New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2009 11:17

Deathy
Hoop Blah You don't think he did an excellent job at Yoevil with two promotions (one by a record 17 point margin) and an FA Trophy for a team that had done nothing in the past apart from some FA Cup giant killings.

At City he almost got them promoted last season after coming up the year before (another promotion there of course) and has consolidated again this season.

I don't see anything about him that would be a black mark against him, although I do think there are better potential targets who might be more exciting.

Yes of course, I agree totally. I just don't see how he will take us forwards. Sideways yes, and we shouldn't argue with that maybe. The last thing we want is to go backwards! He's just 'one of those'.

I was just trying to understand WHY you thought that though. This is a manager who has won 3 promotions and a cup competition in the last what 6 or 7 years? That's all with teams that you probably wouldn't have expected to be successful.

That's a pretty good record compared to some of the other names being banded about.

Agree with rhroyal that it might not be the best career move for him though.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 May 2009 11:22

Hoop Blah
Deathy
Hoop Blah You don't think he did an excellent job at Yoevil with two promotions (one by a record 17 point margin) and an FA Trophy for a team that had done nothing in the past apart from some FA Cup giant killings.

At City he almost got them promoted last season after coming up the year before (another promotion there of course) and has consolidated again this season.

I don't see anything about him that would be a black mark against him, although I do think there are better potential targets who might be more exciting.

Yes of course, I agree totally. I just don't see how he will take us forwards. Sideways yes, and we shouldn't argue with that maybe. The last thing we want is to go backwards! He's just 'one of those'.

I was just trying to understand WHY you thought that though. This is a manager who has won 3 promotions and a cup competition in the last what 6 or 7 years? That's all with teams that you probably wouldn't have expected to be successful.

That's a pretty good record compared to some of the other names being banded about.

Agree with rhroyal that it might not be the best career move for him though.

I appreciate that, and his record speaks volumes (even if his vocal cords don't), but we're not the Reading FC of maybe 5 years ago when maybe his appointment would be seen as exciting, perhaps. We're now thought of as one of the top teams in the Championship with a Premiership set up. He's done wonders for Yeovil and Bristol City, I couldn't agree more. And who are we to judge? Many of us were getting restless when Coppell was here before 'that' season. What do we know!

I'm just looking forward to the changes.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 May 2009 11:52

Gary Peters, he's available and knows RFC

Anyone who saw his last game for RFC cannot possibly disagree with me

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 May 2009 12:13

Lansdown, though, is adamant Johnson is committed to Bristol City and is planning for the future with his current incumbent, who has four-years left on his existing deal.

"What Reading do is up to them. They would have to speak to me first and go through the proper procedures but the answer would still be no," he told the Bristol Evening Post.

4 years would cost us quite a bit in compensation. I think this is a dead duck.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 May 2009 12:25

RFCMod Brendan Rodgers and Eamonn Dolan

Lets start all over again with 2 people who know the club inside and out,know its constraints and even though it may take a while won't just walk if all goes wrong like some of the bigger names being banded about
Parky to be brought in as a senior coaching role

Thats what i would want apart from Parky. I don't think this combo will happen though

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 May 2009 19:27

Curbs is the only manager who would even vaguely excite me at the moment.

Fantastic record, few blemishes if any.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 May 2009 19:34

RoyalBlue
PEARCEY
Royal Rother Watford were in the relegation zone when he took over and they ended up 13th - that is a very good start to a managerial career.

He'll have more talent to work with here from the Academy upwards so I would imagine he'd relish the job. It's a perfect step up for him. (No disrespect to Watford intended.)

Yes but its only a start in his managerial career. On that basis Glenn Roeder has a terrific track record.
Rodgers has yet to complete a full season in managing a club and yet there is all this clamour for him.
Of course you can quote Pardew as being unproven and he went onto be successful here but what he has achieved since then? Unemployed now.
Rodgers has no proven record of successful management of a League side. Half a season at Watford isn't much of a managerial record to go with.
PS Royal Blue........Just because I dont happen to agree with your choice of our next manager it does not make me a newbie. Its my opinion so just live with it.

The newbie remark wasn't aimed specifically at you and there was also a question mark after it!!

However, since you are a long established supporter, how come you forget to mention McGhee? Could it be because the fact he was completely untried/inexperienced as both a coach and manager and yet went on to bring us great success doesn't fit in with your argument?! He's still employed too!

