Madjeski fans

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Madjeski fans

by who are ya? » 18 Aug 2011 15:21

RoyalBlue Another club sold!

Perhaps Madejski should have a word with Flavio and Bernie to find out how it's done.

So you would rather the club tart itself to different owners and sell to a man whose statement of intent is to offer £4million for Scott Parker :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Aug 2011 15:29

This is the fine upstanding Malaysian businessman / supposed West Ham Utd fan who, a month or 2 ago, announced on Twitter that he had made a bid to buy the Hammers?

I suspect, whatever this guy's wealth, SJM would prefer dealing with someone with a little more class.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 18 Aug 2011 15:36

[quote="Wax Jacket"]we'll miss Madejski when he's gone

-local chairman
-an executive who've been with the club for years - from the 3rd tier to the Prem and now firmly established in the top half of the Ch'ship - consistently getting top-10-inRFC-history-finishes
-a succession of players from our Academy, some of whom go on to greater things, some whom are now established members of the club
-undreamt of cup runs in the last few years

we should be careful what we wish for - when JM takes his hand off the tiller things could start getting rocky very quickly. the least we can do is to afford him the time to find the right person to take over; he's earned it.[/quote]

+1

Cypry

by Cypry » 18 Aug 2011 15:44

It's one thing I think we can be very grateful for, that it appears that SJM will not sell to any old buyer, rather he's stated he wants someone to keep the "soul" of the club....

Anyone who was at Leicester at the weekend would have seen the worst side of what it could mean if he just sold to the highest bidder:

Tasteful portrait of owner on front cover of programme looking like the messiah.
Dodgy pre-match and half time entertainment (some kind of Thai dance troupe at one point).
An excellent selection of beers (well, the IPA wasn't bad) supplemented by Singha (eugh).....
Big screens hardly showing any of the game / scores / clock, rather focussing on "Visit Thailand" commercials throughout the whole game.
Big name manager who it seems doesn't have a clue how to manage a Championship side
Group of overpaid, prima donna, players who have no idea how to play as a team....

and most importantly, disgruntled fans everywhere.....they were bad enough with their moaning on Saturday, I can only imagine what they were like when Bristol beat them last night....

I know SJM can be a bit "unusual", but I really do believe that he has the best interests of the club at heart. As for his little trips onto the pitch, I'm not even convinced that he's "lapping up the adulation" as much as thanking the fans for supporting the club (in his mind anyway). I can't believe that someone of his status really sees RFC as a self promotion vehicle...

As for him being "comfortable" in the Championship, I don't believe that for a minute - his exit strategy is surely to get to the Premiership, where he's far more likely to get a suitable offer for the club which meets his valuation. How could he possibly benefit from staying in the Championship?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 18 Aug 2011 15:46

I have been critical at time of the chairman for not making modest investments in the team, at critical times recently when potential promotion could be had, but at least we don't have to read articles like this about Reading FC;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/18/hull-city-terminate-bullard-contract

So overall I don't have a problem with how the team is being run, but I wish when opportunity does knock we would at least try to open the door.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2011 16:14

brendywendy thought day to day business decisions were made by howe
day to day football business decisions made by hammond
day to day football decsions made by BM

how the money we bring in is spent is purely a feature of how the business is set up and runs.
if howe wanted to suddenly change what is spent on any one of those areas i reckon he probably could,

.......as long as he could justify it to his boss.

JM and howe may make decisions, but they are based on the budget, not the other way round. shirley.

Setting budgets isn't a day to day BAU decision though is it? It will most probably be a major board level discussion on an annual basis. Although Howe does handle the running of the business I would imagine Madejski has a major input into how they're balanced.

I can't make a lot of sense out of the rest of what you say as you start talking in riddles...

