Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Eaststandman

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2013 15:09

Winch has a point, but on the basis that 'no one man is bigger than the club' it makes sense to meet with BM and say 'look Brian its not working out and we need to make changes' Professional employees are expected to carry on until they are relieved of the responsibilities and having a plan and a successor mapped out is not a bad thing to do, it actually shows BM the respect he was due and minimises the effect of paddling around with thumbs up arses and brains in neutral, which is how the club looks today IMHO

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 13 Mar 2013 15:12

winchester_royal
Libertine See, and I would have no issue if the board negotiated with another manager behind the now sacked manager's back. It would show having some kind of plan. I much prefer at least having a plan to complete capriciousness...

I'd have massive issue with us treating him like that, but each to their own I guess.

They will have discussed possible options before pulling the trigger, and will know what they want to do next. Just because they haven't appointed someone within 24 hours it doesn't mean there was no serious consideration that went into the decision.

Well the business world is a pretty ruthless world and sometimes things happen which most of us find personally distasteful. But most successful businesses have a "business plan" and don't make changes for the sake of change and make changes with a long term goal in place and mind. What Soton did to Adkins was harsh but it showed that they put some thought into it and had a vision for the future. I can appreciate that at least...

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2013 15:13

winchester_royal
Libertine See, and I would have no issue if the board negotiated with another manager behind the now sacked manager's back. It would show having some kind of plan. I much prefer at least having a plan to complete capriciousness...

I'd have massive issue with us treating him like that, but each to their own I guess.

They will have discussed possible options before pulling the trigger, and will know what they want to do next. Just because they haven't appointed someone within 24 hours it doesn't mean there was no serious consideration that went into the decision.

No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. They had their reasons and obviously feel they were justified in doing what they did when they did it. BM's interview on BBCRB after Villa suggests he knew it was coming too.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Mar 2013 15:17

Libertine
winchester_royal

Well the business world is a pretty ruthless world and sometimes things happen which most of us find personally distasteful. But most successful businesses have a "business plan" and don't make changes for the sake of change and make changes with a long term goal in place and mind. What Soton did to Adkins was harsh but it showed that they put some thought into it and had a vision for the future. I can appreciate that at least...

I would argue that there is a long term goal in place, and it was decided that this goal was unobtainable with Brian in charge. You don't know how much thought/time went into making this decision, none of us do. Very few replacement managers are named within 48 hours so chill out.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 13 Mar 2013 15:36

winchester_royal I would argue that there is a long term goal in place, and it was decided that this goal was unobtainable with Brian in charge. You don't know how much thought/time went into making this decision, none of us do. Very few replacement managers are named within 48 hours so chill out.

Actually I am hoping a decision within 48 hours isn't made at this point. That was the point of my original post. We made a knee jerk reaction in firing Brian, just getting someone in for the sake of getting someone in will only compound that problem. At this point take our time, seeing we had no one lined up when we sacked our manager, do a proper search and get a manager in who can implement a plan going forward for this club.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Mar 2013 15:41

Libertine
winchester_royal I would argue that there is a long term goal in place, and it was decided that this goal was unobtainable with Brian in charge. You don't know how much thought/time went into making this decision, none of us do. Very few replacement managers are named within 48 hours so chill out.

Actually I am hoping a decision within 48 hours isn't made at this point. That was the point of my original post. We made a knee jerk reaction in firing Brian, just getting someone in for the sake of getting someone in will only compound that problem. At this point take our time, seeing we had no one lined up when we sacked our manager, do a proper search and get a manager in who can implement a plan going forward for this club.

How do you know it was knee jerk? How do you know it wasn't close in December and Brian was only saved by a few lucky comebacks in January?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 Mar 2013 15:47

winchester_royal
Libertine

How do you know it was knee jerk? How do you know it wasn't close in December and Brian was only saved by a few lucky comebacks in January?

That seems pretty obvious to me. He was given a lot of time. It was almost universally acknowledged after the Villa game that that time had run out. If you accept we're going down and believe we need a change, it would be idiotic to keep the manager until the end of the season. On the other hand, if you think we can still stay up but not with Brian at the helm, then make the change. People will see bad timing, knee jerk, shambles if they want to but it doesn't make it so. The only shambles has been how we competed in home games against Stoke, Wigan and Villa that we should have been winning.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2013 15:49

winchester_royal
Libertine

Thats the point surely, we don't know, but the bloody football club should and therefore not look rudderless?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Mar 2013 15:53

Eaststandman
winchester_royal How do you know it was knee jerk? How do you know it wasn't close in December and Brian was only saved by a few lucky comebacks in January?