Mark McGhee is fair comment although his best work was in my view achieved at Reading and he hasn't done a lot since.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 May 2009 19:39

For godsakes the McGhee argument is a total non argument.

An untried manager turingin out good is the exception not the rule.

Why not make me manager? I may be untried but I'm damn good at football manager, have co-managed a U18 team and afetr all McGhee was untried so therefore I'll also be good.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 May 2009 19:50

Alan Partridge NOT

Dowie
Pardew
Boothroyd

Or anyone currently employed by RFC.
including Eamon Dolan?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 May 2009 19:51

loyalroyal4life
RFCMod Brendan Rodgers and Eamonn Dolan

Lets start all over again with 2 people who know the club inside and out,know its constraints and even though it may take a while won't just walk if all goes wrong like some of the bigger names being banded about
Parky to be brought in as a senior coaching role

Thats what i would want apart from Parky. I don't think this combo will happen though
What's to say Frank Lampard Snr won't come along with Brendan Rogers.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 May 2009 19:53

Trevor Senior for manager, maybe even player/manager if it improves our striking options.

roll over boltonhoven

by roll over boltonhoven » 15 May 2009 20:20

please don't consider let alone big up Gary Johnson - as someone who sees a lot of football from both Bristol clubs he makes some of Sir Steve's 'over loyal' decisions seem inspired and cerytianly baffles city fans on a very regular basis.

The Paul Trollope and Lennie Lawrence combo at Rovers would be a better bet - though as Lennie is a Director of Football it would just be PT then. Bright coach and manager - look at the player he has made out of Rickie Lambert!

Roberto di Matteo is one of the options in the Evening Post and that is not a bad shout - though fair chance we will facxe hoim next season as it goes !

Brendan Rogers has done a very impressive job in dragging Watford out of the mire and would be my number 1 choice given his knowledge of the club, with di Matteo number 2 and Trollope number 3.

marekisgod

by marekisgod » 15 May 2009 20:47

roy keane

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 15 May 2009 21:52

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm? ... e=s6i53194

Reading go for Morrisey Written by Ricardo Fromage

Story written: 15 May 2009
Tags: Football (Soccer), Reading FC

Following the departure of their former manager, Steve Coppell, Reading Football club made a surprise announcement on their website today. Apparently, they have signed Morrisey, the high pitched, daffodil waving superstar from the 80's to be their new manager.

A spokesperson for the club stated yesterday'The key to success in football is consistency.

Therefore, it makes perfect sense to replace one miserable, downtrodden manager with another'.

After pausing to eat a Pukka pie, he continued; 'We believe he can bring a new level of motivation to our palyers and supporters. After all Morrisey once said You stand on your own, you leave on your own, you go home, you cry and you want to die.'

'That sums it up for me after the play-offs' the track-suited spokesperson said before ordering another pie.

:shock:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 May 2009 21:57

I think that would cause Harold to reject Chelsea and turn to us. :shock:

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 15 May 2009 23:42

Deathy
Hoop Blah
Deathy Gary Johnson :|

There would go my optimism.

Why?

Done a good job with Bristol City, limited budget and all, but he's never done anything to make you think we can progress with him. Maybe tick along nicely as a mid-table side with hopes of play-offs.

He also sounds younger than Hammond. :shock:

not the worst of the bunch but neither the best either-maybe a bit too bullivant wheeler dealer esque??

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 15 May 2009 23:46

curbishly has confirmed his interest

poyet to be laughed out the club

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 15 May 2009 23:54

Royal Lady I'm still pretty sure it could be Curbishley.

maybe, i would definately have him on the short list however i just get the feeling whether he actually really wants the job having courted interest from teams in the prem during the successes at charlton and since.Granted he has played the waiting game for a position he wants to fill, though this begs the question if he has been overlooked by Prem teams now after his short time at W Ham(though pompey could be tempting??) so it could be a case of him having to re-evaluate his options

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 16 May 2009 00:29

gazzer, loyal royal curbishly has confirmed his interest

Source? Cos if this is true, then that would be very good news and should do everything to get him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 May 2009 01:06

RoyalBird
gazzer, loyal royal curbishly has confirmed his interest

Source? Cos if this is true, then that would be very good news and should do everything to get him.

+1

1747 posts