The I hate Brighton Thread

211 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The I hate Brighton Thread

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 May 2014 20:40

In terms of overall history there's nothing in it between the 2 clubs

But recently when did they last finish higher in the league than us? Just once in living memory I reckon - the year we both went up from league 1

Or beat us in the league for that matter - its probably that Zamora game on the unplayable pitch at withdean the same season

BrightonEye

by BrightonEye » 02 May 2014 21:05

I've been finding this thread wonderfully entertaining, not least for its confirmation of just how much our two clubs actually have in common. Humble origins recently eclipsed by a rush to nouveau riche. Decades of underachievement enlivened by occasional bursts of all-too-transient excellence. Plus, of course, a fully retractable supporter base that, being overwhelmingly middle-class, posts its acidic message board insults in the kind of elegant and grammatical prose of which Millwall's finest could scarcely dream. But there's a ludicrous futility in characterising 20,000 + people on the basis of a few message board ramblings.

So, what exactly is 'tinpot'? Goes without saying that any kind of goal music really is a bit crap – witness mortified Burnley fans on their forum currently fearing Tom Hark ridicule from the big boys next season. But to accuse another club of being tinpot when your own sees fit to dish out 30,000 cardboard clackers for its biggest game in 30 years against its biggest rival most certainly takes the, er, biscuit. Both our clubs have surely overdone the razzmatazz, to the extent of my finding it impossible to stomach the 150 dB North Korean pre-match rituals at our place.

But when all's said and done, it's not real life; and message boards are only a game… As indeed are tomorrow's proceedings at the Madejski and Turf Moor. May the best team win. A long as it's us.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 02 May 2014 21:07

You sound fit, what are you wearing?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 May 2014 22:11

BrightonEye I've been finding this thread wonderfully entertaining, not least for its confirmation of just how much our two clubs actually have in common. Humble origins recently eclipsed by a rush to nouveau riche. Decades of underachievement enlivened by occasional bursts of all-too-transient excellence. Plus, of course, a fully retractable supporter base that, being overwhelmingly middle-class, posts its acidic message board insults in the kind of elegant and grammatical prose of which Millwall's finest could scarcely dream. But there's a ludicrous futility in characterising 20,000 + people on the basis of a few message board ramblings.

So, what exactly is 'tinpot'? Goes without saying that any kind of goal music really is a bit crap – witness mortified Burnley fans on their forum currently fearing Tom Hark ridicule from the big boys next season. But to accuse another club of being tinpot when your own sees fit to dish out 30,000 cardboard clackers for its biggest game in 30 years against its biggest rival most certainly takes the, er, biscuit. Both our clubs have surely overdone the razzmatazz, to the extent of my finding it impossible to stomach the 150 dB North Korean pre-match rituals at our place.

But when all's said and done, it's not real life; and message boards are only a game… As indeed are tomorrow's proceedings at the Madejski and Turf Moor. May the best team win. A long as it's us.

*As

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 May 2014 22:29

BrightonEye I've been finding this thread wonderfully entertaining, not least for its confirmation of just how much our two clubs actually have in common. Humble origins recently eclipsed by a rush to nouveau riche. Decades of underachievement enlivened by occasional bursts of all-too-transient excellence. Plus, of course, a fully retractable supporter base that, being overwhelmingly middle-class, posts its acidic message board insults in the kind of elegant and grammatical prose of which Millwall's finest could scarcely dream. But there's a ludicrous futility in characterising 20,000 + people on the basis of a few message board ramblings.

Tinpot post.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 02 May 2014 22:42

BrightonEye But when all's said and done, it's not real life; and message boards are only a game… As indeed are tomorrow's proceedings at the Madejski and Turf Moor. May the best team win. A long as it's us.

I certainly don't see any proceedings at Turf Moor tomorrow being of much import.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 May 2014 22:51

BrightonEye Goes without saying that any kind of goal music really is a bit crap

Maybe you working class types thing it is a sign of your club becoming too family friendly, but at Reading we're strongly in favour of anything that embarrasses the riff-raff.

Did your chairman try and impose a minute's silence for Thatcher?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 May 2014 22:52

I've already got more than enough disdain for the players and fans of my own club to bother worrying about other teams.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 May 2014 08:25

BrightonEye So, what exactly is 'tinpot'?

Any club that gives a toss about Reading is, by definition, a tinpot club.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 03 May 2014 08:53

Platypuss I've already got more than enough disdain for the players and fans of my own club to bother worrying about other teams.

+ lots. We are pretty shìt to be fair.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 03 May 2014 13:13

sandman
Pat Butchers Ring What is it about this no mark club that makes them think they are the Real Madrid of the south. They detest Reading and are spitting with jealousy at what we have achieved in the last 20 years.

What have these mugs ever won?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... ht=Reading

Yeah, boo Brighton, bunch of gheys.

I got to tell you, I thought the blacks they had at QPR were bad but turns out they're nothing compared to the fags they've got at Brighton etc.

Booooooooo Brighton.

This is not socially acceptable on 2 accounts dear sandman.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 May 2014 15:25

Good job I wasn't being serious then.

scumbag

by scumbag » 03 May 2014 15:29

Well done Brighton.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 May 2014 18:21

Still dislike Brighton but nowhere near as much as QPR - so if they both end up in the final, good luck Brighton.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 03 May 2014 18:42

Yep, hope they do well. Rather them than the other 3 personally.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 May 2014 18:50

End of the day, they did what they had to do and we didn`t, so we have no reason to complain . still hink they will get well stuffed by Derby, but they are there, Christ I hate QPR, dislike Brighton and Wigan by the same levels...Got no problems wih Derby :D

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 03 May 2014 19:05

Have you seen the amount of them benders on our social media sites.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 03 May 2014 19:09

Ah, that's it. Use homophobic language like the stand-up individual you are.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 May 2014 19:20

I have no problem with the people from Brighton. you get idiots from both our teams that love to throw insults at each other, thankfully they account for a very small percentage of both our forums.
The table really doesn`t lie so today at 3.00pm we found ourselves outside the play-offs, no amount of cursing and swearing will change that. good luck Brighton, but I think Derby will stuff you,

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 04 May 2014 03:45

Like last year, I hope Brighton prove everyone wrong.

Like last year, I suspect that they won't...

211 posts