170 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: back from the game- cardiff

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2011 14:21

FiNeRaIn
melonhead tbh im sure the team are quite glad if "fans" like you stay away

What would they know or care?
I'm sure royalee would be happy if players like the current one's stayed away and we actually had some good one's like a few seasons ago. People that got the ball on the deck, passed it around and created great goals to watch.

im not going to listen to a man who thinks McD is shit, and coppell is the worst manager ever
and i take your comments with a pinch of salt cos youre the gloomiest man ever.

ill also take some comfort from the fact that youve both said all this shit for the last two(twenty?) seasons too.

though i agree- we arent ritght at the moment, but we are building, and getting better, we are a striker/midfielder finding form, or a new player away from progressing up the league,
imo of course.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Nov 2011 14:27

melonhead
thats better passing from the back, and ball retention than since shorey left imo
tbh im sure the team are quite glad if "fans" like you stay away

Firstly, no it isn't. Secondly, given that Madejski's only motivated by money, he'd rather as many fans went as possible - but then I guess he has the catch 22 of still having gullible moron average Reading fans lining up to pay for his asset stripping cash cow. I doubt the players or management give a toss whether I turn up or not, but then again I don't really care for most of them at the moment. Yesterday summed up everything which is bad with RFC - crap football (didn't Brian Clough once say if God wanted football to be played in the air he'dve put grass up there?), overpaid toss like Kebe looking disinterested and tripping over the ball and a rubbish atmosphere to match.

I used to go home and away for years in League 1 and enjoyed games far more than I have done recently - for all the pies he ate at least Caskey could pass a football and we used to create chances and showed ambition. It's downright depressing to see a club with our potential stagnating with a chairman who no longer gives a toss and a yes man running out of ideas picking the team.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2011 14:30

Royalee
melonhead
thats better passing from the back, and ball retention than since shorey left imo
tbh im sure the team are quite glad if "fans" like you stay away

Firstly, no it isn't. Secondly, given that Madejski's only motivated by money, he'd rather as many fans went as possible - but then I guess he has the catch 22 of still having gullible moron average Reading fans lining up to pay for his asset stripping cash cow. I doubt the players or management give a toss whether I turn up or not, but then again I don't really care for most of them at the moment. Yesterday summed up everything which is bad with RFC - crap football (didn't Brian Clough once say if God wanted football to be played in the air he'dve put grass up there?), overpaid toss like Kebe looking disinterested and tripping over the ball and a rubbish atmosphere to match.

I used to go home and away for years in League 1 and enjoyed games far more than I have done recently - for all the pies he ate at least Caskey could pass a football and we used to create chances and showed ambition. It's downright depressing to see a club with our potential stagnating with a chairman who no longer gives a toss and a yes man running out of ideas picking the team.

tedious, odious

other words ending in ious

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Nov 2011 14:43

Maybe...but also truthful.

We may as well put a pitch in the sky because thats only how we are interested in playing these days. A far cry from when Brian first took over. Worryingly he's obviously doubted himself at some point and has started playing crap football instead of the values he had when he took over which was quick balls along the deck to the wingers or strikers and we got some good goals from that. I think part of the change is down to the asset stripping as well and that madejski is removing the ball players as they fetch the most money or cost the most to retain.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2011 14:51

rubbish,and makes me happy that i have chosen to generally ignore everythinbg you say

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Nov 2011 15:44

RoyalBlue
royalsroyalsroyals92 don't know what to make of it.
performance wasn't poor but we just don't have the quality in delivery to feed any of our strikers.
dying for some creativity in midfield, Jem shows passion but has a poor final ball, and i don't even know what we can say about ledge at the moment. Really off the ball. Would be interested to see one of them being dropped for maybe Ian Harte. Could perform a Robbie Savage-esque role like at Derby, providing good passes and good balls, operating quite defensively as well.
Shame it seemed as if the ref did spoil the game a lot today.
Got to do better

So many of us can see that so why can't the bald one or is it that Madejski won't finance tackling that issue?
Maybe he can see it, but we don't have that type of player in the squad and until the transfer window opens he can't do anything about it, assuming funds are available.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Nov 2011 15:55

FiNeRaIn Maybe...but also truthful.

We may as well put a pitch in the sky because thats only how we are interested in playing these days. A far cry from when Brian first took over. Worryingly he's obviously doubted himself at some point and has started playing crap football instead of the values he had when he took over which was quick balls along the deck to the wingers or strikers and we got some good goals from that. I think part of the change is down to the asset stripping as well and that madejski is removing the ball players as they fetch the most money or cost the most to retain.

