Back from Swansea game

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from Swansea game

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2009 12:07

AlexY25 Marek - 6 - Did fine, but no need to bring him on when we needed a goal.

Except that the one thing that he does bring the team is that "he's our best passer of the ball" - he certainly can't tackle, so that''s all he's got. Yesterday he couldn't even do that effectively - for instance when Lita was breaking down the left and all that Marek had to do was get the ball in front of him - instead he played it straight to the full-back!

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 18 Jan 2009 13:37

We were absolutely terrible today. I don't think we strung 3 passes together all game, it was just hoof and hope, Doyle must have been so pissed off the amount of endless hoofed balls he chased down. Swansea completely outplayed us by just simply passing it around. Kebe was terrible, worst I have ever seen him, how he stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Then again we had no wingers on the bench!

Fed - 7

Rosenior- 4
Ivar - 5
Doobs - 6
Armstrong - 6

Kebe - 3
Shunt – 5 (only because of that quality tackle that denied them an almost certain goal)
Harps - 5
Cisse - 5

Nhunt - 5
Doyle – 6

Subs -
Marek - 6
Lita - 5
Boris – 5

On the atmosphere front etc, 800 is a piss poor amount for a club like us going to somewhere as easy as Swansea. I don’t think one song was sang properly all game (I know it makes little difference to players performance but a good atmosphere certainly makes a shite game like yesterdays a lot more fun!)
The liberty stadium itself does deserve a mention, I was expecting another soulless bowl but the Swansea fans were very good. The Stewards were excellent! As I went in I had a chat with one of them and he said if I wanted to stand just move up to the back. Stood for 90 minutes without any trouble. Then as soon as we get out of the stadium there was a bus waiting for Reading fans only straight back to town, there was even our own private road! Top stuff!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Jan 2009 14:23

LoyalRoyalFan Just seen the goals on the Championship. The defending for the second Swansea goal was terrible.
Bikey should come in for the Wolves game.

Wow - talk about a out of context post. Chasing an equaliser and down to 10 men with a few minutes to go. Any mistake is going to be severley punished - especially by a good passing team like Swansea.

Loving the over the top reaction to our first defeat in the league since November. If we could play to the best of our ability every game we wouldn't be in the bloody championship in the first place.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jan 2009 14:32

Yes but it's not the first time Ingimarsson's been done this season is it?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Jan 2009 14:35

Showing the passion for such a loss is not always over the top though. The reality is the frustration shown at conceding to a solid team who we should have known will play out of their skins and prove a point to us. A solid passing team such as Swansea should have been counteracted solidly. WE should have the experience to deal with such a team as we have come up against teams this season who do exactly that. The pace and snap passing in midfield from the Swans should and could have been closed down. As we couldn't dominate the midfield and allow passing down the channels, with balls going constantly awry, we allowed Swansea to take the game to us in the hope of absorbing the pressure. This clearly doesn't always work and we should have adjusted to this after the break.
As a result of this our players were tracking back out of position which left little option up front.
With the other results coming in yesterday would have been a prime opportunity to take advantage of other teams slipping up.
Agreed it's not the end of the world - WE ARE STILL SECOND in the league. A far better position that will no doubt be an envious position to be in IF we remain where we are.
The greatest worry for this club is the hint of failure which could comprehensively set this club back a number of years.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Jan 2009 15:12

LoyalRoyalFan Bikey should come in for the Wolves game.

Why would Bikey come back in :|

Gunnarsson will start at right back and we'll face the league leaders with one of the slowest back fours in the Championship :|

We've only really looked convincing since Bikey was suspended when we faced 4-4-2 Brum.

How can our full backs bomb forward with Ingimarrson and Dubury in the centre? How can we play with a man short in midfield with a central defence that is probably slower than a lot of posters on here :|

I didn't go yesterday but it's high time Coppell either, showed some faith in Bikey or, signed at least one centre half with the kind of pace that is so vital to the way we play, not to mention being an absolute necessity for any team wishing to stand the slightest chance of survival in the Prem.

As ever, I take no serious issue with Doobs and Ingimarrson as individuals but their combined lack of pace is, IMHO, at the heart of our currently less than convincing displays.

I hope this will not turn out to be the 2nd season on the spin where Coppell's distrust of Bikey and over reliance on favourites costs us very dearly indeed.

working class hero

by working class hero » 18 Jan 2009 16:16

If we could play to the best of our ability every game we wouldn't be in the bloody championship in the first place.

And if we played as we did at Swansea every game we still wouldn't be in the Championship.

