956 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Kitson signs for Stoke for £5.5 million

by Platypuss » 18 Jul 2008 17:58

FiNeRaIn
FiNeRaIn
Drew_3 http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~1346893,00.html
what a knob read the bit at the bottom about the fans at stoke!

Why does that make him a knob exactly?

About being called ginger? It doesn't detract from the fact they are loud and passionate.

Indeed. The stick we gave him when he played for Cambridge didn't stop him joining us.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Jul 2008 17:59

maf82 lets hope john doesnt keep all the money again,we need some more players

Soon we will. If we could find clubs for Bennett and Sodje, get Pompey to take Shorey and Sunderland to take Hunt, we could then start a suitable rebuild.

What we need is more quality players, not just whoever McDermott and Hammond find those two jokers have proved their worth on the transfer front in the last couple of years. Absolutely none.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 18 Jul 2008 18:00

howser Good luck to you son, and I cant help thinking that your thoughts will be that you have left a sinking ship, when the hell are we going to hear about strengthening the squad instead of trimming it, alright so some of the signings being made by our champioship rivals might be to say the least a bit suspect at least they are trying to win over the confidence of thier supporters for the coming season, Madejski's comments earlier in the close season about Reading being "comfortable in the championship for the time being" certainly dont spell out that we are trying to get back to the top league, and SSC's comments earlier in the week that he was happy with the squad but thinks it still needs trimming, match that. No wonder that Madejski was over the moon when the manager agreed to stay as I couldn't see anyone else of proven management stature coming here with what is happening at the moment.

why do clubs have to win over the confidence of the fans?coppell said he would not look to invest, and i for one would have been happy to keep the exact same squad.he did however say he would react, therefore i now expect him to do so.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Jul 2008 18:02

Alan Partridge
What we need is more quality players,

:lol: :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Jul 2008 18:02

Sarah Star
RoyalBlue
Sarah Star Awww. Don't. I thought I'd be like that if Kits left, but I'm glad it's over now and we can spend the money on someone else who might turn out to be even better. You just don't know.

On the other hand we might just blow it on some more who turn out to be like Fae!

You just don't know.

That's football.

So maybe it's best to keep hold of the ones you know are good!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 18 Jul 2008 18:03

[quote="Drew_3"][quote="howser"]Good luck to you son, and I cant help thinking that your thoughts will be that you have left a sinking ship, when the hell are we going to hear about strengthening the squad instead of trimming it, alright so some of the signings being made by our champioship rivals might be to say the least a bit suspect at least they are trying to win over the confidence of thier supporters for the coming season, Madejski's comments earlier in the close season about Reading being "comfortable in the championship for the time being" certainly dont spell out that we are trying to get back to the top league, and SSC's comments earlier in the week that he was happy with the squad but thinks it still needs trimming, match that. No wonder that Madejski was over the moon when the manager agreed to stay as I couldn't see anyone else of proven management stature coming here with what is happening at the moment.[/quote]
why do clubs have to win over the confidence of the fans?coppell said he would not look to invest, and i for one would have been happy to keep the exact same squad.he did however say he would react, therefore i now expect him to do so.[/quote]

I agree with you where Coppell said he would react, but he also said he wanted to trim the squad and all the "no longer required" players have left so which comment are we to believe ??

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Jul 2008 18:04

Alan Partridge
maf82 lets hope john doesnt keep all the money again,we need some more players

Soon we will. If we could find clubs for Bennett and Sodje, get Pompey to take Shorey and Sunderland to take Hunt, we could then start a suitable rebuild.

What we need is more quality players, not just whoever McDermott and Hammond find those two jokers have proved their worth on the transfer front in the last couple of years. Absolutely none.

IMO the amount of dross is a direct result of our salary cap rather than paybill cap.

In other words we're allowed to have 4 average players on £10K but not one top quality on £30k

Because the mantra is that if we have one player on £30k, they'd all demand parity.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 18 Jul 2008 18:05

sodje, bennett, and a few others i feel are still surplus

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jul 2008 18:05

RoyalBlue
Sarah Star
RoyalBlue
On the other hand we might just blow it on some more who turn out to be like Fae!

You just don't know.

That's football.

So maybe it's best to keep hold of the ones you know are good!

See Dirk's earlier comment for same rare intelligent thoughts on this point.....

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Jul 2008 18:09

www.readingfc.co.uk There is no sell-on clause to Kitson's former club Cambridge United

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 18 Jul 2008 18:10

RoyalBlue Why, why, why Madejski?
Buy, Buy, Buy, Madejski
So before they come to break down the door
Forgive me Madejski I just couldn't take any more.

QuaLOLity. :)

Fair play to Dave and the team. I wish him well. Hopefully we will swap placed with Stoke next year.

John Peel

by John Peel » 18 Jul 2008 18:11

If Doyler or Lita goes we'll be properly f*cked. Why did the f*ck did we sell Cox!!

I wish Kits all the best. I reckon that even if he hadn't gone he would just have got on with the job and not complained (unlike some). Unfortunately, this may be the first of four (maybe even five) to leave.

