Back from the Watford game...

206 posts
chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Watford game...

by chilipepper91 » 10 Jan 2009 11:45

Royal Rother
RoyalBlue Was it a penalty to us BTW?

Definitely - but it wasn't much of a tug and most players would have had the strength to brush it off and get their nut on the ball. Kebe is a bit weak really and seems not to relish the physical stuff.

When was this?

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 11:46

Despite us not performing particuarlly well we still won 4-0!!

I'm noticing now how teams come here and try to keep the ball for as long as possible. When going forward in the second half we looked a big threat as their defence couldn't handle and likes of doyle and hunt. So glad to see Armstrong score, a goal which a striker would be proud of. He's the unsung hero so far this season. I thought Kebe had a poor game as he really never got going.

Roll on Swansea.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2009 11:46

I thought that was a pretty typical Reading performance tbh.

We attacked hard and fast down the wings and created a shed full of chances and half chances, but the other team had the majority of posession. I couldn't understand people getting frustrated in the second half when we were 3-0 up and Watford had the ball in our half. They were never getting anywhere with it. We defend in numbers around our box and wait for the other team to cock up. It works pretty well. When we tend to conceed it's when we're hit quickly and the midfield haven't had time to join in the siege defence.

I thought that was a very exciting and inspiring game personally. And 4-0 didn't flatter us in the least. Watford are a team in trouble, and once we get our nose ahead against a team like that our entire style of play is such that we'll punish them. And punish them hard.

Federici:- 7 Not a lot to do, covered his posts well whenever Watford shot wide and his distribution was great, best for any Reading 'keeper I've ever seen. He came and claimed well at crosses and corners to. We've got a player with great potential there IMO.

Rosenior:- 7 Did everything he had to closing down crosses, tackling and going forward. Had Kebe not been so calmost totally incapable of producing a final ball, or releasing the ball before he ran into a defender I think he'd have done even better.

Armstrong:- 7 Solid, did everything you could ask and scored.

Ingimarsson:- 7 Again, solid. Had a nice shot at some point in the second half as well.

Duberry:- 7 A few mistakes here and there, but like a brick wall in general. These two aren't right for against a counter-attacking team with pace, but Watford despite their individual speed, seemed incapable of attacking quickly enough to cause problems.

Harper:- 7 Very good game. Whenever a defender stepped up to make a challenge, or was caught out of position, we still had a back 4, because Harper had read the danger early and dropped seamlessly back into their place. Awful tackle in the second half, but keep the ball moving well when we had it, and made several good attacking passes, including the assist for Lita.

Cisse:- 7 Didn't see as much of Cisse as I did of Harper, but then I always enjoying looking out for Harps. Tackled fairly well, and bar some occasionally awful passing did fairly well. Borke forward and had a decent shot at one point too.

Kebe:- 6 Player with great potential, but almost incapable of TRYING to play a final ball, let alone succeeding. Got an assist for NHunt, but that was only really a case of penalty area pinball, and the defender got almost as much on it as Kebe, from the replay. Causes problems, but needs to stop trying to "beat man repeatedly" and just get the ball in the box.

SHunt:- 8 Worked hard and created a lot, was all over the pitch. How anyone would be happy to see him go is beyond me. Crossed for both Doyle's goal and NHunt's. Could have had at least one himself as well. Did everything you could possibly ask of him.

NHunt:- 6 Did ok. Nothing spectacular, but didn't need to. Was a little anonymous, but scored a well taken goal. 6 is probably a little harsh.

Doyle:- 10 One hell of a striker. Works unbelievable hard, can bring the ball down and control it better than any Reading striker I've ever seen, and in very little space. Tireless and is massively important to our team. Terrifys defenders and rightly so.

Long:- 6 but not far from a 5. Didn't do a lot, except be petulant and run fast.

Lita:- 6 Did nothing apart from lose the ball, and give away nothing freekicks (probably more to do with the ref). That is apart from miss with a header when noone was within at least 5 yards of him. AWFUL. Made up for it with a well taken goal. I'll give him my full support during a game. But unless that goal spurs some sort of change in him. I'm not happy he's at the club.

Gunnarsson: - 6 Came on, kept the game from changing. Did well, nothing spectacular.

Very very pleased.

Oh and well done to the Watford fans for their support. Ours was pretty poor. But frankly, I don't give a damn.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 11:48

Chilipepper, re the penalty appeal - Cross down the left early in the 2nd half, evaded Hunt/Doyle and their 'keeper, but Kebe was steaming in through the middle tried to nod it in from about 3 yards out but the defender had a little tug and he just missed it.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jan 2009 11:50

Royal Rother I'm almost tempted to watch the game again to see how Cisse can have got a few decent marks. Maybe he quietly did the easy things as midfielders need to do at times but I only really noticed poor touches and misplaced passes. :|

His touch was occasionally poor last night but he and Harper are forming a decent partnership. Between them they again shielded the two centre backs extremely well (will Doobs and Ingi ever have an easier game ?) and they both contributed in other ways when going forward. Cisse has clearly been given licence to make the box in open play while Harper holds and his run was a key part of Doyles goal. The keeper thought Cisse was going to make the header and so left the ball. If Cisse hadn't made that run then he'd have dealt with it easily. Cisse also won the ball in open play and then won the header on the edge of the box for Armstrongs goal.
As a pair they are doing all of the "easy things" that playing CM demands and there is a good balance between the two.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Jan 2009 11:53

Ian - how can you rate Doyle higher than N Hunt? Personally, I thought N Hunt had a cracker of a game. Saw more of him than Doyle... Nevermind. Opinions, and all that!

