Back from the game - Blackpool

121 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game - Blackpool

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2010 18:04

Maguire
AthleticoSpizz
madreadingfan mcanuff gets paid thousands of pounds a week to play football and take some abuse, but thats like every footballer!! i wouldnt mind getting thousands of pounds a week for a whole stadium giving me abuse!!

its a bit like someone saying your shit at your job so why cant you say that to mcanuff, seeming he is getting lots of money from it
if someone said "I was shit at my job" ...I would probably deck them

You sound like a nice guy
add in the bit of my quote that you conveniently deleted........and yes, I am a nice guy.

I have never been told that I am "shit at my job" especially when I have been working my nuts off, and moreso, in the heat of that moment...(should it ever arise), I can see myself being less tolerant than Jobi might've been in his moment in time...........still, at least he has a pulse

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 21 Feb 2010 19:16

sandman
Royal Lady I suppose those who are bemoaning HH's comments would also prefer that the crowd don't shout "man on" etc or berate the ref when he blatently makes a mistake - after all, it's not for us to comment. :roll:

As both suggested actions are pointless, yes. Is the ref going to say yeah your right I'm wrong penalty? Shouting man on just makes player's tense up and they invariably lose the ball by playing a rushed pass.

Lets all agree to disagree and let the people that were actually at the game comment on it.

Have you ever been to places like The Den, Bramall Lane, Ninian Park, Old Trafford, Anfield? The fans there put a bit of pressure on the ref to make decisions in their teams favour. Getting on the back of a ref isnt pointless, even if it wont change the decision your berating him for, it might help a bit here or there in the long run

Shouting man on shouldnt make any difference really because his teammates should be telling him exactly the same thing. As for it making a player tense up, your grasp of how the game is played is laughable pal :roll:

HH is well within his rights to pull Jobi up on sloppy play like he did, and its certainly no abuse. Jobi shouldnt react in the way he did, but shit happens in the heat of the moment and it was probably more frustration boiling over from him because of the shit performance

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2010 19:32

Not abuse, but perhaps not the most helpful thing HH could have done. Not that I'm particularly criticising him, he's got every right to criticise a player's poor performance, although he does seem to get an earful from someone pretty regularly. :lol:

Jobi's struggling at the moment and it looks like he isn't in the rosiest of moods about it. Understandable really. Sometimes you have a bad day at the office and need a bit of support not someone nowhere near your league telling you what you just did wrong.

If I made a pretty basic error at work I'd be fuming with myself (I know this, they've happened unfortunately), if some git then told me words to the effect of "it's oxf*rd simple, get it right" I'd probably tell them to oxf*rd off too because they've just set themselves up as a focus for my anger and disappointment.

What I'd actually want is being told it's not that bad, there's time to make up for it and sort it out.

McAnuff's already lost the main reason he came here. We need him to want to stay and play well regardless. He's a winger ffs and one notorious for having plenty of off days. It comes with the territory.

blue_army1871

by blue_army1871 » 21 Feb 2010 19:49

I can safely say that 9 out of 10 people at Blackpool would have said something in frustration, criticising the team or a player. It's just that Jobi heard it and he reacted. We pay A LOT of money to watch our team and if we feel that the players, who's pockets our filled by our dedication, aren't giving 100% in every area then we should make that heard.

Whether what Jobi did was right is a different matter. But if we dish it out, then we've gotta take it. I don't think criticising a player should be aboloshed at all, but footballers are human and in pressure situations, some will react.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2010 19:50

blue_army1871 I can safely say that 9 out of 10 people at Blackpool would have said something in frustration, criticising the team or a player. It's just that Jobi heard it and he reacted. We pay A LOT of money to watch our team and if we feel that the players, who's pockets our filled by our dedication, aren't giving 100% in every area then we should make that heard.

Whether what Jobi did was right is a different matter. But if we dish it out, then we've gotta take it. I don't think criticising a player should be aboloshed at all, but footballers are human and in pressure situations, some will react.

as they say on here......+1

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 21 Feb 2010 20:17

"
Ian Royal Not abuse, but perhaps not the most helpful thing HH could have done. Not that I'm particularly criticising him, he's got every right to criticise a player's poor performance, although he does seem to get an earful from someone pretty regularly. :lol:

Jobi's struggling at the moment and it looks like he isn't in the rosiest of moods about it. Understandable really. Sometimes you have a bad day at the office and need a bit of support not someone nowhere near your league telling you what you just did wrong.

If I made a pretty basic error at work I'd be fuming with myself (I know this, they've happened unfortunately), if some git then told me words to the effect of "it's oxf*rd simple, get it right" I'd probably tell them to oxf*rd off too because they've just set themselves up as a focus for my anger and disappointment.

What I'd actually want is being told it's not that bad, there's time to make up for it and sort it out.

McAnuff's already lost the main reason he came here. We need him to want to stay and play well regardless. He's a winger ffs and one notorious for having plenty of off days. It comes with the territory.

If someone has done something badly then they should be able to accept being told that. It cannot be right to tell someone that something is not too bad if it is and wrap them up in cotton wool all the time, how else are they going to learn if they are consistantly told "it's not too bad" instead of "it's wrong and you need to get it right".

By the way, who else heard Bertrand on more than one occasion criticize (including swearing) both Kebe and McAnuff for not playing the obvious ball or moving into position?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2010 20:27

You don't teach someone how to do better by rubbing their face in their errors. You concentrate on how to make it better and prevent it happening again. Was it an error that lost us the game? No. Was it irritating? Yes. But that's all.

