would work against Birmingham if he started...same with Long. Mind you, someone who regularly plays down the wing would probably be better than Marek. It's unfortunate that this is such a big game and changes have been forced on us because Kebe would have been the automatic choice.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Dec 2008 18:39

URZZZZZZZZ I think Henry's 10 minutes yesterday warrants a start. He won the game for us basically with his energy alone. Marek played far too narrow for a winger, and he wasnt given the chance to play his normal game.

was mplayed as aright midfielder, and was probably asked to play narrower by coppell himself

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Dec 2008 19:07

Avon Royal
Archie's penalty
moo I am creaming myself now.

Fed
Ros Doobs Ivar Stretch
Henry Marek Bryn Shunt
Doyle Nhunt

Probably what I would go with as well.

Cisse to start, Bryn as sub.

+1

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Dec 2008 19:09

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY We need strong midfielders squaring up to Quashie and Carsley- otherwise they will rule the centre midfield area - Think we need to play Gunnar and Cisse, or even Bikey

so no marek or harps???

has to be marek and cisse to start

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Dec 2008 21:27

rabidbee
chilipepper91

Fair enough. I only care because United are my 'other' team.

your "other" team? :roll: gLOLory hunter/ pLOLastic?

130 posts