DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

Re: SPECULATION - Bradley Wright Phillips

by Bandini » 12 Jan 2011 13:14

paultheroyal Chuffed to bits that I called this one right.

Austin was always on the cards but with one million to spend and leigerwood going to cost us 700k, we had to compromise on a striker and considering he is the top scorer in league one this is a great bit of business.

People are moaning about height, but let's be honest, Long is brilliant in the air when played up to him so those extra inches are not needed.

I've never actually come across anyone who said "Chuffed to bits". I thought that it was pretty much confined to Roy of the Rovers strips.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jan 2011 13:18

Bandini

Austin was always on the cards but with one million to spend and leigerwood going to cost us 700k, we had to compromise on a striker and considering he is the top scorer in league one this is a great bit of business.

People are moaning about height, but let's be honest, Long is brilliant in the air when played up to him so those extra inches are not needed.

I've never actually come across anyone who said "Chuffed to bits". I thought that it was pretty much confined to Roy of the Rovers strips.

It can be whatever you want it to be.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Jan 2011 13:20

Shorey medical at West Ham, Tommy Smith Saga.

Bradley Wright Phillips failed medical.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Jan 2011 13:21

Bandini

Is that it?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Jan 2011 13:22

Hoop Blah
brendywendy just saying that maybe, just maybe ,the club knows more than us about these players, and also- that from lower leagues represents zero gamble.

agreed , id like another striker in too though

Clubs make plenty of mistakes though, so I think it's pretty acceptable for fans to have an opinion on who they think is suitable or desirable for the team pay good money to watch week-in-week-out (or in Ian Royals case listen to on the radio).

It'd be pretty dull round here if we didn't...

:lol:

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 12 Jan 2011 13:22

davis69 Probz right about not gettting BWP in because of his knee injury but bloody hell did they take their time about it. Man city took quicker to wrap up Dzeko and he game from another country. if we only sign the williams striker it will be a massive let down. He has only scored five in ten games in the conference soiuth that is not proflic.

Firstly, I'm sure that Dzeko to Man City saga had been going on for weeks - the BWP rumour really only gathered steam on Saturday after McD's comments.

Secondly, why wouldn't they take their time over it? The medical was Monday morning and if everything was normal he'd have been announced that afternoon - a normal transfer in terms of timings. Because of the knee worry we sent him for more tests, and took our time over it because - while many are arguing that £300k is cheap for a good striker - spending £300k plus wages on someone who could spend most of the time on the treatment table (and whose sell-on value will massively deteriorate because in a few years time no-one will pay much for a 30-year old with a knee problem) is stupid. We didn't lose out in taking our time - he even trained with the squad yesterday so would have been better prepared IF the transfer went through. Sadly it didn't (and I'm just as gutted), but in my experience players of 25 rarely fail medicals unless something is really wrong, so I'm sure we had justifiable concerns.

Just be thankful that we're in the market for a striker - being on the verge of signing someone before January is even half way through is progress on most years.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 12 Jan 2011 13:23

NR_Royal I'm actually gutted by this and the way in which it was conducted. I woke up this morning expecting to see that we'd signed him. Instead I get this bullshit. :(
What's wrong with how it's been conducted? We made no noises, we tried to keep it all private. It was Plymouth who blew that side, we tried to do it the Reading way.

We only pulled the plug because there was a genuine likelihood that BWP's fitness wasn't up to the job of playing Championship football most weeks. I'm disappointed that we reached that conclusion, but once the conclusion was reached there was only one decision we could make.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Jan 2011 13:25

rhroyal
NR_Royal I'm actually gutted by this and the way in which it was conducted. I woke up this morning expecting to see that we'd signed him. Instead I get this bullshit. :(
What's wrong with how it's been conducted? We made no noises, we tried to keep it all private. It was Plymouth who blew that side, we tried to do it the Reading way.

We only pulled the plug because there was a genuine likelihood that BWP's fitness wasn't up to the job of playing Championship football most weeks. I'm disappointed that we reached that conclusion, but once the conclusion was reached there was only one decision we could make.

not true- BMcD mentioned him by name after the cup game.
its a perfect demonstration of why its best to conduct things as you mentioned

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 12 Jan 2011 13:25

What, Reading carrying out 'due diligence' on a player and then taking the appropriate action when we confirm that he's a crock? Absolutely, they should be ashamed of themselves!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 12 Jan 2011 13:28

TBM Plymouths reaction - some LOLs to be had at some of their comments about us

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

"£300k for a goalscorer with second division pedigree is peanuts when Reading can sign Emerse Fae and Matt Mills for £5.5m combined. Not to mention the £7m they've had for Sigurdsson"