What a load of utter nonsense you talk sometimes.

Madejski tried to get our football to be more pleasing on the eye when he hired Rodgers, we didn't start too well and then all the idiot STG's starting calling for him to go.

Madejski is acting in what he believes to be the best interests for the long term stability of our football club. Sadly this means we can't go out and spend a load on players, wages etc. We have to live within our means, so there will be some bad times, but under McD we have more often or not been succesful.

So stop being a bore and just accept that Madejski has to worry about the money side otherwise we'll end up like Plymouth.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Nov 2011 16:00

Forbury Lion
RoyalBlue
royalsroyalsroyals92 don't know what to make of it.
performance wasn't poor but we just don't have the quality in delivery to feed any of our strikers.
dying for some creativity in midfield, Jem shows passion but has a poor final ball, and i don't even know what we can say about ledge at the moment. Really off the ball. Would be interested to see one of them being dropped for maybe Ian Harte. Could perform a Robbie Savage-esque role like at Derby, providing good passes and good balls, operating quite defensively as well.
Shame it seemed as if the ref did spoil the game a lot today.
Got to do better

So many of us can see that so why can't the bald one or is it that Madejski won't finance tackling that issue?
Maybe he can see it, but we don't have that type of player in the squad and until the transfer window opens he can't do anything about it, assuming funds are available.

So Reading have been banned from taking players on loan?

under the tin

by under the tin » 20 Nov 2011 16:01

Nothing to do with Brian. I'm no party loyalist, mate, but the change in style of play is totally down to the current performance levels of the wide players.
We don't have a plan B. We don't have a creative midfielder.
And an off form McAnuff/Kebe are still better (in the manager's eyes) than the back up wide players in the squad.
It's a lack of strength in depth.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 20 Nov 2011 16:02

winchester_royal

Madejski tried to get our football to be more pleasing on the eye when he hired Rodgers, we didn't start too well and then all the idiot STG's starting calling for him to go.

Madejski is acting in what he believes to be the best interests for the long term stability of our football club. Sadly this means we can't go out and spend a load on players, wages etc. We have to live within our means, so there will be some bad times, but under McD we have more often or not been succesful.

So stop being a bore and just accept that Madejski has to worry about the money side otherwise we'll end up like Plymouth.

Because, of course, so many clubs that aren't doing a Madejski have ended up like Plymouth! I suppose if the Madejski fan club keep screaming wolf frequently enough, one will eventually turn up. Perhaps he would be better served worrying a little less about how he performs when the tv cameras show up and a little more about the quality of football on display.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 20 Nov 2011 16:04

melonhead
DOYLERSAROYALER
melonhead
yeah we could have taken a punt on a striker from lower division who scores plenty, but had a knee so dodgy our doctors and insurers thoght was too much of a risk
get over it

Nothing to get over BWP >> ALF....Hunt...Church...Manset.....even with a dodgy knee :wink: ......anyway Melonhead you seem to be confident with our current striking options so lets see if they come good......

im not confident with them at all you doofus. i think we are short in that area, and that we should probably bite the bullet and ship out church in jan and get someone good.
i do think its probably more to do with the service, as i thought hunt looked good yesterday, and that alf just had a bad one.

im not having BWP being nailed on success at this level either, though im sure hes better than church. im sure Bm may believe so otherwise, but if your doctors, and insurers say the knees too much of a risk, then im not sure what he was supposed to do

Yet another set of doctors and insurers felt differently. That would suggest that insurance was available from at least one insurer but Sir Budget didn't want to stump up the premium.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Nov 2011 16:11

My first game of the season, mainky due to health reasons. The most glaring difference from last year is exactly what a number of posters have said - absolutely no creativity from central midfield. Quite how the dimutive Hunt and Le Fondre are supposed to score from a continued diet of balls over the top is beyond me. They must have neck-ache from continually scanning the skies for a pass. Leighterwood was possibly our worst player, and a shadow of last season. Reminded me of Cisse at his worst. I donlt think this team can accommodate both him and Karacan in the same role. Not enough variety.

I thought McAnuff and Kebe were ok at times, although both flattered to deceive on too many occasions. Kebe falling over the ball when he had run half the legth of the pitch and entered their penalty area actually made me laugh out loud, and McAnuff has a propensity for dribbling into cul-de-sacs, withough looking up for an offload pass.

