Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

154 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Mar 2010 20:44

West Brom are the second best side in this division and on another day we would have beaten them by a goal or two..................that's how far we've come since the nightmare of 2009, when Rodgers and Coppell managed 1 home win a piece.

Throughout many of those games our former Premiership squad looked like they could play for a month without scoring so, anyone slagging off Church or Long who thought the sun shone from Leroy's backside is in dire need of a sense of perspective.

As previously observed, why should Gylfi have been shown red? He was not the last man, there was at least one covering defender.

We had the Baggies rocking for a while in the first half and whilst this seasons playoffs slipped even further away, we should all be licking our lips at the prospect of what this team could achieve in the next campaign under the excellent Brian McDermott. They are a talented bunch most of whom are only going get better and with every passing week their confidence grows a little stronger.

I shall be renewing my season ticket at the first time of asking unlike Skyline, who I have been sat next to for the last 8 years. I shall miss him like a pair of old slippers you just can't face throwing in the bin!!!!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 20:49

Will you still be renewing your ST when Bertrand, Griffin and Zurab go back from loan and if someone comes in for Gylfi?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Mar 2010 20:49

Fair result....WBA rinsed us for a lot of the second half.....so what...they are second, we were 11th

The Lino could not have seen the foul throw from the hoardings....he had his bck to it all.........obligation to D'Urso had NO excuse tho'

MOTM for me was just winged by Feds...........crucial saves at crucial times.... but more so for his "decision-making" when coming in for the ball..................totally faultless today!

Zurab/Matty/Berty honourable second placed

Griff should've been taken to the glue factory in the first half....but recovered well in the second

Sig looked tired and lethargic in the last 10 minutes and subsequently made errors

As George Dawes once said....It is showing how far we have come if you are disapointed about only drawing at home to Bromwich

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Mar 2010 20:51

Once again this year we came away from the stadium having been entertained.
A really enjoyable game that D'Urso tried his hardest to spoil by giving the wrong decision (for both sides) almost every time.
What a good bloke our manager is-level-headed as ever on BBCRB saying that Mills' handball could have been a penalty.

Our only grouse was about substitutions-Long going off meant that we lost a defender in the air at set-pieces as Church doesn't jump either in attack or defence (that is the part of his game where he needs to improve dramatically).
Also we felt that fresh legs of Jem for Bryn or Howard would have been useful after about 70 minutes.

West Brom will need to sign defenders for next season.
We need to try to sign the loan players.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Mar 2010 20:55

Royal Lady Will you still be renewing your ST when Bertrand, Griffin and Zurab go back from loan and if someone comes in for Gylfi?

I see you've been on the happy pills again, RL!!!

Answer; of course, but I can't see all those things coming to pass (when did SJM last force one of his manager to sell off their rising stars?) and, even if they do, I know I'll still be watching something much better than what Coppell left behind.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 27 Mar 2010 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 27 Mar 2010 20:59

Most enjoyable game of the season so far for me. I do like WBA, they play a fine, open game of football and we stood toe to toe with them and matched them all the way. Brave of MaccyD to play so openly, especially leaving poor old Griffin chasing their Number 14's (Thomas?) shadow at times. Mills and Zurab were immense but the game was more worthy of 4-4 instead of 1-1. Boy, we've come a long way in two months to have a team like the Baggies delighted to come away with a point.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 21:01

Woodcote Royal
Royal Lady Will you still be renewing your ST when Bertrand, Griffin and Zurab go back from loan and if someone comes in for Gylfi?

I see you've been on the happy pills again, RL!!!

Answer; of course, but I can't see all those things coming to pass (when did SJM last force one of a manager to sell off his rising stars?) and, even if they do, I know I'll still be watching something much better than what Coppell left behind.

Yeah, I suppose you can always wait in your car until the teams are announced and then decide whether to go into the stadium or drive home, if you're unsure next season. :P

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Mar 2010 21:04

I think those days have gone for the foreseeable future, thank God but I'll renew and go when I can (which hasn't been very often of late)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 21:06

Fair dos.

I have to say I can't remember a league game where I've been so impressed with every single one of our players.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Mar 2010 21:35

Nothing really to add to whats been said, but still......

Matthew Mills was fcuking brilliant.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Mar 2010 21:58

winchester_royal Nothing really to add to whats been said, but still......

Matthew Mills was fcuking brilliant.

Yes he was. There was one superb tackle inside the penalty box when West Brom were pressing which was superbly timed. Kish was also excellent. Griffin recovered after a shocking start when he was being taken to the cleaners. I also thought Shane Long worked his backside off.
That was as hard as I've seen the team have to play mostly down to how well WBA passed the ball.

John Peel

by John Peel » 27 Mar 2010 22:08

Royal Lady Fair dos.

I have to say I can't remember a league game where I've been so impressed with every single one of our players.

You're absolutely right. Not one bad player in the starting IX and hard for me to pick one MOTM. Having said that, Church was a bit of a disappointment when he came on, and not just because of the chance he should've taken. He wasn't reading the line very well either.

Only frustrating thing (and it's not a criticism) was not being able to play so freely in the last 20/25 mins (possibly a sign of WBA's strength). We ended playing a bit too deeply and that part of the game wasn't suited to a 4-5-1. Switching to a 4-4-2 could possibly have helped the situation.

Anyway, still extremely proud of the team. They've been playing two a week and still give their all, chasing down every ball. We could've done with that spirit in the second half of last season!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Mar 2010 22:33

John Peel
Royal Lady Fair dos.

You're absolutely right. Not one bad player in the starting IX and hard for me to pick one MOTM. ......

It shows how confident we are that we can send a team out with only 9 players .... :wink:

John Peel

by John Peel » 27 Mar 2010 22:50

Dirk Gently
John Peel
Royal Lady Fair dos.

It shows how confident we are that we can send a team out with only 9 players .... :wink:

Yeah I know, that's what I thought :wink:

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 27 Mar 2010 23:01

Quote fail ^ :lol:

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 28 Mar 2010 00:12

BBC as bad as ITV

Only showed our goal, no other chances,
soft Brom shot
saying Brom should have had pen when it was offside
& their goal

Sh*t coverage again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mr. Reading

by Mr. Reading » 28 Mar 2010 00:17

watfordroyal BBC as bad as ITV

Only showed our goal, no other chances,
soft Brom shot
saying Brom should have had pen when it was offside
& their goal

Sh*t coverage again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BBC Championship highlights in being useless shocker!

... but honestly even that made me cringe when they showed the Griffin/Thomas challenge and said we were lucky to get away with it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Mar 2010 00:32

Yeah, especially as it was 5 yards offside.

No chances shown.

Wrong penalty shout shown.

No sig foul shown.

TERRIBLE, awful attemp at highlights and the BBC should be thoroughly ashamed. I almost spat on the floor at that laughable 30 second clip.

Morons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2010 02:06

Oh get a grip, they show highlights from 3 divisions ffs they can't show more than goals for most games.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 28 Mar 2010 02:26

Great game, could feel the equaliser coming, draw about right with us just shading it....

The ref was woeful, and that throw was just something straight out of a comedy show. Unbelievable.

West Brom fans really poor, how can so many make such little noise? Perked up when they scored, but up to that point you could almost forget they were there.

As for BBC coverage - its actually outsourced to a company called IMG, and there are many people watching the games, and to get the highlights in one of the biggest games in their top flight wrong was really very very very poor..

154 posts