Scapegoat of the week Award thread

185 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Scapegoat of the week Award thread

by Ian Royal » 19 Sep 2012 17:46

leicsRoyal We'd have given ourselves a lot better chance.

My personal opinion is that we are no where near strong enough at the moment for this league and we will probably need to collect some bonus points against the higher sides before January.

Is Tottenham at home that much harder than WBA away?

Yes.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 19 Sep 2012 17:47

Ian Royal
leicsRoyal We'd have given ourselves a lot better chance.

My personal opinion is that we are no where near strong enough at the moment for this league and we will probably need to collect some bonus points against the higher sides before January.

Is Tottenham at home that much harder than WBA away?

Yes.

Agreed, if you play like the away side when you're at home.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 19 Sep 2012 18:59

The bookmaker odds would suggest different IR.

Tottenham were 2.12, WBA are 1.83

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2012 00:06

Harte has been a shocking left back ever since he's joined, cost us the playoff final and cost us in other games too. Oppositions have found us out ages ago.

But then he's given us more points than he's cost us with his excellent deliveries which is why he's still in.

BUT that's all very well when your playing championship sides without Lennon, and when you're playing attacking football most of the time but when you're in the Prem and you decide to play predominantly defensively and are playing right wingers who are likely to eat Harte for breakfast, it's not a good plan. If we want to play 4-5-1 defensively even at home then we NEED a fats decent left back who can actually defend. Otherwise keep him at LB and do what we do best : attack.

Cypry

by Cypry » 20 Sep 2012 07:01

I do think that Harte's been singled out a bit unfairly here.
Yes, he was rinsed for pace by Lennon for their first, but the closest player to Lennon as he started his run was actually McAnuff who made no effort to track the run at all, and can be seen stood stock still gawping as Lennon puts his cross in...

For their second, Harte tracks Lennons run into the centre, with Jobi supposedly tracking Walker as he goes for the byline. Jobi stands off and allows him to get the cross in...

For the third, I'm not sure why Gorkks isn't getting more stick for being out-muscled by Defoe to lose the ball in midfield...

No, Hartes set pieces weren't up to the high standard we've come to expect, and no, defensively it wasn't his best game, but glue? Nope - that's way wide of the mark....

None of the starting XI had a good game IMO, whether it was the long break, or perhaps some distraction to do with the Federici situation. Whatever, with such a poor TEAM PERFORMANCE, I don't think you can single out an individual player, and as such, if you have to blame someone, then the buck has to stop with McD....

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 20 Sep 2012 09:02

Facts have nothing to do with a good scapegoating. If his face doesn't fit, tough luck

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Sep 2012 09:47

Cypry I do think that Harte's been singled out a bit unfairly here.
Yes, he was rinsed for pace by Lennon for their first, but the closest player to Lennon as he started his run was actually McAnuff who made no effort to track the run at all, and can be seen stood stock still gawping as Lennon puts his cross in...

For their second, Harte tracks Lennons run into the centre, with Jobi supposedly tracking Walker as he goes for the byline. Jobi stands off and allows him to get the cross in...

For the third, I'm not sure why Gorkks isn't getting more stick for being out-muscled by Defoe to lose the ball in midfield...

No, Hartes set pieces weren't up to the high standard we've come to expect, and no, defensively it wasn't his best game, but glue? Nope - that's way wide of the mark....

None of the starting XI had a good game IMO, whether it was the long break, or perhaps some distraction to do with the Federici situation. Whatever, with such a poor TEAM PERFORMANCE, I don't think you can single out an individual player, and as such, if you have to blame someone, then the buck has to stop with McD....

think its totally fair tbh

its not like things are being made up.
plenty of other people goty stick too. including gorkss getting outmuscled by a midgett, and mcarthy passing the ball to defoe in the area
mcanuff has been roundly slated too.
its not just the fact his pace was seriously found out- to a certain extant thats to be expected vs a very fast team.
its also the fact that on top of this his defensive play and positioning was poor, and he offered worse than nothing going forward, and his free kicks and corners were actually appalling.

im sure he will sort it out, or mcdermott will.
im pretty sure he will be being as hard on himself as we are

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2012 13:30

Te whole team was awful, but it's his constant slow pace that gets found out in almost every game that makes him a liability.