Central defence seemed solid enough, although we did concede twice so there must be room for improvement there. Not convinced by Cummings or Mills. Adequate I suppose, but a bit too much running around like headless chickens really. Mills' delivery form corners is woeful. I think he took about 12 corners from the left, and practically all of them were cleanly caught by their keeper in the 6 yard box under no pressure. I thought I counted 1 corner out of 18 where we actually threatened their goal. Simply not good enough, and this is a constant theme throughout the last few years.

Sad to say, this is a mid-table team at best. Worse, I can't actually see how it can improve without new faces. The established players like McAnufff, Leighterwood, Gorkss and Hunt are not going to get any better. Pearce, Karacan, Federici have probably reached their best. Kebe's off. Which leaves Le Fondre, Mills and Cummings. Mills does seem to have improved a little, (assuming reports of his shite-ness at the start of the season are to be believed), and Cummings is a different player from early last season, but is unlikely to make a similar change for the better this season. Le Fondre is finisher, but without a supply line he is totally wasted.

Our reserves don't seem to have it in them to force their way into the team. HRK, Church, Manset are on the fringes, but have had opportunities without seeming to take them. The likes of Antonio and McCarthy have been farmed out for loan experience, whilst we seem to have ditched Morrison, Howard and Tabb. De'Ath and Obita might need to be given bench time, as currently we just don't have anyone seriously threatening the status quo. Oh well, maybe the January transfer window will come to our rescue? (Yeah right!!!!)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Nov 2011 16:19

RoyalBlue
winchester_royal

Because, of course, so many clubs that aren't doing a Madejski have ended up like Plymouth! I suppose if the Madejski fan club keep screaming wolf frequently enough, one will eventually turn up. Perhaps he would be better served worrying a little less about how he performs when the tv cameras show up and a little more about the quality of football on display.

Sheffield United made a pre-tax loss of 13m last year. And most other clubs in the Championship are following the same strategy as we are.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2011 16:29

RoyalBlue
Forbury Lion
RoyalBlue

So Reading have been banned from taking players on loan?

:roll:

have done before, and will do again, we have onbe on pur books right now
but mcd wont do it uless they are a good player that improves the squad, and there is a chance of getting them permenantly
which i like

we do have howard- but hes singularly failed to produce that creativity on anything like a regular basis when playing

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2011 16:32

RoyalBlue
winchester_royal

when will you eedjits realise its nowt to do with whether other clubs want to do it, and survive without going out of business, or not.
its mainly about himn not having tehcash to front us any more, and us "having" to make do with the money we bring in ourselves, at least until some random nutter comes along who wants to throw his own money down the drain
Last edited by melonhead on 20 Nov 2011 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2011 16:32

RoyalBlue
melonhead
DOYLERSAROYALER
Nothing to get over BWP >> ALF....Hunt...Church...Manset.....even with a dodgy knee :wink: ......anyway Melonhead you seem to be confident with our current striking options so lets see if they come good......

im not confident with them at all you doofus. i think we are short in that area, and that we should probably bite the bullet and ship out church in jan and get someone good.
i do think its probably more to do with the service, as i thought hunt looked good yesterday, and that alf just had a bad one.

im not having BWP being nailed on success at this level either, though im sure hes better than church. im sure Bm may believe so otherwise, but if your doctors, and insurers say the knees too much of a risk, then im not sure what he was supposed to do

Yet another set of doctors and insurers felt differently. That would suggest that insurance was available from at least one insurer but Sir Budget didn't want to stump up the premium.

or brian felt that the premium was way too much for some unproven player, with a buggered knee.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Nov 2011 16:39

winchester_royal
Sheffield United made a pre-tax loss of 13m last year. And most other clubs in the Championship are following the same strategy as we are.

They spent substantially more than us when they went up and sold a far lower value in players after they went down - http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/Transfers

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Nov 2011 16:45

Royalee
winchester_royal

They spent substantially more than us when they went up and sold a far lower value in players after they went down - http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/Transfers

Exactly. Which is why they made a 13m loss and we didn't. Unless you're suggesting we should be aiming for that? :shock:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Nov 2011 16:48

winchester_royal
Royalee
winchester_royal

Exactly. Which is why they made a 13m loss and we didn't. Unless you're suggesting we should be aiming for that? :shock:

Given they had a year less of TV money plus they went down to League 1, plus they kept a lot of their Premier League squad for longer than we did, plus they splashed out money on James Beattie, Ched Evans and others, one would hope the difference to be more than £13 million with all the players we've sold...

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 20 Nov 2011 16:52

They had £20 million after the Tevez affair as well.

I haven't a clue what you are arguing about, but I just thought I'd chip in.

170 posts