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 18 Aug 2011 16:15

Are we still on this? Wowzer.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 18 Aug 2011 18:18

There will be a couple of guys up here that will be looking for a new club to waste their money on soon! :wink:

With them will come an overpaid, over rated manager.
£12 million worth of average championship players
some beautiful new scoreboards that ignore the game and concentrate on the white sand beaches of their home country.
The small matter of the match of football that now plays some part in the overall circus of the day.

and the over powering weight of expectation that takes away the fans enjoyment of football even further.

Of course it is always nice to see some big names play in a Reading shirt...... and we do, just at the start of the career. We are making some of them the bigger names that they now are.

I'm not 100% pro Madejski but until the absolute ideal buyer comes along he is so much better than many of the other options (see above)

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 18 Aug 2011 18:44

friday fan I read alot on here and post only sparingly. I have been a poster for a while under my current addy and under a previous addy. Whilst I can appreciate a good and open debate I find myself admist a number of seemingly pro Madjeski fans who quite basically berate and abuse non Madjeski posters. I would have thought for the good of constructive football debate that those pro Madjeski supporters who berate and abuse members on this board would just realise there was life pre Madjeski and everyone has a point of view. The world would be boring if we all agreed but people don't need to stoop to abuse or bullying when replying to posts.

The moderators might want to consider monitoring this and start to do something about this.

Now onto Madjeski, love him or not he is the Chairman. Personally I rejoiced when he took over but sadly he has lost his way. I'm not about shelling cash out for over rated players, I am for living within a budget, I am for giving the fans reasonable hope and I am not for slating the current chairman but I do have a view and my view is the sooner the club is sold then the better, I'm sure Madjeski echos that sentiment.

I'm not sure if the range of the pro Madjeski posters are juvenilles looking for a cheap wind up and therefore use that as some kind of perverse entertainment, if that is the case then I say move on and get off this site. For too long I have seen posters blatently slating and abusing points of views. All I want is a site like this to debate RFC matters, not to see the drivel that people dish out just because they can do (the moderators dont seem to do anthing).

I'll leave this for comment and debate.

Good post - the problem with Reading fans on here is they make far too much noise on here and not enough in the stadium where it matters!! - doesn't matter whether they are pro or anti whatever, they can hide behind the anonymity of a half-arsed quickly thought up pseudonym and say what they like about who they like, we all support the same team don't we?. The vast majority wouldn't say the proverbial 'boo to a goose' if you met them at a match, or in a pub I'll bet (if they're old enough to into one!), - I know there are a few that most definitely would and, in the 7 years I have lived in Reading and supported the local club, have spoken to many fans that do, passion is one thing but there is a fine line between that and outright verbal stupidity & abuse of others.

Granted, this is a medium for letting off steam about our team etc. and in a way the anonymity is all part & parcel but it is abused by some, in a way it could be compared to road rage, you know the type...the five knuckle shuffle salute out the window at you but when you happen to pull up behind him in the same car-park they 'aint quite so vocal.............well I'm 16 stone & 6'1'' so maybe it's slightly different for me - maybe not such a good analogy but you can see what I mean I hope.

And for the record I'm pro JM

P.S Before it's mentioned I don't use a pseudonym- I am from Scotland originally and the name I use is part of my surname, my full name is Torquil Hamilton Hengist McDogzbollox

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Aug 2011 19:07

:lol: Not bad, db, not bad at all.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Aug 2011 10:45

dogzbollox Good post - the problem with Reading fans on here is they make far too much noise on here and not enough in the stadium where it matters!! - doesn't matter whether they are pro or anti whatever, they can hide behind the anonymity of a half-arsed quickly thought up pseudonym and say what they like about who they like, we all support the same team don't we?. The vast majority wouldn't say the proverbial 'boo to a goose' if you met them at a match, or in a pub I'll bet (if they're old enough to into one!), - I know there are a few that most definitely would and, in the 7 years I have lived in Reading and supported the local club, have spoken to many fans that do, passion is one thing but there is a fine line between that and outright verbal stupidity & abuse of others.

