Relegation

1865 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation

by Hound » 18 Aug 2021 12:11

NathStPaul
Notts Royal
NathStPaul We have more than enough going forward to stay up this season, I would be very surprised to see us anywhere near the bottom 3 come next May.

You write that before the Joao injury confirmation?

Relying on 2 academy lads with 3 apps and 1 off the bench, and blunt Puscas is not going to keep us up

We still have enough about us to score goals, providing we keep them fit of course. Losing Joao is a blow of course but Azeez has shown enough to suggest he is comfortable at this level and we also have Ejaria to come back in who I would think Paunovic will be tempted to use as a false 9 should we not be able to sign another striker. We will create a lot of chances due to the likes of Swift and Laurent being in the side and Tom Dele-Bashiru looked very tidy when he came on too.
McIntyre, Moore and Morrison are my concerns at the moment, if we can get them back in form we will be just fine.

Agreed with this

Hoepfully Ovie is as it seems and he’ll be all good to come back in a week or two

Rino, Laurent, Swift, Ovie, Azeez, TDB and Puscas should be plenty enough to get us goals. Wouldn’t say no to another striker though of course

But we’ll struggle to get anywhere if the back line is as terrible as it was yesterday. We genuinely seemed in a state of shock for an hour or more through our own incompetence. No confidence coming forward as we looked so weak behind us

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 18 Aug 2021 12:31

People need to calm down with these relegation shouts. We are 3 games in and I am pretty sure no one has managed to watch every team play already this season and decide we are in the bottom 3.

Yesterday was not great but at least we have goals in this side. We lost because of poor defending and individual errors rather than side’s opening us up. Don’t get me wrong it needs to improve but nothing a bit of work on the training ground won’t fix.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2021 12:54

Hot take:

We look good going forward this season because Ovie isn't slowing down every attack to a walking pace and passing backwards when we're on a break

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Aug 2021 12:59

Snowflake Royal Hot take:

We look good going forward this season because Ovie isn't slowing down every attack to a walking pace and passing backwards when we're on a break

What are your thoughts on playing Ejaria as a sort of false 9 once he is fit? Can hold up the ball and bring others into the game? He has the necessary skill and physical attributes to do it imo. Rather than hold the ball up in a deep position he can hold it up in and around the opponents box.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2021 13:00

NathStPaul

What are your thoughts on playing Ejaria as a sort of false 9 once he is fit? Can hold up the ball and bring others into the game? He has the necessary skill and physical attributes to do it imo. Rather than hold the ball up in a deep position he can hold it up in and around the opponents box.

As far as I'm concerned Ejaria should play behind a striker, competing with Joao, or not at all barring emergency. And Swift is better.

No way he should play up top. He'd get so bullied childline would call him.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Aug 2021 14:18

NathStPaul

Should we consider looking to sell Moore and putting all funds into the wages of Gary Cahill, who is currently a free agent living in Surrey?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Aug 2021 14:27

John Smith
NathStPaul

Should we consider looking to sell Moore and putting all funds into the wages of Gary Cahill, who is currently a free agent living in Surrey?

Good luck with finding somebody to buy him and pay £35k a week.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Aug 2021 16:51

Getthebeerens People need to calm down with these relegation shouts. We are 3 games in and I am pretty sure no one has managed to watch every team play already this season and decide we are in the bottom 3.

Yesterday was not great but at least we have goals in this side. We lost because of poor defending and individual errors rather than side’s opening us up. Don’t get me wrong it needs to improve but nothing a bit of work on the training ground won’t fix.

Is it an overreaction to 3 games? Or is it also an acknowledgement that we have a threadbare squad with big injuries to 2 huge players in Meite and Joao. Once Swift adds himself to the list as per usual we're hugely lacking in attack.

We still have some talented players, but not the depth required to compete over a season. Survival is the only objective this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2021 17:50

John Smith
NathStPaul

We should be moving heaven and earth to get rid of him. We should not be trying to replace him with Cahill. We should not be trying to replace him, but Richards.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Aug 2021 18:10

WestYorksRoyal
Getthebeerens People need to calm down with these relegation shouts. We are 3 games in and I am pretty sure no one has managed to watch every team play already this season and decide we are in the bottom 3.

Is it an overreaction to 3 games? Or is it also an acknowledgement that we have a threadbare squad with big injuries to 2 huge players in Meite and Joao. Once Swift adds himself to the list as per usual we're hugely lacking in attack.

We still have some talented players, but not the depth required to compete over a season. Survival is the only objective this season.

+1 We are a couple of injuries away from being in real trouble. It could change if we can make some good additions to the squad but “good” might be a bit hopeful. This is where we’re at right now and we have to stick by the team and encourage the youngsters.

I like the manager but just feel that for the next couple of seasons we might need someone like Warnock or McCarthy to survive in the Championship.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Aug 2021 22:20

I believe that the owners will stick by the manager but if they didn’t would Gareth Ainsworth be a good appointment?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2021 22:22

blythspartan I believe that the owners will stick by the manager but if they didn’t would Gareth Ainsworth be a good appointment?

Not sure Ainsworth would want to come.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2021 07:59

What experience does Ainsworth have of dealing with big time Charlies like Moore, or finding Championship quality on the cheap?

If we got relegated, him or Parky, fine. But he's operated on a totally different level and set of circumstances with Wycombe.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2021 08:36

Gone very quiet on the transfers front after that burst of excitement last week

Whether we are in trouble or not depends for me on if we can make 3-4 solid additions

If we don’t then yes it’s going to be painful

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Aug 2021 08:55

Zip
blythspartan I believe that the owners will stick by the manager but if they didn’t would Gareth Ainsworth be a good appointment?

Not sure Ainsworth would want to come.

We considered him after Gomes went, if you believe what was reported by a couple of the ITK the club actually met with him. Can't see him wanting to come here after we had turned our noses up at him previously.
He also has a huge buyout clause at Wycombe, can't see us paying it.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Aug 2021 09:06

Snowflake Royal We should not be trying to replace him with Cahill.

Why not? He almost single-handedly kept a dogshit Palace side in the division last season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Aug 2021 09:15

John Smith
Snowflake Royal We should not be trying to replace him with Cahill.

Why not? He almost single-handedly kept a dogshit Palace side in the division last season.

Guess what - he's joining Bournemouth!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2021 09:56

We're not getting relegated. Stoke was a close affair and almost an away draw. Preston we won. City was again only a 1 goal deficit.

We know how to score, even without Joao in the team.

Some of our goals have been ridiculous schoolboy defensive cockups that just need sorting out.

I'll backtrack a bit and say if we don't sort out the zonal defensive bullshit we're going down, but we will.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Aug 2021 10:00

blythspartan
I like the manager but just feel that for the next couple of seasons we might need someone like Warnock or McCarthy to survive in the Championship.

I think Pauno will be fine.

He somehow managed the impossible taking us from 7 points clear at the top of the table to 7 points outside the playoffs with some fantastic relegation form. No mean feat with the squad we had.

Clearly that's where he shines. We'll be fine!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Aug 2021 11:25

Derby got special dispensation to bring in Jagielka and Baldock, why should we be any different with our injury woes?

1865 posts