Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by RobRoyal » 26 Oct 2012 15:28

Maguire
melonhead tbf hes already got a high media profile, presenting radio shows, and appearing as a pundit on MOTD/footy focus

How can that be, when black people never get given a chance? :?

Seriously, blacks, you've got one guy doing a phone-in - what more could you possibly expect?

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 26 Oct 2012 15:30

This topic needs more RL

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Oct 2012 15:32

melonhead
Royal Lady Well, personally, and this may be controversial to some people, I think Roberts just wants to raise his profile for when he retires, probably at the end of the season - so that the "media" will want to talk to HIM about all things racist and not Clarke Carlisle. Or something along those lines. He saw, after the JT and Serbia thing, an opening to make a name for himself on the back of the upcoming KIO campaign.

In days gone by, players who played football AND also had another job were known as semi-professionals. Maybe Mr Roberts could concentrate on his football for now and leave his media career until AFTER he has retired/we've let him go. :roll:

whatalotofshit

can the issue just not be imprtant to him, cos hes black, a footballer, and a member of the PFA board?
tbf hes already got a high media profile, presenting radio shows, and appearing as a pundit on MOTD/footy focus

im not really sure that this is something he needs for his post footy career

How very dare you! Yes he has got a high media profile, presents radio shows and appears as a pundit on MOTD/football focus and, personally, I would rather see his energies directed towards the bloody football field at the moment (and learning how to jump for a flaming header) than getting his profile raised any further. He clearly got the hump over the shorter ban for JT and it just happened to coincide with the latest KIO campaign. So do one.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Oct 2012 15:33

pea This topic needs more RL

Oh LOL - I just replied! :D

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Oct 2012 15:35

RobRoyal
Maguire
melonhead tbf hes already got a high media profile, presenting radio shows, and appearing as a pundit on MOTD/footy focus

Seriously, blacks, you've got one guy doing a phone-in - what more could you possibly expect?

Yeah and I saw one walking around our offices the other day without a vacuum cleaner. Turns out he's staff!

WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Oct 2012 15:37

RobRoyal
Maguire

Err, Spoony as well :|

They probably need to start stepping aside if anything.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 26 Oct 2012 15:38

Royal Lady black people can't multitask

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Oct 2012 15:47

RobRoyal
Maguire

Don't forget we've had to put up with Garth Crooks on the BBC for years as well!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Oct 2012 15:47

Royal Lady
melonhead
Royal Lady Well, personally, and this may be controversial to some people, I think Roberts just wants to raise his profile for when he retires, probably at the end of the season - so that the "media" will want to talk to HIM about all things racist and not Clarke Carlisle. Or something along those lines. He saw, after the JT and Serbia thing, an opening to make a name for himself on the back of the upcoming KIO campaign.

In days gone by, players who played football AND also had another job were known as semi-professionals. Maybe Mr Roberts could concentrate on his football for now and leave his media career until AFTER he has retired/we've let him go. :roll:

whatalotofshit

can the issue just not be imprtant to him, cos hes black, a footballer, and a member of the PFA board?
tbf hes already got a high media profile, presenting radio shows, and appearing as a pundit on MOTD/footy focus

im not really sure that this is something he needs for his post footy career

How very dare you! Yes he has got a high media profile, presents radio shows and appears as a pundit on MOTD/football focus and, personally, I would rather see his energies directed towards the bloody football field at the moment (and learning how to jump for a flaming header) than getting his profile raised any further. He clearly got the hump over the shorter ban for JT and it just happened to coincide with the latest KIO campaign. So do one.

Whatever your view he is clearly passionate about the subject and as someone who grew up in a family that has been affected by racism in football it is quite frankly ridiculous to suggest that he is just speaking out just to "raise his media profile".

Guess what? Football is just a game he should be allowed to stand up for his belief's whether Reading need 3 points on a Saturday afternoon or not. Besides he proved last season that he can have a positive impact on the team whilst having a media profile.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Oct 2012 15:53

Royal Lady While this buck be busy talkin' and fussin', he could be workin'! Got maself one with a pesky mind! This cotton ain't gonna pick itself!
Last edited by Extended-Phenotype on 26 Oct 2012 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 26 Oct 2012 15:55

sandman .
Royal Lady

Whatever your view he is clearly passionate about the subject and as someone who grew up in a family that has been affected by racism in football it is frankly ridiculous to suggest that he is just speaking out just to "raise his media profile".

Guess what? Football is just a game he should be allowed to stand up for his belief's whether Reading need 3 points on a Saturday afternoon or not. Besides he proved last season that he can have a positive impact on the team whilst having a media profile.

I cannot see any falling off in Roberts's play this season. To be honest, I'd play him over Pogrebnyak if he's match fit. I don't see how talking on the media, whether about racism or other things, can reduce performance on the pitch.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Oct 2012 15:56

Extended-Phenotype
SydenhamRoyal
Alexander Litvinenko Or, as someone tweeted last week, "White men annoyed that black men won't fight racism the way that white men tell them to."

His interview yesterday (posted elsewhere on the board) had me full of admiration for him

I'm willing to bet none of his detractors will bother to listen to it.

Even though ZacN has already commented on it?

I saw Roberts talking at the press conference at Reading on Sky last night (which I assume is the same interview) and yes, he presents his case pretty well. As well as he speaks, with emotion, confidence and control, and as good as it sounds, I didn't hear a lot of real depth to what he was saying.

I, like Clarke Carlisle, still think his choice of target was pretty poor. Yes it's been high profile this last week or so, but I think that's at the detriment of the good work the anti-racism organisations have done over the last 15 years. I think it's been divisive for football and the publicity has been bad for the game as a whole. His performance in front of the camera doesn't change that for me.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Oct 2012 16:03

I have no issue with Roberts message, I have issue with the friendly fire he felt was necessary to make his point

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Oct 2012 16:10

Gotta agree with everything E-P's said tbf

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Oct 2012 16:13

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Oct 2012 16:13

Was this the right thread?

PBR

by PBR » 26 Oct 2012 16:17

i just hope he gets dropped because he sucks in the premier league. then the media can find out what shirt he is wearing when hes at home watching the game eating wheaties

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Oct 2012 16:17

Pepe the Horseman Was this the right thread?

lol

Some classic RL a few posts earlier

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 26 Oct 2012 16:18

:lol:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Oct 2012 16:19

Close enough. It's the thought that counts, anyway.

1019 posts