Ince out!

1204 posts
karbota
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ince out!

by karbota » 06 Mar 2023 22:16

AthleticoSpizz ^Agree, Sir Steve had few restraints to work within, yet took a couple or three years to take us to ‘THAT’ season.

Proud times all British owned, British managed British coached, British players.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Mar 2023 22:41

Millsy Ince supporter here, still appreciate the father&son team. .

Agree - they're our best father and son managerial and player team since Paul and Pelle Clement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2023 22:45

Elm Park Kid
Fezza If we get the 6 point deduction do we remain under EFL embargo? Presumably yes as we won't have met their roadmap out of the sh1te.

If so Ince is proven at achieving above the odds with a very average set of players. Frankly other than Ince JR, and possibly Holmes, none of our contracted players are good enough to be first team regulars in the top ten in the division.

I really can't understand what our fans expect, we are being kept going largely on the willpower of one man and his son.

I'd like Ince to be given a chance to buy in players, with Bowen overseeing, and develop the club, but we're not close to that point yet. We'll need another massive overhaul in the summer, the majority of whom will need to be frees again - all within the constraints which the EFL have set us. Frankly I'm not certain that our fan base is big enough to ever see us get out of the league if spending is tied to gate receipts, unless we can buy and sell like Brentford.

Well, yes, going forward our spending is tied to our revenue. Unless we bring in some amazing accountants/lawyers to get round the P&S rules, the reality is that we are going to be in the bottom third of clubs in the league in terms of what we can shell out. The EFL restrictions we have now are just a structured way of us meeting the requirements. It's like your parents keeping hold of your credit card and only letting you purchasing stuff with their agreement.

We'll get more freedom once the restrictions are over - we can blow £5m on a player or sign someone on £50k a week if we really want to. But the sacrifices we'd have to make with the rest of the squad would make that ridiculous. Inevitably our spending in the summer won't be fundamentally different to what it is now. The owners might roll the dice a little bit, but we'll only have to go back into financial hardship next season if/when we don't get promoted.

Play good football,finish top half a couple of seasons in a row and we'll quickly add 3k to attendances to go back to 16k average and comfortably be middle third revenue.

Delboy

by Delboy » 07 Mar 2023 06:24

Back the boys it’s our only option no good managers out there to take the reins

Fezza

by Fezza » 07 Mar 2023 09:23

Delboy Back the boys it’s our only option no good managers out there to take the reins

The manager is irrelevent. We have neither the squad, nor the ability to get in the squad anytime soon, to challenge the top half of the table or be anything other than makeweights in the constant cycle of the same 6-7 teams swapping places in the leagues above and below us.

To move out of the league will require nurturing academy talent and flogging it for a high price (something the EFL have stopped us from being able to do due to the contract situation) or buying in unknown gems and flogging them (as per Brentford). Given that up until a few months ago we had no scouting network, and we were bumped down to Cat 2, neither seem likely.

Some of our fans are deluded!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Mar 2023 09:34

Fezza
Delboy Back the boys it’s our only option no good managers out there to take the reins

The manager is irrelevent. We have neither the squad, nor the ability to get in the squad anytime soon, to challenge the top half of the table or be anything other than makeweights in the constant cycle of the same 6-7 teams swapping places in the leagues above and below us.

To move out of the league will require nurturing academy talent and flogging it for a high price (something the EFL have stopped us from being able to do due to the contract situation) or buying in unknown gems and flogging them (as per Brentford). Given that up until a few months ago we had no scouting network, and we were bumped down to Cat 2, neither seem likely.

Some of our fans are deluded!

Yeah I'd say we are still a number of years away from getting into a position where we can at least challenge to get out of the league, although I'm just not convinced we are going to do that under our current ownership model.

It's been a fair few years since QPR and Birmingham were crippled with EFL restrictions and look at where both of those clubs are now, QPR only had a flirt with the top 6 last season and then fell away and they are both losing hundreds of thousands on a weekly basis.

The advantage we have is that we have a good academy, but if we have a manager that is reluctant to use that talent (although it's completely understandable at the moment) and an owner that is reluctant to sell, then we won't be replicating the Brentford model.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Mar 2023 11:13

Fezza If we get the 6 point deduction do we remain under EFL embargo? Presumably yes as we won't have met their roadmap out of the sh1te.

If so Ince is proven at achieving above the odds with a very average set of players. Frankly other than Ince JR, and possibly Holmes, none of our contracted players are good enough to be first team regulars in the top ten in the division.

I really can't understand what our fans expect, we are being kept going largely on the willpower of one man and his son.

I'd like Ince to be given a chance to buy in players, with Bowen overseeing, and develop the club, but we're not close to that point yet. We'll need another massive overhaul in the summer, the majority of whom will need to be frees again - all within the constraints which the EFL have set us. Frankly I'm not certain that our fan base is big enough to ever see us get out of the league if spending is tied to gate receipts, unless we can buy and sell like Brentford.

