Back from the game Burnley

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game Burnley

by Maguire » 10 May 2009 01:35

floyd__streete Sh*tting hell, we've actually done superbly well to lose that. Totally dominated the game, chances galore, Hahnemann a mere spectator. And we lose. Without scoring. Nice work. Same old RFC play-off disaster; they never cease to find new ways in which to disappoint.

Fair play to the midfield trio; Tabb's best game for us, Gunnarsson was excellent as was Marek. Sadly the final ball was lacking as per. Kebe's failure to roll the ball across the box to an unmarked Kitson will probably end up costing us. Serious lack of technique from Kebe when it comes to the crunch.

Burnley fans; I don't normally care enough about the opposition to comment, but my 4th visit to Turf Moor, your biggest game in more than 30 years and not a peep out of you until the penalty. Then bucketloads of billy big-b*llocks attitude afterwards. Didn't hear much out of you coming out the ground when we spanked you 5-2 and 3-0 on previous visits. Always the same up north; a chip on the shoulder? More like the entire stock of Harry Ramsdens. I'd love for you to pay for your premature and pathetic goading celebrations afterwards.....sadly with this team we haven't really got a prayer of having the last laugh really.

Totally agree.

Should never have lost that and as far as their fans go, it's funny how one trip to a club you don't really care about can suddenly make you want to see them smashed out of sight.

Doyle going off was a blow as he was playing better than i've seen him in a long time. Harding was superb and didn't let Eagles get in the game at all. Duberry and Bikey were absolute rocks in the middle until the incident of which I shall not speak. The crossing a general final ball is still utter gash though.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 10 May 2009 02:21

Thought we looked alright when we went to five in midfield. Thumbs up to the central midfield today.

We swapped ends at the start so the lowering sun would be right in Jensen's during the 2nd half but was dissapointed that we didn't test him enough.

Yet again i was not impressed by Burnley for the third time this season and still think we're good enough to turn the tie round.

Never been out of a town so quickly as today after the final whistle has gone, to my surprise we were back on the motorway inside ten minutes and was home by 10.30.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 10 May 2009 02:23

I couldn't see.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 May 2009 02:36

SouthDownsRoyal Be Positive 8)

I am positive we will not go through........... :o

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 10 May 2009 07:25

Thought the midfield of Marek, Tabb and Boris looked a step up from the dross served up over the past four months.

Duberry and Bikey were committed - and the latter certainly should be. Both of them guilty of too much fannying around when a simple hoof would have done.

Shane worked his nuts off but MoM by a mile was Harding. Top job on Eagles.

Marcus did not have a save to make all match. 'Nuff said.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 10 May 2009 08:34

Armadillo Roadkill Never seen so many police in all my life.

And that was just the M40.

Another game we somehow lost, through our terrible final balls and giving away soft goals. Although we are better than this lot, it doesnt exactly give you much confidence that we will turn this around in the second leg. But it was a rather good performance. Stand out player must be Doyle, who really does look quality in some games, but a mention to Tabb who seemed to be everywhere.

Less said about Kebe the better.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 10 May 2009 08:50

Twelve hours to get back from that God forsaken place and I feel no better now. I literally done my nut at the end.
Here`s a view without a dozen poxy Sky camera angles; theirs wasn`t a penalty, the one on Long was and Blake fouled Bikey.
The team played really well today and fair play to Coppell who deployed three up front from the start. Burnley showed us too much respect and never posed a threat. The sad end to the game could well affect the mood for Tuesday, an early goal for Burnley would finish us off.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 May 2009 09:36

Negative_Jeff Twelve hours to get back from that God forsaken place and I feel no better now. I literally done my nut at the end.
Here`s a view without a dozen poxy Sky camera angles; theirs wasn`t a penalty, the one on Long was and Blake fouled Bikey.
The team played really well today and fair play to Coppell who deployed three up front from the start. Burnley showed us too much respect and never posed a threat. The sad end to the game could well affect the mood for Tuesday, an early goal for Burnley would finish us off.

When I was watching on TV, I did think how furious I would have been if I had been at the game and had to travel home afterwards: 'we were robbed' and 'it wasn't a penalty' for 12 hours! I feel for you.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 10 May 2009 09:42

Spoke to Tabb in Knutsford services and he said "we'll win on tuesday, dont you worry about that"

Lets hope he/coppell knows something we dont.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 May 2009 10:09

RobRoyal
royalexile Once again undone by an act of total stupidity by Bikey.

Sorry, how?

Did we lose the game because Bikey lost his rag? No. We lost the game because Bikey took a handful of Thompson's shirt having got the wrong side of him, in an action that will be seen 10 times around the country every weekend. It was poor defending. The act of total stupidity that followed has done "undone" us - it means that we'll have to win promotion playing a young centre-back who plenty of nobbers would want in the team anyway.

No we won't. This is the time for Super Cisse!!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 10 May 2009 10:56

willz_royal Spoke to Tabb in Knutsford services and he said "we'll win on tuesday, dont you worry about that"

Knutsford was where it was at.. its cos you leave Burnley aiming to get as far south as possible before stopping, but the bladder just cant handle it anymore.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 May 2009 11:01

I thought Coppell got it tactically spot on today.

Marcus - 7
Rosenior -7
Harding- 8
Bikey - 8(before sending off and penalty)
Duberry- 7
Kebe- 5
Doyle -7
Tabb- 8
Gunnarsson- 7
Matejovskiy- 7
Long- 7

Kitson- 5
Cisse- n/a

I thought Kebe and Kitson were awful. Tabb had another really good game

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 10 May 2009 11:09

Tabb was amazing.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 10 May 2009 11:26

Dick Habbin's hairdo Thought the midfield of Marek, Tabb and Boris looked a step up from the dross served up over the past four months.