I'm delighted you aren't my line manager.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 21 Feb 2010 20:58

Without wanting to get into a discussion on this thread about it, if you are always told things are good, how on earth do you learn when things are wrong?

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 21 Feb 2010 21:03

I was at the game and this McAnuff incident has been blown out of proportion.

Maybe it was because I was sat near the halfway line but I think the blame was with Bertrand. He delayed the pass and by the time he made it McAnuff's run had taken him offside. That is Bertand's fault not McAnuff.

As for the game well it was one of the worst I've seen for a while. The pitch was a disgrace and Blackpool played it better than us. There were two moments of quality in the game from Charlie Adam that won the game for Blackpool. If we had had in our team instead of Howard, Sigurdsson or Karacan we would have won.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 Feb 2010 21:33

The most worrying aspect of that shower of shit yesterday was the complete inability of our management team to influence the performance of the team during the game - by either tactical or motivational means.

It was like a return to the bad old days at the end of Coppell's time - no plan B at all. The players clearly didn't want to be there, didn't want to play on that pitch and didn't give a damn about those that had put the effort in to travelling up. I was at Plymouth and QPR away too, and yesterday the team played as badly as they did in either of those two thrashings. Recent results should not disguise the fact that we are a poor football team, and that the only positive is that we are competing in a league full of other poor teams. Given time the current team may well gel into a decent unit, but then again...............

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2010 21:35

eleventh earl of mar Without wanting to get into a discussion on this thread about it, if you are always told things are good, how on earth do you learn when things are wrong?

You seem to be making up what I've said. Whoever said tell people they've done something right when they make a mistake.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 21 Feb 2010 21:49

Ian Royal
eleventh earl of mar Without wanting to get into a discussion on this thread about it, if you are always told things are good, how on earth do you learn when things are wrong?

You seem to be making up what I've said. Whoever said tell people they've done something right when they make a mistake.

I quoted you with this:
"What I'd actually want is being told it's not that bad, there's time to make up for it and sort it out. "

at no point did I say that anyone said "tell people they've done something right when they make a mistake, but as mentioned previously, wrong thread.
Last edited by eleventh earl of mar on 21 Feb 2010 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 Feb 2010 21:51

£25 to watch that and I think I'd have had more enjoyment from watching Whitley Tavern - certainly more comfort than that shambles of an away end at Blackpool.

Awful performance from both fans and players, though blame neither for not wanting it in the conditions.

Left with 10 minutes to go and don't think I saw their keeper do anything other than take a couple of goal kicks. Very poor.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 21 Feb 2010 21:57

Been watching the Wigan v Spurs game and the pitch was awful!!! It snowed over night up there too!! Funny thing is both teams were still knocking the ball around rather nicely and the away team won. Oh, wait, it's impossible to play football or at least make a decent effort on a shite pitch! :evil:

One thing that made me laugh from the Blackpool game was listening to Gerry Armstrong on the Radio. He was saying WE can't play our passing game on a pitch like this.
1) since BM has been in charge when have we ever played football on the deck.
2) I've just seen 2 teams play football on a pitch that was described as being "more suited to agricultural pursuits or Rugby".

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 Feb 2010 22:02

Were you there yesterday P_R? :|

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 21 Feb 2010 22:04

Players of most teams seem to be almost brainwashed into thinking that they cannot play on a pitch unless it is almost carpet like, this then gives players and management a ready made excuse about the pitch. The game yesterday reminded me of the days in the third and fourth divisions and if anybody had shown me yesterday's game at that time and told me it was second division football I would not have believed them.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 21 Feb 2010 22:25

Big Foot Were you there yesterday P_R? :|

Quite obviously I wasn't if I was listening to it on the radio. The point was to highlight that playing on a shite pitch is no excuse to produce such drivel and use lines like 'we couldn't play our normal game'.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Feb 2010 22:27

Plymouth_Royal Been watching the Wigan v Spurs game and the pitch was awful!!! It snowed over night up there too!! Funny thing is both teams were still knocking the ball around rather nicely and the away team won. Oh, wait, it's impossible to play football or at least make a decent effort on a shite pitch! :evil:

You overlook, of course, that Wigan and Spurs both have players infinitely better than our own.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 21 Feb 2010 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 Feb 2010 22:37

Plymouth_Royal
Big Foot Were you there yesterday P_R? :|

Quite obviously I wasn't if I was listening to it on the radio. The point was to highlight that playing on a shite pitch is no excuse to produce such drivel and use lines like 'we couldn't play our normal game'.

Sorry - not a clue who Gerry Armstrong is so didn't pick up on that.

I think the pitch is a very valid reason for poor performance as are the conditions - i.e. cold and fairly open. Don't think half our lot fancied it.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 21 Feb 2010 23:06

Sounds more like an excuse than a reason

Its still going to be a long battle to avoid relegation, and I think a few of the team might have thought they could take their foot off the gas after 4 wins on the trot. Hopefully the performance and result will make them realise they cant

Avon Royal The most worrying aspect of that shower of shit yesterday was the complete inability of our management team to influence the performance of the team during the game - by either tactical or motivational means.

It was like a return to the bad old days at the end of Coppell's time - no plan B at all. The players clearly didn't want to be there, didn't want to play on that pitch and didn't give a damn about those that had put the effort in to travelling up. I was at Plymouth and QPR away too, and yesterday the team played as badly as they did in either of those two thrashings. Recent results should not disguise the fact that we are a poor football team, and that the only positive is that we are competing in a league full of other poor teams. Given time the current team may well gel into a decent unit, but then again...............

This is spot on for me

121 posts