Granted, this is a medium for letting off steam about our team etc. and in a way the anonymity is all part & parcel but it is abused by some, in a way it could be compared to road rage, you know the type...the five knuckle shuffle salute out the window at you but when you happen to pull up behind him in the same car-park they 'aint quite so vocal.............well I'm 16 stone & 6'1'' so maybe it's slightly different for me - maybe not such a good analogy but you can see what I mean I hope.

And for the record I'm pro JM

P.S Before it's mentioned I don't use a pseudonym- I am from Scotland originally and the name I use is part of my surname, my full name is Torquil Hamilton Hengist McDogzbollox

Also for the record, I've sat next to you a couple of times in the East Stand (Y24/25) and I like your style!!! I can vouch for the fact that you DO make a lot of noise! (in a positive way of course)

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 19 Aug 2011 11:13

dogzbollox 7 years I have lived in Reading and supported the local club

Plastic :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Aug 2011 11:44

dogzbollox
friday fan I read alot on here and post only sparingly. I have been a poster for a while under my current addy and under a previous addy. Whilst I can appreciate a good and open debate I find myself admist a number of seemingly pro Madjeski fans who quite basically berate and abuse non Madjeski posters. I would have thought for the good of constructive football debate that those pro Madjeski supporters who berate and abuse members on this board would just realise there was life pre Madjeski and everyone has a point of view. The world would be boring if we all agreed but people don't need to stoop to abuse or bullying when replying to posts.

The moderators might want to consider monitoring this and start to do something about this.

Now onto Madjeski, love him or not he is the Chairman. Personally I rejoiced when he took over but sadly he has lost his way. I'm not about shelling cash out for over rated players, I am for living within a budget, I am for giving the fans reasonable hope and I am not for slating the current chairman but I do have a view and my view is the sooner the club is sold then the better, I'm sure Madjeski echos that sentiment.

I'm not sure if the range of the pro Madjeski posters are juvenilles looking for a cheap wind up and therefore use that as some kind of perverse entertainment, if that is the case then I say move on and get off this site. For too long I have seen posters blatently slating and abusing points of views. All I want is a site like this to debate RFC matters, not to see the drivel that people dish out just because they can do (the moderators dont seem to do anthing).

I'll leave this for comment and debate.

Good post - the problem with Reading fans on here is they make far too much noise on here and not enough in the stadium where it matters!! - doesn't matter whether they are pro or anti whatever, they can hide behind the anonymity of a half-arsed quickly thought up pseudonym and say what they like about who they like, we all support the same team don't we?. The vast majority wouldn't say the proverbial 'boo to a goose' if you met them at a match, or in a pub I'll bet (if they're old enough to into one!), - I know there are a few that most definitely would and, in the 7 years I have lived in Reading and supported the local club, have spoken to many fans that do, passion is one thing but there is a fine line between that and outright verbal stupidity & abuse of others.

Pretty fair assessment of some and, of course, entirely accurate in stating that (with the exception of our welcome Tractor Boys and Hornets visitors) we all support the same team. However, there are some exceptions. I make plenty of noise in the stadium - one of our less able stewards once told me off for shouting too loudly! In the past, I also have communicated personally with my bête noire to let him know my views on some of the policies he has adopted in running 'the business'. I try not to be abusive or indulge in personal insults towards anyone (on occasions, when pushed, I have failed :oops: ) as a) I think it is wrong and b) does nothing to advance the argument/debate.

friday fan

by friday fan » 19 Aug 2011 11:56

DB good post and on the whole decent posts by all - this is what I set out to achieve and demonstrate that constructive discussion is good. Nne of us right always but we do have one thing in common, our support for RFC. Lol about Leicester, I'd hate for us to be in their position and at the moment shows that money aint buying them the season, at least not just yet ;)

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 19 Aug 2011 15:50

M-U-R-T-Y
dogzbollox 7 years I have lived in Reading and supported the local club

Plastic :wink:

Plastic is kinda in my make up I guess - where I come from I don't know anyone from the Govan or Parkhead areas of Glasgow but I know loads of Rangers & Celtic ''supporters'' Finerain are you reading this? LOL