Reading 4 Plymouth 3

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reading 4 Plymouth 3

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2015 11:17

Is there any video available of the game at all anywhere, presumably TVS (at the time) would have held the highlights?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Dec 2015 11:59

Sutekh Is there any video available of the game at all anywhere, presumably TVS (at the time) would have held the highlights?

I very much doubt any footage exists.

There was a bit of a black hole in tv coverage for the 1st half of this season due to some industrial dispute. There is a Royals Gems 84-86, but if its not on that I would be pretty sure that the match just wasn't filmed.

Might be for the best. Memories are often better than the reality.

Edit. Confirmed here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%8 ... h_football

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Dec 2015 11:56

Tony Le Mesmer
Sutekh Is there any video available of the game at all anywhere, presumably TVS (at the time) would have held the highlights?

There was a bit of a black hole in tv coverage for the 1st half of this season due to some industrial dispute. There is a Royals Gems 84-86, but if its not on that I would be pretty sure that the match just wasn't filmed.

Edit. Confirmed here

The match was filmed for sure.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2015 13:19

Gordons Cumming
Tony Le Mesmer

Edit. Confirmed here

The match was filmed for sure.

Well then, just need to find out who by and where the footage went....

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Dec 2015 14:46

Good luck.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 24 Dec 2015 16:09

We've been to the ends of the earth looking for this footage. It doesn't exist; if it did someone would have shown it by now.

The best lead we ever had was Trevor Senior's dad who videoed a number of games back then for personal use. Reading FC being Reading FC, he wasn't allowed to do this at Elm Park. There is some very moody footage from the cup game at Barry filmed from a variety of viewpoints (I wonder why!) I've seen but not, I'm afraid, the 4-3.

As a previous poster said best left to the memory, like the Robin Friday goal. Still remains the best 15 minutes I've ever spent in a football ground.

GC - I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Dec 2015 22:25

STAR Liaison We've been to the ends of the earth looking for this footage. It doesn't exist; if it did someone would have shown it by now.

The best lead we ever had was Trevor Senior's dad who videoed a number of games back then for personal use. Reading FC being Reading FC, he wasn't allowed to do this at Elm Park. There is some very moody footage from the cup game at Barry filmed from a variety of viewpoints (I wonder why!) I've seen but not, I'm afraid, the 4-3.

As a previous poster said best left to the memory, like the Robin Friday goal. Still remains the best 15 minutes I've ever spent in a football ground.

GC - I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

I was at the game and I'm sure I saw it on TV too.

Maybe I dreamt it. :shock:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Dec 2015 08:42

That was probably the best example of how Mad Max bullied the opposition.

Once we'd got one, Plymouth looked so shellshocked they fell apart - and KB was at his best when he smelled fear.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Dec 2015 11:08

I always thought that Kevin Bremner looked a bit like Roger Daltrey of The Who.
These were his best moments for the club IMHO and not every player has a place in a club's folklore but for this game he has.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 25 Dec 2015 14:10

The match would not have recorded. As has been stated on here, there was a dispute involving all the clubs and all TV stations. Even when we broke the record, the TV reporter had to do his report from outside the ground, as cameras were not allowed into any ground So unless a supporter inside the ground took a cine film, (which I doubt the club would have allowed) nothing will exist of the record breaking run. Even Manchester United, who were also in the running to break the record, but fell short by about one or two games, did not get any coverage on TV until the dispute was resolved around Christmas time!