Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by paddy20 » 08 Feb 2014 20:06

SPARTA Re: McAnuff. His set-pieces are absolutely dire, and it's not like that's breaking news either. If Guthrie isn't in the side, surely someone else can take the free-kicks and corners? Obita seems to take them if it requires a left foot in-swinger, but he would also be a better bet than McAnuff for a left foot out-swinger. McAnuff is bloody awful from set-pieces!

Thought Macanuff had a bad game today. I just wish he would score a goal! As a midfielder surely he should get at least 5/6 goals a season? When did he last score? Still better than Kanu though!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Feb 2014 20:07

Wycombe Royal
jumpers for goalposts Floyd has taken a hell of alot of of stick on this thread, and whilst he is a miserable git, I can't say I disagree with any of the key criticisms he makes.

Adkins should not be trying to deflect the heat onto the officials for one of the most obvious red cards you'll ever see. No options at all for the ref other than sending him off. Pathetic from the manager

The endless long balls to Pog were also tactical ineptitiude at its best. Stick Blackman on straight away if that is how we were trying to get back in the game. Hell, stick my 89 year old grandmother up top and see if she can win a flick on. Better chance of that than Pog doing anything in the air

Finally- McAnuff; one of the worst displays I have seen in ages. Mis placed every single pass, fluffed every single cross, and shouldn't have emerged for the second half. Another tactical mystery from Adkins

One of the most obvious reds you'll ever see? You obviously haven't attended many games then. Firstly was their contact? Pearce says no and I thought not at the time. Secondly Gorkks was back their as well so Pearce was not the last man in my opinion. So I completely disagree with you view on that incident.

It wasn't even the most obvious red of the game ! That was the one where their 19 (?) kicked Obita and somehow the officials decided it was just a yellow !
For Pearce to have got a red it had to be a clear goalscoring opportunity. I haven't seen the incident except in real time when it happened but my perception was that the player didn't have the ball under control, the ball and player were heading across the area, not towards goal and there were 2 defenders converging on the ball. Being the 'last man' is a red herring, it's not a red card if he last man brings a player down and you can still get a red card if you are not the last man. But from my one viewing I don;t think it was a CLEAR goalscoring opportunity which usually means the player would have been in a position to shoot on goal if he had not been fouled. If I ever see the incident again I may find I am wrong....

Over all the referee was one of the most consistent I've seen. I don;t mean that in a good way...

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:08

jumpers for goalposts Their player was through on the keeper so what has Gorkss got to do with it? Gorkks was a few yards behind the play

This is the bit that gets me from Adkins;

'Okay, the referee gives a penalty, but there's no way it should have been a red card'

If it was a penalty then it has to be a red card. Why doesn't he just say I didn't think it was a penalty? Making a cheap excuse for a piss poor error from one of his players who must do better. Pearce is not a particularly good footballer, so his positional play has to improve. Ivar ingimarsson was a classic case of a limited player making the most of what he had by excelling at positional play. Perhaps Pearce could learn from this example

It doesn't have to be a red card if he gives a penalty!

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 08 Feb 2014 20:08

Starting to believe that even a play-off spot is pie-in-the-sky. I just hope I'm wrong!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Feb 2014 20:09

Agree Wycombe. Thought Gorkss was close enough to mop up. But as has already been said, Pearce should have let the guy shoot and let McCarthy do his stuff

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2014 20:11

Turns8
retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Not wrong there mate...Adie got abit rattLOLed.... :mrgreen:

Hear it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qq63b from 32mins...

Heard this at the time.
Who the oxf*rd are the youth players he's banging on about, "Jamie Butler, Ben Cashley and that Belgian lad Mike Van der Velberg.
That Vanders is on the verge of the Belgian World Cup team." :?

Adie Williams then seems to give Nige credit for the emergence of players like Karacan, Church, Sig, HRK and McCarthy.

Not sure who was thicker tbf.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:12

Ian Royal Can't fault the effort, but you could tell it wasn't going to go our way when both ALF and Pog failed to score when you'd expect them to and then Pearce got himself.sent off stupidly.

Thought we picked the second best ball too often and were too direct. We were at our best driving through midfield. Very sloppy passing at times and some poor crossing. All in all though I thought it was a pretty good showing for 70 minutes with 10 men.

I thought ALF's miss was more a case of superb keeping from Kirkland.

McCarthy shouldn't have conceded the second. But then he shouldn't have been able to stop that early second half shot.

Another day and we'd have won that comfortably.

Big Hec debut away against QPR? Baptism of fire.

I agree with all of this especially the comments on Kirkland.
I'll add I don't think it was a red card for Pearce although he was shocking for pretty much all of his 10 minutes. Akpan was poor today in my opinion too. Worst ref I've seen in ages.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:12

P!ssed Off
Turns8
retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Not wrong there mate...Adie got abit rattLOLed.... :mrgreen:

Hear it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qq63b from 32mins...

Heard this at the time.
Who the oxf*rd are the youth players he's banging on about, "Jamie Butler, Ben Cashley and that Belgian lad Mike Van der Velberg.

Adie Williams then seems to give Nige credit for the emergence of players like Karacan, Church, Sig, HRK and McCarthy.

Adie certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Feb 2014 20:13

urz13 Not sure why Adkins dropped McCleary to right back when McAnuff could've done a job there leaving McCleary to carve out chances like usual. Questionable tactics after the red card, and lots and lots of hoofball. Again. Most of the players stopped trying after half time

Wednesday changed their shape after the break, pushing two up front, meaning we had to keep more players back, which in turn made it harder for us to get forward as they were able to control midfield more.

