1747 posts
Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Paul Jewell

by Deathy » 18 May 2009 18:54

Oh, another manager thread.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Deathy » 18 May 2009 18:58

adamh4608
Ian Royal
adamh4608 WHY OH WHY ROGERS, IF WE GET HIM THAT WILL SHOW NO PROGRESS BY THE CULB, IT WOULD BE A BACKWARD STEP.
WE NEED A MANAGER THAT WILL TAKE US FORWARD ON FROM COPPELL THATS WHY FROM THE NAMES BEEN PUT ABOUT ITS GOT TO BE CUBS

1) Caps lock = shouting and is rude, you can turn it off by pressing the "Caps Lock" button on the left hand side of your keyboard (left is the side that when you have thumb and fore finger of your hand at right angles, looks like an L [I realise I may have lost you at "right angles"]).

2) His name is Rodgers.

3) Given your inability to manage the two above and several other spelling, grammer(sic) or punctuation mistakes, I suspect your opinion isn't worth a great deal anyway.

Are you another plastic fan

And you're a thickcunt.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 May 2009 18:59

adamh4608
Ian Royal
adamh4608 WHY OH WHY ROGERS, IF WE GET HIM THAT WILL SHOW NO PROGRESS BY THE CULB, IT WOULD BE A BACKWARD STEP.
WE NEED A MANAGER THAT WILL TAKE US FORWARD ON FROM COPPELL THATS WHY FROM THE NAMES BEEN PUT ABOUT ITS GOT TO BE CUBS

1) Caps lock = shouting and is rude, you can turn it off by pressing the "Caps Lock" button on the left hand side of your keyboard (left is the side that when you have thumb and fore finger of your hand at right angles, looks like an L [I realise I may have lost you at "right angles"]).

2) His name is Rodgers.

3) Given your inability to manage the two above and several other spelling, grammer(sic) or punctuation mistakes, I suspect your opinion isn't worth a great deal anyway.

Are you another plastic fan

No, done my time thanks, two relegations, 4 play off failures, 2 promotions...

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 18 May 2009 19:02

cubs?? i dont want baby bears running our club!!!

Curbs has stated he would only manage in the prem and although he is a top manager i dont think we would suit him. if you've read mr mads interview it looks like the new guy is going to have to trim the squad, work on a low budget and promote the youngsters.

Rodgers fits the bill with this and he knows alot of our players.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 May 2009 19:07

NOTY.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 18 May 2009 19:11

Savage! :lol:

Cookie

by Cookie » 18 May 2009 19:26

Jez Took Bradford up, Kept Bradford up
Took Wigan up, Kept Wigan up....

Fair eough hes had his Nightmares as well i.e Sheff Wednesday and Derby

could he do the same with Reading?

No thanks, he's lost his mojo. :lol:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 May 2009 19:35

Hmmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cambridge_utd/8055111.stm

Cambridge accept Brabin approach

Brabin guided Cambridge to the Blue Square Premier play-off final
Cambridge United chairman George Rolls has confirmed that the club have given manager Gary Brabin permission to enter talks with a Football League club.

The U's lost 2-0 to Torquay in Sunday's Blue Square Premier play-off final.

Rolls told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "We've had an approach from a club much higher than us. I felt it was right to give him permission to speak to them."

Brabin, a former Blackpool midfielder, has been linked with the vacant manager's post at Bloomfield Road.

Brabin has enjoyed a hugely impressive first season at the Abbey following his arrival from Southport last summer.

"Hopefully Gary will show some loyalty to us. We gave him a job when he'd only been in football for five or six games," he said.

"We gave him a huge budget last year, more money than Jimmy Quinn the year before. I just hope he stays around and tries to build again for next year."

Brabin spent big on his way to guiding the U's to the play-off final for the second successive season.

Scott Rendell, Lee Phillips, Andy Parkinson and Phil Bolland are just some of the big names players to have arrived at the club over the past year.

"We've got to run the club as a business and become solvent, we can't have people putting their hands in their pockets every five minutes to bail us out.

"We've got to act as a business and act sensibly. There will be cuts, but we can still push for the play-offs again."

Rolls could not confirm whether or not Brabin would take assistant player-manager Paul Carden with him should he decide to move on, but expects the situation to be resolved within the next few days.

Manager on the cheap, the traditional Reading way? Perhaps Rendell filled him in on our setup?

Or Ferguson on his way from Posh, Babin to take over at Posh?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 May 2009 19:36

That article would suggest he's going to Blackpool.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 18 May 2009 19:41

winchester_royal That article would suggest he's going to Blackpool.

:oops: I've always been crap at proof Reading

But if my reading is correct I'll claim all the "you heard it here first" Brownie Points I can!!!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 May 2009 19:55

Ian Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ian Royal Take a look at Pardew as well. Just before he left us he spent over £1m on two players. Big money for us at the time. The money is there to be claimed, if you want to put your case forward.

True.

And this time it's not money about "big money for us at the time", so we're not talking 1m, we're taling much more. It's even bigger money as we're so much richer and Coppell's untouched millions.

Can't wait.

You could probably reasonably expect to see us fork out maybe £1m - £1.5m each on two players (of course this is dependent on us wanting players at that price and not finding what we want elsewhere, or refusing to pay over the odds if they aren't wort it). Or £2m - £2.5m on one player and a few bargains adding up to no more than about £750k

You're probably right although I'd be very surprised according to what has been said earlier.

If Coppell had millions to spend (on players AND wages) in the Prem as is being claimed (over and above what he did spend as is claimed), then I'm certain there will be more than a mere £3.5million to spend now!!! I would say we'd have even more than then as we're millions richer than we were then with big money player sales, more Prem money in the meantime, and parachute payments since then but I'm not including these extra funds as part/most of them will have gone towards the wage/attendance deficit of this season. Still it means Coppell's supposed millions are still there ready to be used.

