DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by Wycombe Royal » 12 Jan 2011 12:40

Bandini It would have been a terrible signing demonstrating our lack of ambition had we bought him but failing to sign him now is just a disaster and PROVES that Madejski doesn't want us to get promoted. This represents everything that is wrong about Reading Football Club - and all on a day when Madejski is given the Sports Personality Award. You couldn't make it up. I see nothing but doom and despondency for the foreseeable future. I intend to come to the next match just to throw my Member Card at Nick Hammond.

PS Thread title change please from "MORE" to "LESS".

Not sure if serious......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2011 12:41

That's largely a list of players who had form at League One level, or equivalent. What's it got to do with Brett Williams

ooo, ooo, i know, i know!
is it because they were all slagged off on here by some for not being of the required standard/ not enough money/being from lower leagues/showing a total lack of ambition from the club? before theyd even kicked a ball?

what do i win?
Last edited by brendywendy on 12 Jan 2011 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 12 Jan 2011 12:41

It's a typical Baines team board wind up post.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Jan 2011 12:48

Big Foot
Hoop Blah As I said above, my current first choice targets are Jordon Rhodes at Huddersfield or Steve Morison at Millwall. Niether are similar players to Wright-Phillips though so McDermott might have other ideas!
Morison was being lined up by Blackpool towards the end of last summer.

Sources tell me we've been keen on Morison for some time but didn't get him in the summer because of premier league interest. Sadly for him that interest was from West 'am and as a Sarf Landan boy he refused to go there, so he's still up for grabs

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Jan 2011 12:48

ZacNaloen It's a typical Baines team board wind up post.

It's an accurate Baines team board summary tbf

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jan 2011 12:49

brendywendy
That's largely a list of players who had form at League One level, or equivalent. What's it got to do with Brett Williams

is it because they were all slagged off on here by some for not being of the required standard/ not enough money/being from lower leagues/showing a total lack of ambition from the club? before theyd even kicked a ball?

what do i win?

I don't remember anyone really slagging off the signings of Murty, Ingimarrson, Hahnemann or Convey. Kitson was pretty well received too from my memory (especially once you discount the real muppets on here that are just on a wind up or don't have any understanding of the real world, let alone football).

Sonko and Hunt I might give you, and certainly Mooney, Bennett and Sodje....but then that was pretty well founded wasn't it?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jan 2011 12:51

Silver Fox
Big Foot
Hoop Blah As I said above, my current first choice targets are Jordon Rhodes at Huddersfield or Steve Morison at Millwall. Niether are similar players to Wright-Phillips though so McDermott might have other ideas!
Morison was being lined up by Blackpool towards the end of last summer.

Sources tell me we've been keen on Morison for some time but didn't get him in the summer because of premier league interest. Sadly for him that interest was from West 'am and as a Sarf Landan boy he refused to go there, so he's still up for grabs

I'd heard similar stories about our interest in the summer too.

I'd imagine we're priced out now and he'd be more likely to hold on at Millwall for the rest of the season and see how they do. He'll probably have more interest in him then and have more chances to make a proper step up from Millwall.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jan 2011 12:52

As I suspected, there was a reason why other clubs weren't fighting us for the signature of this player who some on here claimed was worth £1M+, and why the market value peaked at our offer of £300K. They were put off by his injury record and now it appears justifiably so.

davis69

by davis69 » 12 Jan 2011 12:53

Probz right about not gettting BWP in because of his knee injury but bloody hell did they take their time about it. Man city took quicker to wrap up Dzeko and he game from another country. if we only sign the williams striker it will be a massive let down. He has only scored five in ten games in the conference soiuth that is not proflic.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2011 12:54

Hoop Blah
brendywendy

what do i win?

I don't remember anyone really slagging off the signings of Murty, Ingimarrson, Hahnemann or Convey. Kitson was pretty well received too from my memory (especially once you discount the real muppets on here that are just on a wind up or don't have any understanding of the real world, let alone football).

Sonko and Hunt I might give you, and certainly Mooney, Bennett and Sodje....but then that was pretty well founded wasn't it?

all of those players were moaned about. not by everyone, but i didnt say that.
and my point was generally about the muppets, so im not going to discount them

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Jan 2011 12:57

Hoop Blah
brendywendy

what do i win?

However, at that point we hadn't been spoiled by a stint in the Premiership and the raising of our expectations.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jan 2011 12:59

If you want to take into consideration people who's opinion is worth the bandwidth it's posted on then you'll always be able to pick up on something daft and unreasonable.

I prefer to ignore the dross and only consider those who can form an opinion and express it (somehow that includes you though brendy!). You should try it, it makes HNA much easier to read!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Jan 2011 12:59

Plymouths reaction - some LOLs to be had at some of their comments about us

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 12 Jan 2011 13:00

brendywendy

what do i win?

Maybe by one or two idiots that expect proven premiership players move to Reading at the peak of their careers.

There is a big difference between a decent League One player with potential and someone who has played non-league football largely without distinction. I'm happy for us to take a punt on him, but if that turns out to be the only strengthening of our front-line then complaints are pretty reasonable.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Jan 2011 13:01

Funny how those who weren't happy with this proposed signing are now citing the fact that he's failed a medical as some kind of victory for their judgement :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jan 2011 13:02

Gordons Cumming However, at that point we hadn't been spoiled by a stint in the Premiership and the raising of our expectations.

The majority of the coherant posters on here are realistic enough to be asking for us to buy Championship standard players though, so I'm not really sure what your point is Gordon?

Who's suggested anyone that would really be outside of a decent Championship clubs grasp? Nobody has said we should be buying Torres or Ronaldo, or even middling Premier League players.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2011 13:02

just saying that maybe, just maybe ,the club knows more than us about these players, and also- that from lower leagues represents zero gamble.

agreed , id like another striker in too though

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jan 2011 13:04

brendywendy just saying that maybe, just maybe ,the club knows more than us about these players, and also- that from lower leagues represents zero gamble.

agreed , id like another striker in too though

Clubs make plenty of mistakes though, so I think it's pretty acceptable for fans to have an opinion on who they think is suitable or desirable for the team pay good money to watch week-in-week-out (or in Ian Royals case listen to on the radio).

It'd be pretty dull round here if we didn't...
Last edited by Hoop Blah on 12 Jan 2011 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2011 13:04

Hoop Blah
Gordons Cumming However, at that point we hadn't been spoiled by a stint in the Premiership and the raising of our expectations.

The majority of the coherant posters on here are realistic enough to be asking for us to buy Championship standard players though, so I'm not really sure what your point is Gordon?

Who's suggested anyone that would really be outside of a decent Championship clubs grasp? Nobody has said we should be buying Torres or Ronaldo, or even middling Premier League players.

id say liegertwood is a good championship standard player.
as is griffin, kish, mcanuff.

+ im sure we'll get some one else in

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 12 Jan 2011 13:08

I'm actually gutted by this and the way in which it was conducted. I woke up this morning expecting to see that we'd signed him. Instead I get this bullshit. :(

934 posts