969 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 08:55

leon
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
I think it’s more about what agencies Kia might also have interest in. We’ve been told he was involved in the Joao signing and he enabled the loan signings of a couple of years under Gomes. Hein and Hurtado were also connected to him and I’d me amazed if Araruna and Rafael couldn’t be linked in some way as well.

Yeah I'd agree there, it was the only one I could find, I didn't spend time extensively looking. There seems to be another company called Jazzy Limited that he is a director of but it's unclear what they actually do.

He’s not doing it because he loves the Royals.

It stinks and we need to get back to a grown up way of conducting ourselves. A way of playing. Scouts and a DoF that is entirely in sync with the manager.

It’s not difficult.

That's stating the obvious really. Ultimately, we don't actually know what transfers he's been involved in, but we can give a pretty good guess with a few, especially considering they are/were linked to one of his agencies.

I'd certainly prefer a more traditional method of recruiting as opposed to Kia.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2022 09:10

morganb Has anyone heard anything linking Michael Carrick to Reading? Mr Dai seems to like an ex-Man Utd player.

Are you saying this is something you have heard or just hoping there is a rumour ?
Would be an absolutely outstanding appointment.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 May 2022 09:19

Here are all the transfers in and out since forever!!

:-)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-read ... erein/1032

I did read an article a while ago about how we have been sucked into what, on the surface, looks like a dodgy group of clubs who are all linked by a specific agent where players get transferred to and from for sums of money far in excess of their true worth or value.

Here is the article: read it for yourselves............It isn't a nice read, so if you love our club, buckle up.

https://footballtyper.com/2022/02/19/it ... d-reading/

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 May 2022 09:33

YorkshireRoyal99
leon
YorkshireRoyal99
Yeah I'd agree there, it was the only one I could find, I didn't spend time extensively looking. There seems to be another company called Jazzy Limited that he is a director of but it's unclear what they actually do.

It stinks and we need to get back to a grown up way of conducting ourselves. A way of playing. Scouts and a DoF that is entirely in sync with the manager.

It’s not difficult.

That's stating the obvious really. Ultimately, we don't actually know what transfers he's been involved in, but we can give a pretty good guess with a few, especially considering they are/were linked to one of his agencies.

Oh sorry for stating the obvious.

I’ll just write reams and reams of specious shit instead then? That seems to be the TB way of doing things.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2022 09:35

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 May 2022 09:38

Nameless
morganb Has anyone heard anything linking Michael Carrick to Reading? Mr Dai seems to like an ex-Man Utd player.

Are you saying this is something you have heard or just hoping there is a rumour ?

I know it's only Twitter but there was something briefly mentioned in a comment last week https://twitter.com/QN_STRINGS/status/1 ... 5644692481 (that I paid no attention to) but then today another poster put up a mysterious picture of Carrick - https://mobile.twitter.com/bluewhitewal ... 4974102530 (comments imply it is rubbish mind) - just wondered if there was anything in it
Last edited by morganb on 03 May 2022 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 09:44

leon
YorkshireRoyal99
leon

It’s not difficult.

Oh sorry for stating the obvious.

I’ll just write reams and reams of specious shit instead then? That seems to be the TB way of doing things.

It wasn't a criticism, but ok.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 May 2022 10:03

Mr Angry Here are all the transfers in and out since forever!!

:-)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-read ... erein/1032

Look at how stable the team was in the 1980s and early 90s, before football became a meat market

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2022 11:24

morganb
Nameless

I know it's only Twitter but there was something briefly mentioned in a comment last week https://twitter.com/QN_STRINGS/status/1 ... 5644692481 (that I paid no attention to) but then today another poster put up a mysterious picture of Carrick - https://mobile.twitter.com/bluewhitewal ... 4974102530 (comments imply it is rubbish mind) - just wondered if there was anything in it

Yeah, I'd hardly call either of those "links". I could post something similar about rumours John Terry is on a shortlist as we want to increase our already strong links with Chelsea and it would be just as credible.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2022 11:25

Stranded
morganb
Nameless

Yeah, I'd hardly call either of those "links". I could post something similar about rumours John Terry is on a shortlist as we want to increase our already strong links with Chelsea and it would be just as credible.

I could definitely see the owners going for a recently retired player looking for their first management job though.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 11:35

We've got somewhat of a reputation of giving ex-players or managers with no previous experience a chance. Most of them have been relatively successful as well in fairness.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 03 May 2022 11:39

YorkshireRoyal99 We've got somewhat of a reputation of giving ex-players or managers with no previous experience a chance. Most of them have been relatively successful as well in fairness.

