Post-match protests and Facebook groups, etc

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Post-match protests and Facebook groups, etc

by brighton_royal » 29 Dec 2009 09:50

I'm pleased that we've been lucky enough to have a chairman who has, on the whole, made more good decisions than bad and who seems to be doing his best to make sure that the club doesn't go bust and disappear altogether.

We're going through a bad patch. We just need a bit of luck with people who are brought to the club actually performing the way it was hoped that they would.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Dec 2009 09:52

floyd__streete JOHN MADEJSKI AND HIS BOARD HAVE MESSED US ABOUT TOO LONG TAKING THIS CLUB FROM THE PREMIER LEAGUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF LEAGUE ONE.

Here lies the problem with all the major beefers around at the moment

LOLz

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Dec 2009 10:37

Dirk Gently Anyone thinking these are likely to be a good idea clearly knows nothing about SJM, his attitudes or the way he operates.

As a "self-made" millionaire, and holder of 99%+ of RFC shares, he will not be told what to do - in fact, what he regards as a bunch of raggy-arsed fans protesting at him is likely to make him dig his heels in and do exactly the opposite to what you want.

Just thought you ought to know - before you try and influence something or someone, you need to understand it/them first.

Dirk, your assessment of Madejski is no doubt correct. However, you overlook the fact that such personality traits are by no means unique amongst football club chairmen, although the ego is truly premier class!

Strong willed/strong minded/arrogant/dictatorial chairmen have been driven from clubs by fan power in the past, so it is by no means impossible. There is a limit to how much McGhee/Pardew type treatment any individual can take.

So:

F*ck off Madejski
You're so f*cking mean
You're a cloth cutting b*stard
With a sh*t football team.

Go John Madejski,
You've got to go John Madejski
Go John Madejski

brighton_royal I'm pleased that we've been lucky enough to have a chairman who has, on the whole, made more good decisions than bad and who seems to be doing his best to make sure that the club doesn't go bust and disappear altogether.

We're going through a bad patch. We just need a bit of luck with people who are brought to the club actually performing the way it was hoped that they would.

And whilst we're talking of miracles, perhaps Compass can turn a few loaves and fishes into food and wine to feed the whole stadium free of charge.

'Perform the way it was hoped they would' - these were cut price/young/inexperienced replacements more suited to performing in League One than The Championship. They are performing exactly as might realistically have been expected.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 29 Dec 2009 11:01

And our championship winning squad cost how much to put together?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Dec 2009 11:02

RoyalBlue
Dirk Gently Anyone thinking these are likely to be a good idea clearly knows nothing about SJM, his attitudes or the way he operates.

As a "self-made" millionaire, and holder of 99%+ of RFC shares, he will not be told what to do - in fact, what he regards as a bunch of raggy-arsed fans protesting at him is likely to make him dig his heels in and do exactly the opposite to what you want.

Just thought you ought to know - before you try and influence something or someone, you need to understand it/them first.

Dirk, your assessment of Madejski is no doubt correct. However, you overlook the fact that such personality traits are by no means unique amongst football club chairmen, although the ego is truly premier class!

Strong willed/strong minded/arrogant/dictatorial chairmen have been driven from clubs by fan power in the past, so it is by no means impossible. There is a limit to how much McGhee/Pardew type treatment any individual can take.

So:

F*ck off Madejski
You're so f*cking mean
You're a cloth cutting b*stard
With a sh*t football team.

Go John Madejski,
Go John Madejski

brighton_royal I'm pleased that we've been lucky enough to have a chairman who has, on the whole, made more good decisions than bad and who seems to be doing his best to make sure that the club doesn't go bust and disappear altogether.

And whilst we're talking of miracles, perhaps Compass can turn a few loaves and fishes into food and wine to feed the whole stadium free of charge.

'Perform the way it was hoped they would' - these were cut price/young/inexperienced replacements more suited to performing in League One than The Championship. They are performing exactly as might realistically have been expected.

But what would getting rif of SJM actually acheive, what tangible reward would we gain from it?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Dec 2009 11:05

To Royal Blue and others who clearly know nothing about business.

Where exactly do you want Sir john to go? He owns 99% of the shares so it is HIS business. The choices open to him are to stay on - to lose interest and appoint someone else to run the club for him or to sell.

He wants to sell but there are no buyers. If he goes for option 2 he will lose all interest in the club and we will almost certainly sink without trace - so you had better pray he stays and that he invests more money to increase his chances of selling. That is the only hope now. I doubt he will want so much now as he could not get his price before.

But be careful what you wish for because he may now be willing to sell to someone who is not very rich but can at least afford to pay something for the club - then we may well go down the slippery slope that has been followed by so many clubs before.

