The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

adamh4608

Re: The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

by adamh4608 » 18 Oct 2009 17:54

Royalee You really think Coppell would have turned last season around? We'd been on a downward spiral far before Rodgers took over.

yes I do if he had stayed . I think we have an inexperienced manager and an inexperienced team they don’t know what they are doing it like the blind leading the blind

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Oct 2009 17:56

The thing with Rodgers is I actually think there was progress being made early on, but he's ditched the likes of Davies, Robson-Kanu and more recently Sigurdsson and gone against everything he said he was going to do early doors. This is what makes it all so disappointing as he's gone back into doing exactly what we did last year.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Oct 2009 17:57

adamh4608
Royalee You really think Coppell would have turned last season around? We'd been on a downward spiral far before Rodgers took over.

yes I do if he had stayed . I think we have an inexperienced manager and an inexperienced team they don’t know what they are doing it like the blind leading the blind

You think the guy who admitted himself he didn't know why we weren't scoring goals with our midfield being so shit with Doyle up top would have turned it around with a history of not being able to stop the rot? More fool you.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 18 Oct 2009 17:59

with an inexperienced team, you need an experienced manager, to lead, and bring the best out. i think we should get rid of rodgers and get someone in with experience other wise its down we go.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Oct 2009 18:00

Royalee The thing with Rodgers is I actually think there was progress being made early on, but he's ditched the likes of Davies, Robson-Kanu and more recently Sigurdsson and gone against everything he said he was going to do early doors. This is what makes it all so disappointing as he's gone back into doing exactly what we did last year.

Disappointed he hasn't given Davies more of a go as he was a bright spot early doors.

I'm wondering if his recent team selections have been all names in a hat and then just the first 11 out? Seriously God knows whose playing Tuesday!!

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 18 Oct 2009 18:02

Royalee The thing with Rodgers is I actually think there was progress being made early on, but he's ditched the likes of Davies, Robson-Kanu and more recently Sigurdsson and gone against everything he said he was going to do early doors. This is what makes it all so disappointing as he's gone back into doing exactly what we did last year.

i dont think youve been watching the same team as we all have been. will you be saying the same when we go down

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Oct 2009 18:04

adamh4608 with an inexperienced team, you need an experienced manager, to lead, and bring the best out. i think we should get rid of rodgers and get someone in with experience other wise its down we go.

I'm inclined to agree with that if Rodgers doesn't sort this out in the next couple of games, but not Coppell.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 18 Oct 2009 18:09

but with inferior players.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Oct 2009 18:10

turning on him already royalee?

but what about all that crap you were coming out with before?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 18 Oct 2009 18:12

Alan Partridge

Downright plunge now though.

Not advocating Coppell's return, his time had come for him to move on and for Reading to mve on. Rodgers has just signed a load of shit and been mince. I really think Rodger sonly has a few games left before he totally loses the fans, I think everyone expected a slgihtly tougher time this season but to be where we are is still unacceptable. Not usually one for a real knee jerk but I wouldn't be sad to see Rodgers go at all. Someone with a bit of experience to come in, get the instant respect of the players and simplify things. Make Reading tougher to break down and maybe grind out a couple of scrappy wins.

Rodgers is being to extravagant with his selections and tactics and he simply doesn't have the players to do it. By the time he finally figures that out it'll probably be too late. 4 more matches, if Reading haven't got 6/7 points, then it should be thanks for trying BRendan but CYA.

Amen to all the above. Spot on analysis IMO, especially the bold bits.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 18 Oct 2009 18:15

Royalee
adamh4608

You think the guy who admitted himself he didn't know why we weren't scoring goals with our midfield being so shit with Doyle up top would have turned it around with a history of not being able to stop the rot? More fool you.

I think we would have been doing better with Coppell, however he would also have had to sell all the players that left, the broom swept clean, and only now does Mr Madejski hopefully realise that mistakes were made.

we have taken a big fall backwards, and twice now we have sold the family silver and gold and gone backwards.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Oct 2009 18:18

adamh4608

i dont think youve been watching the same team as we all have been. will you be saying the same when we go down

I'm watching the same team that were shit for the last 6 months of last season, yes.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Oct 2009 18:19

Harpers So Solid Crew

I think we would have been doing better with Coppell, however he would also have had to sell all the players that left, the broom swept clean, and only now does Mr Madejski hopefully realise that mistakes were made.

we have taken a big fall backwards, and twice now we have sold the family silver and gold and gone backwards.

It would have been interesting to see if we'd been where we were last Christmas without the likes of Doyle carrying the team.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Oct 2009 18:20

brendywendy turning on him already royalee?

I'm not asking for him to be sacked yet, but he appears to be backtracking on what he set out to do, which I for one did not see coming and had I done I'm not sure I'd have wanted Rodgers here.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Oct 2009 18:30

Royalee
brendywendy turning on him already royalee?

I'm not asking for him to be sacked yet, but he appears to be backtracking on what he set out to do, which I for one did not see coming and had I done I'm not sure I'd have wanted Rodgers here.

aaahhhhhh :roll:

with friends like you ...etc

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 18 Oct 2009 18:32

Royalee
Harpers So Solid Crew

It would have been interesting to see if we'd been where we were last Christmas without the likes of Doyle carrying the team.

Teams that are relegated from The Prem that have to sell a lot of the star names tend to struggle, things now seem to be stabilising, and rlegated teams do not seem to have that many stars wanted by teams in the prem, ot does appear that we took a gamble and paid higher wages to keep the like sof Doyle and hunt, was it a mistake, who really knows, what we do know is that it did not work.

Neither doyle or hunt or any of those that left are really top class players making a real difference to the teams they moved to, what they are doing is making a better living than we could afford, what's the answer, is there even one?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Oct 2009 19:12

This thread will be commented on periodically - all of us knew (deep down for some) that we never had it so good, and maybe never have it so good again.
Perhaps we've settled back into normality and I guess it will take another fantastic manager and a more adventurous Board to see success like that again.

Oh well.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Oct 2009 19:15

Like I said almost monthly on HNA since Coppell joined, the moment he leaves we'll fall apart.

Enjoy.

Rax

by Rax » 18 Oct 2009 19:19

Three magic words - bring him back!

A rejuvenated Coppell after his little rest would sort this mess out for sure!

Rodgers, please go, NOW!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Oct 2009 19:22

No to Coppell, he never proved to us that he could arrest sliding form.