Our fan base is big enough, just a lot of them are plastics and only attend games when we're doing well and most have a second football team like Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal (which I've never understood really). Unless the club is run well and we somehow get some diamonds in that see us challenge at the top of the league and the football improves then I only see those fans staying away.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 07 Mar 2023 11:47

Fezza

The manager is irrelevant.

Well he is. He sets the team up well at home but is a tactical numpty away from home. A lot of responsibility falls on his shoulders for how he sends the players out. You are right though; the team is bare minimum quality for the league, but we are getting results with them (at home). We should be getting more away as well.

On the whole, Ince has done remarkably well here. He saved us last season and may do again, but he isn't a manager than can take us forward once we move away from these embargo's.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Mar 2023 12:11

PATRIQT
Fezza

The manager is irrelevant.

Well he is. He sets the team up well at home but is a tactical numpty away from home. A lot of responsibility falls on his shoulders for how he sends the players out. You are right though; the team is bare minimum quality for the league, but we are getting results with them (at home). We should be getting more away as well.

On the whole, Ince has done remarkably well here. He saved us last season and may do again, but he isn't a manager than can take us forward once we move away from these embargo's.

We don't and probably won't know that last point. Ince may well be setting us up in a "make-do" method. If he is able to actually recruit (or be part of that process) to play a style he actually wants to play, it may be very different. It may not be, but it's impossible to make any judgement based on his time to date.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2023 13:00

Bar a surprise result tonight, I think I have reached the end of being Ince In. Although I'm not Ince out yet.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Mar 2023 17:35

Snowflake Royal Bar a surprise result tonight, I think I have reached the end of being Ince In. Although I'm not Ince out yet.

If we lose a midweek away game against the 2nd place team in the league you're going to want the manager sacked?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Mar 2023 17:41

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid

Well, yes, going forward our spending is tied to our revenue. Unless we bring in some amazing accountants/lawyers to get round the P&S rules, the reality is that we are going to be in the bottom third of clubs in the league in terms of what we can shell out. The EFL restrictions we have now are just a structured way of us meeting the requirements. It's like your parents keeping hold of your credit card and only letting you purchasing stuff with their agreement.

We'll get more freedom once the restrictions are over - we can blow £5m on a player or sign someone on £50k a week if we really want to. But the sacrifices we'd have to make with the rest of the squad would make that ridiculous. Inevitably our spending in the summer won't be fundamentally different to what it is now. The owners might roll the dice a little bit, but we'll only have to go back into financial hardship next season if/when we don't get promoted.

Play good football,finish top half a couple of seasons in a row and we'll quickly add 3k to attendances to go back to 16k average and comfortably be middle third revenue.

Say we do sell an extra 3K season tickets a year. Maybe an average price of about £300 when you consider all the concession ones. Take off the 20% VAT and the club would get £240 from each one - which works out £720k extra a year. That would allow us to bring in exactly one additional free transfer on £10-12k a week (when you consider NI and pension contributions). I don't think that's going to get us where we need to be.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2023 17:44

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal Bar a surprise result tonight, I think I have reached the end of being Ince In. Although I'm not Ince out yet.

If we lose a midweek away game against the 2nd place team in the league you're going to want the manager sacked?

Clearly not.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2023 17:46

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid

Say we do sell an extra 3K season tickets a year. Maybe an average price of about £300 when you consider all the concession ones. Take off the 20% VAT and the club would get £240 from each one - which works out £720k extra a year. That would allow us to bring in exactly one additional free transfer on £10-12k a week (when you consider NI and pension contributions). I don't think that's going to get us where we need to be.

But it would place us firmly in the upper half of average home attendance. We get a decent share of televised games. So we would be in at leats the middle third of revenue, regardless of how much actual money difference it is, and shows we're not actually that badly off in terms of competitive income

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Mar 2023 18:46

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal Play good football,finish top half a couple of seasons in a row and we'll quickly add 3k to attendances to go back to 16k average and comfortably be middle third revenue.

But it would place us firmly in the upper half of average home attendance. We get a decent share of televised games. So we would be in at leats the middle third of revenue, regardless of how much actual money difference it is, and shows we're not actually that badly off in terms of competitive income

Revenue will be a combination of a number of things, including commercial income that we appear to be pretty poor at generating. But, yeah, I guess we would get towards midtable revenue-wise if we could boost our attendance. I guess the bigger issue is that in any season there will always be the teams that have parachute payments putting them completely out of our orbit, and a few others deciding to roll the dice and just go for it. Only being able spend according to our own mediocre income means that will always be a substantial gap between us and 9-10 of the big boys.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 Mar 2023 21:52

Ince out

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 07 Mar 2023 22:44

Rinse Gout

Sutekh