Premier League squad rules & how they may affect us

283 posts
urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: Brian

by urz13 » 26 Apr 2012 19:33

Big Ern
urz13 Yes but I think we need another winger. I didnt see the interview ao not sure what was or wasnt said.

Start of the thread mate where it says "5 Signings"

Kind of suggests there will be 5, even if you believe we need another winger, somehow I dont think your éxcitable opinion will have any bearing on Reading FC´s transfer policy.

This is a discussion board. My opinion is that we need to sign another winger in addition to the positions mentioned by myself and others... McDermott will hardly have been told that he can sign no more or no less than 5 players...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Apr 2012 19:35

urz13
Big Ern
urz13 Yes but I think we need another winger. I didnt see the interview ao not sure what was or wasnt said.

Start of the thread mate where it says "5 Signings"

Kind of suggests there will be 5, even if you believe we need another winger, somehow I dont think your éxcitable opinion will have any bearing on Reading FC´s transfer policy.

This is a discussion board. My opinion is that we need to sign another winger in addition to the positions mentioned by myself and others... McDermott will hardly have been told that he can sign no more or no less than 5 players...

Sure and you are welcome to your opinion. Just a bit daft to say 6 when the Manager of the Club has said stated 5.

Basingstoke-Royal

Re: Brian - new signings

by Basingstoke-Royal » 26 Apr 2012 19:48

urz13
Basingstoke-Royal I would like to see us sign Whittingham and Bertrand/Clyne. Whittingham could step in for Kebe who is a bit to inconsistent for the prem but would be a good impact sub. That way we would be defensivley stronger without loosing out on set pieces as Whittingham's set pieces are awesome

Disagree re: Kebe. He'll have more time on the ball and should only have one defender on him in the prem so won't be forced into bad decision as often. He's improved greatly since his last time in the prem too.

Good Point

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 26 Apr 2012 19:49

I know, but I think we need the 5 positions stated and a winger on top. Of we're only going to make 5, then so be it. But IMO we need six.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Apr 2012 20:02

urz13 I know, but I think we need the 5 positions stated and a winger on top. Of we're only going to make 5, then so be it. But IMO we need six.

I for one am glad that BMcD is managing the team and NH is managing the transfers rather than you.

In them I trust

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 26 Apr 2012 20:05

Franchise FC
urz13 I know, but I think we need the 5 positions stated and a winger on top. Of we're only going to make 5, then so be it. But IMO we need six.

I for one am glad that BMcD is managing the team and NH is managing the transfers rather than you.

In them I trust

So you are happy that if Kebe or McAnuff were to be injured, then HRK could cope suitably? Or if bothe were injured at the same time? What about if any of Harte, Cummings, Pearce/Gorkks, Karacan/Leigertwood and Roberts/Hunt/ALF became injured? You are confidentbthat we have adequate cover for each position as well as out wide? :roll:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Apr 2012 20:13

urz13
Franchise FC

In them I trust

So you are happy that if Kebe or McAnuff were to be injured, then HRK could cope suitably? Or if bothe were injured at the same time? What about if any of Harte, Cummings, Pearce/Gorkks, Karacan/Leigertwood and Roberts/Hunt/ALF became injured? You are confidentbthat we have adequate cover for each position as well as out wide? :roll:

I believe that 5 additions would cover a significant proportion of those positions - or have I missed something ?

I'm not sure I understand how you've jumped from me questioning your assertion that we need 6 to criticising me for suggesting that 5 may be enough. You make it sound as if I wouldn't support any additions. :roll: - yourself

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 26 Apr 2012 20:25

Franchise FC
urz13 [quote="Franchise FC"I for one am glad that BMcD is managing the team and NH is managing the transfers rather than you.

In them I trust

So you are happy that if Kebe or McAnuff were to be injured, then HRK could cope suitably? Or if both were injured at the same time? What about if any of Harte, Cummings, Pearce/Gorkks, Karacan/Leigertwood and Roberts/Hunt/ALF became injured? You are confident that we have adequate cover for each position as well as out wide? :roll:

I believe that 5 additions would cover a significant proportion of those positions - or have I missed something ?