If you want to terrorise Reading, attack on the right side. No brainer.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Sep 2012 18:21

2 world wars, 1 world cup Te whole team was awful, but it's his constant slow pace that gets found out in almost every game that makes him a liability.

Don't be silly, it's all part of the plan. Gorkss drops into position to cover for him, leaving a hole in the middle that Pearce and Gunter in turn shuffle across to fill (if they can get there in time) leaving a gaping hole on the other flank. No problem, all part of our strong defensive plan.

At least that's what I recall I was told a while back when I said Harte's pace caused us a nightmare with the defence frequently losing its shape to cover for him.

Davezk

by Davezk » 20 Sep 2012 20:09

When 4 players are getting taken out on a throw in, we know we're in trouble.

I'd find it hard to single out players against Spurs because all over the pitch we were naive. Hoping we step it up vs. WBA.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Sep 2012 22:05

2 world wars, 1 world cup Harte has been a shocking left back ever since he's joined, cost us the playoff final and cost us in other games too.

Hallo, this is planet Earth calling. Which far away galaxy are you from?

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Sep 2012 06:46

West Stand Man
2 world wars, 1 world cup Harte has been a shocking left back ever since he's joined, cost us the playoff final and cost us in other games too.

Hallo, this is planet Earth calling. Which far away galaxy are you from?

Indeed - maybe this post is what Feds was referring to in his short memories comment......

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Sep 2012 06:49

Ian Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Te whole team was awful, but it's his constant slow pace that gets found out in almost every game that makes him a liability.

Don't be silly, it's all part of the plan. Gorkss drops into position to cover for him, leaving a hole in the middle that Pearce and Gunter in turn shuffle across to fill (if they can get there in time) leaving a gaping hole on the other flank. No problem, all part of our strong defensive plan.

At least that's what I recall I was told a while back when I said Harte's pace caused us a nightmare with the defence frequently losing its shape to cover for him.

Erm, what games have you been watching?

Gorkks drops out wide, and Harte drops inside, quite simple, very effective (well, effective enough for us to win the Championship last year) and has nothing to do with Pearce, Gunter, or gaping holes on the right......

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 21 Sep 2012 13:33

For me it is Brian McDermotts decision to play 451 at home, it showed spurs too much respect. At home we should be playing 442, get stuck into them and impose our game on the opposition.

I guess Brian liked the 451 from the chelsea game, but all we did against spurs was to match their formation and as they have better players it was always going to be struggle.

Hopefully BM wont do it again when we are at home.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 21 Sep 2012 13:38

I think Harte should be the scapegoat again at West Brom.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 21 Sep 2012 13:50

Handsome Man I think Harte should be the scapegoat again at West Brom.

I've got to think whats best for the thread but you're prolly right

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Sep 2012 14:04

Cypry
Ian Royal

Erm, what games have you been watching?

Gorkks drops out wide, and Harte drops inside, quite simple, very effective (well, effective enough for us to win the Championship last year) and has nothing to do with Pearce, Gunter, or gaping holes on the right......

He's been watching the same games as the rest of us. This happens all the time and is a liability. As I say in teh Championship when the rest of the team is so awesome going forward and we play attacking football it may not be so much of a problem and Harte contributes to those free kicks too. But when you're in the Prem, against the best managers and best right wingers in the world and you're no longer the big attacking fish in the division but have to resort to playing 4-5-1 and defensively a lot of the time you absolutely need a watertight defence and this basic school team tactic of central defender covering a slow left back is a HUGE liability. When Gorky is covering Harte who's there in his place? Harte if he gets there in time? And he's as good as Gorky in CB is he? HUGE LIABILITY. I predicted this at the playoff final against Swansea to my mates and lo and behold wave after wave of attacks down our left. It's needs sorting ASAP.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 21 Sep 2012 14:14

Cypry Erm, what games have you been watching?

Except that we are always very, very, vulnerable to a ball played over the defence to a spare man arriving late at the far post - our defence does move across as a unit, and always leaves a gap behind them.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 22 Sep 2012 16:57

not sure who gets the award this week. Pogs and Legs were pretty poor

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 22 Sep 2012 17:11

Ledge....Passed the ball To West Brom more than he did to us

185 posts