1204 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ince out!

by Orion1871 » 20 Feb 2023 20:53

Royal Rother
Mid Sussex Royal
Dirk Gently
The usual TD trick of trying to make himself the story...

Dellor has wound up every manager for the last 10 years, even Brian walked out of a conference once

I’m no particular fan of TD but he’s damned if he doesn’t ask the managers the difficult questions and he’s damned if he does.

Can’t win.

Fans criticise him for not asking tough questions, yet when he does they accuse him of trying to make it about himself.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 20 Feb 2023 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2023 21:06

Agree, we obviously have a lot of fans here that ‘watch’ the game by listening to the radio….sometimes, myself included.

Have you heard to some of the other beeb stations? Think yourselves lucky, ours is light-hearted, often tongue-in-cheek and decent in comparison.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2023 22:42

Mid Sussex Royal
Dirk Gently
Sutekh Transcript in the Chronicle of PI’s run-in with Tim after the Cardiff game

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ff-defeat/

The usual TD trick of trying to make himself the story...

Dellor has wound up every manager for the last 10 years, even Brian walked out of a conference once

He winds me up just listening to him let alone having to interact with the lemon.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2023 22:45

Pretty reasonable questions from Dellor there for the most part.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Feb 2023 23:04

I understand Ince to a degree, yes we don't have the most skillful players to play a better brand of football but for once he needs to take more responsibility for defeats and admit he's tactically limited.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Feb 2023 23:21

One thing that I don't get about the 'Ince out' thing is why do you guys have any faith that the owners would actually bring in someone better? It's not like they have a great track record.

Personally i'm taking the bird in the hand over the random Japanese 2nd division manager that they are likely to recruit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2023 00:21

Bowen is likely to be in charge of the next recruitment. Otherwise why bring him back to that role.

I've got a lot more faith he can pick a decent manager. He's been our best one in a while himself.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Feb 2023 08:37

Snowflake Royal Bowen is likely to be in charge of the next recruitment. Otherwise why bring him back to that role.

I've got a lot more faith he can pick a decent manager. He's been our best one in a while himself.

Was he actually any better than what Ince has been now given the context of the situation?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2023 11:44

Bowen is the closest we have to a smart football operator at the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2023 11:50

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Bowen is likely to be in charge of the next recruitment. Otherwise why bring him back to that role.

Was he actually any better than what Ince has been now given the context of the situation?

He finished 14th from a worse starting point and had to deal with the first lockdown.

So yes.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Feb 2023 12:20

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

He finished 14th from a worse starting point and had to deal with the first lockdown.

So yes.

Ince had to contend with being well in a relegation fight after a 6 point deduction as well as a host of other issues, Bowen came in after just 11 games of the season so hard far more time to turn fortunes around.

Not to mention Bowen did have some flexibility to bring players in whereas Ince has had to contend with restrictions and we had what, 10 players signed on this summer as well?

The league table is one thing, the context of the situation is another. As a manager, Bowen was steady, nothing more.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Feb 2023 12:39

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

So yes.

Ince had to contend with being well in a relegation fight after a 6 point deduction as well as a host of other issues, Bowen came in after just 11 games of the season so hard far more time to turn fortunes around.

Not to mention Bowen did have some flexibility to bring players in whereas Ince has had to contend with restrictions and we had what, 10 players signed on this summer as well?

The league table is one thing, the context of the situation is another. As a manager, Bowen was steady, nothing more.

I would say Bowen was better than Ince but that’s purely based on feeling more confident we’d win games when Bowen was in charge. I’m afraid the dread of going to games and fearing the worst has now returned for me. It’s deja vu Pauno from last season.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 21 Feb 2023 13:42

Royal_jimmy I understand Ince to a degree, yes we don't have the most skillful players to play a better brand of football but for once he needs to take more responsibility for defeats and admit he's tactically limited.

thing is is we have all seen this team play better football. maybe not amazing tika taka (which i h8 anyway) but still able to go at teams in an entertaining way and get results.
and we do have the 3rd best home record in the league.
in the last home game we set up negatively, were awful and only pulled it out of the bag when he had changes forced upon him, when we suddenly looked like a real attacking force again...

so it does suggest its as much about how he sets the team up as anything else.
5 at the back, 2 holding, AK up front with no width/wingers etc

i was all for giving him a chance next season after keeping us up (finger crossed) this year
but after this nonsense i think thats a bad idea, and will only see us struggling again and sacking him by xmas.

hes done a job, and thanks for that, but i now think theres a good reason he has never lasted a full year in charge of anyone until now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2023 15:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

So yes.

And steady is the best we've had.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2023 15:28

Fair summary in all probability Brendy.

I too was give him the summer, but I'm really not impressed with his decisions and performance at the moment.

In fact I'm heading towards a point of saying thanks and goodbye this season once safe to see if we can give a replacement a couple of competitive games to view the squad befoee the summer.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Feb 2023 15:48

Results wise there may not be much in it, but the football on display is so bad now people just don't want to watch it anymore.

(Well I don't anyway.)

But he's on the way to keeping us up for 2 seasons whilst under embargo so in that respect he's done a good job in difficult circumstances.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Feb 2023 15:54

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal He finished 14th from a worse starting point and had to deal with the first lockdown.

So yes.

And steady is the best we've had.

I don't know. I'd say Ince has done more with what he's had to work with than what Bowen did. It doesn't mean to say Bowen was/did poorly or anything, he didn't, he just hasn't done as much as what Ince has done given what they've both had to work with.

If we were looking at just league tables, we'd be saying Stam is the best manager we've had. Of course, everyone only ever remembers how it ended, whereas Bowen didn't necessarily end on a poor run of results, he ended during a pre-season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2023 10:38

YorkshireRoyal99
If we were looking at just league tables, we'd be saying Stam is the best manager we've had.

We’d be saying it was Steve Coppell. Stam would be behind McDermott and McGhee.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Feb 2023 10:59

SCIAG
YorkshireRoyal99
If we were looking at just league tables, we'd be saying Stam is the best manager we've had.

In more recent times i.e. under the Dai's.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2023 12:50

SCIAG
YorkshireRoyal99

And you'd not give much credit to anyone arguing for Stam over Pardew either.

1204 posts