Not under this owner we haven't, so that means nothing I'm afraid.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 11:42

PATRIQT
YorkshireRoyal99 We've got somewhat of a reputation of giving ex-players or managers with no previous experience a chance. Most of them have been relatively successful as well in fairness.

Bowen was relatively successful in his time in charge.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 May 2022 12:02

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I don't think that's true at all. We've shown no inclination to play with two strikers at all except under extreme fan pressure. You argue we signed Puscas and Joao to play together and in the same breath contradict yourself to say we signed Ejaria to play in a midfield three behind. That's 5 forwards. We don't play with 5 forwards. Playing with 5 forwards is ridiculous. And Ejaria didn't particularly start out on the left for us.

We've gone from having 3 left backs, to one to starting a season with none.

We constantly overload one or two positions leaving ourselves bare in others. When we have one real left back, we sign a young right back to cover the other two and a half right backs we've got.

We make ridiculously inexperienced keeper loans when we have an academy producing multiple young keepers.

We play strikers like Puscas, Baldock, Grabban and Vydra out of their comfort zone.

We sign Aluko for big money when what we actually need is a striker, because we aren't prepared to pay more for our primary target.

It's all just going for whatever is flashed in front of us.

Just come out of q transfer embargo? Ok, lets buy two strikers for a combined price of allegedly about £10m.

There was no plan.

How have you deduced 5 forwards from 2 strikers and 2 creative midfielders? I presume you thought I meant two wingers but I did mention a narrow midfield 3?

I didn't say it was remotely sensible, sustainable or whatever other words you want to use, but there was a plan to gamble for promotion but what has completely worked against us is the fees and the wages for all the players, that's been the problem. We haven't utilised our players well enough, I don't think Ejaria is a left winger, I think he's a talented players but maybe not in the right position and I've said my bit about Joao and Puscas as a two.

I think what it was is that we went for who our agent has/had contacts with and could get a player into us. It wasn't scouting in a traditional sense, there probably wasn't much scouting at all, we just relied on a "super-agent" to do the work for us.

So the only option I can think of is 3 centrebacks, 2 wing backs, 3 midfielders, 2 strikers, something we've shown barely any interest in playing at all, we consistently play a back four.

In fairness, that’s exactly what we did do for the first half of the season when Joao, Puscas, Ejaria etc came in. Gomes got the shape wrong mind, with the fullback too high up. Bowen came in, kept the same formation but solidified us and Baldock and Puscas were working well up top together

Couple of injuries meant we had to change and Joao excelled as the lone striker. Never understood to this day why Bowen didn’t revert back to that formation once Joao got injured though

Agreed with the gist of your point though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2022 12:10

NathStPaul
Stranded
morganb

I could definitely see the owners going for a recently retired player looking for their first management job though.

Not saying it's not feasible and Carrick feels like an ex-pro who should go on and have a decent managerial career but just not giving any weight to a couple of random Twitter posts at this stage.

I wouldn't be against a move that sees Carrick come in and Ince move into a DoF role though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2022 12:18

YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT

That's one of six of their appointees.

Clement had limited experience, Gomes had plenty, Bowen had none but loads as a coach, Pauno had a fair amount, Ince had a fair amount.

Relative and / or most are doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2022 12:25

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT

Clement had limited experience, Gomes had plenty, Bowen had none but loads as a coach, Pauno had a fair amount, Ince had a fair amount.

Relative and / or most are doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

To be fair to YR99 it wasn’t him who limited the statement to the current owners. As a club we have made some very brave managerial appointments that have been extremely successful.
But I’d agree that Pardew, McGhee, Quinn/Gooding, Rodgers (?), McDermott are history rathervthan a guide to future performance....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 12:36

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT

As said below, it wasn't just our current owners, but the club in general.

Even still, it was geared towards ex-players or managers with no previous experience, so Clement, Gomes, Pauno and Ince come off the list you have given.

Our owners didn't actually appoint Stam, but he was obviously really poor in his second season, whereas Bowen with no previous managerial experience did pretty well, so maybe a bit of a leveler under the current owners. But as mentioned by Nameless, the aforementioned names have enjoyed a level of success with ourselves.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2022 13:24

Yes in what is now sadly ancient history when we were a different club under Madejski, we used to appoint well and mostly with success. All a good 10 years ago.

Now we're known for appointing a new manager with limited experience, who fails, about once a year.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2022 13:45

Snowflake Royal Yes in what is now sadly ancient history when we were a different club under Madejski, we used to appoint well and mostly with success. All a good 10 years ago.

Now we're known for appointing a new manager with limited experience, who fails, about once a year.

Average tenure of a manager in the Championship ?
374 days.
So we change managers about as often as average.
It’s a crazily short time, but we don’t seem to be an outlier.

969 posts