Have you ever been attacked at a game?

148 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Have you ever been attacked at a game?

by papereyes » 05 Nov 2010 09:52

Got somewhat 'in the way' at an Oxford United league cup game when the police charged down a concourse. Dad and I found ourselves somewhat obliviously between the police and the people they were trying to move out of the way. What? That includes us? Arse.

Went to a few Oxford games when they played bigger teams in the cup - they played Charlton then Villa one season. In the latter game, the entire concourse got cleared out.

anyway

Swindon away, one season, think we won 2-0. Sat down in the corner by the Swindon fans. Pelted with stuff all game. :|

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Nov 2010 10:11

I was attacked by a Red Kite outside the West Stand, managed to escape with a few scratches.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 05 Nov 2010 10:32

West Brom here an' all - Home game around 2003/2004. Few of their lot appeared at the front of the bus queue giving it the large and one them smashed an innocent Reading fan in the face without any provocation. Naturally that got a few of us a bit fired up and I managed to punch him in the face but he caught me as well. Police quickly dispersed it but comically, they were put on a bus back into town which was in front of a second bus with a few Reading "faces". Cue everyone hopping off at the station and everything kicking off again. Remember a few bits of rubble / bricks being thrown then eventually they got chased up to the Hope Tap.

Also got punched by a Palace fan outside the Proverbial around 2003 as he thought i'd thrown a bottle at him earlier in the day. Managed to get a couple in but would've got a hiding had it not been for a bit of backup that quickly came out of the pub. LOL @ the memory of them being backed off by a flying V board which caught one of them square in the chest!!

Happy days.

Ferris Agreed, until Snowball shows up with some stats as to how Shane Long could beat the fcuk out of all of us.

ALOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Nov 2010 11:28

So where's the 'meet' for tomorrows game?

Walkabout followed by 2000 Real Hoops Convey to the Springbok? :P

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 05 Nov 2010 11:41

got started on by a 65 year old on the bus back into town from Doncaster last year. He explained he hated Reading because we had an out of town stadium and couldn't fill it. I replied it was a but pot and kettle and he went for me. I started laughing at him and the guy i was with, told him to sit the **** back down. HIs family, old father, wife, and kids were all incredibly embarressed. In hind sight, was rather funny

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 05 Nov 2010 12:10

Hit by a coin at a Reading V Millwall game

Kicked outside the ground away to Swindon circa 1978

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 05 Nov 2010 12:44

Had someone being beaten up on the back of my VW Beetle as I queued on the slope up to the Tilehurst Road vs Bristol Rovers in about Feb 83. That was the game where the back wall of the away end was systematically demolished and redistributed in the corner of the South Bank.

Also got a slap on a train from 'Ding to London by a group of Chelsea lowlifes after a match in about 79-81 - quick slap and lost my scarf to one of them but got given someone else's scarf in return - which was an odd way of doing things. To say they were brain dead really is a compliment - one of them was amused for about 20 minutes by the "fact" that the station name "Virginia Water" had the word "virgin" in it .....

Also got a slap at a services up north from Chelsea on while on the the way to watch Derby play at Oldham.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 05 Nov 2010 12:54

Svlad Cjelli Also got a slap at a services up north from Chelsea on while on the the way to watch Derby play at Oldham.

For what reason? Being a Derby / Oldham fan or just a smug git :wink: ?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 05 Nov 2010 13:05

T.R.O.L.I.
Svlad Cjelli Also got a slap at a services up north from Chelsea on while on the the way to watch Derby play at Oldham.

For what reason? Being a Derby / Oldham fan or just a smug git :wink: ?

For being with my m8 who supported Derby and was wearing a scarf. This was just a week or two after absolute carnage at Stamford Bridge when Derby "took" the Shed.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Nov 2010 13:18

As anyone ever been hit by a snowball at a match?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 05 Nov 2010 13:38

No but if Isee Snowball at a match I'll smack him with my fist :twisted:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2010 13:44

Any Nobbers want to own up to being amongst the group of RFC fans who celebr8ed our equaliser at Glandford Park in a 2-2 draw in 99/00 by running across the pitch into the home end, throwing a few punches before skipping back into the away end?

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 05 Nov 2010 14:02

Add me to the West Brom list. We'd lost 3-0 (possibly Shaka's first game) sometime in the early 90s and I got spanked by three fat, moustachioed dole monkeys in their 40s. I was wearing a blue and white beanie with 'Southerners' scrawled on the front in biro, so on reflection, it was probably well deserved.

Fortunately I am as soft as shite, so I think they took pity on me and simply gave up after a bit.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Nov 2010 14:05

Svlad Cjelli Had someone being beaten up on the back of my VW Beetle

Hoolie Rides Again?

