Alex Pearce

769 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Alex Pearce

by melonhead » 07 Mar 2013 11:40

its about money and success that we cant currently offer him.
thought the club probably deserved a little more loyalty, but if a chance to play at a bigger/better company came along for double my money, id go too, so............

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Mar 2013 11:47

melonhead thought the club probably deserved a little more loyalty, but if a chance to play at a bigger/better company came along for double my money, id go too, so............

For the sake of going over old ground, he deserved better treatment from the club earlier in the season.

As you say, bigger and better things - but we might have got more loyalty had he felt valued.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Mar 2013 11:55

He's not decided where he's going, he just wants to wait and see.

That's not new news and I don't see why that's seen as anything other than sensible really.

In the same situation I'd probably do the same and so would many others. He's shown nothing but loyalty to the club by playing hard every single game and refusing to speak out and slam the club despite some piss poor treatment at times. Look at how Federici and Guthrie have behaved, both on far more money than Pearce and tied down to the club for years but both have acted like spoiled brats at times this season.

If Reading had so much loyalty to him they wouldn't have waited until the summer. They would have shown they valued him in the previous summer or at least Christmas last year and tied him up alongside Jimmy. Instead they waited and were given a shock when the player and his agent said 'actually we want to consider all options'.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Mar 2013 12:24

Sanguine
melonhead thought the club probably deserved a little more loyalty, but if a chance to play at a bigger/better company came along for double my money, id go too, so............

For the sake of going over old ground, he deserved better treatment from the club earlier in the season.

As you say, bigger and better things - but we might have got more loyalty had he felt valued.

no one deserves to start every week.
we were trying to find the right blend.as a proffesional, you get your head down, work hard and when you get back in the team make sure you are impossible to drop.
his performances at the start of the season didnt justify his permenant inclusion in the squad any more than any of the other defenders.
agree with wimb though. contract should have been sorted before this season. though we have no idea if the club tried to or not

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 07 Mar 2013 13:03

Any employee who discovers that their personal ambition is greater than that of their employers should leave.

All the best Alex, we are sorry for the way that Brian has treated you.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 07 Mar 2013 13:28

Avon Royal Any employee who discovers that their personal ambition is greater than that of their employers should leave.

All the best Alex, we are sorry for the way that Brian has treated you.

Cant blame Alex at all Club going down, Manager publicly telling all and sundry about two goals were his fault what about the other 1000 we have shipped this season, any manager that does that to cover his own back due to his failings deseves nothing out of the game and no respect off the players, Stand up Mcd and be counted

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 07 Mar 2013 13:39

Quite prepared to be proven wrong in the future but I don't think he is actually that good.
As I see it he gets brushed aside fairly easily (Fellaini,Jerome etc.) and he lacks pace although to his credit he does look to be an organiser although that is difficult to judge because of playing in the second worst defence in the Premier League.

His head appears to have been turned by being called up by a 3rd rate international side,one that Ian Harte thinks he should be playing for which says it all really.
Just because he grits his teeth and does the fist waving at the end of a game seems to have convinced people that he is Reading-till-he-dies whereas he is probably just your normal greedy self-interested modern day footballer.
The club obviously doesn't rate him as highly as he rates himself so let him go to Millwall or Ipswich and let us "move on".

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Mar 2013 13:43

Have no beef with Pearce wanting to go.

Have beef with club for putting our chances at risk thinking that if they treat him like a dick he might stay.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Mar 2013 13:44

BR2 let him go to Millwall or Ipswich and let us "move on".

LOL. I'd be prepared to wager that Pearce will be playing Premier League football next season. Reading FC sure as hell won't be.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 07 Mar 2013 13:44

I've been thinking recently that centre back is not Pearce's natural position.

When he's been in the correct position up the pinch he has delivered some fantastic crosses. I think we should give him a game on the left wing and launch those deliveries in. He can't be much worse than McAnuff!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Mar 2013 13:44

Extended-Phenotype Have no beef with Pearce wanting to go.

Have beef with club for putting our chances at risk thinking that if they treat him like a dick he might stay.

Yep, what the hell is going on back there. Is Brian trying the 'treat 'em mean keep 'em keen' approach?

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 07 Mar 2013 14:00

Anyone else of the opinion that Alex Pearce has had just one good season for us and should get off his high horse? The club don't owe him anything yet.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Mar 2013 14:06

savage 4 england I've been thinking recently that centre back is not Pearce's natural position.

When he's been in the correct position up the pinch he has delivered some fantastic crosses. I think we should give him a game on the left wing and launch those deliveries in. He can't be much worse than McAnuff!

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 07 Mar 2013 14:23

floyd__streete
BR2 let him go to Millwall or Ipswich and let us "move on".

LOL. I'd be prepared to wager that Pearce will be playing Premier League football next season. Reading FC sure as hell won't be.

Could be persuaded to have a wager but slightly put off by the fact that somebody like Cardiff or Hull might take him on a free just to build up their squads.
Let me have a bit longer to think about it.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Mar 2013 14:28

floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype Have no beef with Pearce wanting to go.

Yep, what the hell is going on back there. Is Brian trying the 'treat 'em mean keep 'em keen' approach?

Sign this.
No.
You are now injured.
Don't pass the ball.
Why?
You are now injured.
Who did you last pass to?
The opposition.
You are now captain.
We have 15 defensive midfielders and no creative mids. What position do you play?
Defensive midfield.
Signed.
I'm injured.
SIGNED SIGNED SIGNED.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Mar 2013 14:31

:|

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Mar 2013 14:39

:o

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Mar 2013 14:39

:!:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Mar 2013 14:43

------

Hello!.....Hi!
:)........ :)

------

:) :)

------

:)
:shock:

------

:x
:o

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Mar 2013 15:08

The Goat was fed Anyone else of the opinion that Alex Pearce has had just one good season for us and should get off his high horse? The club don't owe him anything yet.

I think he's progressed every season he's been with us which has seen him develop into quite a decent centre half. One that has limitations yes, but his game covers for them pretty well, especially when partnered with the right centre half who can cover him with that extra bit of pace.

I think he's more than played his part over the last 3 seasons and has contributed well to that success.

Do the club owe him anything? Not as such no. If they want to keep him then they probably need to get close to rewarding him as well as the competition want to. If they don't then they're going to have to shell out decent money to replace him with a player that might, like the gamble on any transfer, not pay off.

I'm not really bothered about how the club treat Pearce as an individual, but I am a bit miffed that they seem happy to put results on the pitch at risk by seemingly letting the contract situation influence team selection.

769 posts