New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Ian Royal » 19 May 2009 18:16

No real surprises. I think most the fans would have him back, but he and the Chairman wouldn't have it

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 19 May 2009 18:59

If Curbs applied sign him up,sod the rest.

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 19 May 2009 19:21

ankeny If Curbs applied sign him up,sod the rest.

+1

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 May 2009 19:30

ankeny If Curbs applied sign him up,sod the rest.

That is the kind of uneducated dross that one expects from football fans.

There is no doubt that Curbs is a great candidate, however NH and the Board have to be sure that he is right for Reading, in terms of his motivations and aspirations.

Would he honestly have the hunger and drive to make us the force that we should be looking to be. He's already proved that he can do it with Charlton, and I would question whether he'd be as motivated as someone like Rodgers who loves the club, and is still striving to prove himself at the top level.

Therefore NH should take his time, and make sure he picks the right man, as one wrong turn and we could end up in the same situation that Charlton currently find themselves in.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 May 2009 21:16

It seems to me that very few managers who have been successful long-term at one club make it again - particularly after a break from management.

I wouldn't have a particular problem with his appointment as he's a decent guy but I somehow doubt Curbishley is right for us.

Rodgers feels right for us.

ROYAL POSTMAN

by ROYAL POSTMAN » 19 May 2009 21:56

Martin Allen please

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 May 2009 22:18

My 'source' tells me that we've narrowed it down to our shortlist now. Should be a decision made in the next few days.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 19 May 2009 23:22

winchester_royal My 'source' tells me that we've narrowed it down to our shortlist now. Should be a decision made in the next few days.

brilliant source narrowed it to how many?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 May 2009 23:28

loyalroyal4life
winchester_royal My 'source' tells me that we've narrowed it down to our shortlist now. Should be a decision made in the next few days.

I think its just the one shortlist

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 May 2009 23:38

Uke
loyalroyal4life

Was there another shortlist. :wink:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 19 May 2009 23:42

royalexile
Uke
loyalroyal4life My 'source' tells me that we've narrowed it down to our shortlist now. Should be a decision made in the next few days.

No, it must have been a longlist.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 May 2009 23:48

Dirk Gently
royalexile
Uke I think its just the one shortlist

No, it must have been a longlist.

Length doesn't matter as long as it's listing

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 May 2009 08:52

So they've filtered out the Championship Manager applications from 'people we know'. It's a start, I guess.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 May 2009 08:57

Okay, people are taking the piss, but I just though I'd share with you what I heard. He wouldn't tell me anything else as they (Board of Directors) are under strict instructions to keep it hush, but apparently all those you would expect to be on it, are.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 May 2009 09:02

Royal Rother It seems to me that very few managers who have been successful long-term at one club make it again - particularly after a break from management.

I wouldn't have a particular problem with his appointment as he's a decent guy but I somehow doubt Curbishley is right for us.

Rodgers feels right for us.

Good point RR, I can't think of many that have done well coming back from a break.

I think so much of it comes down to timing and being the right person for the club as opposed to just the best manager. There are plenty examples of good managers failing and supposedly poor managers (on previous or future failure at least) doing a good job somewhere.

I've said for a few years that I believed Hoddle would be in the mix to replace Coppell. I still think he's an excellent manager but now we need the shake up and a rebirth, as opposed to taking over a pretty settled and balanced squad, I just don't think he's the right fit anymore.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 20 May 2009 09:08

winchester_royal Okay, people are taking the piss, but I just though I'd share with you what I heard. He wouldn't tell me anything else as they (Board of Directors) are under strict instructions to keep it hush, but apparently all those you would expect to be on it, are.

This "Board of Directors" you're talking about - did you know there are only actually two directors of Reading FC, so they're a "board" in legal terms only - and I very much doubt either of them would be leaking.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 May 2009 09:15

I too have reservations with Curbishley or any manager that's been around the block a bit and been out of the game for a while. Curbishley seemed to lose it when having to deal with the 'modern' way that football is run at West Ham. Maybe it's too much of a unique situation to gauge him on, but nowadays it seems a world away from his success with Charlton (which is what I presume we're basing his credibility on? Never quite saw him as being 'that good' myself.)

I feel that if Curbishley or someone of his ilk were to come in, then we wouldn't have needed to get shot of the likes of Downes and Dillon (OK, their contracts were up, so that's moot) but if it's a clean slate then I can only see a new, young manager coming in.

Who knows what our criteria is, but I think being able to move with the times is key for this appointment - going with someone who's done it all before may not be what we're looking for - it wasn't with McGhee or Pardew...Coppell bucked that trend.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 May 2009 09:29

Dirk Gently
winchester_royal Okay, people are taking the piss, but I just though I'd share with you what I heard. He wouldn't tell me anything else as they (Board of Directors) are under strict instructions to keep it hush, but apparently all those you would expect to be on it, are.

This "Board of Directors" you're talking about - did you know there are only actually two directors of Reading FC, so they're a "board" in legal terms only - and I very much doubt either of them would be leaking.

Telling someone that they've narrowed it down to a shortlist is hardly 'leaking information'.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 20 May 2009 09:34

To Be Honest, I havent read through all the posts so I dont know if this has been mentioned but what about Andy Scott at Brentford? Has done a great job this season, has built a strong core of a team, could be an oppurtunity for him. Also, why were KD and Wally not given a chance for the top job?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 May 2009 09:38

Because they are not considered management material one would imagine.

1747 posts