Sadly I fear we have seen the best days at RFC and I doubt we will ever now see the PL again. At least I will treasure the memory of beating Liverpool at the Madstad - and stranger things have happened that a bottom Championship club beating a top PL club in the cup - so let's look forward to Saturday.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Dec 2009 11:08

RoyalBlue

Strong willed/strong minded/arrogant/dictatorial chairmen have been driven from clubs by fan power in the past, so it is by no means impossible. There is a limit to how much McGhee/Pardew type treatment any individual can take.......

Maybe, but this sounds, in so many ways, just like Bush and the invasion of Iraq - you want regime change, but no-one has thought a millisecond past what happens when/if the leader is toppled.

What then? What will you replace him with - as if you have any choice in that? Will that necessarily help the club - or the team?

Unless you can guarantee me a better alternative I'm not with you because I think this could do far more harm than good - how can you be sure that the devil you don't know is better than the devil you do?

PS - I said 13 days ago that I hoped all those who'd been shouting for BR's head would be happy that what they wished for had come true. Exactly the same applies to Chairmen.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 29 Dec 2009 11:08

i can't grasp the logic of how he thinks he will be able to sell the club when we are in league 1 or worse.....

i have said it before on another thread, i can see RFC going into administration unless Mr Mad coughs up a few more quid, take a gamble and gets us out of this position.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Dec 2009 11:09

Sharpy i can't grasp the logic of how he thinks he will be able to sell the club when we are in league 1 or worse.....

i have said it before on another thread, i can see RFC going into administration unless Mr Mad coughs up a few more quid, take a gamble and gets us out of this position.

I can't, with 100% certainty.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 29 Dec 2009 11:12

fair enough you're probably more itk than most.....i'm following you on twitter now big man

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Dec 2009 11:16

Yep, I'd noticed - extra followers are always welcome ....

Re administration, the pain we're feeling at the moment is to avoid administration. It's precisely because we're being cut back so much that we're so crap.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 29 Dec 2009 11:21

Dirk Gently Yep, I'd noticed - extra followers are always welcome ....

Re administration, the pain we're feeling at the moment is to avoid administration. It's precisely because we're being cut back so much that we're so crap.

and if we continue to do so we will be in the conference quicker than you know it...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Dec 2009 11:26

Sharpy

and if we continue to do so we will be in the conference quicker than you know it...

The perplexing thing is that we shouldn't be - our salary is in the top 10 in the CCC, and figures prove that relative salary paid correlates to league position 92% of the time.

So there are three possible things happening here (yes, I know the first two are inter-related!) :
- the players are over-paid
- the players aren't playing to their potential
- the management aren't getting the best out of the players.

i don't know which one, and it's probably not just one.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Dec 2009 11:29

Dirk Gently
Sharpy

The perplexing thing is that we shouldn't be - our salary is in the top 10 in the CCC, and figures prove that relative salary paid correlates to league position 92% of the time.

So there are three possible things happening here (yes, I know the first two are inter-related!) :

How about, the players are playing to their potential, but they're not actually very good?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Dec 2009 11:31

Platypuss
Dirk Gently The perplexing thing is that we shouldn't be - our salary is in the top 10 in the CCC, and figures prove that relative salary paid correlates to league position 92% of the time.

How about, the players are playing to their potential, but they're not actually very good?

I'd thought of that - if they are then they''re over-paid (the first option).

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 29 Dec 2009 12:53

Am I correct in thinking that if SJM was to demand repayment of his loans to the club, we would go straight into administration?

Similar to that chap at Watford...?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Dec 2009 12:58

Yorkshire Royal Am I correct in thinking that if SJM was to demand repayment of his loans to the club, we would go straight into administration?

As the club simply doesn't have the £20m + he's loaned us then yes, at best, we would go into administration.

He won't though...

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 29 Dec 2009 13:00

Stranded
Yorkshire Royal Am I correct in thinking that if SJM was to demand repayment of his loans to the club, we would go straight into administration?

As the club simply doesn't have the £20m + he's loaned us then yes, at best, we would go into administration.

He won't though...

I was just thinking though. If everyone is calling him to go, what would happen if he did? We would go bust yes? Seems a strange thing to want to happen to our club though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Dec 2009 13:12

If he called in his loans and no-one came in to buy us then I think we may find it very hard to continue as a going concern...I could be wrong though.

Though if you believe some on here - he's already had all his money back and then some.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Dec 2009 13:21

I'm not going to call for him for SJM to go, but I can't see us getting out of a relegation fight without either our players suddenly becoming better (which seems unlikely given their last performance on top of all their previous ones this season) or some investment in the areas we are lacking (new striker/defender - rb?). If all his investments are tied up and losing money then maybe he could try raising money in some other creative way - rights to things, naming stands or something, I don't know but every little helps and shows that he's at least making an effort - and let's face it, he's showed that he is determined to do something about our position by getting rid of those responsible for the performance on the pitch... although maybe his timing wasn't quite perfect, but who's to say Rodgers would have done any better in our last few matches?