Let's face it, Stoke has f*ck all chance of staying up. We might even get him back next season!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Jul 2008 18:22

floyd__streete
www.readingfc.co.uk There is no sell-on clause to Kitson's former club Cambridge United

LOL!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Jul 2008 18:24

Can we all agree at least that this deal shows the club is not willing to sell on the cheap and is actually capable of doing healthy business. As soon as we went down, quite a bit before in fact, it was clear some players were not going to want to be around. It's better to get those players out, as AP has said, and if we can get good money for them then so much the better.

Let's wait and see whether the money gets invested. Remember in the six months after Sidwell left we bought not one but two international midfielders plus an experienced utility player at a total cost of well over 4m. The failure of Fae to have an impact has been a serious blow to the club. If he had lived up to our valuation the chances are we'd now be a Premiership team. Contrary to what some people love to repeat ad nauseam, it has not been the Reading way to buy nobody. We've bought seven figure players five of the last six transfer windows.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: People Talking of 5.5million?

by Southbank Old Boy » 18 Jul 2008 18:26

Roger the Rabbit
FiNeRaIn
I don't know what is more laughable, selling your best players or having a recently promoted championship team showing more ambition than we ever did in the prem. Sickening times.

Isn't someone who measures the 'ambition' of a club solely by how much money they spend even more laughable.

If signing Kitson for £5 million shows such great ambition surely signing the same player for £250,000 shows no less ambition but a hugely greater business sense. Or is it only the price tag that counts ?

I'm catching up with this thread so this might be out of date now but, when we bought Kitson he wasn't at the same as the version of him we've just sold.

Stoke have just bought themselves a centre forward who has proven himself capable of playing in the Premiership and been a consistent scorer in the Championship for the previous few seasons. We didn't buy, or try to buy from my memory, anyone with his recent track record*.

The version we bought had played just two seasons of lower league football and was raw and unproven.

I'm sure you can see the difference really.

* I'll give Brendy Rosenoir as he had Premiership pedigree and experience. Duberry is a bit different as he had been ditched from the Prem and was on his way down, despite having a good season with Stoke when we signed him. He was a cheap panic buy to cover Sonko though so we did ok there.
Last edited by Southbank Old Boy on 18 Jul 2008 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Jul 2008 18:27

Arch We've bought seven figure players five of the last six transfer windows.

And almost all of them have been abject failures.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Jul 2008 18:31

floyd__streete

I'll give you Halford and Fae; Seol doesn't get 'abject' unless you want to completely eviscerate the adjective. But you can't have Lita, Bikey, Matejovsky or Rosenior. Am I missing anyone?

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 18 Jul 2008 18:32

We had money to spend anyway so why does this fee excite people? some people have the blinkers on if they think we will spend anywhere near this figure.

What worries me is that the one player i thought was dedicated to Reading has flown the nest to team who on paper are crap compared to ours. Stoke to be fair to them are showing good ambition by splashing out and offering him a hell of a big pay packet with signing on fees etc.

This transfer shows to me that any of our players could be snapped up by Stoke, Hull and WBA etc, where before i thought it would only be mid table clubs. Stoke will probably come in for 2nds now and nab another one.

We have had FUNDS it has been mentioned on numerous occasions. We have signed absolutely no one and Coppell is waiting for the vultures to sign rather than entering the market. If anyone hasn't realised we have 3 weeks till kick off! YES 3 Weeks!! we got relegated on the 10th May of whenever it was, its now 18th July.

I really hope we spend this money, but to be fair we are showing absolutely no ambition and i would expect teams like Derby to sign players we were competing for due to them actually showing ambiton. Marlon King and Rob Hulse to join them aswell, who are we going to sign? Craig Beattie and Dickson Etuhu or some one in that mold. To be fair though neither have played for Brentford.

Im patient and have stood by Coppell, but i just can't see how this transfer in anyway is beneficial to us seeing as we already had the money in the kitty anyway

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 18 Jul 2008 18:35

Arch Can we all agree at least that this deal shows the club is not willing to sell on the cheap and is actually capable of doing healthy business. As soon as we went down, quite a bit before in fact, it was clear some players were not going to want to be around. It's better to get those players out, as AP has said, and if we can get good money for them then so much the better.

Let's wait and see whether the money gets invested. Remember in the six months after Sidwell left we bought not one but two international midfielders plus an experienced utility player at a total cost of well over 4m. The failure of Fae to have an impact has been a serious blow to the club. If he had lived up to our valuation the chances are we'd now be a Premiership team. Contrary to what some people love to repeat ad nauseam, it has not been the Reading way to buy nobody. We've bought seven figure players five of the last six transfer windows.

LOL i wonder why that is.. M A D E J S K I.

Im glad we are doing healthy business, i look forward to the new statue unvieling

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Jul 2008 18:36

Arch
floyd__streete

I'll give you Halford and Fae; Seol doesn't get 'abject' unless you want to completely eviscerate the adjective. But you can't have Lita, Bikey, Matejovsky or Rosenior. Am I missing anyone?

I'm a Seol fan (da-da-duh da-da-duh) but even I couldn't honetly say that he was an absolute success. Lita has been patchy to be honest, Bikey looks decent but the jury is still out on Matejovsky (I have high hopes, but until he learms to tackle.....) and Rosenior was a swap deal so that is a bit of a red-herring really.

956 posts