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 10 Jan 2009 11:55

Cheers RR. I thought that was a penalty too. I think there are times when you can tell players are not trying to cheat the referee. Once was then, when Noel Hunt was clearly vehemently arguing with the ref. The other was a penalty appeal for them in the second half also, where about 6 of their players all appealed strongly too. So, it evened out maybe? :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 11:56

Ultimately all the effective stuff came from us and Cisse and Harper obviously played their part in that but at times we looked out-numbered in midfield.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 11:58

chilipepper91 Cheers RR. I thought that was a penalty too. I think there are times when you can tell players are not trying to cheat the referee. Once was then, when Noel Hunt was clearly vehemently arguing with the ref. The other was a penalty appeal for them in the second half also, where about 6 of their players all appealed strongly too. So, it evened out maybe? :wink:

Their appeal was for handball against Cisse - it did hit his hand, which was raised about shoulder height but was not his leading hand (if that makes sense) and the ref was right to turn it down, even though Don Goodman said he wouldn't have been surprised to see it given.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jan 2009 12:04

Royal Rother Ultimately all the effective stuff came from us and Cisse and Harper obviously played their part in that but at times we looked out-numbered in midfield.

We WERE outnumbered :) . They played 4-5-1 meaning 3 versus 2 in central areas. It was also interesting to note that they switched to 4-4-2 to chase the game in the 65th minute and we then scored 3 goals in the last 25 minutes. In fact, we've pretty much hammered any side that has played 4-4-2 against us including Wolves and Brum.
Part of the reason we've conceded so few goals is that sides are going to find it hard to create chances with only one up front. At the same time, 4-5-1 is difficult to break down hence our perceived dip in form in recent weeks.
I'll be very interested to see if Wolves stick to 4-4-2 against us in a couple of weeks.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Jan 2009 12:09

Efficient and ruthless. We let them use their extra man in midfield because we were confident in our defense. We never looked troubled, we created chances and took them. What more can you ask for? It's not how much you have of the ball, it's how you use it. I thought Kebe was off colour today but you very rarely get a performance where everybody is perfect.

Doyle is now only 1 goal off his 18 goal haul in 05/06. He's a class above this league.

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 10 Jan 2009 12:11

Personally think Kevin Doyle has reached a new level this season- not only are the goals back, but his all-round contribution is just top class. Even when he has a slightly quieter game like last night, he still does things that make you sit back and say, 'that was brilliant'. Just hope we can keep our best player for the rest of the season at the very least.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 12:20

Oooo Brum's game at Blackpool has been called off.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Jan 2009 12:25

Good. more fixture congestion, players haven't played for a while now.
Nice draw against Cardiff and it'll be ok.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 12:26

readingbedding Good. more fixture congestion, players haven't played for a while now.
Nice draw against Cardiff and it'll be ok.

Brum are under even more pressure now!

ScottishRoyal

Re: Back from the game...

by ScottishRoyal » 10 Jan 2009 12:27

SteveRoyal Lita: 6 - Well taken goal, looked completely focussed to get a goal when he came on. Change of attitude, perhaps?

I'm sorry but I really take issue which these ill informed comments. A few friend of a friend bits of information and people get carried away. Yes Leroys been in trouble off the pitch a few times but it's also been highighted that a lot of this trouble can be attributed to his 'friends'. Read any Coppell, Dillon or Downes comments on Leroy over the last 12 months and they all are keen to stress how good his attitude has been. Give the guy a break.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Jan 2009 12:32

Pool and Darts
FiNeRaIn
Pool and Darts
By the way.....
This was meant to be tongue in cheek.........

Ah thanks for clearing that up for us, I thought you were being serious.

You have to make it clear on HNA.

Satire is wasted on this lot.

Yes mate.
Step up the king of satire calling another fan a pr**k.
Can't wait for more but then again it might be wasted on us lot. :?

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 10 Jan 2009 12:37

FiNeRaIn Goal of the season from so far,one touch, beautiful strike past the keeper, only leroy could score a goal so good. Lita is the best player at the club IMO.

Good to see him score but that's over the top. Not even the best goal of the game imo.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 12:43

He's just on a wind up. Best ignored.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 10 Jan 2009 12:46

I owe you an apology Vic Meldrew.

Sorry old chap for my little outburst. It was uncalled for. I was a little bit excited! So I shall go and remove it.

Can we make up?

206 posts