Thats the point surely, we don't know, but the bloody football club should and therefore not look rudderless?

What more do you expect a day after sacking a manager? :|

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Mar 2013 15:53

In some respects it would be a disgrace if team put on a performance on Saturday unless Dolan plays new tactics.

I predict here and now that Dolan will be installed as manager till the end of the
Season.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 Mar 2013 16:02

paultheroyal In some respects it would be a disgrace if team put on a performance on Saturday unless Dolan plays new tactics.

Yeah. I'm getting ready to boo my heart out, just in case we scrape an unlikely draw.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2013 16:03

winchester_royal
Eaststandman
winchester_royal How do you know it was knee jerk? How do you know it wasn't close in December and Brian was only saved by a few lucky comebacks in January?

What more do you expect a day after sacking a manager? :|

Not the likes of PDC being seriously considered, before passing the poisoned chalice to ED before a game against Man Utd and a stated plan of intention, without necessarily naming names, if that risked the appointment, but this feels like hanging out a shingle, what next, a wanted ad in the Evening Post?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 Mar 2013 16:04

I think you could have had a reasonable expectation of a spirited performance on Saturday whether Brian was at the helm or not.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 Mar 2013 16:08

Arch I think you could have had a reasonable expectation of a spirited performance on Saturday whether Brian was at the helm or not.

Yeh we've never had trouble putting performances on against Man U for some reason.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2013 16:15

Can someone explain the ‘Adkins is a tool’ thing?

Just I’ve never felt he’s come across as a tool – is this another Rodgers/Pardew thing, where we call someone a tool because they aren’t humble, shrinking violets like McDermott and Coppell?

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 13 Mar 2013 16:15

Arch I think you could have had a reasonable expectation of a spirited performance on Saturday whether Brian was at the helm or not.

helm.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Mar 2013 16:22

People might say it's "a shambles", "we're playing Man Utd in a few days", "we should have had a manager ready"

Has anyone considered the fact that the next two games, Man Utd away and Arsenal away are unwinnable?
Tbh it is virtually irrelevant who takes charge of these two games, whether it is the Academy manager, the kit man or the average fan.

The next winnable game is Southampton at home on Sat 6th April; from McDermott's sacking this is almost 1 month. Ideally the new manager should have 2 weeks minimum to train with the squad and decide on team selection/tactics.
This gives the Reading Board up to 2 weeks to find and sign a new boss, there really is no rush and we do not need to panic that a new boss was not ready to come in.

If anything a caretaker boss for the next two games may be a positive. A period of transition will allow the fans and players angry about McDermott's sacking time to cool off, so that they will be able to get behind the new boss when he comes in.

Looking at the fixture list, if we were to get rid of McDermott between now and the end of the season, then right now would've been the time to do it. The board's timing has been spot on, imo. Of the last 7 games, 5 are realistically winnable. All is not lost.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2013 16:26

P!ssed Off People might say it's "a shambles", "we're playing Man Utd in a few days", "we should have had a manager ready"

Has anyone considered the fact that the next two games, Man Utd away and Arsenal away are unwinnable?
Tbh it is virtually irrelevant who takes charge of these two games, whether it is the Academy manager, the kit man or the average fan.

The next winnable game is Southampton at home on Sat 6th April; from McDermott's sacking this is almost 1 month. Ideally the new manager should have 2 weeks minimum to train with the squad and decide on team selection/tactics.
This gives the Reading Board up to 2 weeks to find and sign a new boss, there really is no rush and we do not need to panic that a new boss was not ready to come in.

If anything a caretaker boss for the next two games may be a positive. A period of transition will allow the fans and players angry about McDermott's sacking time to cool off, so that they will be able to get behind the new boss when he comes in.

Looking at the fixture list, if we were to get rid of McDermott between now and the end of the season, then right now would've been the time to do it. The board's timing has been spot on, imo. Of the last 7 games, 5 are realistically winnable. All is not lost.

If Eamonn somehow gets some points from the 2 games, he'll get the job for the rest of the season IMO.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 Mar 2013 16:30

Eamon is a decent coach, just look at the quality and results the academy is getting at the moment.

I'd rather he stayed doing that though, for the rest of the season...

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2013 16:32

ZacNaloen Eamon is a decent coach, just look at the quality and results the academy is getting at the moment.

I'd rather he stayed doing that though, for the rest of the season...

If he gets us 2 wins against Man U & Arsenal then I vote give him the job! :wink:

2614 posts