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 05 Nov 2010 14:18

handbags_harris Also, my boss, a Birstol Rovers fan, says that they always have trouble with Baggies fans. Something to do with Rovers sending them down in the early 90's.

Ah yes, I was at that game at Twerton Park. West Brom needed a result to stay up, and loads of them had come dressed in togas. Up until kick-off it was a friendly atmosphere, but just before 3, a couple of hundred WBA appeared in the home terrace, making a lot of noise as they moved towards the noisiest section of Gasheads. Absolute mayhem for a couple of minutes. Hundreds spilt onto the pitch, and the home fans suddenly shifted from ambivalence and became desperate to win at all costs. Clearly, the Rovers players felt the same as Carl Saunders launched a thigh-high two-footed assault on a West Brom player and was red-carded in the first minute of the game. Can't recall the final score, but West Brom were indeed relegated that day.

Thinking about it, I've visited roughly 50 league grounds over 36 years and have seen remarkably little going on.

I remember Swansea invading the Tilehurst end in the mid-70s, and will never forget the 5-foot tall lad with ACID written on his forehead in biro. They sure knew a thing or two about being hoolies!

Was at Barry Town for the cup game. My mate (a Bristol Rovers fan) and I burst out laughing when Stuart Beavon's free kick rebounded off the post into the goalie's face and into the net. Locals not amused, and we moved elsewhere a few minutes later. Always remember the Cardiff fans chanting "Kee-ar-diff" in the Pee-orts-muff stylie.

Got chased at Swindon after a cup game, mid-70s. Had lost 4-0. Got pushed by police at Newport late 80s, I think, probably the only time I've had anyone lay a hand on me at a game other than in celebration. Had to duck at Swindon when rocks were being lobbed. Avoided some unpleasantness at Bournemouth in '76 when their lot ran the length of the pitch at half time to get into the Reading fans.

Was at the Portsmouth game in the 70s mentioned earlier, but sat safely in the North Stand. Was on the South Bank v Bristol City the day Terry Cooper tried to calm things down and got twatted by a Reading fan (Cooper, not me). Stood in the away section at Aston Gate for a number of Bristol derbies, and seen coins and fireworks flying through the air, but no-one ever seemed to get hit.

Saw fisticuffs on the South Bank against Bradford City, late 70s. A Reading fan who I'd been to school with walked into the middle of 20 or so, and said, "All right lads?" and they all jumped on him.

Vague memories of dodging trouble at Hendon (Cup game, Friday was injured, we lost) and Wealdstone (Cup game) and even Wycombe (Cup game when they were Southern League).

At the MadStad against Bournemouth (last game of season, the year we lost the play-off against Walsall), an AFCB fan started celebrating their first goal in the upper NW corner and got descended on by several Reading fans. My mate stepped in and explained he was an off-duty plod, so the Reading lads moved off and the AFCB laddie disappeared a bit sharpish. Turned out the bloke in front of us was an off-duty copper as well, so the Bournemouth fan led a charmed life that day.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Nov 2010 15:22

Wycombe Royal As anyone ever been hit by a snowball at a match?

ex-Wolves striker Derek Dougan once got booked for throwing a snowball at some kid that booed him.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 05 Nov 2010 15:50

Saw fisticuffs on the South Bank against Bradford City, late 70s. A Reading fan who I'd been to school with walked into the middle of 20 or so, and said, "All right lads?" and they all jumped on him.

Vague memories of dodging trouble at Hendon (Cup game, Friday was injured, we lost) and Wealdstone (Cup game) and even Wycombe (Cup game when they were Southern League).

Clear memories of this lot East Grinstead. Back in the day when the likes of Mick Large, Paddy O'Connor, Alan Warren and Steve Kirby were around.:wink:

zummerset

by zummerset » 05 Nov 2010 18:24

the majority of posts are Reading fans getting beaten up and doing naff all about it..if someone punched me (and they have) they wouldn't be feckin laughing about it a minute later. an eye for an eye mtherfcker

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 05 Nov 2010 18:28

Bound to be a bit of trouble at QPR when we end their unbeaten run.. would like to see some reading fans giving it back as well.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Nov 2010 18:56

zummerset the majority of posts are Reading fans getting beaten up and doing naff all about it..if someone punched me (and they have) they wouldn't be feckin laughing about it a minute later. an eye for an eye mtherfcker

Well aren't you the hero :roll:

The reality is that the aggressors usually win fights, not the victims. Better reading these memories (which I'm sure are all true) rather than 6 pages of macho posturing.

148 posts