I do think we were too slow to react to this though, and by the tie it was 2-0, it was game over.

Had it stayed 11 v 11 I'm confident we'd have got at least a point.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:14

EarleyRoyal16 Poor poor game.

Pearce got turned for pace a countless amount of times in just 10 minutes, red card could be a blessing for the next 3 games, Hector getting his chance.

Alf and Pog both really wasted good chances in the first 10 minutes, should have been 2-0 up before the pen.

Credit to Adkins for going for it, ended the game with (sort of) 4 strikers on the pitch.

There isn't much we can do when down to 10 besides lump it forward, especially when our most creative player is forced to drop to Right Back.

One game unless we appeal the red card and lose.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Feb 2014 20:14

jumpers for goalposts Floyd has taken a hell of alot of of stick on this thread, and whilst he is a miserable git, I can't say I disagree with any of the key criticisms he makes.

Adkins should not be trying to deflect the heat onto the officials for one of the most obvious red cards you'll ever see. No options at all for the ref other than sending him off. Pathetic from the manager

The endless long balls to Pog were also tactical ineptitiude at its best. Stick Blackman on straight away if that is how we were trying to get back in the game. Hell, stick my 89 year old grandmother up top and see if she can win a flick on. Better chance of that than Pog doing anything in the air

Finally- McAnuff; one of the worst displays I have seen in ages. Mis placed every single pass, fluffed every single cross, and shouldn't have emerged for the second half. Another tactical mystery from Adkins

Some of your comments might have been sensible but your assertion that McAnuff 'mis-placed every single pass' is, of course, complete and utter b*llocks and therefore throws doubt on the rest of what you say. Will wait till I see a replay to see whether it should have been a red or not but again your assertion that it was one of the most obvious you'll ever see is nonsense.

Adkins might have been better deflecting heat on the officials for their appalling failure to give Maguire a straight red for the way he hit out and kicked Obita right in front of them.

The endless long balls to Pog didn't start until part way into the second half when perhaps (not surprisingly) the players were knackered having run so much in the earlier part of the game. And, even then, do you really think Adkins told the players to adopt that tactic?

peterroyal76
EarleyRoyal16 Poor poor game.

Pearce got turned for pace a countless amount of times in just 10 minutes, red card could be a blessing for the next 3 games, Hector getting his chance.

Alf and Pog both really wasted good chances in the first 10 minutes, should have been 2-0 up before the pen.

Credit to Adkins for going for it, ended the game with (sort of) 4 strikers on the pitch.

There isn't much we can do when down to 10 besides lump it forward, especially when our most creative player is forced to drop to Right Back.

So they increase the ban if we lose the appeal? How many games is Andy Carroll banned for then?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:16

FridaysGhost Starting to believe that even a play-off spot is pie-in-the-sky. I just hope I'm wrong!

Because we lost with 10 men?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Feb 2014 20:17

peterroyal76
P!ssed Off
Heard this at the time.

TBF to Adie Pissed Off fails to mention that the first two names Adie mentioned were Jordan Obita and Jake Taylor.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 08 Feb 2014 20:18

peterroyal76
jumpers for goalposts Their player was through on the keeper so what has Gorkss got to do with it? Gorkks was a few yards behind the play

'Okay, the referee gives a penalty, but there's no way it should have been a red card'

If it was a penalty then it has to be a red card. Why doesn't he just say I didn't think it was a penalty? Making a cheap excuse for a piss poor error from one of his players who must do better. Pearce is not a particularly good footballer, so his positional play has to improve. Ivar ingimarsson was a classic case of a limited player making the most of what he had by excelling at positional play. Perhaps Pearce could learn from this example

Clear goalscoring opportunity- what level of tint to the RTGs do you need to argue otherwise

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:18

Clearly the FA realised they oxf*rd up with the Carroll situation although why they heard the case again I have no idea.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Feb 2014 20:19

jumpers for goalposts
peterroyal76

Clear goalscoring opportunity- what level of tint to the RTGs do you need to argue otherwise

He'd already lost control of the ball! :roll:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2014 20:22

RoyalBlue
peterroyal76
P!ssed Off
Heard this at the time.

TBF to Adie Pissed Off fails to mention that the first two names Adie mentioned were Jordan Obita and Jake Taylor.

:|
tbf to myself I didn't attempt to quote the whole conversation only the particular bits that I found amusing.
For obvious reasons I didn't find Adie correctly crediting Adkins with the emergence of Obita and Taylor that amusing.

In the name of balance: Adie may well have said a few other sensible things throughout the day.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Feb 2014 20:31

RoyalBlue
peterroyal76

So they increase the ban if we lose the appeal? How many games is Andy Carroll banned for then?

No, they only increase the ban if the appeal is deemed "frivolous". It has to be an absolutely blatant red card for that to happen.

By the sounds of it (I missed the match due to illness), the referee messed up and it was not a clear goalscoring opportunity (because the attacker did not have control of the ball and was unlikely to regain it). However, the benefit of the doubt in appeals goes to the referee i.e. the decision is likely to stand. Without having seen it, it is difficult to tell whether we would be successful with an appeal.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Feb 2014 20:49

3points Agree Wycombe. Thought Gorkss was close enough to mop up. But as has already been said, Pearce should have let the guy shoot and let McCarthy do his stuff

But that's part of my point I don't think Pearce did anything and certainly not intentionally if there was contact.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Feb 2014 20:51

jumpers for goalposts
peterroyal76

So any foul in the penalty area is a penalty area and a red card then? That is what you are suggesting.

The ball had got away from the player, the angle was tight, and Gorkks was pretty close by. That in my view is not a clear goal scoring opportunity.

291 posts