Sir John Madejski

Joe 90

Re: Sir John Madejski

by Joe 90 » 31 Dec 2008 16:58

Well deserved and long overdue

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 31 Dec 2008 17:11

Oh a Multi millionaire is given a knight hood for doing charity work what a load of rubbish. There are millions of people in the country who do far more than that ego and are given no recognition. Everything Madejski has done is driven by self promotion.why else would he name a football ground and art galleries after himself.
Last edited by RichieBowman on 31 Dec 2008 17:30, edited 2 times in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Dec 2008 17:17

RichieBowman Oh a Multi millionaire is given a knight hood for doing charity work what a load of rubbish. There are millions of people in the country who do far more than that ego and are given no recognition. Everything Madejski has done is driven by self promotion why else would he name a football ground and art galleries after himself.

Madejski has most likely donated more money to charitable acts in his time than you could most likely ever dream of earning in a lifetime. So what if schools/galleries/stadia are named after him? The important thing is surely the fact that he has sponsored civic services and amenities, putting his hand in his pocket to make a difference. His legacy will live long after he dies; who will remember you when you die I wonder?

Still, you are welcome to your contrary point of view, however ignorant.

hutch

by hutch » 31 Dec 2008 17:37

Well done Sir John, I saw Mr Madejski in the VIP section of Manumission in Ibiza in 1995, (it was called KU then). Surely this must be the most unlikely place you would ever expect to see our chairman??? He`s always been a great man for me but for that act alone, he`s a legend in my eyes!!!!!!!!!! 8)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Dec 2008 17:39

brendywendy i wanted to apply for an honour for someone, but i reckon ive got about as much chance as, something with no chance.

Leroy Lita from the penalty spot?

Adam Federici sco... oh.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 31 Dec 2008 18:13

floyd__streete
RichieBowman Oh a Multi millionaire is given a knight hood for doing charity work what a load of rubbish. There are millions of people in the country who do far more than that ego and are given no recognition. Everything Madejski has done is driven by self promotion why else would he name a football ground and art galleries after himself.

Madejski has most likely donated more money to charitable acts in his time than you could most likely ever dream of earning in a lifetime. So what if schools/galleries/stadia are named after him? The important thing is surely the fact that he has sponsored civic services and amenities, putting his hand in his pocket to make a difference. His legacy will live long after he dies; who will remember you when you die I wonder?

Still, you are welcome to your contrary point of view, however ignorant.

I usually agree with you Floyd but not entirely on this occasion. Whilst not begrudging JM his knighthood the system is rank in that many people spend vast amounts of their (precious) time doing charitable acts - without recognition.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 Dec 2008 19:18

Man Friday I usually agree with you Floyd but not entirely on this occasion. Whilst not begrudging JM his knighthood the system is rank in that many people spend vast amounts of their (precious) time doing charitable acts - without recognition.
Out of interest, How many of these peoples names did you put forward for inclusion in the new years honours list?

If you want something to happen get involved in making it happen.

I believe JM deserves a knighthood and I agree many others deserve similar recognition.

Considering how long it took for the majority of the 1966 England World Cup Winning team to receive Knighthoods I believe the likes of Will Hoy, Rebecca Adlington and Lewis Hamilton have been awarded too much too soon.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Dec 2008 20:14

Mr Angry Very well deserved honour, especially in funding a failing school and helping turn it round as a result.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 447678.stm early days at the school, but it is still failing, and threatened with closure, however not sure how that works, where do the pupils then go?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Dec 2008 20:17

Forbury Lion
Man Friday I usually agree with you Floyd but not entirely on this occasion. Whilst not begrudging JM his knighthood the system is rank in that many people spend vast amounts of their (precious) time doing charitable acts - without recognition.
Out of interest, How many of these peoples names did you put forward for inclusion in the new years honours list?

I believe JM deserves a knighthood and I agree many others deserve similar recognition.

Considering how long it took for the majority of the 1966 England World Cup Winning team to receive Knighthoods I believe the likes of Will Hoy, Rebecca Adlington and Lewis Hamilton have been awarded too much too soon.