Just going by what seems to be common knowledge here that's all.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 May 2009 21:22

Still it means Coppell's supposed millions are still there ready to be used.

No, it really doesn't, honestly.

The world was in a different economic position when he didn't spend the money you believe was available, as was the club. Things are different now and whatever surplus funds you believe were never spent will just be used as part of the overall budgeting process for 2009/10 onwards - there isn't a chance in hell that the board will say to the new manager, "Steve didn't spend £10m of what I would have given him in the last 2 seasons, so you've got that for starters.".

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 May 2009 22:17

I really don't think the Chairman's personal wealth will have any influence on the club's budget.

He has got the club to a position where it is self-sufficient financially and has no intention of chucking any more money in. Equally I don't think he has any intention of taking anything out either.

RFC is being run like a proper business - I'll bet there are a good number of businessmen out there who wish they had taken a leaf out of Madejski's book and not got sucked into the ego-feeding nonsense of financing transfer budgets and player wages out of their own pockets and out of proportion with their club's realistic aspirations.

Oh, but of course, I've got that wrong, it's JM who is the egomaniac isn't it?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 19 May 2009 09:06

Can i just say that I think we all need to look at ourseklves and pull our collective finger out in terms of gathering information about the new manager - there seems to be absolutely no leads whatsoever at present! When Coppell took over we had a couple of well placec sourced who falgged it early - but no one seems to have any idea this time! :wink:

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 19 May 2009 11:46

Only 2 bookies providing odds on next manager (Victor Chandler and Ladbrokes)

Rodgers no longer odds on and the gap between him and Curbishley appears to be closing fast

Brendan Rodgers 6/5
Alan Curbishley 9/4
Eamonn Dolan 8/1
Glenn Hoddle 8/1
Paul Ince 8/1
Aidy Boothroyd 9/1
Gus Poyet 9/1
Alan Pardew 10/1
Jim Gannon 10/1
Dennis Wise 11/1
Paul Tisdale 12/1
David O`Leary 12/1
Iain Dowie 12/1
Paul Jewell 14/1
Lawrie Sanchez 14/1
Peter Taylor 16/1
Tony Adams 16/1
Mark McGhee 16/1
Steve Cotterill 16/1
Roberto Di Matteo 16/1
Mark Robins 16/1
Phil Parkinson 18/1
Jim Magilton 20/1
Ian Holloway 20/1
Glenn Roeder 20/1
Stuart Pearce 22/1
Gary McAllister 25/1
Colin Calderwood 25/1
Darren Ferguson 25/1
Paulo Sousa 25/1
Graeme Murty 25/1
Gary Johnson 28/1
Gary Speed 33/1
Martin Keown 33/1
John Hughes 33/1
Avram Grant 33/1
Steve McClaren 33/1
Jean Tigana 33/1
Gary Peters 50/1
John Salako 100/1

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 19 May 2009 12:02

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 26 Jun 2010 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 19 May 2009 12:14

Ian Royal
You could probably reasonably expect to see us fork out maybe £1m - £1.5m each on two players (of course this is dependent on us wanting players at that price and not finding what we want elsewhere, or refusing to pay over the odds if they aren't wort it). Or £2m - £2.5m on one player and a few bargains adding up to no more than about £750k

SERIOUSLY - You're in a world of your own mate!! Not a fecking chance we would spend money like that.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 May 2009 12:18

It's got to be Curbishley for me.

I'd also be happy with a return for Pardew and Steve Mclaren wouldn't be a bad option either, although getting him would be a long shot.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 May 2009 12:23

I wouldn't be upset if Boothroyd joined as he is a good tactician. But I'm not sure I want his style of football.

McGhee wouldn't be bad either and Martinez could also be a possibility, although with Martinez I'm worried that he might go and sign crap Segunda and Tercera division players out of Spain who he thinks can play in the English Premier League and soon find out that they are not good enough for the Championship either.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 19 May 2009 12:35

Uke Hmmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cambridge_utd/8055111.stm

Cambridge accept Brabin approach

Brabin guided Cambridge to the Blue Square Premier play-off final
Cambridge United chairman George Rolls has confirmed that the club have given manager Gary Brabin permission to enter talks with a Football League club.

The U's lost 2-0 to Torquay in Sunday's Blue Square Premier play-off final.

Rolls told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "We've had an approach from a club much higher than us. I felt it was right to give him permission to speak to them."

Brabin, a former Blackpool midfielder, has been linked with the vacant manager's post at Bloomfield Road.

Brabin has enjoyed a hugely impressive first season at the Abbey following his arrival from Southport last summer.

"Hopefully Gary will show some loyalty to us. We gave him a job when he'd only been in football for five or six games," he said.

"We gave him a huge budget last year, more money than Jimmy Quinn the year before. I just hope he stays around and tries to build again for next year."

Brabin spent big on his way to guiding the U's to the play-off final for the second successive season.

Scott Rendell, Lee Phillips, Andy Parkinson and Phil Bolland are just some of the big names players to have arrived at the club over the past year.

"We've got to run the club as a business and become solvent, we can't have people putting their hands in their pockets every five minutes to bail us out.

"We've got to act as a business and act sensibly. There will be cuts, but we can still push for the play-offs again."

Rolls could not confirm whether or not Brabin would take assistant player-manager Paul Carden with him should he decide to move on, but expects the situation to be resolved within the next few days.

Manager on the cheap, the traditional Reading way? Perhaps Rendell filled him in on our setup?

Or Ferguson on his way from Posh, Babin to take over at Posh?

Blackpool perhaps.

1747 posts