Back From The Cardiff Game.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back From The Game.

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Dec 2008 21:26

Having seen Arthur Wilkie the keeper score 2 goals all those years ago I think today's was exceptional.
In Wilkie's case he was only playing wide right because he was injured and couldn't play in goal (no subs then) but today was the first I have ever seen live by a keeper-well done Adam.
As for the game either Ledley or Bothroyd could have won the game for them but for our effort in the first 15 minutes and the last 15 I think a draw was about right.
Disappointed with Henry as he was up against a left-winger at left-back and to those that think S Hunt is invaluable to us do please try to get a video of the game.
One interesting aspect of the game was a decent display by Bothroyd in the art of holding up the ball and giving time for others to join in-there surely must be somebody out there who could bring that to our game when our hectic and occasionally hit-and-hope game fails.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 26 Dec 2008 21:29

Ian Royal Can't win 'em all and we're not up to Wolves standard this season (consistency wise, on our day we are about a match for them). 5 wins on the trot, a tough game against a decent Cardiff side which results in a draw.

I think it is fair to say that we were more than a match for them when we played them earlier in the season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Dec 2008 22:01

Arch
brendywendy especially as teh 2 minutes saved in the stadium, are all spent waiting in carparks or buses anyway
utterly pointless
and no excuses
if you leave early, you are gay, and thats the end of it

Or lesbian in this case.

Shirley gay is unisex (in more ways than one)

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 26 Dec 2008 22:07

[quote="Victor Meldrew"
One interesting aspect of the game was a decent display by Bothroyd in the art of holding up the ball and giving time for others to join in-there surely must be somebody out there who could bring that to our game when our hectic and occasionally hit-and-hope game fails.[/quote]

I second that ................The name Kitson springs to mind.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Dec 2008 22:20

Royal Lady Last 5 minutes excellent - previous 90 - shite. We need to play a damn sight better than that on Sunday imo.

and we will dont worry about that

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 26 Dec 2008 23:08

brendywendy
AbovetheI What is it with Reading fans? Spent the whole game singing anti Welsh songs. The only good bit of atmosphere that got going was pre kick off. Doobs needed us for support during the second half, but Y26 seemed content singing "Let's all act like spastics" after the funny head tapping chant. Well done, as always.

all i heard was one engerland chant after about an hour of abuse from them
our fans were shit though
and theirs, barring those on the pitch were superb
made us look like the middle class synchronised clappers we are

Stand Up If You Hate the Welsh was the first Wales/England chant of the day, about 6 minutes into the game, which prompted their chant of Always Shit on the English Side of the Bridge. Not that I'm especially bothered by banter, as long as it's generally good humoured, but I don't know where these ideas that a) it was all them and b) playing the Welsh teams doesn't matter to English fans come from.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Dec 2008 23:09

Percy's Rocket [quote="Victor Meldrew"
One interesting aspect of the game was a decent display by Bothroyd in the art of holding up the ball and giving time for others to join in-there surely must be somebody out there who could bring that to our game when our hectic and occasionally hit-and-hope game fails.

I second that ................The name Kitson springs to mind.[/quote]

He was rubbish

southstand67

Re: Back From The Cardiff Game.

by southstand67 » 26 Dec 2008 23:25

I thought their goal was offside too, well done to Fedirici cos he made a good save a few minutes after they'd scored. Is it me or am I wrong in thinking that a 'keeper should stay in his goal? Surely if he wanted to score he coulda become a striker?

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 26 Dec 2008 23:26

As testified by 55 goals in 120 games (Kitson)

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Dec 2008 23:30

Percy's Rocket As testified by 55 goals in 120 games (Kitson)

Ktson was great. I though Boothroyd looked slow, overweight and probably having his last few games at this level.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Dec 2008 23:38

eleventh earl of mar
Ian Royal Can't win 'em all and we're not up to Wolves standard this season (consistency wise, on our day we are about a match for them). 5 wins on the trot, a tough game against a decent Cardiff side which results in a draw.

I think it is fair to say that we were more than a match for them when we played them earlier in the season.

Yes, but in that game both of their wingers went off in the first half injured. If we'd lost Kebe and SHunt in that game, rather than them lose their wide players they'd have beaten us fairly easily IMO.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 26 Dec 2008 23:47

Jack Celliers

Ktson was great. I though Boothroyd looked slow, overweight and probably having his last few games at this level.

I thought he looked totally the opposite, FWIW.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Dec 2008 23:50

chilipepper91
Jack Celliers

'greed, I wouldn't say he's overweight, but he certainly is absolutely massive.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 26 Dec 2008 23:51

Ian Royal
eleventh earl of mar

Yes, but in that game both of their wingers went off in the first half injured. If we'd lost Kebe and SHunt in that game, rather than them lose their wide players they'd have beaten us fairly easily IMO.

Fair comment, but that is part of football. Every club and their supporters would probably say the same about players that did not play or were taken off in games they have lost points in.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Dec 2008 23:53

LOL @ Doobs when he went to pass it back to Fed down in the North West Corner and he just kicked it off for a corner!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Dec 2008 23:57

eleventh earl of mar
Ian Royal
eleventh earl of mar I think it is fair to say that we were more than a match for them when we played them earlier in the season.

Fair comment, but that is part of football. Every club and their supporters would probably say the same about players that did not play or were taken off in games they have lost points in.

I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong by us finishing top and beating them convincingly at the mad stad as well. Just don't see it happening.

This season the big question is what will prove better?
Inconsistent flair and style, or consistent hard work and ground out wins... The answer will be given when we know who gets second in May.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Dec 2008 00:08

Ian Royal
I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong by us finishing top and beating them convincingly at the mad stad as well. Just don't see it happening.

This season the big question is what will prove better?
Inconsistent flair and style, or consistent hard work and ground out wins... The answer will be given when we know who gets second in May.

For once I find myself agreeing with you.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Dec 2008 00:11

chilipepper91
Jack Celliers

me to, thought he had a decent game tbh

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Dec 2008 00:13

I too thought he was decent and I can't stand the guy. Caused our defence no end of problems.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Dec 2008 09:16

I thought there were a lot of players not playing as well as we've come to expect today.

In defence Stretch, Rosie, and Ivar were average to poor, and Doobs had an absolute stinker even before getting wound up by the crowd.

In midfield Henry looked disinterested and incapable of tackling, not for the first time SHunt couldn't seem to control or pass the ball; if his mind is elsewhere he should just go. Cisse and Harper did ok in midfield although it was a battle and scrappy until it opened up at the end of the game. Harper particularly played better than I've seen for a while.

Doyle missed a sitter but otherwise worked the channels as usual but to little effect, and NHunt was mostly anonymous.

Kebe had trouble controlling the ball but he certainly added a spark when he came on and I'd like to see him start on Sunday. Long did OK, particularly winning more headers, I don't know how the ref didn't give a foul when he got elbowed in the mouth and had blood pouring out. He just said get up and get on with it, then oh get off the pitch and get treated.

Fed was a star, not only for his goal, but playing on after getting clattered by Chopra.

Ref, card happy, inconsistent, and fell for all the time wasting and play acting from Cardiff and Chopra in particular.

Also thought their goal was offside in the build up and when played through.