I'm not sure I understand how you've jumped from me questioning your assertion that we need 6 to criticising me for suggesting that 5 may be enough. You make it sound as if I wouldn't support any additions. :roll: - yourself[/quote]
It would cover a significant proportion yes, and as I said I think we need 6 signings rather than 5. As I also said, I would like 5 in the positions already mentioned plus a winger. I'm not sure how that justifies your first comment, which was hardly 'questioning my assertion'. Maybe I was too quick to jump on your comment too but let me assure you I am not meaningfully criticising your ideas but rather questioning whether 5 would be enough.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 26 Apr 2012 22:29

McDermott said three or four last week, clearly changed his mind

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2012 05:55

A throw away comment stating 5 really shouldn't be taken as gospel on the number we'll actually sign. Not only is there a long time to go until the season kicks off, and we won't know who might attract interest from elsewhere etc, but McDermott has often said one thing and done another. That's football.

Sometimes far too much is read into what these people say.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 27 Apr 2012 06:06

Big Ern
Basingstoke-Royal Reading manager gives his views on a possible return for Gylfi. Story going up tomorrow.

In the papers tomorrow apparently

Probably will be along the lines of "Would love him back but will end up going to a top 6 side if he moves at all."

We have a winner. More "great" journalism from JF. The ultimate copy and paste hack.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... _preseason

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Apr 2012 06:45

So in summary, he is linked with anyone we mention on this forum!

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 27 Apr 2012 08:05

Handsome Man I hope that's the maximum: Three first teamers and a bit of cover would be good.

I want to see the Reading team I supported last year in the Prem, not a whole new team.

Exactly, they won promotion, so deserve a crack the the premiership.
Notice how both norwich and swansea kapt their squads pretty much the same and are mid-table while QPR made wholesale changes and are struggling to gel.
I think mullins and connolly would be great signings. Good cover without expecting a starting place.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 27 Apr 2012 08:22

marcusopp
Handsome Man I hope that's the maximum: Three first teamers and a bit of cover would be good.

I want to see the Reading team I supported last year in the Prem, not a whole new team.

Exactly, they won promotion, so deserve a crack the the premiership.
Notice how both norwich and swansea kapt their squads pretty much the same and are mid-table while QPR made wholesale changes and are struggling to gel.
I think mullins and connolly would be great signings. Good cover without expecting a starting place.

The Norwich & Swansea "keeping their their squads the same" thing is a fcking myth, which as Reading fans we should be embarrassed to be associated with. Sort of sh1te your mate down the pub who watches Utd on the telly would come out with.

Norwich summer signings

James Vaughan
Steve Morison
Elliott Bennett
Ritchie De Laet
Bradley Johnson
Anthony Pilkington
Kyle Naughton
Daniel Ayala

Swansea summer signings

Vorm
Graham
Routledge
Lita
Bessone
Moreira
Situ
Tremmel

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2012 08:32

You just have to buy players that don't mess up the team dynamic, and add a bit of competition.

5 players seems reasonable, but we need to let go the same amount imo, our squad is huge and the ones that aren't developing players we still see a future for at the club, need to be released.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2012 08:36

Tbh, with the kind of precedent that Brian has set when talking to the press, I don't think we should believe a word he says for the next 3 months.

I'm sure he knows the areas that need adding to if we are to avoid relegation, but he's hardly going to come out and say he needs to add a fair amount of quality because a) it'll get other clubs to hike up their prices, and b) it will piss off the current squad.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2012 08:39

"We're not looking at Adam Le Fondre"

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Apr 2012 08:57

Core will be players from this squad but i'd still expect three first team regulars to come in over the summer, plus more.

I foresee quite a few departures too - massive squad this season and anyone that isn't likely to cut it at the top may as well move on now.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2012 09:02

ZacNaloen "We're not looking at Adam Le Fondre"

"I'm happy with the squad"

10 days later - Brings in Roberts, Cywka and Connolly

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2012 09:05

"We can't afford Gylfi" :?

283 posts