Frankly we are a bit flattered by our position. I think we were lucky to win at Barnsley, lucky to get a point at Cardiff, luckt to get a pint at Soton, indeed we have been lucky on a number of other occasions. I like luck and will accept it every time. However, lucky streaks do end and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us only picking up only 3 to 5 points out of the next 12. I hope I am wrong but unless something dramatic changes I do fear for our position even in the top 6.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 18 Jan 2009 16:23

This was a bleak day. the team outplayed, Coppell outcoached, supporters outsung, a drenching back to the station and crap pubs.
I came away with the perverse appreciation of the opposition, who played some wonderful attacking football. Keep an eye on this Martinez, a very progressive manager. His team showed, along with Southampton, that in these post Sidwell days,if you can outnumber Harper and Cisse and pass the ball around them in midfield, we are toast.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2009 16:25

Negative_Jeff ...... His team showed, along with Southampton, that in these post Sidwell days,if you can outnumber Harper and Cisse and pass the ball around them in midfield, we are toast.

Ssssh - other managers might be reading this!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Jan 2009 16:29

Negative_Jeff His team showed, along with Southampton, that in these post Sidwell days,if you can outnumber Harper and Cisse and pass the ball around them in midfield, we are toast.

That's riht Jeff. That worked a treat when Brendan Rodgers did this. What was the score against Watford?

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 18 Jan 2009 16:39

Royal With Cheese
Negative_Jeff His team showed, along with Southampton, that in these post Sidwell days,if you can outnumber Harper and Cisse and pass the ball around them in midfield, we are toast.

That's riht Jeff. That worked a treat when Brendan Rodgers did this. What was the score against Watford?

4-0 flattered us. Three of those goals were scored when Watford changed the system and went chasing the game.... and not very well at that.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Jan 2009 16:42

Royal With Cheese

Ah, the joy of the internet message board; where someone in Belfast can belittle the views of someone who actually attends the matches. Long live Hob Nob.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 18 Jan 2009 16:53

Another inept Reading performance I am not sure if this was worse than the Saints defeat at home but it runs it close.

The midfield throughout was totally outplayed by a Swansea side who moved the ball from wing to wing with the greatest of ease.

We need to freshen up the side and the sooner we sign one or two players to put pressure on those who Coppell continues to select the better.

Kebe has had is chance he cannot deliver an end product other than kick the ball too far, fall over it or leave it behind even when the closet defender to him is 2 - 3 yards away

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Jan 2009 16:55

floyd__streete
Royal With Cheese

Ah, the joy of the internet message board; where someone in Belfast can belittle the views of someone who actually attends the matches. Long live Hob Nob.

That's fine by me Floyd. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on an internet forum. I now know that's the case. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oh, BTW, is it OK for me to have an opinion of the Wolves game as I'm actually going to that? Please be sure to let me know. A PM will suffice. :roll:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 18 Jan 2009 16:59

Royal With Cheese That's fine by me Floyd. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on an internet forum. I now know that's the case.

I don't think he ever said you weren't allowed an opinion :roll:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Jan 2009 17:02

What wrong with RWC having an opinion even if he didn't attend the game. Elitism doesn't sit so well on this board. There are many who do not attend all games. If everyone was in total agreement on this board it would be a tad boring.
Everyone naturally can have an opinion. That's what HNA is about. :shock:
Were all laymen here. On the outside looking in. Blimey. Coppell probably laughs his bollox off on here after reading all we offer.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Jan 2009 17:10

handbags_harris
Royal With Cheese That's fine by me Floyd. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on an internet forum. I now know that's the case.

I don't think he ever said you weren't allowed an opinion :roll:

That's my take on his post. It's not the first time he's said it and it probably won't be the last.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Jan 2009 18:01

Toon Toon Blue army ... Then as soon as we get out of the stadium there was a bus waiting for Reading fans only straight back to town, there was even our own private road! Top stuff!

When the gate wouldn't open for the car in front, someone got off our bus to hold the gates open. The bus then drove straight past him and left him there!

Did he get picked up on the bus behind?

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 18 Jan 2009 18:25

working class hero
lucky to get a point at Cardiff...

Umm, we were unlucky not to win against Cardiff, had the lions share of chances especially in the second half, at home, however, we deserved a point at best.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Jan 2009 19:05

Woodcote Royal
LoyalRoyalFan Bikey should come in for the Wolves game.

Why would Bikey come back in :|

Gunnarsson will start at right back and we'll face the league leaders with one of the slowest back fours in the Championship :|

We've only really looked convincing since Bikey was suspended when we faced 4-4-2 Brum.

How can our full backs bomb forward with Ingimarrson and Dubury in the centre? How can we play with a man short in midfield with a central defence that is probably slower than a lot of posters on here :|

I didn't go yesterday but it's high time Coppell either, showed some faith in Bikey or, signed at least one centre half with the kind of pace that is so vital to the way we play, not to mention being an absolute necessity for any team wishing to stand the slightest chance of survival in the Prem.

As ever, I take no serious issue with Doobs and Ingimarrson as individuals but their combined lack of pace is, IMHO, at the heart of our currently less than convincing displays.

I hope this will not turn out to be the 2nd season on the spin where Coppell's distrust of Bikey and over reliance on favourites costs us very dearly indeed.

Yes it does seem Coppell doesn't have a great deal of faith in Bikey. Is he fit now? If he is then he should start against Wolves but I doubt he will.