Duberry and Bikey were committed - and the latter certainly should be. Both of them guilty of too much fannying around when a simple hoof would have done.

Shane worked his nuts off but MoM by a mile was Harding. Top job on Eagles.

Marcus did not have a save to make all match. 'Nuff said.

A simple hoof?! Mate we've been watching hoofball for the last 3 months it was a pleasure to watch the 2 centre halves play sum quality football, just a shame bout Bikey. I can't see us getting this tie back. But was happy with our support yday we were quality, esp at end!

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 10 May 2009 11:36

so did we play 4 5 1 with Kebe and Doyle high wingers? and why didn't Karacan start, personally i reckon he's been doing well in that midfield role..

dantheloyalroyal

by dantheloyalroyal » 10 May 2009 11:46

Kevin Doyles Right Foot so did we play 4 5 1 with Kebe and Doyle high wingers?
Yes. When Doyle went off, Coppell seemed to just tell Long to play out there, instead of reverting to 4-4-2. One again we didn't seem to have nearly enough players in the box and it almost felt as though Coppell was playing for the draw. "Stick five in midfield and if we nick a goal, so be it."

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 10 May 2009 11:55

willz_royal Spoke to Tabb in Knutsford services and he said "we'll win on tuesday, dont you worry about that"

Tabb is fast becoming a bit of a star. He reminds me very much of Ray Houghton. Fingers crossed we have found a genuine Sidwell-esque player at last.

Next season, in a team shorn of this year's deadwood, egos and non-footballers, we may actually have found a genuine leader.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 May 2009 12:09

savage 4 england
Ian Royal
Wizard Should we have had a penalty for a challenge on Shane Long when the ball was coming into the box?
I thought so. He tried to turn to chase the ball and was tripped. But I haven't seen any replays. He was sure remonstrating with the referee a couple of moments later when Marek got booked, so he obviously thought it was a penalty.

Burnley player fell over and took him out by accident. Could have been given, but would have been very very harsh IMO

I know it may be harsh on the player, but the ball was coming into the box and prevented a goalscoring chance.

Ask Sonko, in our first PL away at Villa, whether intent is important, or if merely slipping over and taking a player out is enough to give away a penalty and be sent-off?

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 10 May 2009 12:54

Firstly I have to say well done to the fans yesterday, we kept singing all the way through. And actually thanks to the stewards, unreserved seating allowed me to move from my seat, which was right behind a support beam.

I thought we'd done enough to at least draw the game, we didn't deserve to lose. But unfortunately, two lapses of discipline cost us. We were looking solid at the back until that moment. My player ratings:

USA - 6, had little to do, but his composure in doing the necessary things was spot on.
Rosenior - 7, made some good tackles today, one of his better defensive performances.
Doobs - 7, did what he had to do. Solid.
Bikey - 5 (was a 7 until that last 5 mins) enough said
Harding - 8, Eagles was in his pocket, gave nothing away. My MOTM
Gunnarson - 7 did his job well, won the ball, even saw him run yesterday
Tabb- 8, the lad's awesome, never backs out of a tackle
Marek - 7, made some intelligent passes, looked threatening
Kebe - 5, it still amazes me how a player can beat 3 of the opposition team, and then bugger it up
Long - 7, worked tirelessly, just didn't get any chances
Doyle - 6, not on long enough to really have a complete impact on the game, surely would have scored and possibly even MOTM had he stayed on.

Subs
Kitson 6 - Came out to the wing too often, leaving no-one in the box, frustrating.
Cisse - Not on long enough to make an impact

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 10 May 2009 13:23

My scores would be:

USA: 7. Not much to do. Did well to go and get Bikey when he was losing his head. Brave. I wouldn't have gone near him!
Liam: 6. I thought he had won of his weaker game. Passing was wayward and there were several poor crosses.
Harding: 9. Immense! Great game defensively against Eagles and some nice bursts forward.
Dubes: 7. Solid, won everything in the air. A few heart in mouth moments when he tried chesting the ball and bringing it out of defence!!
Bikey: 8. (before Pen/red card). I thought for 80 something minutes he had a very good game. Looked very comfortable on the ball. A couple of Burnley fans I spoke to really rate him and thinks he looked great each time he's played up there.
Kebe: 5. FRUSTRATING! Still, he doesn't deserve the abuse and boos he got from people like the idiots sat behind me. I'm sure his confidence must be shot from the crowds reaction to him. I'd rather have him in the team than Shunt. At least he beats his man and draws defenders as they are scared of his pace. Surely, sooner or later, he will get a final ball right?!
Marek: 7. Usual thing, some nice passes and touches. Should have passed and not shot in thr first half!
Tabb: 9. Great game, covered every blade of grass, comfortable on the ball and bite in the tackle.
Bryn: 7. Did his thing well - won tackles and kept his passing simple.
Long: 6. Ran his socks off but nothing really fell his way. Struggled when moved position after Doyle went off.
Doyle: 7. Looked lively until his injury. Hope it doesn't prove a turning point like Forster's injury in the play offs against Wolves.

The Burnley fans were irritating (although those I spoke to after the game were pleasant enough). They were motionless throughout the game until they scored, then all of sudden everyone was dancing and singing! I thought our support was very good, especially at the end!