Tell us about it :(

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 12 Jan 2011 13:30

brendywendy
rhroyal

Plymouth had already spouted off about it by then, he couldn't exactly deny it.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Jan 2011 13:31

TBM Plymouths reaction - some LOLs to be had at some of their comments about us

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

They're not that bad, just some really stupid people on the internetz

Now why does that sound so familiar?

under the tin

by under the tin » 12 Jan 2011 13:32

It just cracks me up how some can immediately dismiss a player because of what his price tag is, or from where he came.
Any of us who have watched the club over a prolonged period of time can affirm that the business of incoming transfers is not an exact science, and skews the argument that the money expended gives a better return on investment over time.
We've had our "cheap successes" like Doyle, Senior, Shaka, Kitson, etc., plucked from relative obscurity.
We've also had "cheap failures" like Bennett, etc.
We've spent (for us) big, and had successes like Murty, Convey, etc.
We've spent (for us) big, and had failures like Moran, Fae, Evers, Asaba, and that bloke from Colchester, whose name escapes me.

There are no hard and fast rules. Charlie Austin is no exception, and could be a big waste of money.
Give the lad Smith a chance before you slag him and the club off, for crying out loud.

davis69

by davis69 » 12 Jan 2011 13:32

Croydon Royal
davis69 Probz right about not gettting BWP in because of his knee injury but bloody hell did they take their time about it. Man city took quicker to wrap up Dzeko and he game from another country. if we only sign the williams striker it will be a massive let down. He has only scored five in ten games in the conference soiuth that is not proflic.

Firstly, I'm sure that Dzeko to Man City saga had been going on for weeks - the BWP rumour really only gathered steam on Saturday after McD's comments.

Secondly, why wouldn't they take their time over it? The medical was Monday morning and if everything was normal he'd have been announced that afternoon - a normal transfer in terms of timings. Because of the knee worry we sent him for more tests, and took our time over it because - while many are arguing that £300k is cheap for a good striker - spending £300k plus wages on someone who could spend most of the time on the treatment table (and whose sell-on value will massively deteriorate because in a few years time no-one will pay much for a 30-year old with a knee problem) is stupid. We didn't lose out in taking our time - he even trained with the squad yesterday so would have been better prepared IF the transfer went through. Sadly it didn't (and I'm just as gutted), but in my experience players of 25 rarely fail medicals unless something is really wrong, so I'm sure we had justifiable concerns.

yes i agree dont sign BWP but brett williams no thankyou hes 24 and never been a proflic goalscorer in the lower leagues, yes sounds like a great player to sign for us not
Just be thankful that we're in the market for a striker - being on the verge of signing someone before January is even half way through is progress on most years.
Last edited by davis69 on 12 Jan 2011 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Jan 2011 13:32

Have we actually said the deal is off because he failed the medical? If so, maybe it's "our" way of telling Peter Reid he shouldn't have opened his gob before it was all completely done (medical included) - doubt anyone will take a gamble on BWP now.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 12 Jan 2011 13:34

brendywendy
rhroyal
NR_Royal

And in fairness to him he doesn't exactly have form in this area - the Ian Harte and Marcus Williams signings came pretty much out of nowhere (regardless of whether they were good signings or not!), and there were very few rumours about the loan deals of Griffin, Zurab or Leigertwood before they joined.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jan 2011 13:35

Hammond:

There are currently some medical issues that prevent us from completing the deal at this time

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Jan 2011 13:36

Royal Lady Have we actually said the deal is off because he failed the medical? If so, maybe it's "our" way of telling Peter Reid he shouldn't have opened his gob before it was all completely done (medical included) - doubt anyone will take a gamble on BWP now.

tbf, It looks like we made a stipulation that once an offer was on the table we didn't want him playing (odd, but there you go) so he had to explain why he was missing from the team.

We'd be asking questions if Long wasn't in the squad on Saturday.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Jan 2011 13:36

Royal Lady Have we actually said the deal is off because he failed the medical? If so, maybe it's "our" way of telling Peter Reid he shouldn't have opened his gob before it was all completely done (medical included) - doubt anyone will take a gamble on BWP now.

There is a website you may be unaware of http://www.readingfc.co.uk

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 12 Jan 2011 13:37

ZacNaloen

I look on this more constructively. I think Reading and Plymouth decided together to talk about it as a done deal, to stop other clubs extending the process with further bids. This suited Plymouth because they needed the money immediately; and it suited us because we wanted to avoid what happened with Tommy Smith.

934 posts