The truth about Royston...

760 posts
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: The truth about Royston...

by SPARTA » 21 Mar 2014 20:35

Pepe the Horseman Roy Roy said he'll play in goals if need be. He'd die for us and that's the truth.

You wait till summer. Like a bat out of hell he'll be gone gone gone.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 22 Mar 2014 06:30

The major issue with Royston and why I can't see him leaving is that he is damaged goods. Royston has been to Real Madrid and messed it up somehow. There was a spat with Moyes at Everton another club in the headlights. People are probably waiting for him to dramatically collapse here and many will look that a team with possibly the strongest on paper 11 in the league failing to get in the playoffs with a Royston in there too as a failure. As that collapse.

However if he was to find form and go to Wembley and have the game of his life getting us up (and I could see that happening as I think he has it in his locker) some will think he's turned the corner. Offers may then rain in, and Royston might be tempted as he wouldn't want a relegation on his CV

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Mar 2014 08:28

Reading4eva However if he was to find form and go to Wembley and have the game of his life getting us up (and I could see that happening as I think he has it in his locker) some will think he's turned the corner. Offers may then rain in, and Royston might be tempted as he wouldn't want a relegation on his CV

Think there's something in this. Wouldn't be surprised if the club is putting him in the shop window for the last 10-15 games. By playing well, RR is more likely to get an offer to leave, which is likely to be in Adkins game plan and will help with the wage bill if SJM doesn't find a new owner by the summer

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Mar 2014 08:33

Was talking to Troy McClure and apparently the 'real deal' with Royston Drenthe is that he's a Dutch football player. He's in his mid to late Twenties, is unmarried, and currently plays for Reading FC. Thanks for writing!
Last edited by sandman on 22 Mar 2014 11:28, edited 2 times in total.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 22 Mar 2014 09:06

sandman The 'truth' about Royston Drenthe is that he's a Dutch!

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 22 Mar 2014 11:05

sandman The 'truth' about Royston Drenthe is that he's a Dutch football player. He's in his mid to late Twenties, is unmarried, and currently plays for Reading FC. Thanks for writing!

Have you considered a career in journalism. There may be some vacancies shortly at a local paper.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Mar 2014 11:18

Reading4eva The major issue with Royston and why I can't see him leaving is that he is damaged goods. Royston has been to Real Madrid and messed it up somehow. There was a spat with Moyes at Everton another club in the headlights. People are probably waiting for him to dramatically collapse here and many will look that a team with possibly the strongest on paper 11 in the league failing to get in the playoffs with a Royston in there too as a failure. As that collapse.

However if he was to find form and go to Wembley and have the game of his life getting us up (and I could see that happening as I think he has it in his locker) some will think he's turned the corner. Offers may then rain in, and Royston might be tempted as he wouldn't want a relegation on his CV

I doubt any club looking at a player would be affected by seeing they were part of a relegated team. The emphasis on TEAM.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2014 11:22

Quite, in fact, on the contrary, a good player in a relegated team would be snapped up as they would, no doubt, be cheaper than if they being purchased from a Premier League team, shirley?

And I really wouldn't concern ourselves too much with whether we might be relegated from Premier League next season!!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 22 Mar 2014 11:40

Could be wrong, but wasn't his previous Russian club relegated? Maybe he left before they actually were relegated, but I thought that's what I heard.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Mar 2014 10:26

Agent Balti
melonhead
Royal Lady Don't knock it ffs. Could do with more players feeling like this tbh.

bless him for saying it

even if he would be off in a shot if a bigger team offered him more money

You make that sounds like he's the only mercenary ever to slip on the shirt. You're right, I would be very surprised if he's here come the start of next season (in the Championship) but still, he wouldn't be alone to chase the money.

Yeah, applies to everyone. And it's easy to mouth these platitudes but I like it. It's nice to hear.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Mar 2014 13:19

Agent Balti Could be wrong, but wasn't his previous Russian club relegated? Maybe he left before they actually were relegated, but I thought that's what I heard.

We activated his release clause upon relegation, Galatasaray and his old club are linked similarly to us and Galatasaray notified us of his availability.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 23 Mar 2014 18:43

maffff
Agent Balti Could be wrong, but wasn't his previous Russian club relegated? Maybe he left before they actually were relegated, but I thought that's what I heard.

We activated his release clause upon relegation, Galatasaray and his old club are linked similarly to us and Galatasaray notified us of his availability.

He was free, there was no release clause

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 23 Mar 2014 18:50

urz13
maffff

He was free, there was no release clause

Reading have activated a clause in the player’s contract following Alania’s relegation from the top flight.

Wout Stravers, editor-in-chief of Dutch football site voetbalprimeur.nl, said: “He reached an agreement this week and because of the relegation of Alania he is a free agent.

“He can leave without a transfer fee so that’s probably the reason why Reading can afford him.”

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... id-4312780

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Mar 2014 19:08

he was free, and there was a release clause.
well done, youre both right

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 28 Apr 2014 23:51

I don't claim to be ITK (generally because I never am) but I was told by someone at the club that Royston is not actually injured at all & was dropped for disciplinary reasons.

By all accounts he went out on the lash in Liverpool on Thu or Fri night last week & posted a load of incriminating videos on Instagram. I just had a look & there's one on there from around that time where one of his mates looks fcuked & someone is trying to offer him shisha so could well be something in it?

I really hope the club can get rid of this guy in the summer.

LJ

by LJ » 29 Apr 2014 00:15

FWIW my brother called him a sh*t cnut in the queue for Q bar the Friday before the Leicester game and Roy got him banned.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Apr 2014 00:17

Your brother sounds like a lovely chap.

LJ

by LJ » 29 Apr 2014 00:23

It was purely performance-related criticism blown out of proportion by his entourage.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 29 Apr 2014 07:02

The truth is he's scored fewer goals than Mass Sarr did for us.

Utter waste of money but I suppose he did help earn a few points against Brighton & Leeds so thanks for that.

Hopefully someone buys into his hype and potential and buys him in the summer, he's had chance after chance here and just can't do it consistently.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Apr 2014 08:43

Wikipedia says he missed games when he was at the height of his career after fan criticism. There might be issues with which we aren't aware surrounding his general mental outlook.

We are not going to be able to sell him, but the best thing for all concerned would be for him to get a loan to one of these leagues where they are likely to pay reasonable wages for former Real Madrid starlets. Sunderland had Asamoah Gyan, who was £12 million and similarly shit, but managed to palm him off on a UAE team, and Alves from Middlesbrough went to Qatar; I presume the club will be trying their hardest to broker a deal like that.

760 posts