Why do you think he deserves a Knighthood Forbes, out of interest????

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 31 Dec 2008 22:01

Cilla - Arise Sir John, or are you just glad to see me?

Sir John, many congrats on your Honour.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 Dec 2008 22:28

The 17 Bus
Forbury Lion

Why do you think he deserves a Knighthood Forbes, out of interest????
Well Jeffrey Archer was made a Lord so by that barometer everyone deserves one.

Seriously though, he has invested/donated funds that he didn't have to invest/donate in the arts and education, Some might say he bought his knighthood this way and if he did then so what, it benefits him getting a knighthood and benefits the causes he donated to.

Meridan TV mentioned his donations to places like the Royal Victoria and Albert museum, Funding the JM Accademy and the Station hill redevelopment....... the last of which isn't a bleeding charitable cause, it's a money making venture that will probably benefit the town as well as the bank balance of sackville properties.... the knighthood is for charitable work for education and the arts not property development :roll:

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 31 Dec 2008 23:03

quote="The 17 Bus"]
Forbury Lion

Why do you think he deserves a Knighthood Forbes, out of interest????[/quote]Well Jeffrey Archer was made a Lord so by that barometer everyone deserves one.

Seriously though, he has invested/donated funds that he didn't have to invest/donate in the arts and education, Some might say he bought his knighthood this way and if he did then so what, it benefits him getting a knighthood and benefits the causes he donated to.

Meridan TV mentioned his donations to places like the Royal Victoria and Albert museum, Funding the JM Accademy and the Station hill redevelopment....... the last of which isn't a bleeding charitable cause, it's a money making venture that will probably benefit the town as well as the bank balance of sackville properties.... the knighthood is for charitable work for education and the arts not property development :roll:[/quote]

They also mentioned Reading FC and you have not mentioned that as not being a charitable cause.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 01 Jan 2009 04:51

Frankly, and I know I will get a slagging off for this, I think the new years honours list is about the most juvenile attention-seeking load of balls going. Anyone who thinks being called Sir before their name makes them big, clever or important needs to grow up. New Years Honours equals pathetic.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 01 Jan 2009 06:55

I think JM got it for work we do not even know about, it says charitable work, well the arts are not, and neither is the Academy School, so I think he must do a lot out of the limelight, if so I add my best wishes, if it is for just spending his money, well I have spent all mine, all I got is debts.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jan 2009 10:44

Reading FC isn't a money making venture, and he has put a massive amount back into the community of Reading in developing it into the club it is today.

Add that to the other charitable stuff and the arts.

Yes the honours system is massively open to abuse and tends to go to those at the top with friends in the right places, but it's the best system of recognition for people who do something deserving of reward we have.

If you think you know someone who invests their time in charitable works and helps their community recommend them to your MP to get him / her to try to get them an honour. I'm confident obscure non famous people get them, just not very often, and the names aren't usually publicised very much because no one knows who they are.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 01 Jan 2009 10:50

If you can get a knighthood for riding a bike around in circles, then surely John is entitled to one for his efforts for the Reading area and charity etc.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 01 Jan 2009 12:23

Not before time.

Congratulations to a real gentleman.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 01 Jan 2009 12:40

namroyal We need Sir Steve next.

+1 If he stays loyal to the Royals, I'm sure he will do.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jan 2009 13:05

SteveRoyal
namroyal We need Sir Steve next.

+1 If he stays loyal to the Royals, I'm sure he will do.

Managers rarely get an honour without a fantastic achievement. Coppell will not get anything whilst he's our manager.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Jan 2009 13:50

Ian Royal Reading FC isn't a money making venture, and he has put a massive amount back into the community of Reading in developing it into the club it is today.

It is a money-making venture and always has been - if he had sold up 2 years ago for over "100M the profit would have been massive.

Don't think I'm knocking him, though - he saw a business opportunity and took it, so good luck to him. Just don't give me any of this guff that it was an act of philanthropy or that he did it for the people of Reading or the community. It was a business-venture, pure and simple - with the perhaps unexpected result of also massively enhancing his public profile.