Jason Roberts signs 18-month contract

166 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jason Roberts signs 18-month contract

by West Stand Man » 26 Jan 2012 19:40

PieEater I was a bit underawed with this signing until I thought : any striker in this division > Church.

In fact my 3 legged cat > Church

So from that point of view it has to be an improvement on what we have.

Try eating something other than pies. Brainfood and a bit of vitamin A to improve the vision might be a start.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Jan 2012 19:42

For the avoidance of doubt to people who say I always moan. I am very, very happy with this signing. Power, pace, brain, experience and scores goals. yes he's 33 but I think the contract length is perfect for both parties. If our wingers can produce some form he'll have a field day, but he better not bother with intelligent runs through the middle as he won't be picked out by elwood, tabb or karacan. His gameplay is get the ball....spray it out wide and pile into the box.

jazz

by jazz » 26 Jan 2012 20:27

rfc2001 This is a very clever signing, Roberts is down to earth and im sure he's hungry!!

Hungry is one thing this man is not!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 26 Jan 2012 20:38

jazz
rfc2001 This is a very clever signing, Roberts is down to earth and im sure he's hungry!!

On what basis do you believe that?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Jan 2012 20:47

cmonurz
jazz

On what basis do you believe that?

29 goals in 150apps?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 26 Jan 2012 20:54

In the Premier League, in a struggling team. And what does that have to do with his appetite for the game?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Jan 2012 21:12

This is a good signing in my opinion and I think either Hunt or Alf will work well along side him.

Although a while ago I can still remember him destroying us when Bristol Rovers played us here in 1999 - although Cureton got the goals Roberts was awesome that day.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 26 Jan 2012 21:19

I've a hunch Roberts isn't ready to start against Bristol. In his interview on Reading Player he came over to me as straight and honest--except when he was asked if he was ready to play against City, when I thought his body language belied his positive reply. I'd bring him on as a late sub, to start bedding him in.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 26 Jan 2012 21:20

FiNeRaIn For the avoidance of doubt to people who say I always moan. I am very, very happy with this signing. Power, pace, brain, experience and scores goals. yes he's 33 but I think the contract length is perfect for both parties. If our wingers can produce some form he'll have a field day, but he better not bother with intelligent runs through the middle as he won't be picked out by elwood, tabb or karacan. His gameplay is get the ball....spray it out wide and pile into the box.

But he might be picked out by Cywka.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 26 Jan 2012 21:38

loyalroyal4life 29 goals in 150apps?

His record in the PL isn't impressive, but he's a proven goal scorer in the Championship and below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Roberts_(footballer)

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 26 Jan 2012 23:51

FiNeRaIn For the avoidance of doubt to people who say I always moan. I am very, very happy with this signing. Power, pace, brain, experience and scores goals. yes he's 33 but I think the contract length is perfect for both parties. If our wingers can produce some form he'll have a field day, but he better not bother with intelligent runs through the middle as he won't be picked out by elwood, tabb or karacan. His gameplay is get the ball....spray it out wide and pile into the box.

I agree. Bit underwhelming at first but he should be exactly what we need.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 27 Jan 2012 00:11

Relatively pleased with this, providing we aren't paying him too much.

Echo the sentiments of those who call for a Roberts-ALF partnership, hopefully the perfect foil for ALF.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Jan 2012 02:45

I really am not excited by this. I'm thinking another Shaun Goater or Les Ferdinand stiching the club up for a big final pay day before he hangs up his boots.

Cypry

by Cypry » 27 Jan 2012 05:56

Jackson Corner I really am not excited by this. I'm thinking another Shaun Goater or Les Ferdinand stiching the club up for a big final pay day before he hangs up his boots.

Not so sure - he obviously wasn't staying at Blackburn, and location seemed to appeal to him. Like he says his charity is in NW London, and his family are down here. Might just be that this move works for him on a whole bunch of levels - can't see us massively busting the pay structure on this..

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 27 Jan 2012 07:22

Great signing!

He's something different to what we've got so will be refreshing to have another option. Agreed that he'll bring out the best from the other lads, not only while playing big man to the likes of Alf, but also passing on his wisdom and experience off the pitch.

The contract issue at Blackburn, as mentioned previously, was all that was keeping him out of the side (same with Selgado I believe). There is no doubting his experience and credentials, and six years at a Prem club is a long stretch these days so not to be sniffed at.

Lastly, and most importantly, he won't rock the boat. We are where we are now not because of any stand out individuals (and Christ do we all know that), but rather as a result of the collective effort and positive mentality of the team. Roberts comes across as a genuine and humble guy, with a stand out personality. The work he's done for charity sets him apart from many a modern footballer and it's nice to see despite our newfound wealth we're still signing players that fit the Reading mould!

I'm genuinely excited! At worst, even of he's the next Les Ferdinand, he brings alot more to the dressing room and to the club than just his footballing talent. At best he could prove to be the missing piece in the jigsaw!

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 27 Jan 2012 07:32

He's something different - somebody who might be able to hold up the ball and spread it wide to the wingers, or maybe even win the ball. It should help leFondre, Hunt or Church. I can't see him producing a whole 90 minutes on Saturday though - perhaps he can come on as sub to win the game.

The great thing is that our excellent midfield pairing and Pearce, whose distribiution always looks good, will finally have a centre forward to pass to. It must be very frustrating constantly playing balls to the strikers and seeing them lose it instantly.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Jan 2012 09:21

:lol:

yay

also- maybe cwfka could supply some of those kliller balls you require

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Jan 2012 09:28

facaldaqui I've a hunch Roberts isn't ready to start against Bristol. In his interview on Reading Player he came over to me as straight and honest--except when he was asked if he was ready to play against City, when I thought his body language belied his positive reply. I'd bring him on as a late sub, to start bedding him in.

I'd not risk him at this stage. Probably take a few weeks to see how fit he is, loan him out to a League One club for the rest of the season, then get him to work on his fitness this Summer, then probably try him in a League Cup game sometime next season.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Jan 2012 09:34

Seen a few of the academy guys tweet they they think it's a great signing. He should be great role model for them and they'll probably look up to him as well. They should follow his example both on the the training pitch and in his dress sense IMO.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Jan 2012 09:55

Kaspars Gorkss Only thing brighter than the sun this morning is Jason Roberts smile.:)wonderful.

:? :lol: :lol:

166 posts