New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by No Hoops » 21 May 2009 10:46

(.)Boobies(.)
No Hoops Text from the club saying

Interest from the highest level both home and abroad. Interviews could start next week.

It's Steve Mclaren

OH SHIT

Could start next week? Nicky Hammond quoted today as saying they have already started. I'm sure I read that.

Text def said could start next week

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 May 2009 11:32

Alan Partridge Jan Poortvliedt or however you spell it maybe?

Good at bringing the youngsters through, good style of play. Had absolutely no resource at Southampton, might fare better at Reading where there is a balance of some resource + good young players. Wasn't he linked with joining the coaching staff at 1 point?

He was an academy coach here prior to going to Southampton

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 May 2009 11:32

4 elements to the new manager process

Getting
Filtering
Seeing
Giving

This week we are mainly filtering, next week we shall be seeing - with overseas interest it could be Juergen Klinsmann...

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 21 May 2009 11:33

Interest from the highest level both home and abroad. Interviews could start next week.

It's Steve Mclaren

OH SHIT

Not Mclaren but Claudio Ranieri :)

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 21 May 2009 11:35

No Hoops
(.)Boobies(.)

It's Steve Mclaren

OH SHIT

Could start next week? Nicky Hammond quoted today as saying they have already started. I'm sure I read that.

Text def said could start next week

Interviews should have already started. It's a joke tbh. Sure, I want them to make the right decision regarding a new manager, but that right decision is BR. If BR doesn't want the job then that's where the problem lies.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 May 2009 11:40

The board are interviewing on the weekend, so I'd imagine Hammond has already talked to all those on his shortlist.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 May 2009 11:42

Rawlie19 Interviews should have already started. It's a joke tbh. Sure, I want them to make the right decision regarding a new manager, but that right decision is BR. If BR doesn't want the job then that's where the problem lies.

Ah yes, the knee jerk "I know the answer and woebetide anyone who clouds the issue with facts" argument. How is life as an ostrich?

On what basis do you assume that 'BR' is the right option when you haven't a clue about the full list of potential applicants let alone what they might bring to the job.

I think that anyone with half an ability in managing a business would disagree with your assertion that the interviews should have started by now. No decently run organisation would rush into such an important appointment without a really good paper sift first to ensure that all the best applicants are invited for interview; that often throws up names that are a surprise and they sometimes win the race.

Just be patient for a while and stop making rash assumptions.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 21 May 2009 11:45

West Stand Man
Rawlie19 Interviews should have already started. It's a joke tbh. Sure, I want them to make the right decision regarding a new manager, but that right decision is BR. If BR doesn't want the job then that's where the problem lies.

Ah yes, the knee jerk "I know the answer and woebetide anyone who clouds the issue with facts" argument. How is life as an ostrich?

On what basis do you assume that 'BR' is the right option when you haven't a clue about the full list of potential applicants let alone what they might bring to the job.

I think that anyone with half an ability in managing a business would disagree with your assertion that the interviews should have started by now. No decently run organisation would rush into such an important appointment without a really good paper sift first to ensure that all the best applicants are invited for interview; that often throws up names that are a surprise and they sometimes win the race.

lol. Says the man who hates every manager we've had (at least while they're there). Have you heard when your interview is going to be? Or have you had a lovely rejection letter?

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 21 May 2009 11:47

West Stand Man

Agreed. I just wish thet'd fcuking hurry up and appoint BR.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 May 2009 11:48

Rawlie19 lol. Says the man who hates every manager we've had (at least while they're there). Have you heard when your interview is going to be? Or have you had a lovely rejection letter?

You unmitigated Prat! Find me one piece of evidence that I have ever said anything derogatory about any of our managers during their tenure and I'll buy you a beer. If anything I might be accused of being a touch oversupportive of all of them at times.

The ONLY one I have ever commented less than positively about (and that was after he left) was Burns.

Change your nappy and crawl off to school.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 21 May 2009 11:50

West Stand Man
Rawlie19 lol. Says the man who hates every manager we've had (at least while they're there). Have you heard when your interview is going to be? Or have you had a lovely rejection letter?

You unmitigated Prat! Find me one piece of evidence that I have ever said anything derogatory about any of our managers during their tenure and I'll buy you a beer. If anything I might be accused of being a touch oversupportive of all of them at times.

The ONLY one I have ever commented less than positively about (and that was after he left) was Burns.

Change your nappy and crawl off to school.

:lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 May 2009 12:34

Saw a thread on KUMB last night that we have approached West Ham about the possibility of talking to Steve Clarke.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 May 2009 12:41

Stranded Saw a thread on KUMB last night that we have approached West Ham about the possibility of talking to Steve Clarke.

Now that would be a very good signing IMHO

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 May 2009 12:46

We should play him at right back

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 21 May 2009 12:53

by Huntley & Palmer on 21 May 2009 12:41

Stranded wrote:
Saw a thread on KUMB last night that we have approached West Ham about the possibility of talking to Steve Clarke.

Stranded Saw a thread on KUMB last night that we have approached West Ham about the possibility of talking to Steve Clarke.

As an assistant maybe. I don't think he has ever managed a club and is one of those 'great assistants' but maybe not cut out for the big job. ala Brain Kidd, Carlos Queros etc etc

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 21 May 2009 13:08

paul tisdale

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 May 2009 13:23

'lista
West Stand Man

Agreed. I just wish thet'd fcuking hurry up and appoint BR.

Perhaps looking less likely now as the EP are suggesting that Hammond is starting off by looking at candidates not currently attached to clubs - very ethical but also saves on 'compensation'. EP also suggests that the new manager may have to sell before he can make any significant changes to the squad. Guess we shouldn't be surprised there as that is exactly what happened at the start of last season, albeit we had the first season of parachute money available. If they are not careful, this summer could see the sale of the rest of the family's solid silver and its replacement with cheap plated foreign imports, some of distinctly questionable quality.

One of the relatively few quotes actually attributed to Hammond confirms that it was he who decided which players to release “It was a difficult week,” he admitted. “I had to have conversations with players who have been an integral part of the history of this football club.

“But myself and Steve had conversations throughout the season, so I had a clear view what direction we were going to take. I spoke with the board and I felt we needed to move things forward as quickly as possible. And it was important the players were told so they could sort out their own futures.”

All very well having a clear view of the direction we were going to take but that was our ex manager's view! The new guy might have thought differently.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 21 May 2009 13:35

Great. All we need to do now approach his club and wait for them to refuse us permission to talk to him. Ignore that request and go back and ask again. Get the same answer. Keep on unsettling him until he decides to resign from his job, appoint him as our manager and enter into a legal dispute and wait for that to be reolved before he can start work...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 May 2009 13:38

Paul Tisdale would be an excellent choice, however I keep getting a horrible feeling that we will get a numpty like Wise or Sanchez.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 21 May 2009 13:53

Whoever comes in is going to have to work on a tight budget relying on developing young talent. Neither of those would be able or prepared to do that. The job is tailor made for Eamonn Dolan particularly if reports that Watford will not release Rodgers are accurate.

1747 posts